Skip to comments.CA Gun Store Owner Refuses to Give Feds Customer List (ATF Seeks Buyers of AR-15 Lower Receivers)
Posted on 03/13/2014 7:42:46 PM PDT by DogByte6RER
Gun store owner refuses to give feds customer list
OCEANSIDE, Calif. The owner of an Oceanside store that sells various gun parts to build a rifle from scratch refused to turn over his customer list to federal agents.
Dimitrios Karras, owner of Ares Armor, said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents were investigating their business, not for what they sell, but for the people who purchase their products.
Karras said the ATF threatened to shutter their business if they didnt hand over the names of 5,000 customers who have purchased an 80 percent lower receiver (the base) for building an AR-15.
It is legal to build a rifle from scratch without serial numbers only if the base is manufactured to ATF specifications. The base is not considered a firearm if its sold separately.
(Excerpt) Read more at fox5sandiego.com ...
“It is legal to build a rifle from scratch without serial numbers only if the base is manufactured to ATF specifications. The base is not considered a firearm if its sold separately.”
An 80% lower is a hunk of metal that is worked to be almost an AR-15. It requires a bit more work and is considered a homemade firearm which means it can never be sold, only willed.
Short but way more accurate than that blurb.
Do the full auto rules still aplly?
“Do the full auto rules still aplly?”
That depends on where you live. There are conflicting court decisions.
NFA rules apply. All you’re doing by working the receiver is just making a non-transferable firearm that the gov’t doesn’t know anything about.
It looks like this is a classic case of gov’t over-reach after this- http://www.guns.com/2014/02/27/california-gun-parts-maker-assault-city-sign/
The city complains about their signage and suddenly the ATF shows up days later demanding things? Welcome to Obama’s America.
Pure thuggery by the ATF.
I’ll take one of each!
If it’s not a serialized firearm, how would there be any records of who bought what, especially if a person paid cash for it?
They don’t give a damn about the receivers. They want the names for the database they are building in anticipation of the time when some of the American people say “enough”.
The Feds are pressuring the states to hand over their CCDW lists. Which they have no authority to ask for. Instructor in my CCDW class said they had been trying to get the names from Kentucky.
They are expecting some serious dissent and they are preparing to come down on the “non-compliant” citizens when it happens. This is not going to end well.
“Karrass attorney informed the ATF to pick up the receivers Wednesday morning at their Oceanside location, but the inventory was not the issue. The store owner said he will not comply with turning over their private client list.”
Karras’ attorney is his partner in the business. There is a 45 minute video about their dealings with the city of National City over their satellite business location signage. If they’ve sold 5,000 80% lowers, there are probably 200,000 80% lowers out there, because there are dozens of businesses selling them. I guess the ATF is trying to get the plastic one’s because they claim that they are not in reality 80%, but rather finished parts that have had some of the features plugged with another color of plastic.
Speaker John Boehner is shirking his Constitutional Duty by not issuing Articles of Impeachment for B. Hussein Obama.
Removal from Office by the US Senate can ONLY be accomplished AFTER a perp. is Impeached by the US House.
The House is the Police, and the Senate is the Judge and Jury.
First the House must Impeach the POS.
Then the Senate determines if the Impeached POS should be removed from office.
Most FReepers fall in the all or nothing camp and only want a clear path to removal.
Our Constitution makes it very clear: Impeach first by the House, and then have the Senate decide on Removal.
The objective is to punish all those who violate their sacred oaths to defend the US Constitution.
A bi-weekly Impeachment of B. Hussein Obama would be needed to punish him for all of his Constitutional violations over the last 5 years, but I will be satisfied with just one Impeachment.
Obamas Removal from Office by the US Senate would be good for America, but Reids Senate has not yet demonstrated any interest in what is good for America.
Since the RINOs have control of the US House of Representatives in 2014, 2014 is the last year that we can be certain that Obama could be Impeached.
The RINOs assume that they will maintain control of the US House, but their usual desire to lose to Democrats is so strong, that their assumption may not be a valid one.
Impeach B. Hussein Soetoro-Obama in 2014, PERIOD.
“Pure thuggery by the ATF.” no, they wouldn’t do that, its for the children.
“They are expecting some serious dissent” I believe you are correct. Too bad they forget upon which this nation was founded - the shot heard round the world. When our government (King George) wanted to take away our guns, and we said no.
Fully automatic is legal on the reservation -
ATF never bother`n the Mohawks cuz they know they will have another scalpin` war as they did few years back here and in Canada.
One law for Mohawks and other crap for us`n coz the Mohawks take no sht from nobody.
Their 1795 treaties are backed up by machine guns.-
Our 1789 constitution ditto.
They don’t care specifically which one that you bought.
They want the names so they can send them threatening letters saying that they purchased an illegal gun, they have proof, and if you don’t surrender it they will take you to jail.
Our 80 Percent anodized AR-15 lower receiver
is our standard 80 AR-15 lower receiver
with mil-spec hard coat anodizing.
Buy 1-19: $90.00 Each
Buy 20-99: $82.00 Each
Buy 100+: $70.00 Each
Stock Info: 333 In Stock
TO: Whom It May Concern
FROM: Dimitrios Karras, CEO Ares Armor
SUBJ: Temporary Restraining Order Against BATFE
DATE: March 12, 2014
Sir or Maam,
Last week the BATFE Raided EP Armory based on a determination letter that had deemed the 80% Polymer product to be a firearm. The determination letter that the BATFE used to obtain warrants against EP Armory is based on incorrect information about the manufacturing process. The BATFE has been notified of their error and the incorrectness of their determination based on this error.
This week on Monday, March 10th the BATFE threatened to raid us even though they are fully aware that their determination letter is factually incorrect. They requested that we turn over a list of every customer that had purchased a polymer lower from us and turn over the remaining inventory that we have.
Our customers privacy is of the utmost importance to us. I cannot in good moral conscience turn over a list of names to the BATFE just because they unduly threaten us with an unjust raid based on information they KNOW TO BE FALSE!
For the time we are SAFE! We were granted a Temporary Restraining Order against the BATFE on March 11th. The following is the declaration that I made during the process of obtaining this TRO:
Declaration of Dimitrios Karras, CEO Ares Armor
In regards to the events surrounding Ares Armors interaction with EP Armorys products and the threats made towards Ares Armor by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE.) The following declarations are true and correct to the best of my knowledge.
I, Dimitrios Karras, state:
1. During a meeting with the BATFE around the end of 2012 that was unrelated to EP Armorys product, the Agent that was present very strongly requested that I turn over Ares Armors customer list. He intimidated me with the possibility of criminal charges if he was not satisfied. This was the first attempt the BATFE made to intimidate Ares Armor into turning over private customer information.
2. An 80% lower is an industry term for an unfinished receiver that is not considered to be a firearm.
3. EP Armory manufactures an 80% lower receiver made from polymer.
4. Ares Armor purchases and then resells many products one of which is the 80% Polymer Lowers that are made by EP Armory.
5. In the regular course of business I have seen many different 80% AR-15 receivers.
6. EP Armorys product is no different than standard 80% receivers that are sold openly and that the BATFE has consistently determined to not be a firearm. EP Armorys product is in compliance with previous BATFE Determinations and is not a firearm.
7. The BATFE has Raided EP Armory based on incorrect information about EP Armorys manufacturing process. The determination letter written by the BATFE incorrectly classified the EP Armory product as a firearm based on faulty information. The BATFE was under the impression that EP Armory was making a firearm and then reverting back to the 80% stage by filling in the fire-control cavity. At no point during the manufacturing process by EP Armory is a weapon made and then reverted. The solid fire-control cavity is built first and the rest of the 80% casting is made around this core specifically so that their product at no time could be considered to be a firearm.
a. As can be seen in Exhibit 1-3. The BATFE has consistently determined that the machining operations that cannot be performed in order to not be considered a firearm are as follows:
1. Milling out of fire-control cavity.
2. Selector-lever hole drilled.
3. Cutting of trigger slot.
4. Drilling of trigger pin hole.
5. Drilling of hammer pin hole.
b. EP Armorys product is consistent with the BATFEs many previous determinations.
c. At no time during EP Armorys manufacturing process are any of the aforementioned 5 operations in a state that could cause a reasonable person to believe that EP Armorys product would be considered a firearm.
8. The BATFE has been appropriately informed of their mistake. However, even though they have no determination that is based on fact, they are knowingly using their fiction based determination to intimidate Ares Armor with threats in order to inappropriately gain access to information that is private and should be protected.
9. I received communication on or about 3/10/2014 from our legal counsel (Jason Davis) that the BATFE was in the process of obtaining a warrant against Ares Armor based on their incorrect determination of EP Armorys Product. I was advised that the BATFE had offered to forego obtaining a warrant if Ares Armor was willing to:
a. Hand over all of EP Armorys 80% Lowers.
b. Turn over Ares Armor customers private information to the BATFE.
In exchange for turning over our customers private information the BATFE said that they would not raid Ares Armors facilities and would not pursue criminal charges. This made me feel as if I was being extorted. I agreed to their terms in order to delay an impending and unjust raid against Ares Armor long enough to obtain legal protection under the law.
10. I have been unjustly threatened with raids and criminal charges in an attempt by the BATFE to obtain information that is private and protected. The BATFE has expressed interest in obtaining Ares Armors customer list in the past and is now attempting to strong-arm us with undue threats based on information they know to be incorrect.
11. I am now in constant fear for the safety of my employees, my customers and myself.
Executed March 10, 2014 Oceanside, CA
I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.
Democrat fascism in action.
It’s not an illegal gun.
Our local gun shop told my husband during the last annual inspection they had a list of specific customers they were asking about.