Skip to comments.Avoid Social Issues, GOP Urged (Homosexualists, Pro-Aborts Co-opt Tea Party Movement)
Posted on 11/14/2010 3:38:40 PM PST by kristinn
A gay conservative group and some Tea Party leaders are campaigning to keep social issues off the Republican agenda.
In a letter to be released Monday, the group GOProud and leaders from groups like the Tea Party Patriots and the New American Patriots, will urge Republicans in the House and Senate to keep their focus on shrinking the government.
"On behalf of limited-government conservatives everywhere, we write to urge you and your colleagues in Washington to put forward a legislative agenda in the next Congress that reflects the principles of the Tea Party movement," they write to presumptive House Speaker John Boehner and Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell in an advance copy provided to POLITICO. "This election was not a mandate for the Republican Party, nor was it a mandate to act on any social issue."
The letter's signatories range from GOProud's co-founder and Chairman Christopher Barron a member of a group encouraging Dick Cheney to run for president and who has been known to post images of his bare torso to Twitter to Tea Party leaders with no particular interest in the gay rights movement.
As of Sunday evening, the letter had 17 signatories. They include tea party organizers, conservative activists and media personalities from across the country, including radio host Tammy Bruce, bloggers Bruce Carroll, Dan Blatt and Doug Welch, and various local coordinators for the Tea Party Patriots and other tea party groups.
"When they were out in the Boston Harbor, they weren't arguing about who was gay or who was having an abortion," said Ralph King, a letter signatory who is a Tea Party Patriots national leadership council member, as well as an Ohio co-coordinator.
King said he signed onto the letter because GOProud seemed to be genuine in pushing for fiscal conservatism and limited government.
"Am I going to be the best man at a same sex-marriage wedding? That's not something I necessarily believe in," said King. "I look at myself as pretty socially conservative. But that's not what we push through the Tea Party Patriots."
That indifference is essentially the point of the gay conservative group.
TEXT OF LETTER
Dear Senator McConnell and Representative Boehner
On behalf of limited government conservatives everywhere we write to urge you and your colleagues in Washington to put forward a legislative agenda in the next Congress that reflects the principles of the Tea Party movement.
Poll after poll confirms that the Tea Partys laser focus on issues of economic freedom and limited government resonated with the American people on Election Day. The Tea Party movement galvanized around a desire to return to constitutional government and against excessive spending, taxation and government intrusion into the lives of the American people.
The Tea Party movement is a non-partisan movement, focused on issues of economic freedom and limited government, and a movement that will be as vigilant with a Republican-controlled Congress as we were with a Democratic-controlled Congress.
This election was not a mandate for the Republican Party, nor was it a mandate to act on any social issue, nor should it be interpreted as a political blank check.
Already, there are Washington insiders and special interest groups that hope to co-opt the Tea Partys message and use it to push their own agenda particularly as it relates to social issues. We are disappointed but not surprised by this development. We recognize the importance of values but believe strongly that those values should be taught by families and our houses of worship and not legislated from Washington, D.C.
We urge you to stay focused on the issues that got you and your colleagues elected and to resist the urge to run down any social issue rabbit holes in order to appease the special interests.
The Tea Party movement is not going away and we intend to continue to hold Washington accountable. Sincerely,
Christopher R Barron
Chairman of the Board, GOProud
Andrew Ian Dodge
Coordinator, Maine Tea Party Patriots
Coordinator, Arizona Tea Party Patriots
Executive Director, New American Patriots (Ashland, OH)
Jim Mason II
Chairman and State Coordinator, Nebraskas Tea Party Patriots
Co-coordinator Cleveland Tea Party Patriots
Co-coordinator State of Ohio Tea Party Patriots
Coordinator, Tea Party Patriots of Great Malls (Montana)
National Radio Talk Show Host
Coordinator, Annapolis (Maryland) Tea Party
Blogger and member Southern Illinois Tea Party
Conservative Activist and Blogger
Coordinator, Sandpoint Idaho Tea Party Patriots
Conservative Activist and Blogger
Coordinator, Florida Tea Party
Executive Director, GOProud
President Santa Clara (California) Tea Party
David Thor Andreasen
Cumberland County (Maine) Tea Party
“This election was not a mandate for the Republican Party, nor was it a mandate to act on any social issue.”
I agree and I will write or fax my reps.
These guys are jerks. I think we need to keep an eye on them. It was good of them to give us a list.
No, the Boston Tea Party wasn’t concerned about gay sex, because they knew it was wrong. And they weren’t concerned about abortion because they knew THAT was wrong.
They were not big on baby killing or sexual perversion.
Taxed Enough Already is the name. One could just as easily argue that social conservatives are co-opting the TEA party movement.
They can’t beat us. All they can do is divide us and have us beat ourselves.
homosexualty and abortion are not “social issues”. They are moral and ethical issues (issues of right and wrong) which cannot be overlooked because they undermine and attack what America is and stands for.
A real social issue? How do we treat our poor?
“Already, there are Washington insiders and special interest groups that hope to co-opt the Tea Partys message and use it to push their own agenda particularly as it relates to social issues.”
...and we want to be first in line!
Talk about perverting a message...
“When they were out in the Boston Harbor, they weren’t arguing about who was gay or who was having an abortion,”
That’s because even Jefferson believed that homosexuality was a crime.
If there was no mandate to act on any social issue, then you frigging butt pirates and homosexualists, there’s no reason to listen to ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT ANY SOCIAL ISSUE THE NEXT TWO YEARS.
Go back in the log cabins.
Immigration is a social issue with dire fiscal consequences. Look at California.
“Screw the babies. I want a tax cut!”
Kill ‘em fast (abortion) or kill ‘em slow (AIDS), the most important thing is whether the check book balances.
I will NEVER support an pro-choice or pro-abortion candidate, AND I will NEVER support a candidate whose position on that issue is unknown or vague.
If they can’t get the most basic right, life, correct, then why should I trust that politician with power? That means they’ll cave in to anything.
I would like to stick with federalism. Let’s debate the social issues at the state level and fiercely guard state sovereignty. We will certainly have a much better chance of advancing conservative social causes at the state level.
If the states want to change the US Constitution through the amendment process, then so be it.
We must also figure out some way to purge the courts of activist judges. This would be the most immediate and effective way of advancing the conservative social agenda.
The perverts want the Repubs to remain silent while the liberals are given free reign to open the sewers. Traitors.
The real Tea Partiers are complete conservatives. The vistories were a rejection of the entire left agenda that the D.C. Establiblishment is pushing. By trying to eliminate Tea Party influence on “social issues” what you are really trying to do covertly is eliminate opposition to the promotion of the sodomite agenda and murdering babies in the womb.
You guys will get us to power again when we screw up.....right?
This is nothing but pure divide-and-conquer BS. They're setting up a false premise that the Republicans elected are going to focus on social issues, and now they're going to "warn" them not to tackle said issues, even though they're not on the radar except for DADT.
A one-legged stool falls over pretty quickly.
Here’s to all three legs.
Social issues kill Republicans.
Ken Buck would be Senator-elect right now had he not stepped in it.
What matters right now, 300 congressional Republicans all opining on the nature of homosexuality and Other Things That Don’t Matter, or saving America from bankruptcy?
One path will save America from 0bama, the other will destroy the Republicans’ reclaimed majority, and America’s last hope with it.
The choice is theirs.
That's how the MA GOP undertands it -- their committee head said in an interview a couple of years ago with a gay newspaper that she didn't intend to bring up social issues. In practice, the state party has favored social liberals for at least 20 years, as far as I can tell.
Reagan was able to articulate a pro-life stance while still directing a conservative economic recovery.
There’s a way to stay focused on the economy without giving up important principles like being pro-life and anti-gay marriage/armed forces.
Social issues? Life and liberty are social issues. Taxes are social issues. Murder is a social issue. War is a social issue. All issues which affect society are social issues. These people want special rights to do that which societies since the dawn of man have held to be criminal.
Taking social issues (whatever that means) off the table for the Tea Party is a sure way to abort the whole movement.
How many Tea Party candidates that were elected were pro-abortion or pro-homosexual rights?Actually, we don't know, because it was never brought up. Nor should it be.
He didn't address it in the Declaration of Independence, nor is it mentioned in the Constitution.
Quite frankly I'm fed up with the nanny state "social issues" that should be addressed in the home, not by legislators.
I'm fed up with people telling me, and others about: trans fats
I'm surprised Lindsey Graham and Barney Frank haven't proposed a Federal Commission on Mutual Masturbation and its effects on palm hair, blindness, and hemmorroids.
Since the election, the country has turned sharply to the right.
In our area, many people who once spent their time carousing are turning to family activities. Hard times force people to reevaluate their priorities.
A lot of people here are in churches for the first time in their lives.
Since affluence and wealth are often a lower priority for social conservatives than the spiritual and emotional health of their families, social liberals literally have nothing to put on the table right now to evoke a spirit of compromise.
My first of business is to throw as much sunlight as I can on “how the sausage is made” so we know what’s in the bill BEFORE it is enacted. What I will not accept our “law Maker not knowing what they are voting for and turning all the power over to some UNELECTED bureaucrat to make regulation that take away my freedoms. Then again, I may move to NY and sell salt to the tourist under the table.
Totally agree. For some this may sound like we are giving in but CONSERATIVES are social conservatives and fiscal conseratives. It just the way it is...but we have to fix this guv as a priority. We are facing some tough times.
Please note that these people do not speak for Tea Party Patriots; they just found a few in the organization that feel this way.
A couple centuries ago, the GOP formed itself on the bloated corpse of the Whig party. That previous party had intended to remain neutral concerning the core ethical issue of its day, and so had perished. The new party wasn’t just the anti-slavery party, they had a full platform touching on all the pertinent issues; but they didn’t compromise on their principles. A GOP that stays true to its basic commitment to the first freedom may or may not be successful, but one that doesn’t certainly won’t be.
So, we should just allow the radical homosexual lobby to deny Christians their civil rights?
Is there no protest allowed when our religious freedom is threatened?
This group sounds as if they assume that if Republicans do not “act on any social issue” that social issues will just lie dormant and no advocates of any persuasion, pro or con, will “act on any social issue”.
The whole thing sounds pretty nonsensical, and I’m confident that militant advocates of particular social change will be “acting on social issues” and Republicans would have to be suicidal to stand silently by.
The letter is a ham-handed attempt at some sort of preemptive strike to make Republicans reluctant to address some issues. Should be ignored.
Ah yes, the “We want liberty (as equated with depravity) but we don’t want to pay for the consequences” crowd.
Cut all funding for AID medications at the State and Federal level and homosexual issues starte to fade rapidly away while dealing with only financial issues.
The fact is, the people with the moral fiber to stop the criminal financial theft machine the Federal government has become have the moral fiber to take a stand on other issues as well including outright as well as creeping mass murder.
Social Issues? These folks sound like they want to build themselves new little cliques and end up with the swing votes in order to hold the solution to our financial crisis hostage to their social agenda, not like they want to ensure the focus remans on financial issues.
It’s the gays who want the state to define marriage to be between a man and another man. They should leave the current laws alone.
They can screw each other in the privacy of the bedroom but they shouldn’t expect the state to give them any new benefits.
The economic costs of moral depravity are the largest single source of the demand for entitlement spending.
We’ve known all along that there were problems with the moral basis of some so-called “leaders” in the Tea Party movement. This is the worst example so far.
Freepmail wagglebee to subscribe or unsubscribe from the homosexual agenda ping list.
Be sure to click the FreeRepublic homosexual agenda keyword search link for a list of all related articles. We don't ping you to all related articles so be sure to click the previous link to see the latest articles.
Add keywords homosexual agenda to flag FR articles to this ping list.
The Libertarian party would be the perfect place for these people. And given all the elections it just screwed up and handed to Democrats, they would probably just LOVE it there!
I wonder if the morons who signed this letter can walk and chew gum at the same time.
The audacity of these douchebags,if they weren’t half retarded, they would know that the marxist strategy for taking over the USA ties destruction of judeo christian morality along with the destruction of capitalism.
MEANS YOU CANT FIGHT ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER
1963-Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [”]united force[”] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
And why would any right thinking person NOT bring it up?
Why should our tax dollars be used to push abortions and the prohomo pursuits?
You make like funding Planned Murderhood and the Pro pervert lobby but me and millions of others say NO but HELL NO!
You are on the wrong side, buddy.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.