Skip to comments.Grassley-Graham Letter to Susan Rice re Obama Meeting on Trump-Russia Collusion
Posted on 02/12/2018 1:04:34 PM PST by mojito
February 8, 2018
The Honorable Susan Rice Senior Fellow, Belfer Center Harvard University 79 John F. Kennedy Street Cambridge, MA 02138
c/o Kathryn Ruemmler, Esq. Latham and Watkins LLP 555 Eleventh Street NW Washington, DC 20004
Dear Ambassador Rice:
The Senate Judiciary Committee has a constitutional duty to conduct oversight of the FBI and the broader Department of Justice. Part of that duty involves ensuring that law enforcement efforts are conducted without improper political influence. Accordingly , the Committee has been investigating the FBI's relationship with Christopher Steele during the time his work was funded by Hillary for America and the Democratic National Committee, as well as the FBI's reliance on his unverified third-hand allegations in the Bureau' s representations to courts.
As part of that effort, the Committee sent a request to the National Archives for records of meetings between President Obama and then-FBI Director Corney regarding the FBI's investigation of allegations of collusion between associates of Mr. Trump and the Russian government. In response, the Committee received classified and unclassified versions of an email you sent to yourself on January 20, 2017 - President Trump's inauguration day. If the timestamp is correct, you sent this email to yourself at 12:15pm , presumably a very short time before you departed the White House for the last time.
In this email to yourself, you purport to document a meeting that had taken place more than two weeks before, on January 5, 2017. You wrote:
"On January 5, following a briefing by IC leadership on Russian hacking during the 2016 Presidential election, President Obama had a brief follow-on conversation with FBI Director Jim Corney and Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates in the Oval Office. Vice President Biden and I were also present."
That meeting reportedly included a discussion of the Steele dossier and the FBI's investigation of its claims.1 Your email continued:
"President Obama began the conversation by stressing his continued commitment to ensuring that every aspect of this issue is handled by the Intelligence and law enforcement communities "by the book". The President stressed that he is not asking about, initiating or instructing anything from a law enforcement perspective. He reiterated that our law enforcement team needs to proceed as it normally would by the book."
"From a national security perspective, however, President Obama said he wants to be sure that, as we engage with the incoming team, we are mindful to ascertain if there is any reason that we cannot share information fully as it relates to Russia."
The next part of your email remains classified. After that, you wrote:
"The President asked Corney to inform him if anything changes in the next few weeks that should affect how we share classified information with the incoming team. Corney said he would."
It strikes us as odd that, among your activities in the final moments on the final day of the Obama administration, you would feel the need to send yourself such an unusual email purporting to document a conversation involving President Obama and his interactions with the FBI regarding the Trump/Russia investigation. In addition, despite your claim that President Obama repeatedly told Mr. Corney to proceed " by the book," substantial questions have arisen about whether officials at the FBI, as well as at the Justice Department and the State Department, actually did proceed " by the book."
In order for the Committee to further assess the situation, please respond to the following by February 22, 2018:
1. Did you send the email attached to this letter to yourself? Do you have any reason to dispute the timestamp of the email?
2. When did you first become aware of the FBI's investigation into allegations of collusion between Mr. Trump' s associates and Russia?
3. When did you become aware of any surveillance activities, including FISA applications, undertaken by the FBI in conducting that investigation? At the time you wrote this email to yourself, were you aware of either the October 2016 FISA application for surveillance of Carter Page or the January 2017 renewal?
4. Did anyone instruct, request, suggest, or imply that you should send yourself the aforementioned Inauguration Day email memorializing President Obama' s meeting with Mr. Corney about the Trump/Russia investigation? If so, who and why?
5. Is the account of the January 5, 2017 meeting presented in your email accurate? Did you omit any other portions of the conversation?
6. Other than that email, did you document the January 5, 2017 meeting in any way, such as contemporaneous notes or a formal memo? To the best of your knowledge, did anyone else at that meeting take notes or otherwise memorialize the meeting?
7. During the meeting, did Mr. Corney or Ms. Yates mention potential press coverage of the Steele dossier? If so, what did they say?
8. During the meeting, did Mr. Corney describe the status of the FBI's relationship with Mr. Steele, or the basis for that status?
9. When and how did you first become aware of the allegations made by Christopher Steele?
10. When and how did you first become aware that the Clinton Campaign and the Democratic National Committee funded Mr. Steele's efforts?
11. You wrote that President Obama stressed that he was "not asking about, initiating or instructing anything from a law enforcement perspective." Did President Obama ask about, initiate, or instruct anything from any other perspective relating to the FBI's investigation?
12. Did President Obama have any other meetings with Mr. Corney, Ms. Yates, or other government officials about the FBI's investigation of allegations of collusion between Trump associates and Russia? If so, when did these occur, who participated, and what was discussed?
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please contact Patrick Davis of Chairman Grassley' s staff at (202) 224-5225 or Lee Holmes of Chairman Graham's staff at (202) 224-5972 if you have any questions.
I would really like to know who told her to promulgate the lie about the video on 5 TV shows following Benghazi.
I can picture her sneering at this and throwing it at her lawyer, just like Hillary would.
Did they really call Comey Corney through the whole letter?
Another piece of evidence. Anxious to see how Sundance weaves this into their ongoing deconstruction of the grand criminal enterprise.
[ The Honorable Susan Rice ]
When did it become “honorable” to lie about Benghazi on five national talk shows. How long have I been asleep?
Susan RIce, like Marie Harf, like Joe Biden, etc. ALL these people Obama surrounded himself with were not very smart, they were sycophants who like the German Army, did what their leader told them to do without regard for right and wrong.
Hussein/Clinton weaponized FBI/DOJ/CIA/Treasury to go after Donald Trump, his family, businesses, and associates. Heads should roll, perp walks galore, prison time for key criminals. Actual banana republic tactics.
If not, Trump should setup the exact same surveilience against any Democrat contemplating a presidential run in 2020.
Side bar - who else did Hussein/Clinton go after? Cruz? Kasich? Sanders? Rubio? Jeb! Fiorina?
The optical scan at the link has the correct spelling of Comey.
Probably the vagaries of the typefont used. In many sans-serif faces "m" comes across as "rn", when optically scanned, or mis-transcribed by a human.
Its obvious a cya email. It does suggest however that the President was cognizant of the possibility that things might not be done by the book. It also refers to the meeting as a follow-on conversation, suggesting that there were earlier conversations like this. What I want to know is why Strzok and Page have hundreds of texts concerning this investigation but there dont appear to be many emails between the other actors in the drama. It makes you think they deliberately refrained from using email.
Mr. “Corney”? How in the heck did they make that mistake throughout the memo?
i'm no Sherlock, but this seems about as blatant as CYA gets
Yes, looking at the pdf online, it's spelled correctly, but if one does a search for "Corney", the hits are on "Comey."
Why was Zero asking Comey to keep him informed of ANY DAMN THING AFTER 1/20/2017? He was no longer POTUS...
It also shows that the Presidents claim that he did not meet with Comey to discuss pending investigations was a lie.
The way the questions are worded, it seems that Grassley-Graham already know the answers to these questions.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.