Skip to comments.Why Stanford Researchers Tried to Create a ‘Gaydar’ Machine
Posted on 10/10/2017 4:34:54 AM PDT by PapaBear3625
...Few seemed concerned. So to call attention to the privacy risks, he decided to show that it was possible to use facial recognition analysis to detect something intimate, something people should have full rights to keep private.
After considering atheism, he settled on sexual orientation.
Presented with photos of gay men and straight men, a computer program was able to determine which of the two was gay with 81 percent accuracy, according to Dr. Kosinski and co-author Yilun Wangs paper.
The backlash has been fierce.
(Excerpt) Read more at nytimes.com ...
The math is one of those things that I don't get until somebody explains it to me carefully, and then when I try to think it through on my own I still don't understand it. It's like the "Monty Hall: Do you want what's behind the curtain?" problem.
I don't think anybody quarrels with the idea that it's easy to spot many people as gay. There was one kid in every high school like that. Statistically, though, if the school was big enough there could be 6 or 7 or 8 or 10 others who you wouldn't be able to accurately identify. The false positives and false negatives would start to add up, especially if you didn't have other clues.
(Did I just type package??)
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
18:22 Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
20:13 If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
I knew a LOT of gay guys back in the day.
The only one I didn’t get a gaydar ping on was this weightlifter guy. But he exclusively dated very feminine drag queens, so I wondered if that explained it.
“Evidence based research does not support your comments.”
Valid research does. Politicized research, of course, arrives at its own predetermined conclusions.
“I have performed consciousness research”
“Consciousness research?” Really?
Sorry, I place more credence in my own findings.
If it is 91% accurate why would it wrongly identify gays 66% of the time?
The upset is probably coming (so to speak) from the advocates of NAMBLA. Thanks PapaBear3625.
A simple matter of detecting fecal matter surrounding the oral cavity is sufficient for identification of all male queers.
is this like a cylon detector? every is magically a cylon?
A lot of truth in those three sentences.
Let’s agree to disagree. I’m in a medical school setting of a major university working with MD psychiatrists and neuriscientists...even married to a psychiatrist.
My statements are far from politically correct and thus I must be careful not to rock the proverbial boat by publishing them.
There are many factors influencing being gay. For example in over 50% of the 50-60 lesbians I tested the root cause was mother’s anger towards the child’s father while she was pregnant with the child. The first imprint on the tabula rasa and it carried through life.
Trauma with the same sex parent will predispose to being gay, but not opposite gender parent.
Codependency with opposite sex parent can predispose, if a masculine mother or feminine father.
I’ve found in several lesbians that the predisposition was merely due to behavior validation of being gay from birth.
In my research I separate intellectual attraction from emotional chemistry attraction from trauma attraction.
There are sometimes multiple attractions.
Sometimes it is merely peer presure and group identity validation when the child goes to college.
I’ve worked with several hundred gays on a one to one basis and thousands through group workshops. It is a complex subject as it is consciousness related and not genetic.
I try to read/review all new published research on this topic. Most of it is garbage.
The number one attraction in all relationships (both gay and straight) is that we are attracted toward someone who’s personality is similar to someone with whom we have unresolved conflict. This is what causes chemistry attraction in relationships.
“There are many factors influencing being gay.”
SSAD in men is caused by the trauma of a molestation or seduction in the pre-adult years. Simple as that.
But you just keep on with that other crap.
It just measures how much mascara it detects.
“Im in a medical school setting of a major university working with MD psychiatrists and neuriscientists...even married to a psychiatrist.”
The horror; the horror.
I agree... LOL
I’m not bragging, I happen to have a very keen lesbian eye.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.