Skip to comments.Another Today Show / "Matt Lauer" lie.
Posted on 10/06/2006 11:30:20 AM PDT by Red6
On the Thursday, October 5, 2006, edition of the Today Show, Matt Lauer announced that Ms. McGee was "unemployed" because "she says she showed some students some art and it got her fired." Ms. McGee also stated on camera "[i]t really blindsided me to go in the next day and realize my job was over." Finally, Ms. McGee claimed the principal reprimanded her for exposing students to nude art.
All of these statements are false, despite the real facts being available to the media and Ms. McGee for weeks.
The real facts are:
1) The Today Show showed its audience a memo dated May 18, 2006 and quoted from it. What the Today Show ignored and failed to disclose to the public was a statement in the memo from the principal that she was "confident that [they] can work together to ensure that our students receive an exemplary art education and that you can be successful at Fisher Elementary." The same memo identifies the principal's "expectations for the 2006-2007 school year . . ." for Ms. McGee.
2) Since Ms. McGee was an employee of the Frisco ISD in April of 2006, as well as now, she could not have been "blindsided" to "realize her job was over" the day following the field trip.
3) The trip to the Dallas Museum of Art did not "get her fired." The Frisco ISD has been taking students to the DMA for years and will continue to do so. No teacher has ever been fired for taking a field trip to the DMA.
4) Ms. McGee has not been fired and is still an employee of the Frisco ISD receiving full pay and benefits under her contract.
The District is disappointed and concerned that Ms. McGee continues to mislead the public and, more importantly, that the major media networks in America continue to ignore the facts that they have gathered.
Creating false and inaccurate perceptions that are there to create the 'conflict' which sells the story (All successful stories have conflict) is in reality nothing less than 'lying'.
"Will the media correct themselves?"
In a word -- no.
* facts * complicate * things * alert.
Here are some previous links to the original story and then a follow up.
Art Teacher Loses Job After Kids See Nude Sculpture
The Indy Channel ^ | September 26, 2006 | AP
Posted on 09/26/2006 12:33:20 PM EDT by Abathar
Frisco teacher had past criticism (Suspended Art Teacher)
The Dallas Morning News ^ | October 4, 2006 | KAREN AYRES
Posted on 10/04/2006 10:28:01 PM EDT by Texican72
My ISP's login page has gossip about Lauer splitting with his preggo wife.
The District, with all respect, needs to get a clue. The media aren't going to let the facts get between them and a good story -- especially if it attacks the values upon which our freedoms depend.
if true, the wife will be better off in the long run.
The Today Show mislead and Matt Lauer lie? I'm shocked!!
Reckless disregard for the truth is rampant in the MSM: I see a lawsuit being filed immediately asking for millions in punitive damages.
probably true...he appears to be gay (he most definitely is a biased lib/dem and carries the dnc water everyday)...maybe he will be moving in with foley in Florida!!!
Is the today show still on TV?
Thank you for your service....
Unlike the facts I quoted in the original article, this is pure opinion that follows.
Why would the main stream media play this up?
Think about it; religious zealot freaks that oppress freedom of speech etc. This fits into their world and how they want to see it.
Is the victim a teacher who is lying and now even claiming to have made more than she ever did? I guess she wants a pay raise out of the deal as well? Or is it a school system that is falsely reported on by a media looking for a 'shock and awe' story and willing to leave out not so minor details that completely change everything?
In the end, the victim becomes the culprit, and the culprit the victim, just leave it to the media.
I thank you for yours as well.
I knew that story smelled.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.