Oh-kay. Is this one of those “Germany invades Poland” moments?
If it is, absolutely right now, President Trump needs to be talking with every major power in the region about what will happen if Pakistan and India start pitching nukes at each other. I see basically two options:
When one state initiates by using a nuke, the United States will nuke the aggressor state, plus a little, to let them know they have done bad. Then, the US will support the aggressor state losing a big chunk of land which will go to their hated enemy.
We tell every other nation in the region that if Pakistan and India start throwing nukes at each other, that neither country will get any external support or interference.
The second option is actually the more dangerous one, though most Americans would be willing to say that it’s not our problem.
Good for India. No matter what concessions are made, it will never be enough, and violence will continue to escalate. Nip it in the bud now
though most Americans would be willing to say that its not our problem.
Its not our problem.
No, it’s not a “Germany invades Poland” momeber.
Here’s the 90 second blurb on what happened.
1. 1000 AD: Muslims invade the continent of India which has many nations but similar religions and similar cultures. Many get converted over the centuries
2. 1947 the two unions: India and Pakistan are made of myriad nations and are distinguished by Paki being majority (80%) Muslim and India being 82% Hindu. Today Paki is 98% Muslim and India is 79% Hindu.
3. Kashmir in 1947 was a kingdom consisting of 3 parts - the Kashmir valley and north-west (Muslim dominated), Jammu (south and Hindu dominated) and the Ladalh plateau in the north-east, essentially part of Tibet and hence Buddhist dominated.
4. Kashmir’s hindu king decides to go it alone, but gets invaded by Pakistan. He then pitches in to India. India helps him out but the Pakist get most of the north-west Muslim dominated area except the Kashmir valley.
5. the entire troika gets clubbed into one India state (nation really) despite they being three distinct areas (culturally, religious and linguistically - but the JAmmu and Kahsmiri languages are both Indic, so related.
6. Pakistan declares war on India over Kashmira in 1965 and nearly in 1999.
7. India keeps J&K (Jammu and Kashmir) as a ‘special status area’ - kinda like Puerto Rico’s status but where non-JKs can’t buy land there and also that the JK politics becomes dominated by 2 ruling dynasties.
8. the Hindutva party of the BJP decides to scrap it in 2019 and make two union territories.
This is not an invasion, this is only a 70year old overdue integration.
The POK = Pakistan occupied Kashmir
and here's a religious demographics map