Skip to comments.Fox News Outs The Navy SEAL Who Wrote An Anonymous Book On The Bin Laden Raid
Posted on 08/23/2012 11:53:02 AM PDT by Jean S
Turns out there are leaks everywhere, even among Navy SEALs.
Fox News obtained and released the identity of the author of the controversial new book "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden," due to come out on the anniversary of 9/11.
"Mark Owen," the pseudonym under which the book was written, is actually 35 year-old Matt Bissonnette of Wrangell, Alaska. Bissonnette held the rank of chief in the elite Navy SEAL Team 6 prior to retiring. He was one of the first men in the room where bin Laden died, witnessing the occurrence first-hand.
We tracked down pictures of Bissonnett on PatriotFiles.com and Flickr.
Bissonnette was also part of the operation which ended with the killing of three Somali pirates in order to save the life of Captain Richard Phillips in the Indian Ocean in 2009.
He co-wrote the book with author Kevin Maurer, a well-versed author of four books, most based on military special operations.
(Excerpt) Read more at finance.yahoo.com ...
Did the White House leak his name? Or his publisher?
Messed up. Of all the media outlets, I would have never thought Fox would do this. Total disrespect. These men should remain mysterious for a reason: they are America’s Best.
Why would Fox News release his name? That was not very responsible of them to do.
I know I’m going to get hit for saying this...but this man put himself out there writing this book...he’s a big boy....now comes the heat.
When one of their major stockholders is muslim brotherhood, its almost to be expected.
Must be part of Ailes’ “course correction” that won’t help him in the eyes of the leftists anyhow.
I'm sure he's more afraid for our country being under zerO next year than his own life.
Men of that caliber aren't afraid of much in our physical world. You'd have to bring in other SEALs or crater his entire property from above to take him out.
I used to be an avid watcher but now the only time I tune in is if something really important is breaking live. Which means almost never.
I have a vile hatred for whomever did this.
it says fox leaked the news but it doesn’t provide a link or back up.
less than an hour ago i watched Megyn speak with someone about this and she never mentioned the SEAL’s name.
maybe it was a local Fox atation
some proof by Bi would have been nice
shame on Fox if they did this
I can’t bear to watch any more.
Obama payback. Someone at the White Mosque gave it to Fox.
I agree with you. Publishing a best seller book about an event creates innumerable ways to lose anonymity.
If I had the power, I would shut down Fox news over this and I’d do it today, before sunset.
FUFauxNews, you disgusting bastards.
I started the first thread on this and can tell you EXACTLY when he was outed and by whom.
It was Jennifer Griffin on Hemmer/McCallum’s show this morning (don’t know the stupid name of it) and it was the LAST SEGMENT before the hour was up and a new show started with different hosts.
I sent an email condemning this before I posted on FR.
Dishonorable Disclosures (22:00 Youtube video)
Special Operations (OPSEC) (website to get involved)
There is risk in everything in life, but that does not excuse Fox News.
Here you go:
God bless this brave man and his family.
The way they treat Conservatives and now this?
5th Columnists indeed.
Brotherhood Money and Saudi Princes sure can buy a nice News Channel.
Once the galleys and preview copies were published it was only a matter of time before he was identified. That particular subset of the SEAL community isn't that large. Being in the open now grants him some protection. A retired SEAL suffering a fatal accident to the general public is a few paragraphs. Now any damage to him will have hard blowback.
As Sipsey Street Irregulars published, there are serious folk that will take a hundred heads for one of theirs.
Or maybe I should have done this:
wtf??? way to go buisness insider~!
“Fox outed this guy,... and so here is his name and address and phone number and photograph and hours he walks his dog”
Do they WANT to help get this guy killed?
We probably should wait to read his book. He could be a plant by Obama’s team since they couldn’t get the movie out before the election. It may end of being some book praising Obama to help his election.
Just a thought.
thanks for the info
It looks like maybe Fox or megyn decided not to repeat the SEAL’s name.
Megyn’s segment on it was pretty long and never once was it mentioned
I don’t really think that people in even the most elite SF groups are bullet-proof superhumans. Apart from anything else, this has also put his family at risk from vengeful muslim funadmentalists who might want to strike a blow for the moongod and his paedophile prophet in memory of OBL.
Fox have been very irresponsible here.
Yeah!! ME TOO! They're DEAD TO ME now!!!
We can make do with CNNBCBSMSNBCPBS
That is what I was thinking why write a book if you are not going to own doing so.
That is what I was thinking why write a book if you are not going to own doing so.
Brave man. I am sure he knew the risk of his identity becoming known. How could it not? Hopefully, his family will be comfortable living the way they will need to live from now on. God and fellow SEALs take good care of him and his loved ones.
I so disrespect that company and most of their airheads.
American media has no integrity. All clowns now; both sides. WWF makes more sense.
Well, that’s a step in the right direction...
while I get why people would be upset with him for his book, it’s unbelievable anyone would put his family in jeopardy for a news scoop. Yes, people can find out who he is but the media doesn’t need to do the job for them.
Maybe I wasn’t the only one who emailed in protest!
“As Sipsey Street Irregulars published, there are serious folk that will take a hundred heads for one of theirs. “
Unfortunately, most committed muslim terrorists don’t care (and often expect) to die, and they don’t mind blowback because it generates martyrs to further their cause. Look at how the Palestinian terrorists operate...
If I hadn’t already stopped watching Fox News a long time ago, I’d definitely be stopping after this.
I don’t get Fox. They were, are?, number one. Not by behaving like CNN and certainly not MSNBC.
So, what do they do? Act like MSNBC?
Otherwise, the President should have been impeach 2 or 3 years ago.
Noose readers leaking sensative information and names should be fired.
I agree. You don’t write a book that is expected to sell millions of copies and expect to remain anonymous. He should have kept his yapper shut like the other guys did.
Whoever leaked this should be hanged for treason, and SHAME on Fox news for coming out with this.
I wish I could stop watching all over again.
These scum fail to air so many known truths about Obama’s background, yet can’t wait to endanger an American soldier? Screw them!
IMO he gave up his right to anonymity when he wrote his book, and Fox is a news organization and his name was news. 40 years ago a lefty NYC writer named Sidney Zion got a lot of grief from lefties like Pete Hamill for outing Daniel Ellsberg.Hamill publicly apologized in print and on the radio. Zion had a news story and went with it. That was his job. If this SEAL was still in service and had not written a book the release of his name would be totally unjustified, and the person leaking to the media at risk of arest, but that is not the case.
Text of Form SF-312:
2. I hereby acknowledge that I have received a security indoctrination concerning the nature and protection of classified information, including the procedures to be followed in ascertaining whether other persons to whom I contemplate disclosing this information have been approved for access to it, and that I understand these procedures.
3. I have been advised that the unauthorized disclosure, unauthorized retention, or negligent handling of classified information by me could cause damage or irreparable injury to the United States or could be used to advantage by a foreign nation. I hereby agree that I will never divulge classified information to anyone unless: (a) I have officially verified that the recipient has been properly authorized by the United States Government to receive it; or (b) I have been given prior written notice of authorization from the United States Government Department or Agency (hereinafter Department or Agency) responsible for the classification of the information or last granting me a security clearance that such disclosure is permitted. I understand that if I am uncertain about the classification status of information, I am required to confirm from an authorized official that the information is unclassified before I may disclose it, except to a person as provided in (a) or (b), above. I further understand that I am obligated to comply with laws and regulations that prohibit the unauthorized disclosure of classified information.
4. I have been advised that any breach of this Agreement may result in the termination of any security clearances I hold; removal from any position of special confidence and trust requiring such clearances; or the termination of my employment or other relationships with the Departments or Agencies that granted my security clearance or clearances. In addition, I have been advised that any unauthorized disclosure of classified information by me may constitute a violation, or violations, of United States criminal laws, including the provisions of Sections 641, 793, 794, 798, *952 and 1924, Title 18, United States Code, * the provisions of Section 783(b), Title 50, United States Code, and the provisions of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982. I recognize that nothing in this Agreement constitutes a waiver by the United States of the right to prosecute me for any statutory violation.
5. I hereby assign to the United States Government all royalties, remunerations, and emoluments that have resulted, will result or may result from any disclosure, publication, or revelation of classified information not consistent with the terms of this Agreement.
6. I understand that the United States Government may seek any remedy available to it to enforce this Agreement including, but not limited to, application for a court order prohibiting disclosure of information in breach of this Agreement.
7. I understand that all classified information to which I have access or may obtain access by signing this Agreement is now and will remain the property of, or under the control of the United States Government unless and until otherwise determined by an authorized official or final ruling of a court of law. I agree that I shall return all classified materials which have, or may come into my possession or for which I am responsible because of such access: (a) upon demand by an authorized representative of the United States Government; (b) upon the conclusion of my employment or other relationship with the Department or Agency that last granted me a security clearance or that provided me access to classified information; or (c) upon the conclusion of my employment or other relationship that requires access to classified information. If I do not return such materials upon request, I understand that this may be a violation of Section 793 and/or 1924, Title 18, United States Code, a United States criminal law.
8. Unless and until I am released in writing by an authorized representative of the United States Government, I understand that all conditions and obligations imposed upon me by this Agreement apply during the time I am granted access to classified information, and at all times thereafter.
9. Each provision of this Agreement is severable. If a court should find any provision of this Agreement to be unenforceable, all other provisions of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.
(Continue on reverse.)
10. These restrictions are consistent with and do not supersede, conflict with or otherwise alter the employee obligations, rights or liabilities created by Executive Order 12958; Section 7211 of Title 5, United States Code (governing disclosures to Congress); Section 1034 of Title 10, United States Code, as amended by the Military Whistleblower Protection Act (governing disclosure to Congress by members of the military): Section 2302(b)(8) of Title 5, United States Code, as amended by the Whistleblower Protection Act (governing disclosures of illegality, waste, fraud, abuse or public health or safety threats); the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982 (50 U.S.C. 421 et seq.) (governing disclosures that expose confidential Government agents), and the statutes which protect against disclosure that may compromise the national security, including Sections 641, 793, 794, 798, 952 and 1924 of Title 18, United States Code, and Section 4(b) of the Subversive Activities Act of 1950 (50 U.S.C. Section 783(b)). The definitions, requirements, obligations, rights, sanctions and liabilities created by said Executive Order and listed statutes are incorporated into this Agreement and are controlling.
11. I have read this Agreement carefully and my questions, if any, have been answered. I acknowledge that the briefing officer has made available to me the Executive Order and statutes referenced in this Agreement and its implementing regulation (32 CFR Section 2003.20) so that I may read them at this time, if I so choose.
ORGANIZATION (IF CONTRACTOR, LICENSEE, GRANTEE OR AGENT, PROVIDE: NAME, ADDRESS, AND, IF APPLICABLE, FEDERAL SUPPLY CODE NUMBER)(Type or print)
THE EXECUTION OF THIS AGREEMENT WAS WITNESSED BY THE UNDERSIGNED.
SIGNATURE | DATE
NAME AND ADDRESS (Type or print)
THE UNDERSIGNED ACCEPTED THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.
SIGNATURE | DATE
NAME AND ADDRESS (Type or print)
Previous edition not usable.
STANDARD FORM 312 (Rev. 1-00)
Prescribed by NARA/ISOO
32 CFR 2003, E.O. 12958
Heres the thing I cant stop thinking: Barack Obama couldnt even hold a job that required him to sign this form and yet hes Commander in Chief. Sad.
Fatwa on the Seal Team declared in 3 - 2 - 1 ....
Faux news should have disassociated from announcing the outing. Let another media outlet do it. This looks pretty sorry on their part when you know the info was passed around to others.
I hope this is what the author decided and not an unauthorized outing. Maybe this hero wants to be known now, or even contemplate calls to run for office. You just never know for sure these days what’s behind anything anymore.
And Business Insider, Yahoo and Free Republic echo the name and perpetuate the issue. Nice going.