Skip to comments.Newborn’s Decapitation at Birth Prompts Malpractice Lawsuit
Posted on 10/14/2012 12:42:06 PM PDT by presidio9
A Missouri couple filed a lawsuit Sept. 28 against four defendants for a birth gone horribly wrong. The New York Daily News reports Friday that Arteisha Betts and Travis Ammonette of Florissant, Mo., claim their newborn son, Kaden Travis Ammonette, died while in the birth canal. The baby's head was allegedly decapitated from its neck when the doctor tried pulling the baby out of the birth canal.
* The media report claims court documents reveal Dr. Susan Moore told the couple in February 2011 their baby would have to be born with a Caesarian section because his abdomen was too large. The delivering doctor allegedly refused to perform a Caesarian and instead chose for a vaginal birth. The attending doctor, Gilbert Webb, then supposedly did not allow the couple to go to another hospital.
* Courthouse News Service states Betts and Ammonette went to St. John's Mercy Hospital on March 22, 2011, when the mother started having contractions. She was 28 weeks and five days into her pregnancy.
* The lawsuit alleges Kaden's head came out normally, but the abdomen got stuck in the birth canal. The doctor then allegedly tried traction on the baby's head and then the head became separated from the cervical spine.
* The story gets worse. At the point, the plaintiffs say blood from the baby's neck splattered into the labor and delivery room in plain sight of the mother and father. The couple then claims the doctor did the unthinkable --Webb supposedly pushed the baby back into the uterus and ordered an emergency Caesarian section.
* To make matters even more disgusting, the couple claims Webb then started performing the emergency procedure on the mother before she was sedated. This caused Betts "significant physical pain and suffering," according to
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
That’s like something out of a horror movies. The doctor should be in prison. My prayers go out to the family.
now THAT is MEDICAL MALPRACTICE at it’s worse!!!!
Yikes! I’ve never heard of such a thing. How could a baby’s abdomen be bigger that it’s head?
Worse than any horror movie I’ve seen...incredible incompetence
If your doctor is a democrat the next question is ...
What ELSE does he NOT Know.?.
Obamacare at work.
And only 28 weeks too. Something wrong with this picture.
Why would this not be manslaughter?
Was this doctor moonlighting from his Planned Parenthood job? The guy is a freaking butcher.
I wonder if Affirmative Action was involved with this doctor?
NO Cheers, unfortunately.
Strip the doctor of his medical license for life; put the hospital's OB-GYN department into receivership.
At 28 weeks..... definitely some other problem involved. What we have here is a doctor making an heroic effort that didn’t work.
Good! Excellent! I don't want a Muslim doctor looking at that end of me.
It isn't... but the head is made to compress in the birth canal (which is why a newborn has a soft spot in the middle of her skull); sometimes the baby's shoulders are too broad and get stuck.
In some cases, the Obstetrician will even go so far as to try to break the baby's collarbone so that the shoulders will pass through the birth canal. This happened when my younger sister was born in the mid-1980s. She was a 10+ pound baby and arrived too quickly to permit a Caesarian... the OB couldn't break her collarbone, which resulted in the OB pulling at my sister's head and other nurses assisting my mother to push. The doctors almost lost both my mother and my sister -- but our story was a happy one. Both ended up perfectly fine and healthy.
That makes me think that this doctor's maneuver isn't entirely out-of-the-ordinary, though other decisions he made along the way seem to make him liable, and the result was utterly tragic.
Thats what I was thinking as well. If true, it sounds like the baby had some serious problems. Why would any doctor in his right mind push for a vaginal delivery if what is being claimed it true? Why wasnt their doc, Susan Moore able to perform the delivery? Did she not have privileges at this hospital? Was she unavailable? Did Dr. Webb not have access to her medical records, could he have not tried to reach Dr. More or performed and ultra sound? Was this labor already too far gone, with the babys head too far down the birth canal to perform a normal c-section. There are a lot of unanswered questions here.
this doctor will receive a medal from “planned parenthood.”
The hospitals decided there were “too many caesareans.” So they all made quotas, and this is the result. God forbid you have problems and they are past the quota for the month.
I am a former neonatal nurse. I saw this happen to a 24-week baby in the delivery room. Not to minimize how horrible it is....it is rare, but not as rare as you might think. My coworkers told me it had happened once before in the hospital where I worked.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.