Skip to comments.Public Opinion in Mexico on U.S. Immigration: Zogby Poll Examines Attitudes
Posted on 10/14/2009 9:18:51 AM PDT by AuntB
A new survey by Zogby International finds that people in Mexico think that granting legal status to illegal immigrants in the United States would encourage more illegal immigration to the United States. As the top immigrant-sending country for both legal and illegal immigrants, views on immigration in Mexico can provide insight into the likely impact of an amnesty, as well as other questions related to immigration.
Among the findings:
* A clear majority of people in Mexico, 56 percent, thought giving legal status to illegal immigrants in the United States would make it more likely that people they know would go to the United States illegally. Just 17 percent thought it would make Mexicans less likely to go illegally. The rest were unsure or thought it would make no difference.
* Of Mexicans with a member of their immediate household in the United States, 65 percent said a legalization program would make people they know more likely to go to America illegally.
* Two-thirds of Mexicans know someone living in the United States; one-third said an immediate member of their household was living in the United States.
* Interest in going to the United States remains strong even in the current recession, with 36 percent of Mexicans (39 million people) saying they would move to the United States if they could. At present, 12 to 13 million Mexico-born people live in the United States.
* A new Pew Research Center poll also found that about one-third of Mexicans would go to the United States if they could.
* An overwhelming majority (69 percent) of people in Mexico thought that the primary loyalty of Mexican-Americans (Mexico- and U.S.-born) should be to Mexico. Just 20 percent said it should be to the United States. The rest were unsure.
* Also, 69 percent of people in Mexico felt that the Mexican government should represent the interests of Mexican-Americans (Mexico- and U.S.-born) in the United States.
* A plurality, 39 percent, of Mexicans thought that in the last year fewer people they know had gone to the United States as illegal immigrants compared to previous years. Only 27 percent thought more had gone. The rest thought it had stayed the same or were unsure.
* A plurality, 40 percent, also thought that in the last year more of the illegal immigrants they know had returned to Mexico compared to previous years. Only 25 percent thought the number returning had fallen. The rest thought it had stayed the same or were unsure.
* Both the bad economy and increased immigration enforcement were cited as reasons fewer people were going to America as illegal immigrants and more were coming back to Mexico.
As the nation debates the issue of immigration, the perspective of people in Mexico is important because Mexico is the top sending country for both legal and illegal immigrants. In 2008, one of six new legal immigrants was from Mexico and, according to the Department of Homeland Security, six out of 10 illegal immigrants come from that country.1 Asking people in Mexico their views on immigration can provide insight into the likely impact of an amnesty for illegal immigrants and other questions related to immigration.[snip]
Oh, yeah! We need more of that!
Would encourage? Amnesty has been encouraging illegals to come to American since the 1987 amnesty. Another one would just put the encouragement on steroids.
That is the problem with having a flood of people from the country next door and not from overseas.
They used to have to be cleared in NY after crossing in ships and it was tough to get back at all. That IMO made them loyal to their new country over the old one.
The exact opposite is true of Mexicans and why they still consider Mexico #1, though it is one big #2 IMO.
This poll shows why we should never give the illegals amnesty.
We already have 12 to 20 million here out of a population of about 100 million.
This is destroying two countries, Mexico and the United States.
Our policy should be to help Mexico develop its own people and resources.
Captain Obvious, please contact your local rat politician. The rats are still pushing the ridiculous idea that this amnesty will be the last one with no more illegal immigration problems.
I am so sick of this pussy footing around while Americans are being robbed, murdered, run over, fleeced, and bankrupted by these parasites.
Some years back a US team played Mexico in SAN DIEGO, and the Mexican fans —in the US— were chanting, OSAMA.
They also threw plastic jugs of PISS on the US players when they left the field.
So... When is the GOP going to run with an anti-amnesty, anti-tax, pro borders, pro business candidate? The polls indicate that’s what we want, so why won’t they give it to us!?
Manueverable, fast weapon panning
George Will nicely phrased it - the immigrants were "pyschologically guillotined". After they arrived they could get by with native language newspapers and enclaves but by the third and fourth, if not the second generation, their families had integrated and become Americans. I knew many an immigrant family, even as late as the '40s (yeah, I'm THAT old) where gramps spoke only the old country language, his kids were bi-lingual, and their kids spoke only English. As per the poll, these newbies don't want to become Americans, just live like them.
There was also an deep appreciation of the opportunites here compared with the Old Country. I worked with a Russian Jew who, one day, showed me his property tax bill. I thought he was bitching about the amount (this was California) and I agreed that it was high. he said, "What are you talking about? In my country I couldn't even OWN property. Now I am a Land Owner!"
“Our policy should be to help Mexico develop its own people and resources.”
Agreed. But how do we do that? We send them millions of tax dollars every year...this year 1.4 BILLION...which goes right in the drug cartel pockets as mexico only encourages their poor and criminal to migrate here.
Well here in CA about 5% of Mexican boys even graduate high school. Lord knows how many tens of thousands a year their families cost the state in support, food, baby sitting services, housing, medical and education.
“So... When is the GOP going to run with an anti-amnesty, anti-tax, pro borders, pro business candidate? The polls indicate thats what we want, so why wont they give it to us!?”
When hell freezes over I guess. I’d be happy if they’d just follow the GOP platform and if squisy moderates like McCain and Graham would just admit they are NOT republicans and don’t support the platform.
“We oppose amnesty. The rule of law suffers if
government policies encourage or reward illegal activity. The American peoples rejection of en masse
legalizations is especially appropriate given the fed-
eral governments past failures to enforce the law.....One sign of our unity is our English language.
For newcomers, it has always been the fastest route
to prosperity in America. English empowers. We
support English as the official language in our nation [snip]
That's exactly what George W. Bush did when he signed the Partnership for Prosperity Agreement (with Mexico) in 2001.
As a result, we're sending billions of US taxpayer dollars south of the border.
The Mexicans still don't want to live in Mexico. They'd rather come here so they can take advantage of the social infrastructure here in the USA.
Got any other bright ideas?
"As Governor of Arizona Janet Napolitano was always a good friend to illegal aliens trying to sneak into our country. She gave them free college educations and free daycare for their children as any welcoming host would.
As Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano avoids even saying the words terror or vulnerability proving she has no business heading HLS. Now Secretary Napolitano has passed a new threshold of linguistic gymnastics.
According to her latest announcement the burglars who sneak into our country with their hands out who were once correctly called illegal aliens then illegal immigrants and more recently undocumented immigrants must now be called newly-arrived asylum seekers."[snip]
IF the plan is to actually reclassify aliens as 'refugees', this will be amnesty by stealth...refugees are often given legal status by the State Dept and never counted as legal entrants. This is a GIANT shell game.
* An overwhelming majority (69 percent) of people in Mexico thought that the primary loyalty of Mexican-Americans (Mexico- and U.S.-born) should be to Mexico. Just 20 percent said it should be to the United States.
Oh, yeah! We need more of that!
Having to resort to these projectile weapons is our fault for not immediately nuking the site from orbit which is, as you are well aware, the only way to be sure.
They mostly come at night. Mostly.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.