Skip to comments.Aaron Zelman's (JPFO) open letter to Ted Nugent about the NRA
Posted on 10/07/2010 9:00:29 AM PDT by Jeff Head
First, I personally thank you for the valuable work you have done, and are doing, for the Second Amendment. You have used your talent, success, wit, and celebrity to fight for our freedoms.
Additionally, you are a member of the Board of Directors of the NRA. So this letter is directed to you in strictly that capacity. Why? Because I believe that you will listen. And you have the standing and respect within the NRA to actually do something regarding the issues I’d like to bring to your attention.
We at JPFO recently received a letter from an angry and very articulate fellow who took the vast majority of gun owners to task for not being NRA members. He rightly points out that there are more than eighty million gun owners and only five million members of any pro-gun organization, the NRA obviously being the largest.
I read this fellow’s letter a couple of times, and could not fault him on his spirit or personal philosophy. What bothered me was that he was asking me to join the NRA.
Ted, the day I’ll join the NRA is…
1. When the NRA announces, from the rooftops, that the police have NO LEGAL DUTY to protect the average American citizen. Time after time, our courts have upheld this. If every American understood this, we would see gun ownership, and Second Amendment awareness, burgeon across our nation. The tide would resolutely turn in our favor.
One of JPFO’s finest projects was the book “Dial 911 and Die”. It is meticulously documented with actual court cites. Why didn’t the NRA, years ago, publish this material in a reader friendly format for nationwide distribution?
♦ Why didn’t the NRA, years ago, publish this material in a reader friendly format for nationwide distribution?
NEXT: I’ll join the NRA…
2. When the NRA aggressively presses to abolish all concealed carry permit laws. How has an unalienable right to self defense been demoted to a revocable government granted privilege? Unregistered concealed carry has been no big issue in both Alaska and Vermont for decades. Arizona just passed unregistered concealed legislation. It’s time for the NRA to start swimming strongly with this tide. Yes, it’s a victory for gun owners when a State like Minnesota finally allows registered carry, but we must see it for what it still is: an un-Constitutional infringement on our G-d* given right to self defense, see: "The Ten Commandments of Self Defense". It is also an obvious way to add more gun owner names to a list and database. (*Out of respect, observant Jews do not write out the name of the Almighty in secular texts.)
♦ How has an unalienable right to self defense been demoted to a revocable government granted privilege?
NEXT: I’ll join the NRA…
3. When the NRA calls for the complete and unconditional disbanding of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE). Gun owners should be appalled at the NRA leadership’s incestuous “good cop/bad cop” dance with the BATFE. For decades there has been a symbiotic, and liberty threatening, “good ole’ boy” relationship between NRA and BATFE. They should instead be mortal enemies.
♦ They should instead be mortal enemies.
The BATFE’s abuses are legion and despicable. These criminal acts crested like a bloody wave with the horrific deceit and treachery the agency displayed at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, and then at Waco, Texas.
JPFO has produced a documentary about the BATFE called “The Gang” for which you kindly donated footage, showing you teaching teenagers how to use firearms safely. As you know, “The Gang” is not specifically about Ruby Ridge or Waco, it’s about how, with deliberate regularity, the BATFE criminally harasses honest gun owners.
Did you know that, back during the Administration of Ronald Reagan, President Reagan actually wanted to dismantle the then “BATF”? Who stopped him? The NRA! See this Time Magazine article that reports this hypocrisy.
The NRA has publicly stated that it wants to “work with” BATFE to punish the criminal use of guns, see: copy of NRA response letter. We don’t need these bucket headed, jack booted paramilitary goons playing cops in our lives. Let the local police, county sheriff, State police, or the FBI, do what they were assigned and sworn to do in the first place.
♦ We don’t need these bucket headed, jack booted paramilitary goons playing cops in our lives.
On top of that, tobacco is a drug. Alcohol is a drug. Give that authority to the FDA. Explosives? Wasn’t that an FBI specialty already?
And then there’s the firearms. This means “gun control”, and every single threat to our freedom that comes along with it.
NEXT: I’ll join the NRA…
4. When the NRA soundly condemns, and works tirelessly to abolish, the “Gun Control Act of 1968”. NRA lawyers actually helped to write this piece of totalitarian legislation. JPFO was the first to expose “GCA ‘68” for what it was: a near carbon copy of the Nazi German gun laws of the 1930s. See: "Gun Control" Gateway to Tyranny.
The NRA needs to “man up” and confess that it made a terrible mistake here. It needs to go on an Obama style apology tour of every State, and personally confess this sin to American gun owners. And then repent.
Gun registration (brought to you by GCA ’68) is intolerable in a free society. In Nazi Germany, Jews were forced to identify themselves with a yellow star. In America, our citizens are forced to identify their ownership of firearms with a form called a “4473” and concealed weapon permits.
♦ In Nazi Germany, Jews were forced to identify themselves with a yellow star.
Now, with the computer age fully entrenched in our society, a centralized database of all gun owners and their firearms’ serial numbers is just a mouse click away. The BATFE claims it would never do this. But they are already doing it with their phony 'eTrace' program. They actually share information about American gun owners with foreign governments! This could have ominous repercussions.
Let’s analyze why “GCA ‘68” even passed. It was because of the political assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy, and Martin Luther King. Without those three murders, the American people would have scoffed at the idea of national “gun control”. The highly emotionalized loss of the lives of three public figures, tragic though it was, created enough manipulated hysteria in this nation to essentially throw the Second Amendment out the window.
But what about the hundreds of thousands of brave Americans who have died fighting, generation after generation, to protect our Bill of Rights? Instead of standing firm in the face of this 1968 “gun control” travesty, when a far more conservative America could have been effectively rallied, the NRA got in bed with the gun prohibitionists and actually helped pen the legislation. See: "NRA Supported the National Firearms Act of 1934"and GCA68.
NEXT: I’ll join the NRA…
5. When the NRA quits kowtowing to authoritarian police bureaucrats and takes a no compromise stand against the increasing paramilitarization of our local and State law enforcement agencies.
It’s time to quit building a standing army in America, masquerading as local SWAT teams and hooded “tactical units”. Federal money is lavishly splashed at these local law enforcement agencies. And, as we all know, payback day cannot be far away.
When push comes to shove, can we depend on local cops who have been suckling at the Federal teat, and attending Federal brainwashing seminars?
The NRA has to get in the face of all local police and ask them, point blank: “Will you ever assist in the disarming of the American citizenry?” Any cop who answers in the affirmative must be drummed out of the ranks.
♦ Any cop who answers in the affirmative must be drummed out of the ranks.
“To Protect and Serve” does not mean “To Disarm and Enslave”.
NEXT: I’ll join the NRA…
6. When the NRA assertively speaks to our active duty military personnel and respectfully (but emphatically) reminds them that any disarming of innocent Americans is a blatant and evil breach of their oath to uphold and protect our Constitution. The NRA needs to follow the lead of Oath Keepers in reaching out to both soldiers and cops.
That disgusting “czarette” Janet Napolitano, of Homeland Security, actually had the gall to imply that homecoming soldiers posed a threat because they could be “recruited” by “extremist” groups. The NRA should be at the top of that list of so-called “extremist” groups!
These hard line Leftists have to understand one thing: If forced to, we are unwilling to give them any quarter to protect our freedom. And every freedom loving American should expect that active duty soldiers, who have sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution against enemies foreign and domestic, will stand, gun in hand, by the side of The People if push ever comes to shove.
♦ These hard line Leftists have to understand one thing: If forced to, we are unwilling to give them any quarter to protect our freedom.
NEXT: I’ll join the NRA…
7. When the NRA forcefully and persistently brings up the uncontestable fact that every major genocide of the 20th Century was preceded by “gun control” policies. Disarmed millions became the victims of government sponsored or condoned mass murder.
What far too many American gun owners are so hesitant to face is that the greatest criminals in history have not been common street thugs. By a huge, huge factor, the greatest criminal element in modern history has been government-gone-bad.
The Founders didn’t pen the Second Amendment to protect us from muggers and rapists or burglars. That’s actually a secondary benefit. They penned the Second Amendment to protect us from our own government! See: "2A Today for The USA".
At one time in America, this somber ideal was actually taught in public schools. Now a kid can’t even draw a picture of a gun or take a “Goody Gun” cookie to school for lunch. The insane poison of political correctness runs amok in our nation today. Ted, you don’t put up with the p.c. garbage, why does the NRA?
♦ The Founders didn’t pen the Second Amendment to protect us from muggers and rapists or burglars.
NEXT: I’ll join the NRA…
8. When the NRA honestly and accurately “grades” politicians for their real position on the Second Amendment. Hillary Clinton’s and Charlie Schumer’s pet protégé Kirsten Gillibrand got an “A” rating from the NRA. This is insane.
Gillibrand is now on the band wagon for a reinstated “assault weapons” ban. The NRA: Suckered and betrayed once again.
Ted Nugent running for office gets an “A+” grade from the NRA. That’s the standard they must start with. We cannot grade on a bell curve when it comes to our freedom.
Our politicians must not simply be “pro gun”, they must be fervently pro Second Amendment. It is now time for zero tolerance for any form of “gun control”. Far too often, American gun owners have seen “A” graded politicians waffle and cave on gun law after gun law. If the NRA has to step away from any candidate to uphold our rights, so be it.
♦ Ted Nugent running for office gets an “A+” grade from the NRA. That’s the standard they must start with.
Millions of American gun owners will reject any candidate who betrays our G-d given right to defend our lives.
The time for any sort of compromise is over. We must now retrieve ground that has been lost to past retreats. It is time for the NRA to really start “walking the walk”. Radically downgrade every single politician who has betrayed us in any way in the past.
Ted, you have the clout and celebrity status to bring any or all of these issues directly to the NRA’s Board of Directors. You can also, through your website and fan base, expose countless younger Americans to these critical matters.
♦ You can also, through your website and fan base, expose countless younger Americans to these critical matters.
It’s time to give the American people a very loud wake up call regarding their freedom. No one can say you are shy, Ted. Please, make some of that trademarked Nugent Noise over these crucial issues.
Sincerely, and Yours in Freedom,
Aaron Zelman, Founder and Director of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.
Aaron nails it on the head...the NRA needs a serious course correction. Ted could help provide it.
NRAINO. I agree with all points made. NRA too liberal. Ted Nugent for NRA director / president
Amen to that...Ted could (and would) turn it around. Until then...my money and support now goes to the GOA and JPFO.
However, I intend to remain an NRA member because in my opinon they are currently the "1,000 pound gorilla" of the 2nd Amendment fight (that is, they are the most effective voice we have at this time at the national level).
Of course, I'm also a proud member of the VCDL which, in my opinion, does a better job in Virginia than the NRA. But that's as it should be, isn't it?
Glad you posted this as a separate thread. Thanks and hope you are doing well.
NEXT: Ill join the NRA
8. When the NRA honestly and accurately grades politicians for their real position on the Second Amendment. Hillary Clintons and Charlie Schumers pet protégé Kirsten Gillibrand got an A rating from the NRA. This is insane.
Gillibrand is now on the band wagon for a reinstated assault weapons ban. The NRA: Suckered and betrayed once again.
Ted Nugent running for office gets an A+ grade from the NRA. Thats the standard they must start with. We cannot grade on a bell curve when it comes to our freedom.
Until the NRA changes course, I will throw my money and support behind both GOA and JPFO.
That would be true, if it were not for # 8 on Aaron's list. If the NRA endorses democrat candidates, then they are part of the reason the 2nd Amendment is in trouble. The NRA is actually part of the problem rather than the solution when they support 'rat candidates. There are no pro-gun rats anymore than there are pro-life rats.
As to the NRA, Aaron Zelman hits the nail on the head.
The old "never let a crisis go to waste" theory at work, as it still is today.
I have been a member of the NRA for many years but I am concerned about the support of a few Democrats running this November. Here is a choice, you make the decision.
1. Save your guns
2. Lose your Country
I would rather save the Country first and then kick the ass out of the entire government. And I would caution government to be careful about trying to take my guns.
As far as I am concerned, NRA membership is equivalent to being a registered gun owner. I fully expect them to turn over their lists when the time comes. It is a trap.
Firearms prohibition is a contemperory pre-condition for genocide.
I've been reading your posts and following you on Facebook. I'm glad that you're doing so well. It's great to see the photos of you with your Grandkids.
Only God knows how many days he has blessed us with. There is no guarantee of our days. You, and your family, are doing a mighty job of displaying God's Grace by living each day to the fullest.
You are in His service.
Those are not the choices. As a matter of fact, to lose your guns is to lose your country. Note the correlation between China, Cuba, and Germany, among others.
Why do you think liberals wish to deny use our 2nd Amendment rights under the guise of “safety”? Because an unarmed society is easy to control.
In essence, your money is being used to support liberal candidates. Do you support this use of your contribution?
Damn... that’s one of the best written things I’ve ever seen regarding the NRA! I like it.
NRA support of anything democrat was my line in the sand. Democrats are NOT the same old blue dogs that loved their country, yet just wanted to run it different. This new and improved Socialist Democrat is no less an enemy to America than the Taliban etc ...They hate this nation and it’s heritage . They strive every day to take away or undercut liberty our parents fought to preserve.
I vote with my dollars between elections and make every attempt to understand who stands to gain most every time I purchase anything or donate to a cause. NRA has made it easy for me to spend dollars somewhere other than their organization due their support the current crop of Democrats.
My donations to polidiots or charity are as well thought out as I can before any of my cash is spent on such . My membership of the NRA has lapsed and I told them why. My lifetime memberships to other shooting organizations and groups stands but if they support the NRA’s current mindset then they get no more from me.
For a pro firearms organization, any of em, not just the NRA, to support a member of the Democrat Party is just insanity. Even IF one or two members of that party are pro gun to the nth degree, they keep the majority of socialists in power to take away what the NRA states they fight for.
Like feeding a young tiger over time hoping it wont bite ya when it gets bigger....
Blind trust is gone. Monitor your polidiots and their backers.
My opinion ......Hope yer well Jeff, Stay safe !
More to the point, it's because criminals (especially criminals who hold public office) prefer unarmed victims.
A description of the American liberal in a nutshell:
Communist Goals (1963)
Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Thursday, January 10, 1963
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [”]united force[”] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
VERY well said Squantos! post of the month so far imho.
Wow, my FRiend, that is an outstanding statement.
What a bumper sticker that would make!
Alas, I don't know if folks can read words with more than 2 syllables anymore...
Amen my friend. Well said and spot on target! Unless someone like Nugent becomes the President and turns the NRA around, they have lost my support. GOA and JPFO and KeepandBearArms will get it instead.
Thanks for posting this Jeff - my sentiments exactly!
...I don’t OWN any guns. I sold them ALL as soon as Mr. Obama was elected because I KNEW that he had been sent to protect us from all harm...
Thanks Jeff for an excellent and timely thread, and thanks Squantos for your incisive and penetrating exposition of why current the NRA endorsement policy is wrong.
For far too long the NRA has been hiding behind the sophistry that “we’re a non-partisan single issue advocate”. It’s a dishonest argument because it deliberately ignores the fact that Democrat members of Congress in conservative districts are routinely allowed by the party leadership to cast deceptive pro-gun votes on individual bills as political cover while knowing full-well that they’ll fall dutifully in line on the larger, national policy-setting issues such as judicial confirmations, deciding who’s going to be House Speaker, etc.
That misguided policy is Chris Cox’s baby and he needs to go, now.
Every buy a hunting or firearm related item with a credit card? If so, they already have your name.
I share your interest in Ted’s reply; I’m even more interested in how the NRA Board will view it collectively. I’ll be keeping an eye out for it.
aaaaand if you haven’t yet, get a copy of “HOPE” by Aaron Zelman and L Neil Smith.
Thanks for the ping to this very worthy piece Jeff. BTTT
JPFO is NOT, I repeat, NOT a lobbying group. They have absolutely NO voice in Washington D.C..
The goa has done nothing in their entire existence on their own except complain about the NRA. I defy anyone to tell anyone any different. The goa was also the only gun group to ask for the narrow view on Heller and yet has done nothing to support those consequences.
The NRA and the SAF are the only gun groups with any track record.
I noticed the only complainers on FR are the goa members except for a single poster who mentioned the SAF.
If you have a problem with the NRA, then get off your lazy do-nothing crybaby asses and REPLACE the NRA with something better.
As it has always been when the truly difficult issues faced this nation, it is the people who must "lobby" government and that by voting the lazy, socialistic, power hungry, self interested ones out of office.
That is what many of us are about...so please, spare me your own form of whining and name calling.
What Zelman has said is true. He's trying to work with someone inside the NRA to change things. I applaud him and my own letters to the NRA encourage the same. But their support of dems in this election has pushed me, a long time member, over the edge. That simple.
>>2. When the NRA aggressively presses to abolish all concealed carry permit laws. How has an unalienable right to self defense been demoted to a revocable government granted privilege? Unregistered concealed carry has been no big issue in both Alaska and Vermont for decades. Arizona just passed unregistered concealed legislation.<<
We were talking about this yesterday.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.