Skip to comments.
Dependence on Government at All-Time High
Heritage Foundation ^
| February 8, 2012
| Patrick Tyrrell
Posted on 02/09/2012 2:59:18 PM PST by NYer
The 2012 Index of Dependence on Government, released today, should be a wake-up call for America. Published by The Heritage Foundation for the past 10 years, the Index tracks the growth in government dependence dating back to the early 1960s. This years edition shows an alarming trend. Among the most troubling facts:
- One in five Americansthe highest in the nations historyrelies on the federal government for everything from housing, health care, and food stamps to college tuition and retirement assistance. Thats more than 67.3 million Americans who receive subsidies from Washington.
- Government dependency jumped 8.1 percent in the past year, with the most assistance going toward housing, health and welfare, and retirement.
- The federal government spent more taxpayer dollars than ever before in 2011 to subsidize Americans. The average individual who relies on Washington could receive benefits valued at $32,748, more than the nations average disposable personal income ($32,446).
- At the same time, nearly half of the U.S. population (49.5 percent) does not pay any federal income taxes.
- In the next 25 years, more than 77 million baby boomers will retire. They will begin collecting checks from Social Security, drawing benefits from Medicare, and relying on Medicaid for long-term care.
- As of now, 70 percent of the federal governments budget goes to individual assistance programs, up dramatically in just the past few years. However, research shows that private, community, and charitable aid helps individuals rise from their difficulties with better success than federal government handouts. Plus, local and private aid is often more effectively distributed.
This much dependence on government has not been seen before in our nation, and it spells grave danger for the republic. A dose of reality would inform politicians that federal handouts, while politically expedient, will doom the republic if they are not curtailed.
A plan exists that would reverse the yearly rise in government dependency. Its called The Heritage Foundations Saving the American Dream plan
TOPICS: Business/Economy; Culture/Society; Government; Politics/Elections
KEYWORDS: foodstamppres; obamanomics; welfarestate
posted on 02/09/2012 2:59:24 PM PST
"At the same time, nearly half of the U.S. population (49.5 percent) does not pay any federal income taxes."
Because of the build-up of The Welfare State, it's too late to try to Amend the Constitution, or pass Legislation, that requires that if you pay NO INCOME TAXES, and you OWN NO PROPERTY, you do not VOTE, period.
If you have no dog in the fight (other than what you can be handed from someone else), you have no Right to decide who will govern, at all.
posted on 02/09/2012 3:05:36 PM PST
(Stay thirsty, my friends.)
A dose of reality would inform politicians that federal handouts, while politically expedient, will doom the republic if they are not curtailed.
90% of those politicians couldn't care less about the republic and those who elect them do so for a free ride.
Our republic is already doomed IMO.
posted on 02/09/2012 3:08:22 PM PST
(Trust in God, question everyone else)
And in other news -- today The One promised billions for help with people's mortgages; "but," he said, "those who won't be helped by this program will be looking to us to do more..."
Isn't that what everyone wants from the federal government? For them to DO MORE!!!!
Tax us more, spend our money more.... /s
posted on 02/09/2012 3:10:17 PM PST
Someone by the name of Hussein Obama needs to write a book now about NIGHTMARES OF MY FATHER.
Even if that was in the constitution, the Dems would let them pay .01 in “tax” to qualify.
posted on 02/09/2012 3:13:08 PM PST
To: EGPWS; traditional1
It’s ALL about being re-elected. More government dependence = less desire for prayer to God. Eventually, government becomes the god that is worshipped on election day. Pray for our nation!
posted on 02/09/2012 3:18:33 PM PST
("Be kind to every person you meet. For every person is fighting a great battle." St. Ephraim)
If you included the never employed who are living off welfare, the unemployment rate would be 30% or even more.
posted on 02/09/2012 4:09:32 PM PST
by Blood of Tyrants
(Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.)
This is why I am afraid obama might get a second term, are people going to vote against their own handout or benefit?
posted on 02/09/2012 4:26:00 PM PST
by Ham Hock
How many of them live here in NY.....
posted on 02/09/2012 4:42:42 PM PST
by The Mayor
("If you can't make them see the light, let them feel the heat" Ronald Reagan)
0bamao and cult have just about finished their assignment.
posted on 02/09/2012 5:42:57 PM PST
(NOT VOTING gets 0bamao re-elected.)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson