Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Defeat of DREAM Act only a temporary setback, says Archbishop Gomez
Catholic News Agency ^ | Dec 22, 2010

Posted on 12/23/2010 8:10:12 AM PST by Alex Murphy

Washington D.C., Dec 22, 2010 / 07:50 pm (CNA).- Although the controversial immigration DREAM Act failed to pass through the Senate last week, the support that the bill garnered in the House was enough to make Archbishop Jose Gomez, chairman of the U.S. Bishops’ Committee on Migration, “confident” that the legislation will succeed in the near future.

Despite the U.S. bishops endorsing the the DREAM Act – a bill that would grant citizenship to many children brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents – the measure was defeated in the U.S. Senate on Dec. 18 after supporters failed to muster enough votes to block a filibuster.

Sixty votes were needed to end the filibuster, but proponents could only gather 55, with 41 senators voting to prevent the bill from coming up for a vote before the full Senate. The U.S. House of Representatives, however, had earlier passed the bill on a 216-198 vote.

The act's full title is the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act. It would have allowed young people who entered the United States before the age of 16 to apply for legal permanent residence and eventual citizenship, as long as they finish high school, have no criminal record, have lived in the U.S. for more than five years and complete two years of college or military service.

While Democrats largely supported the measure, Republicans had criticized it for encouraging illegal immigrants to bring their children across unsecured borders.

Archbishop Gomez said in a Dec. 21, statement, however, that because of the widespread approval the bill had among most U.S. representatives and a significant show of support among senators, “it is clear that a majority of Congress and of the American public support this common-sense humanitarian measure.”

“I am confident that one day – sooner rather than later – the DREAM Act will become the law of the land.”

Archbishop Gomez extended his thanks to congressional leaders who supported the legislation but also expressed sadness over its current failure.

“My heart goes out to the thousands of young people who would have been helped by the DREAM Act and were disappointed by the Senate action,” he said. “We will continue to work so that one day soon you will have the opportunity to become Americans.”

“The U.S. Catholic bishops will continue to advocate for humane immigration reform, so that we can attain an immigration system that properly balances the need to protect our national sovereignty with our obligation to honor fundamental human rights.”

Archbishop Gomez underscored the need for more “education” to ensure that “Catholics, as well as all Americans, fully understand the humanitarian consequences of a broken immigration system, especially on families.”


TOPICS: Catholic; Ministry/Outreach; Religion & Culture; Religion & Politics
KEYWORDS: aliens; amnesty; archbishopgomez; dreamact; immigration
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-81 next last
Archbishop Gomez extended his thanks to congressional leaders who supported the legislation but also expressed sadness over its current failure.

“My heart goes out to the thousands of young people who would have been helped by the DREAM Act and were disappointed by the Senate action,” he said. “We will continue to work so that one day soon you will have the opportunity to become Americans.”

The U.S. Catholic bishops will continue to advocate for humane immigration reform, so that we can attain an immigration system that properly balances the need to protect our national sovereignty with our obligation to honor fundamental human rights.”

1 posted on 12/23/2010 8:10:15 AM PST by Alex Murphy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy

Sounds like somebody’s tax exempt status needs to be reviewed.


2 posted on 12/23/2010 8:19:15 AM PST by mrmeyer ("When brute force is on the march, compromise is the red carpet." Ayn Rand)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy

Well at least we know the views of the anti-american, homosexual, communist wing of the Roman Catholic Church.


3 posted on 12/23/2010 8:23:56 AM PST by Dick Vomer (democrats are like flies, whatever they don't eat, they sh#t on)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Dick Vomer

Gomez is a member of Opus Dei. He is not anti-American, nor homosexual, nor communist.


4 posted on 12/23/2010 8:25:40 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: mrmeyer

Would you say the same thing about the Church for its stand against legalized abortion?


5 posted on 12/23/2010 8:26:36 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy
Amazing thing that you'd find a Roman Catholic bishop doing so much on behalf of people who will probably become Pentecostals.

Ain't America a grand place!

6 posted on 12/23/2010 8:30:25 AM PST by muawiyah
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy
Although the controversial immigration DREAM Act failed to pass through the Senate last week, the support that the bill garnered in the House was enough to make Archbishop Jose Gomez, chairman of the U.S. Bishops’ Committee on Migration, “confident” that the legislation will succeed in the near future.

Someone needs to inform the Archbiship that the complexion of the House will have been changed somewhat when they next reconvene.

7 posted on 12/23/2010 8:32:32 AM PST by skeeter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy
“We will continue to work so that one day soon you will have the opportunity to become Americans.”

BTW this sappy sentiment reeks of naivete - anyone close to the problem knows that any desire to 'become Americans' is driven by selfish personal interests rather than a patriotic sense of wanting to belong.

Any rational person can see that the vast majority of these people otherwise are perfectly happy to remain citizens of their native countries whilte they earn (or are given) a living here.

8 posted on 12/23/2010 8:37:41 AM PST by skeeter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: skeeter
Someone needs to inform the Archbiship that the complexion of the House will have been changed somewhat when they next reconvene.

Exactly. His Excellency/Eminence/whatever seems to be in a bit of denial about the political facts on the ground.

9 posted on 12/23/2010 8:38:42 AM PST by ScottinVA (The West needs to act NOW to aggressively treat its metastasizing islaminoma!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”


10 posted on 12/23/2010 8:42:42 AM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

>>He is not anti-American,<<

If he’s for the DREAM Act or any other sort of amnesty I consider him anti-American.


11 posted on 12/23/2010 8:43:37 AM PST by B4Ranch (Do NOT remain seated until this ride comes to a full and complete stop! We're going the wrong way!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: mrmeyer

A priest or bishop or deacon can speak to ISSUES. They lose the tax-exempt status if they endorse candidates.

I think many misunderstand this little bit of law.


12 posted on 12/23/2010 8:43:59 AM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Dick Vomer

**anti-american, homosexual, communist wing of the Roman Catholic Church.**

Why don’t you tell us outright that you hate the Catholic Church?

Do you know how Archbishop Gomez obtained his American citizenship? There are articles — because I posted one. He studied the language, studied the laws of the United States, studied the customs, took the test and PASSED it to become an American citizen.

Perhaps you did not know that.....he did it the right way and I believe he wants others to do it the right way.

He is not in favor of hand-outs at all.

Why do you put the name “Homosexual” on the Catholic Church when there are more homosexual acts performed by parents, teachers, coaches and ministers of Protestant churches? It’s just an old habit, right?

And why do you put the name “communist” on the Catholic Church? The Church has repeatedly stated that it does not support communistic views.

Perhaps you had better do some research before you let your fingers do the talking for you — in falsehoods galore!

Lord have mercy on you!

What happened to your obedience of the Commandment “Thought shalt not beat false witnness against your neighbor”??


13 posted on 12/23/2010 8:50:07 AM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Salvation

The “wisdom of Gomex the Gomer” - how did we live without it?

Oops - “Gomex” should be “Gomez”.


14 posted on 12/23/2010 8:52:02 AM PST by GladesGuru (In a society predicated upon freedom, it is essential to examine principles,)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy

If you push us mex... you ain’t going to like our PERMANENT solution.

LLS


15 posted on 12/23/2010 8:52:37 AM PST by LibLieSlayer (It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a dim to enter the kingdom of GOD!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Salvation; Dick Vomer
Why don’t you tell us outright that you hate the Catholic Church?....Perhaps you had better do some research before you let your fingers do the talking for you — in falsehoods galore! Lord have mercy on you! What happened to your obedience of the Commandment “Thought shalt not beat false witnness against your neighbor”??

Who's bearing false witness, Salvation?

16 posted on 12/23/2010 8:52:43 AM PST by Alex Murphy ("Posting news feeds, making eyes bleed, he's hated on seven continents")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: skeeter

And you need to be informed that Archbishop Gomez is NO Cardinal Mahony. Don’t try to pin Manhony’s previous ways on him!

He is opposed to most of what Mahony did. Check it out!


17 posted on 12/23/2010 8:55:42 AM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
Infanticide is not the issue, it's a foreign national working to undermine the laws determining who is here legally and who is not. Making exceptions for some law breakers when others follow the rules to be in this country. No rule of law, no borders = no nation.

The Archbishop is pimping amnesty to keep both the pews filled and the collections coming in.
18 posted on 12/23/2010 8:55:52 AM PST by mrmeyer ("When brute force is on the march, compromise is the red carpet." Ayn Rand)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

then he is anti-criminal. he should keep his freakin mouth shut, America has spoken. If he donts like it, go back where he comes from.


19 posted on 12/23/2010 8:57:03 AM PST by biggredd1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Salvation

Our neighbors south of the border don’t believe in lines. Getting them to take-a-number is like getting cats to do close order drill.
If the Catholic church wants several million more tithing members, It can agree to act as surety for their housing, food, education, medication and costs of incareration.
But It isn’t prepared to do that, as you know, so It can take its sanctimonious scolding and get bent.

“there are more homosexual acts performed by parents, teachers, coaches and ministers of Protestant churches”
Smells like teen spirit. Source?


20 posted on 12/23/2010 9:02:11 AM PST by tumblindice (Out with Lugar, in with Pence)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Salvation
The archbishop's comments here tell me all I need to know about him.

Like Mahoney he's completely blind to the suffering of American citizens caused by our uncontrolled borders and broken immigration system.

For some reason he's chosen to throw in with the invaders.

21 posted on 12/23/2010 9:04:47 AM PST by skeeter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: tumblindice

Source: The John Jay Report

22 posted on 12/23/2010 9:08:24 AM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: tumblindice

The most probable pedophiles in order are:

Fathers
Teachers
Coaches
Protestant ministers

Priests are way down on the list.

So if a father is a teacher of mid-high history, coaches the girl’s basketball team and is a youth minister at his church on weekends/Sundays — watch out! He would be much more prone to pedophilia that any priest.

___________________________________________________________

Sexual Abuse of Children by Protestant Ministers

Report: Protestant Church Insurers Handle 260 Sex Abuse Cases a Year

Abuse by Protestant Ministers of Every Denomination

Child Sexual Molestation by Various Protestant Clergy

Baptist Predators website

"Yeshiva" of Brooklyn also Guilty of Child Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sex Abuse by Teachers Said Worse Than Catholic Church

WHEN BOYS ARE MOLESTED BY TEACHERS AND OTHERS IN POSITIONS OF AUTHORITY

Forgotten Study: Abuse in School 100 Times Worse than by Priests

 


23 posted on 12/23/2010 9:09:00 AM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: tumblindice

Too often, problem teachers are allowed to leave quietly. That can mean future abuse for another student and another school district.

“They might deal with it internally, suspending the person or having the person move on. So their license is never investigated,” says Charol Shakeshaft, a leading expert in teacher sex abuse who heads the educational leadership department at Virginia Commonwealth University.

It’s a dynamic so common it has its own nicknames—“passing the trash” or the “mobile molester.”

Laws in several states require that even an allegation of sexual misconduct be reported to the state departments that oversee teacher licenses. But there’s no consistent enforcement, so such laws are easy to ignore.

School officials fear public embarrassment as much as the perpetrators do, Shakeshaft says. They want to avoid the fallout from going up against a popular teacher. They also don’t want to get sued by teachers or victims, and they don’t want to face a challenge from a strong union.



24 posted on 12/23/2010 9:10:25 AM PST by Salvation ("With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: Salvation
Disgusting tact you're taking here.

Merry Christmas BTW.

25 posted on 12/23/2010 9:11:42 AM PST by skeeter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: Salvation

Give us source to click. That graph apparently attributes all “incidents” not committed to priests as having been committed by protestants. What about “undocumented immigrants”? Non-church going molesters? And so forth and so on.
Smells like a biased “child victims of gun violence” piece of work—that includes gang-bangers.


26 posted on 12/23/2010 9:13:37 AM PST by tumblindice (Out with Lugar, in with Pence)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: Salvation

Looks like you’ve given the topic a lot of thought. Very nice. But it is a red herring, so let’s get back on track:
When the Catholic church is prepared to pay for their 20+million new parishioners, then we’ll talk about protestant child molestation.
Merry X-mas!


27 posted on 12/23/2010 9:16:52 AM PST by tumblindice (Out with Lugar, in with Pence)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: B4Ranch

you wrote:

“If he’s for the DREAM Act or any other sort of amnesty I consider him anti-American.”

There’s no logical reason to believe your considerations matter.


28 posted on 12/23/2010 9:45:17 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: biggredd1

You wrote:

“then he is anti-criminal.”

The children were not criminals. Their parents were.

“he should keep his freakin mouth shut, America has spoken.”

He has freedom of speech. You’re sounding a lot like a Liberal.

“If he donts like it, go back where he comes from.”

Or he can change it in the democratic process. Last time I checked this was not a fascist dictatorship.


29 posted on 12/23/2010 9:48:12 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Alex Murphy
No more amensties until the border is secured.

This is not negotialble.

30 posted on 12/23/2010 9:48:40 AM PST by tacticalogic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: mrmeyer

you wrote:

“Infanticide is not the issue,”

But would you want the Church’s tax excempt status yanked over fighting abortion?

“it’s a foreign national working to undermine the laws determining who is here legally and who is not.”

False. It is a legal resident or citizen speaking in favor of a law that was recently before congress.

“Making exceptions for some law breakers when others follow the rules to be in this country. No rule of law, no borders = no nation.”

So, we will no longer make exceptions for the children of lawbreakers? We will treat them the same way as their criminal parents? So, you’re for putting two year olds in prison, right?


31 posted on 12/23/2010 9:52:23 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: 1_Inch_Group; 2sheep; 2Trievers; 3AngelaD; 3pools; 3rdcanyon; 4Freedom; 4ourprogeny; 7.62 x 51mm; ..

Ping!


32 posted on 12/23/2010 9:54:20 AM PST by HiJinx (Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Good Night!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

That’s true, nor do yours, except to our personal friends and family.


33 posted on 12/23/2010 10:15:52 AM PST by B4Ranch (Do NOT remain seated until this ride comes to a full and complete stop! We're going the wrong way!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
No, I'm for deporting them. Their parents knew they were breaking the law when they came here illegally. Their children should not receive the benefits of citizenship if their parents did not have legal status, archor baby or otherwise. Rewarding bad behavior will only result in more of the same behavior.

The Archibishop is a Mexican national by birth, legal status aside, his loyalty is to his native country. He is an open borders Christian. He is using his position and the authority granted by the Church to undermine US sovereignty and cheapen the meaning of citizenship, which is a slap in the face to all who obeyed the immigration law of this country and came here in a legal and lawful manner.


34 posted on 12/23/2010 10:17:55 AM PST by mrmeyer ("When brute force is on the march, compromise is the red carpet." Ayn Rand)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: B4Ranch

You wrote:

“That’s true, nor do yours, except to our personal friends and family.”

False. My considerations are grounded in logic whereas yours are apparently grounded in ignorant opinion.


35 posted on 12/23/2010 10:24:53 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: mrmeyer

You wrote:

“Rewarding bad behavior will only result in more of the same behavior.”

What bad behavior did the children commit?

“The Archibishop is a Mexican national by birth, legal status aside, his loyalty is to his native country.”

His loyalty is to God.

“He is an open borders Christian.”

No, he just sees no reason to send children back to countries they don’t even remember.

“He is using his position and the authority granted by the Church to undermine US sovereignty and cheapen the meaning of citizenship, which is a slap in the face to all who obeyed the immigration law of this country and came here in a legal and lawful manner.”

False. He is using his position to speak out on a matter concerning children which he and his fellow bishops believe to be harmful and unfair. This is a slap to no honest immigrant because these children did not violate the law - it was their parents who did so.


36 posted on 12/23/2010 10:29:10 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
What bad behavior did the children commit?

Not leaving the country when they reached the age of culpability.

37 posted on 12/23/2010 10:45:29 AM PST by triumphant values (Never criticize that to your right.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

I recognize whom I should not debate.

Merry Christmas and may you always have such a high opinion of yourself.


38 posted on 12/23/2010 10:50:52 AM PST by B4Ranch (Do NOT remain seated until this ride comes to a full and complete stop! We're going the wrong way!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: triumphant values

You wrote:

“Not leaving the country when they reached the age of culpability.”

It’s not bad behavior to not want to abandon the only home you’ve ever known.


39 posted on 12/23/2010 10:52:35 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: B4Ranch

You wrote:

“I recognize whom I should not debate.”

Hopefully, one day, you’ll advance to the point where you’ll realize YOU probably shouldn’t debate. Those who don’t have the skills shouldn’t take up the task.

“Merry Christmas and may you always have such a high opinion of yourself.”

It has nothing to do with opinion. What is logical is logical. Your considerations have nothing to do with logic.


40 posted on 12/23/2010 10:54:51 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
The children are not entitled to become Americans or be granted citizen status just because they're illegal alien parents illegaly carried them over the border, in utero or otherwise. Why would they be entitled to cut in line over those that have obeyed the laws of this nation, especially those who came here legally with their children?

The children suffer as a direct result of their own parents and their criminal actions. Their parents by their illegal actions create a "harmful and unfair" situation. Actions have consequences, and the right consequence for coming into this nation illegally is deportation, not preferential treatment over those who obey the immigration laws.


41 posted on 12/23/2010 10:58:17 AM PST by mrmeyer ("When brute force is on the march, compromise is the red carpet." Ayn Rand)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
It’s not bad behavior to not want to abandon the only home you’ve ever known.

Not wanting to? No, that's a thought, not a behavior.

Not leaving? That's a bad behavior. Lots of things I don't want to do, I do, because it would be bad not to.

You asked for an example, I gave one, but I see you've already called the grounds crew in to move the goal posts. That too would be a bad behavior. It's a form of dishonesty.

42 posted on 12/23/2010 11:07:05 AM PST by triumphant values (Never criticize that to your right.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: Salvation

When it comes to publicly supporting whatever immigration "reform" that comes along, while simultaneously criticizing efforts to enforce existing immigration law which might stem the tide of foreign nationals invading this nation from our Southern borders, the two [Mahoney & Gomez] are as peas in a pod.

Check it out!

43 posted on 12/23/2010 11:08:02 AM PST by BlueDragon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: mrmeyer

You wrote:

“The children are not entitled to become Americans or be granted citizen status just because they’re illegal alien parents illegaly carried them over the border, in utero or otherwise.”

I never said they were.

” Why would they be entitled to cut in line over those that have obeyed the laws of this nation, especially those who came here legally with their children?”

I never said they were entitled to “cut in line”. I also do not make the mistake of dismissing the fact that these kids have grown up here, speak the language already, and consider themselves Americans. Those are facts. I don’t believe it is “cutting in line” to recognize those facts.

“The children suffer as a direct result of their own parents and their criminal actions.”\

True. If that suffering - on the part of innocent children who committed no wrong on their own - can be eased, should it?

“Their parents by their illegal actions create a “harmful and unfair” situation.”

True. And again, if that can be eased for the innocent, should it?

“Actions have consequences, and the right consequence for coming into this nation illegally is deportation, not preferential treatment over those who obey the immigration laws.”

They didn’t come here. They were brought here. Should the innocent children be punished in the same way and to the same extent as the guilty parents?


44 posted on 12/23/2010 11:09:29 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
No, he just sees no reason to send children back to countries they don’t even remember.

Their parents had no problem bringing them to a country they didn't have any familiarity with.

Now you're saying I should be more generous to them than their parents? Geesh, talk about bleeding heart liberalism.

45 posted on 12/23/2010 11:10:21 AM PST by triumphant values (Never criticize that to your right.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
Should the innocent children be punished in the same way and to the same extent as the guilty parents?

Deportation is not a punishment. It's just righting a previous wrong.

You don't get to keep a stolen bicycle, just because you didn't know it was stolen and fell in love with it. The police officer checks the serial number, determines it is one reported stolen, and returns it to its rightful owner. That's not punishing you.

46 posted on 12/23/2010 11:13:40 AM PST by triumphant values (Never criticize that to your right.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

To: triumphant values

You wrote:

“Their parents had no problem bringing them to a country they didn’t have any familiarity with.”

Exactly. Their PARENTS.

“Now you’re saying I should be more generous to them than their parents? Geesh, talk about bleeding heart liberalism.”

No, I think you should at least take the fact that these kids have known nothing other than America into your calculations.


47 posted on 12/23/2010 11:22:59 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

To: triumphant values

You wrote:

“Deportation is not a punishment. It’s just righting a previous wrong.”

Deporting someone to a country he doesn’t even know is a punishment. The suffering seems out of proportion to his action (which was NOTHING since he wasn’t the one who violated the law).

“You don’t get to keep a stolen bicycle, just because you didn’t know it was stolen and fell in love with it.”

No, you don’t, but then again they don’t burn down your house because your dad stole the neighbor’s bike either. To automatically assume someone should lose the only homeland he has any knowledge of because of what dad or mom did seems excessive.

“The police officer checks the serial number, determines it is one reported stolen, and returns it to its rightful owner. That’s not punishing you.”

Your analogy doesn’t work. It would at least work better if you used a house rather than a bike.


48 posted on 12/23/2010 11:27:29 AM PST by vladimir998 (Copts, Nazis, Franks and Beans - what a public school education puts in your head.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998

You feel it is necessary to make a personal attack against anyone who disagrees with your opinion which is a sign of low self-esteem.

Again, Merry Christmas ......


49 posted on 12/23/2010 11:28:47 AM PST by B4Ranch (Do NOT remain seated until this ride comes to a full and complete stop! We're going the wrong way!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: vladimir998
I'd have to refer the Bishop to Romans 13 1-7.

Coming or being brought, splitting hairs aside, they are in violation of the law. Period. Because it is inconvenient for them to obey the law, they choose to have it ignored, repealed, or changed in order to not abide by the law.

Making an exception for a few because of the specifics of their circumstance undermines the law and disenfranchises those that have obeyed the law to enter this nation by a legal and proper manner. Any exception for a particular individual's circumstance would set a very dangerous precedent that would be exploited in the legal system. Equal application of the law needs to be maintained.

Their suffering and hardship at the poor decision and actions of their parents is no excuse to seek to ignore or undermine the laws on immigration established by the citizens of this nation and its goverment.
50 posted on 12/23/2010 11:32:36 AM PST by mrmeyer ("When brute force is on the march, compromise is the red carpet." Ayn Rand)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-81 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson