Skip to comments.Mormon church OK with ending Boy Scouts' ban on gay youth
Posted on 04/26/2013 5:48:45 PM PDT by virtuous
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has given tacit approval to the Boy Scouts proposal to allow gay youth to join, saying they appreciate the positive things included in the plan to end the organization's controversial ban on gay boys.
The Boy Scouts of America last week proposed allowing gay youth but not adults to participate in the private youth organization. That came two months after they floated the idea of allowing gays and lesbians of all ages to join, a proposal that was denounced by the conservative religious groups that make up a bulk of Scouting.
We are grateful to BSA for their careful consideration of these issues. We appreciate the positive things contained in this current proposal that will help build and strengthen the moral character and leadership skills of youth as we work together in the future, the LDS church said Thursday in a statement posted to their website.
The current BSA proposal constructively addresses a number of important issues that have been part of the ongoing dialogue, including consistent standards for all BSA partners, recognition that Scouting exists to serve and benefit youth rather than Scout leaders, a single standard of moral purity for youth in the program, and a renewed emphasis for Scouts to honor their duty to God." The Mormon church tops the list of membership enrollment numbers, with 431,000 youths participating in LDS-sponsored units as of Dec. 31, 2012. That was followed by the United Methodist Church at 364,000 and the Catholic Church at 274,000. More than 70 percent of Scouting units are chartered to faith-based groups.
The Boy Scouts said Thursday in a statement that it was pleased the LDS church was satisfied that the BSA has made a thoughtful, good-faith effort to address this issue.
For nearly 100 years we have worked together with the mutual goal of building the moral character and leadership skills of youth. We believe kids are better off when they are in Scouting, and the program is successful because of its relationships with valued chartered organizations like the Church, the statement said.
The Boy Scouts policy has increasingly been a sore spot for the organization over the last year, following the dismissal of a den leader because she is a lesbian and the denial of the Eagle Scout rank to a California teen because he is gay.
The BSAs National Council will vote on changing the membership policy on May 23. Its biannual The Voice of the Scout Survey, conducted earlier this year, for the first time included questions on gay membership. Among the 280 administrative local councils, half recommended no change, 38 percent recommended a change and 14 percent took a neutral position, the Scouts said.
"While perspectives and opinions vary significantly, parents, adults in the Scouting community and teens alike tend to agree that youth should not be denied the benefits of Scouting," the organization said last week in a statement.
If you are a current or former member of the Boy Scouts and would like to share your thoughts on how your troop, pack or council is handling the BSA's proposed change to the membership policy, you can email the reporter at email@example.com. We may use some comments for a follow-up story, so please specify if your remarks can be used and provide your name, hometown, age, Boy Scout affiliation and a phone number.
This will only encourage the anti-Scout forces to ramp up the pressure to have gay Scoutmasters. They smell blood in the water.
LDS strongly opposed gay marriage in the 1990’s and 2000’s. But the church was mocked and savaged by the Gay Gestapo. Now we have Mormons like Meg Whitman, Jon Hunstman, and Glenn Beck “evolving” on gay marriage.
Don’t forget Mitt Romney father of gay marriage in Massachusetts.
Why is this a surprise.........mormonism is pushing for acceptance of homosexual “marriage” then they can push for polygamy, in the real as opposed to the celestial.
So when do the Mormons embrace sodomites as their ministers, or whatever they call their “leaders”?
Darn shame. Mormons were strong against sodomy in California...now they’re rolling over.
Did they really?
Glenn Beck is pro-sodomy?
Bingo! That is exactly what they are after.
After the 2008 elections, LDS was smeared and savaged by the radicial Homosexual Agenda. Wealthly Mormons, who run Marriot Hotels issued a press release claiming to welcome gays. Also Rick Warren distanced himself from Prop 8. Goes to show how determined the Gay Gestapo is.
How about including transgender and transvestite yoofs?
On Beck’s radio show this year, he was ranting on what’s the big deal with gay marriage. Okay, perhaps saying Beck is pro-gay marriage is probably too strong. But, he won’t be outraged with gay marriage being legal in all 50 states either.
Wealthy momrons who own Marriot the biggest distributor of hotel porn in the world.
The question is did SLC lds really oppose homosexuality ‘marriage’ in California........they did not protest in any other state.
To accept homosexual “marriage” means you will accept polygamy.
Meg Whitman and Jon Hunstman signed a petition of Republican support for the Supreme Court to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act and Prop 8. The petition was also signed by Steve Schmindt and Nicole Wallace.
probably his favorite brand
Well, when Mitt Romney, that high Mormonic muckety muck, went looey, one could see this handwriting on the wall.
Polygamy would be preferable to this.
The Mormons flip-flopping on a church teaching?
Next thing you know they’ll change the teaching on multiple wives!
I’ll bet if you talked to the majority of Mormons they would not agree. I think many in the leadership class whether religious or secular value their places at the table rather than their duties to obey the Gospel.
Mormonism was always about a few powerful older men gathering bevies of young women into their polygamous harems and leaving most of the young men in their cult both without wives & good only as cannon fodder.
Gay “marriage” might just seem to play into their original plan, it would seem.
It’s BOY scouts. Not BUTT scouts.
“On Becks radio show this year, he was ranting on whats the big deal with gay marriage. Okay, perhaps saying Beck is pro-gay marriage is probably too strong. But, he wont be outraged with gay marriage being legal in all 50 states either.”
That’s because Beck decided he was a Libertarian. So anything goes on the social issues, according to Libertarians. Beck has a tough time with that aspect of Libertarianism as he is allegedly religious, and therefore believes in the Bible and its tenets. But like so many alleged Libertarians (including the Paul family, Ron and Rand), they live in the land of self deception, fooling themselves while trying to fool others. Schizophrenic thinking, IMO.
Let's see, who are the top 3 nationally recognized Mormons in the U.S.?
1. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-NV
2. 2012 GOP Presidential candidate Mitt Romney who declared his support for homosexuals in Scouting back in 1994 and doubled-down on it in 2012.
3. Jon Huntsman Jr, former progressive GOP governor of Utah, former ambassador to Red China for POTUS #44 BHO, and 2012 GOP Presidential candidate who publically stated his support for homosexual marriage in MAR 2013.
In the same way that cyanide is preferable to strychnine?
After reading the official Church news release, I am inclined to not believe the NBC version and liken the official Church news release as akin to a company saying nice things about a contractor prior to non-renewal of a contract.
Regardless of what the Mormon Church does in the future, concerning this very serious issue, the current Church news release does not say what NBC says it says, notwithstanding a few sentences quoted from the news release, seen below.........
News Release 25 April 2013
Church Issues Statement on Boy Scouts of America
Salt Lake City
For 100 years, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has enjoyed a strong, rewarding relationship with Boy Scouts of America (BSA).
Recently, BSA has been reviewing a possible policy change in its standards for membership and leadership. Now that BSA has finished its review process and has proposed a resolution for consideration, the Church has issued the following statement:
Over the past several weeks BSA has undertaken the difficult task of reviewing its membership standards policy. In their own words, this undertaking has been 'the most comprehensive listening exercise in its history.'
"While the Church has not launched any campaign either to effect or prevent a policy change we have followed the discussion and are satisfied that BSA has made a thoughtful, good-faith effort to address issues that, as they have said, remain 'among the most complex and challenging issues facing the BSA and society today.'
"The current BSA proposal constructively addresses a number of important issues that have been part of the on-going dialogue including consistent standards for all BSA partners, recognition that Scouting exists to serve and benefit youth rather than Scout leaders, a single standard of moral purity for youth in the program, and a renewed emphasis for Scouts to honor their duty to God.
"We are grateful to BSA for their careful consideration of these issues. We appreciate the positive things contained in this current proposal that will help build and strengthen the moral character and leadership skills of youth as we work together in the future.
Just what do they think Boy Scouts grow up to be? Do they then become in eligible to be leaders when they reach 18?
They caved on POLYGAMY - why not on fags as well??
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
Surely you have a comment; or two...
Sorry; but you are misinformed.
The TEACHING has NEVER changed; merely the PRACTICE.
“Uuuuuhhh, that’s not part of my campaign”
—Bishop Myth Romney
Let me translate your question for the folks...
Is it sufficient to say there's not enough pressure anywhere to make me approve the application of a gay Scoutmaster?
" who, being themselves but fallible and uninspired
menCON-ARTISTS, have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible, and as such endeavoring to impose them on others, hath established and maintained false religions over the greatest part of the world, and through all time;"--The Virginia Act For Establishing Religious Freedom
--Thomas Jefferson, 1786
You can’t find any biblical indulgence of the homo fake arrangement. Polygamy is based on heterosexuality.
I knew they didn’t have real conservative value. After all, they made up their own set of “Holy Books”.
The homos just LOVE this verse!!!
2 Samuel 1:26
I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women.
They do not grok agape, Godly love. This is a kind of love which does not call a person to sin, which sodomy would be. It never says that Jonathan scrod David or vice versa. Or even that either worshiped the other. It means that one encouraged the other in the love of God the Father. It’s the thing that the filthy spirits that play in homosexuality are counterfeiting.
“This move is a step toward homosexual Scout leaders and using the Scouts to indoctrinate boys with the radical homosexual agenda.”
Gay Scout leaders are still banned. I like to think the Scout Leaders - and the straight Boy Scouts - might be able to save some of the “gay” kids from leading a life of horrendous pain and suffering.
I wish that every time the LDS Church is mentioned in any way, the Mormon bashers are ready to pounce - even before they have thought it through.
Beck has said before that sodomite “marriage” will not change his life one bit and he sees nothing wrong with it. O’Reilly has said the same thing. Both have also said they are fine with sodomites adopting children. Both these RINOs will say anything to get liberals to like them.
So, it’s OK to diddle young boys as long as you don’t drink a cup of coffee first.