Skip to comments.Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US
Posted on 09/21/2012 8:50:24 PM PDT by JerseyanExile
...Residents of another main eastern city, Darna, have also begun to stand up against Ansar al-Shariah and other militias.
The anti-militia fervor in Darna is notable because the city, in the mountains along the Mediterranean coast north of Benghazi, has long had a reputation as a stronghold for Islamic extremists. During the Gadhafi era, it was the hotbed of a deadly Islamist insurgency against his regime. A significant number of the Libyan jihadists who travelled to Afghanistan and Iraq during recent wars came from Darna. During the revolt against him last year, Gadhafi's regime warned that Darna would declare itself an Islamic Emirate and ally itself with al-Qaida.
But now, the residents are lashing out against Ansar al-Shariah, the main Islamic extremist group in the city.
Leaders of tribes, which are the strongest social force in eastern Libya, have come forward to demand that the militias disband. Tribal leaders in Benghazi and Darna announced this week that members of their tribes who are militiamen will no longer have their protection in the face of anti-militia protests. That means the tribe will not avenge them if they are killed.
Militiamen have been blamed for a range of violence in Darna. On the same day Stevens killed in Benghazi, a number of elderly Catholic nuns and a priest who have lived in Darna for decades providing free medical services, were attacked, reportedly beaten or stabbed. There have been 32 killings over the past few months, including the city security chief and assassinations of former officers from Gadhafi's military.
Officials in the interim government and security forces say they are not strong enough to crack down on the militias. The armed factions have refused government calls for them to join the regular army and police.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
Every individual of “peaceful Islam” should return to Christianity and Judaism understanding the pretense of Islam never transcended the blade by which it survived and flourished.
If Obama and Hillary are correct, the “Anti-Movie” crowd (the “crowd” that Obama and Hillary said killed our Ambassador), just got attacked by what must be known as the “Pro-Movie” crowd. Goes to show you how F_CKED UP this Administration’s foreign policy must be.
Smells to me like the CIA is backing these (honest) Libyans. Also wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t some special forces involved. Bambie had better get a lid on this mess quickly.
Here is backup to all you have told us.
I don’t know anything about this “Ameristroika” site but the info is valid. The Libyan youth immediately turned to google for support.
Clinton and Libyan Youth Share Views on Libyas New Era
Tunisian, Libyan, and Egyptian Youth Leaders Participate in U.S. Department of State Exchange Program on Media Literacy
Thank You. Will have a look. Prayers for you and yours FRiend.
Interestingly enough Libyan youth movement representatives were here in the states for this Dept of State. exchange program just a few weeks ago and returned to Libya just in time for this “spontaneous” uprising.
Wonder how far into the depths one would have to follow this lead to find out the names?
I did notice another link at the bottom of the page. Have you followed that link yet? I backed off, for the moment, just to ask.
I know combat_boots shares my general suspicions when it comes to these national youth movements.
from the second link only Clinton?
Its just a link to the state department youth programs. Actually some interesting stuff there as well.
When needing some information, there are those here (Thank God) who have it.
It was a group called Youth Movement that laid out the “Together we thrive” t-shirts at the Gabby Giffords memorial campaign event a few days after her shooting.
The first link (imho) suggests the founder of goggle is being utilized again. He (the founder/owner of goggle) was shoved aside in Egypt. Another ruse perhaps? Dang am I too suspicious of this could have been a plant planted in Egypt?
Yes, indeedy, I share your perceptions and these movements.
Alliance of Youth Movements Summit
S E C R E T SECTION 01 OF 02 CAIRO 002572 SIPDIS FOR NEA/ELA, R, S/P
AND H NSC FOR PASCUAL AND KUTCHA-HELBLING E.O. 12958: DECL:
12/30/2028 TAGS: PGOV, PHUM, KDEM, EG SUBJECT: APRIL 6 ACTIVIST ON HIS U.S. VISIT AND REGIME CHANGE IN EGYPT REF:
A. CAIRO 2462 B.
CAIRO 2454 C. CAIRO 2431 Classified By: ECPO A/Mincouns Catherine Hill-Herndon for reason 1.4 (d ). 1. (C) Summary and comment:
On December 23, April 6 activist xxxxxxxxxxxx expressed satisfaction with his participation in the December 3-5 \”Alliance of Youth Movements Summit,\” and with his subsequent meetings with USG officials, on Capitol Hill, and with think tanks. He described how State Security (SSIS) detained him at the Cairo airport upon his return and confiscated his notes for his summit presentation calling for democratic change in Egypt, and his schedule for his Congressional meetings. xxxxxxxxxxxx contended that the GOE will never undertake significant reform, and therefore, Egyptians need to replace the current regime with a parliamentary democracy. He alleged that several opposition parties and movements have accepted an unwritten plan for democratic transition by 2011; we are doubtful of this claim. xxxxxxxxxxxx said that although SSIS recently released two April 6 activists, it also arrested three additional group members. We have pressed the MFA for the release of these April 6 activists. April 6s stated goal of replacing the current regime with a parliamentary democracy prior to the 2011 presidential elections is highly unrealistic, and is not supported by the mainstream opposition. End summary and comment. —————————————— Satisfaction with the Summit ——————————————
2. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx expressed satisfaction with the December 3-5 \”Alliance of Youth Movements Summit\” in New York, noting that he was able to meet activists from other countries and outline his movement’s goals for democratic change in Egypt. He told us that the other activists at the summit were very supportive, and that some even offered to hold public demonstrations in support of Egyptian democracy in their countries, with xxxxxxxxxxxx as an invited guest. xxxxxxxxxxxxsaid he discussed with the other activists how April 6 members could more effectively evade harassment and surveillance from SSIS with technical upgrades, such as consistently alternating computer \”simcards.\” However, xxxxxxxxxxxx lamented to us that because most April 6 members do not own computers, this tactic would be impossible to implement. xxxxxxxxxxxx was appreciative of the successful efforts by the Department and the summit organizers to protect his identity at the summit, and told us that his name was never mentioned publicly. -————————— A Cold Welcome Home -—————————
3. (S) xxxxxxxxxxxx told us that SSIS detained and searched him at the Cairo Airport on December 18 upon his return from the U.S. According to xxxxxxxxxxxx, SSIS found and confiscated two documents in his luggage: notes for his presentation at the summit that described April 6’s demands for democratic transition in Egypt, and a schedule of his Capitol Hill meetings. xxxxxxxxxxxx described how the SSIS officer told him that State Security is compiling a file on him, and that the officer’s superiors instructed him to file a report on xxxxxxxxxxxx most recent activities. -—————————————————————— ————— Washington Meetings and April 6 Ideas for Regime Change —————————————————————— -————
- 4. (C) Xxxxxxxxxxxx described his Washington appointments as positive, saying that on the Hill he met with xxxxxxxxxxxx, a variety of House staff members, including from the offices of xxxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxx), and with two Senate staffers. xxxxxxxxxxxx also noted that he met with several think tank members. xxxxxxxxxxxx said that xxxxxxxxxxxx’s office invited him to speak at a late January Congressional hearing on House Resolution 1303 regarding religious and political freedom in Egypt. xxxxxxxxxxxx told us he is interested in attending, but conceded he is unsure whether he will have the funds to make the trip. He indicated to us that he has not been focusing on his work as a \”fixer\” for journalists, due to his preoccupation with his U.S. trip.
5. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx described how he tried to convince his Washington interlocutors that the USG should pressure the GOE to implement significant reforms by threatening to reveal CAIRO 00002572 002 OF 002 information about GOE officials’ alleged \”illegal\” off-shore bank accounts. He hoped that the U.S. and the international community would freeze these bank accounts, like the accounts of Zimbabwean President Mugabe’s confidantes. xxxxxxxxxxxx said he wants to convince the USG that Mubarak is worse than Mugabe and that the GOE will never accept democratic reform. xxxxxxxxxxxx asserted that Mubarak derives his legitimacy from U.S. support, and therefore charged the U.S. with \”being responsible\” for Mubarak’s \”crimes.\” He accused NGOs working on political and economic reform of living in a \”fantasy world,\” and not recognizing that Mubarak — \”the head of the snake\” — must step aside to enable democracy to take root.
6. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx claimed that several opposition forces — including the Wafd, Nasserite, Karama and Tagammu parties, and the Muslim Brotherhood, Kifaya, and Revolutionary Socialist movements — have agreed to support an unwritten plan for a transition to a parliamentary democracy, involving a weakened presidency and an empowered prime minister and parliament, before the scheduled 2011 presidential elections (ref C). According to xxxxxxxxxxxx, the opposition is interested in receiving support from the army and the police for a transitional government prior to the 2011 elections. xxxxxxxxxxxx asserted that this plan is so sensitive it cannot be written down. (Comment: We have no information to corroborate that these parties and movements have agreed to the unrealistic plan xxxxxxxxxxxxhas outlined. Per ref C,xxxxxxxxxxxx previously told us that this plan was publicly available on the internet. End comment.)
7. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx said that the GOE has recently been cracking down on the April 6 movement by arresting its members. xxxxxxxxxxxx noted that although SSIS had released xxxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxx \”in the past few days,\” it had arrested three other members. (Note: On December 14, we pressed the MFA for the release of xxxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxx,and on December 28 we asked the MFA for the GOE to release the additional three activists. End note.) xxxxxxxxxxxx conceded that April 6 has no feasible plans for future activities.
The group would like to call for another strike on April 6, 2009, but realizes this would be \”impossible\” due to SSIS interference, xxxxxxxxxxxxsaid. He lamented that the GOE has driven the group’s leadership underground, and that one of its leaders, xxxxxxxxxxxx, has been in hiding for the past week.
8. (C) Comment: xxxxxxxxxxxx offered no roadmap of concrete steps toward April 6’s highly unrealistic goal of replacing the current regime with a parliamentary democracy prior to the 2011 presidential elections. Most opposition parties and independent NGOs work toward achieving tangible, incremental reform within the current political context, even if they may be pessimistic about their chances of success. xxxxxxxxxxxx wholesale rejection of such an approach places him outside this mainstream of opposition politicians and activists.
COBEY02008-12-307386PGOV, PHUM,KDEM,EG APRIL 6 ACTIVIST ON HIS U.S.
VISIT AND REGIME CHANGE IN EGYPT
Also see the interactive Google maps and mashups that broadcast Tweets.
These things are organized, meaning they are funded, right down to the t-shirts and technologies.
Folks, in cripplecreek’s second link (first post above) clinton is promising help to the youths, anything and everything they need. Sound like arms could be going in also. We all know how supplying arms to these people has worked out. We also know arms are missing (Kaddiffi’s) inside of Libya. Now we have an Ambassador dead. Anyone willing to tell us (inside) the lamesteam (Thanks Rush) why our state department is backing multiple entities inside Egypt and Libya who are all troublemakers? Are there no good guys to back?
So we cannot have the names of those our government is sponsoring? Am I reading this correctly?
When I saw Benghazi Youth popping up on twitter last night it immediately sent up a flare.
That memo is from Wikileaks and so is in the past. The news outlets block out the exact names.
At the same time Benghazi was attacked, the US was in Qatar at a conference. I had thought 0bama was in Doha, based on what is said at the end of this clip. It would be possible, as he would gain time.....
President Obama’s Message to the Arab Forum on Asset Recovery
I do know Holder was, and this clip is not easily found anymore.......
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.