Skip to comments.WSJ: Dim Future for Men
Posted on 05/07/2010 4:11:50 PM PDT by Christian Cage
In an article titled Meet the Unemployable Man, the Wall Street Journal paints a dismal picture of the future for men in America, particularly those without college degrees. Lawrence Summers, Obamas economic advisor, is quoted in the article saying:
A good guess is that when the economy recovers five years from now, one in six men who are 25 to 54 will not be working
So it looks as though the future is bleak for men, and there wont be much of a recovery at all if Americas top economist knows what hes talking about. For the poorly educated men who do get work, it will likely be low wage, but they may be lucky for those who have been out of work long-term, chances that they will ever work again drop precipitously.
The article, written by David Wessel, actually seems to hint that it would be morally wrong to do nothing about the current crisis a consideration that has not entered the public conscience for a long time in regards to men:
Sidelining a huge part of an entire generation of men would waste human potential, create economic misery for their families and fuel political discontent.
Could it be that people are beginning to feel that abuse and neglect of men is in itself morally objectionable? We can only hope so. I dont think such a sentiment has existed in America since the Great Depression, when depictions of men as human beings in works of art such as The Grapes of Wrath spurred action to alleviate the miserable lot of so many men.
(Excerpt) Read more at the-spearhead.com ...
What is true, is that establishment has to be replaced with proper conservatives, not weak-kneed moderates like Bob Bennett, who prostrate themselves over the alter of political correctness.
Republicans AWOL, my *ss. Democrats and the Obamamedia make sure they aren’t heard though.
And, Democrats caused the problems.
Oh, to be young again. /s
Every leftist and populist right or left says capitalism is broken and crashing and a failure. In fact it continues to run the world.
Every peacenik and isolationist and foreign tinput dictator says American power is over and the US doesn't have the stomach to fight and should try and can't afford it. In fact the US military continues to rule the world.
Everyone says the west is dying. In fact it continues to run the world.
Everywhere, every human institution that is vibrant and creative and successful, that makes all the value and justice anyone alive has ever experienced, is slandered and ridiculed and impugned, occasionally invited to partake of the pathetic status of a helpless victim (as here). But it is all nonsense.
Hysterical ingraditude is rampant.
And intelligent brave principled western men, continue to rule the frickin world. And we ain't going anywhere.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it. God how I wish these idiots would shut up.
Summers, et al, in the Obama administration are betting on this.
The public school system is clearly failing males. Start there.
So, basically, Western society will morph into one that resembles sub-saharan Africa.
Hmmm -- 16+% static unemployment for prime-age workers -- in "good" times...
What about "bad" times?
Umm...sorry, but decades of crippling anti-industrial government policies such as ever increasing and expensive CAFE standards, Co2 emissions nonsense, minimum wage increases that end up denying a lot of young men from gaining work experience, along with ridiculous union contracts have priced the US out of manufacturing, and resulted in the absence of a lot of jobs that young men could be working in.
Our national acceptance of utopian liberal premises about education, economics, environmentalism, job creation is coming back to bite us.
That's because they're not Barrie's prime constituency.
Obama’s prime constituency is women, they voted for him 70-29 in the 2008 elections. They viewed as a celebrity, not a fuddy-duddy politician.
Not sure about the basic premise of this assertion. What about all the illegals that were doing unskilled work? If there’s little no demand for unskilled work, why were they doing so well for so long? Most of them had grade-school educations and didn’t speak decent English.
They won't ignore us after Nov 2, 2010.
It'll be headlines everywhere. We'll vote, nearly en masse, to throw the liberals out.
We'll be the most feared voting bloc in the US.
45% of votes cast this fall will be by White Men, and we'll vote 90% GOP...at least, that's MY prediction.
We're the best at everything that counts...including murderous war.
The left will continue to push until that lesson must be re-learned by them.
I just want a job, that’s all. Is that too much to ask? I’m really tired of being out of work.
‘Worker drone’ or not, it’s my choice whether or not to get drunk. Pay me, I’ll work hard go home, rinse repeat. Maybe someday I’ll be able to afford to get married. :(
Yep, I think Obama has cured most of the white folks who voted for him out of a “noble” desire to play a part in a “historic event”. He’s also cured those who fell for his post-racial-rhetoric ruse. Fool me once, shame on you...
Lifting one finger is all it takes to dismiss them completely.
Sounds like our model countries in EUROPE!
And intelligent brave principled western men, continue to rule the frickin world. And we ain’t going anywhere.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it. God how I wish these idiots would shut up.
But surely he will see to it that they get “social justice” and affirmative action when they are the minority, right?
I have a college degree as well. *sigh*.
Before Obama I had 3 jobs!
“Girls... you had better marry a real man... because one day you will need one”. Dr. Laura
That was BO
AO, I have had none! What degree do you have?
We need affirmative action to compensate us for our disadvantage.
If I were some mealy-mouthed incumbent politician or smug political insider and I read that it was likely that an army of 10’s of millions of men in their prime were likely to be unemployed for the next 5 years based largely on the crap done by government over the past several years, I would be scared shitless.
“... particularly those without college degrees.”
The operative words....”real men” need to get in debt..so they can be controlled....
I hope more will tear themselves away from watching sporting events and start paying attention to what’s happening. They need to turn out en masse for the November elections, to let the politicians know they are a force.
“Its all a part of the big plan”.
They need to tie in the healhtcare repeal as the first step to getting the hell out of the way of us citizens and companies trying to make a living.
THIRTEEN Point Agenda for Restoring the Federal Government to Constitutional Compliance.
1. Win back the House. Do not let a single democrat idea through.
2. Increase presence in Senate and filibuster every single democrat anything.
3. Lay groundwork for repealing Obamacare. Keep track of all tax monies collected for Obamacare and plan to give it back to the people it was taken from.
4. Propose eliminating many federal departments and agencies. Shrink the beast. Stop funding education, arts, welfare (state issue), every department and agency not explicitly enumerated in Article 1. The power under each department goes back to accountable legislators, not unaccountable appointed executive branch hacks.
5. Nothing in the federal budget is untouchable. No more non-discretionary mandated spending. Increase veto overrides on the federal budget to 75%.
6. Gut the IRS. Replace with flat tax of 10%.
7. Secure and defend our borders. Enforce immigration laws. If illegals complain, pass the “We will treat Illegals Like Mexico Does” law and enact Mexico’s laws against all illegals.
8. Allow people to opt out of the social security ponzi scheme.
9. End any grants based on a person’s race, gender or any other divisive quality. Stop all practices the federal government does that divides and pits one group of Americans against another group. Or that makes one class of citizens “more equal” than another. Repeal all hate crime legislation. All crimes are hate crimes.
10. End the Unconstitutional practice of executive orders becoming “laws”. Executive orders will only apply as rules exeutive officers and employees need to follow, as regulations, not laws that bypass the legislative process. The President does not get to create law out of thin air, by Executive Order. These executive orders must be bound by current US law, and cannot supercede any US laws. They are rules and regulations for folks in the executive branch, period.
11. End any attempts to create National ID cards, national firearm registries, etc.
12. Get the government out of the marketplace and make the market free again. The referee cannot also be a player and be impartial. That means letting bad businesses fail. That means not being in bed with certain industries. That means ending hyper-regulation of certain industries. that means stopping artificially propping up industries with subsidies (ethanol, tobacco, sugar, corn, etc).
13. Promote the idea that government is not God, is not your parent, to give you every little desire you have. It is not the church, it is not a charity, it is not able to take care of everything, it is not efficient, it is not better when it’s bigger. People live best generally when government is out of the way and off of their backs. Explain that the goal is to get government out of the way, but that means the people in each state will decide how much government they want in their lives at their own state and local levels, and that people will eventually migrate to the places that appeal to them best. For those that want others to take care of them, there will be liberal enclaves. For those that want freedom and believe they can manage their own lives better than politicians can, there will be towns, and states for people to go to as well.
And Zer0 is piling on taxes and regulatory burdens that will make it more difficult for these chronically unemployed me to start small businesses. Zer0, you better get their guns before they come after you, because it will happen if Conservatives don’t get a huge election win this fall.
The coming collapse, engineered by slobbering idiots like Summers, will leave huge demand for people who actually know how to do stuff. You know, like wire houses and fix plumbing, and computers, and cars.
A versatile handyman will be worth 100 per hour after the Fall, when jerkwater mandarins from Ivy League faculties are clueless as to how to get their "green" cars started and how to hook up their "solar panels" that suddenly quit working.
In the Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King.
15. Make the teaching of any subject whose name ends in "...Studies" punishable by hard labor in Alaska.
16. Pass the New Mexico law on psychology.
17. Sell every member of Congress who voted for Obamacare into indentured servitude.
Actually I need a 14th point. ENDING ANCHOR BABY CITIZENSHIP. When neither parent is American, there is NO WAY they get US citizenship just because they are popped out on US soil. This flawed practice will end.