|This thread has been locked, it will not receive new replies.|
Locked on 09/24/2005 7:35:39 AM PDT by Admin Moderator, reason:
Locked - New Thread http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1490520/posts
Skip to comments.Hurricane Rita Freeper Sign In Thread
Posted on 09/21/2005 10:36:57 AM PDT by Howlin
If you are in the path of this storm, please sign in here, so that the rest of us can keep track of our "displaced" friends and family.
And when you return, remember to sign in, as we will be looking for you!
Well, I finally talked to her about an hour ago. I told her to keep me updated and especially to call me if she needed to come back this way and stay with us. You take care too!
Not sure where you are, but there's 2,000 evacuees headed toward the Hub City......it would be great to have you up here.
It should be a cat 1 or lower when it gets here and I need the rain.
I just called my office and my IT guys told me that they used the fire sprinklers to flood the server room.
They can leave now as their work is done!!
Rita or not, no reason for me to work tomorrow.
Will do. Howlin and I exchanged numbers so I'll try to report to her. But ya'll be warned - circuits are all on overload. My son tried to get us for 3 solid hours last night.
And I never realized how many family and friends we have because over the past two days the phone hasn't stopped ringing, LOL!
Lord have mercy. Your poor son-in-law. Please let us know what you decide to do. Prayers for y'all of course.
He made it on fumes..he was closer than I realized..We are aiming at a 3am decision..cooler..one car(no gas in his).
It is a jungle out there..People are getting very short tempered, he relates, and the TV is showing it,too....We'll have 3 adults, 3 cats and 5 kittens..Lots of frozen bottles of water....and too much STUFF!
I'm going to answer you in FR mail.
we headed out I-10E for Jackson, MS, last night at around 11:30pm. not enough traffic to make us stop, and were able to drive at least 55 or better the whole way. Hate seeing the news with the evacuation mess right now! We'll be back as soon as possible.
If you post Howlin's number I won't post yours............
; < )
I am doing whatever it takes to be mature, sober and ready for the storm. Then on the Weather Channel they said to use the stuff that expires first.
There ain't no expiration date on whiskey.
I am going to try to finish it all before it goes bad.
Crap, TheMom just brought in another coupla bottles.
Rita is "wabbling" east, toward the TX/LA border, putting it directly over the refineries. But who knows what will happen tomorrow??
Dr. Neil Frank, our hurricane guru, says it wabbled to the west, now wabbling toward the east. But at least she's losing some of her punch. Stay safe!
Bell, if the freeways clear and you want to make a run for it, head up to our house close to Conroe/Woodlands. If you can get up to 290 W, I can give you directions to our house.
We have a nice guest room. ;-)
FReepmail for phone #.
You BAD! ;-)
Well, try to call Howlin' if your power is out so she can report back. Hunker down!
She made it to Huntsville from Pasedena in 19 hours...she is at her daughters apartment and plans to stick it out there.
She won't have internet connection as no landline, but daughter does have an awesome stereo...gotta love those college kids.
Told her if anything changes, load the family up and head here.
Guess I get to eat the chocolate I bought for her..ha.
Where are you now?
dandelion here, reporting in from the Heart o' Texas area, Limestone county. Looking to ride it out here with my extended family and several pets, the news reporting that we probably will get tropical storm force winds if the latest track holds. We are praying for all in the storms path, and holding out hope that this monster storm will weaken...
Oops, am I in the wrong thread?
I'm in Pineville in Central Louisiana. Alexandria has declared a state of emergency and our schools will be closed tomorrow. Texas license plates are everywhere and traffic is bumper-to-bumper on both highways and local streets. Stores weren't too packed this morning and I had no problem shopping or getting gas. However, once the announcement was made about the schools closing, the locals did a 180 and came out in full force to shop and fill their tanks. I couldn't believe the difference a few hours made.
We are staying here. We live on the second floor of an apartment building with lots of stored water, nonperishable food, batteries and more on hand. The neighborhood seems to be designed with drainage in mind, so I hope the parking lot doesn't flood. I am very concerned about the tornado predictions. I only moved to Louisiana two years ago and missed Hurricane Lili, so I don't really know what I'm in for.
I send my prayers to everyone who is on the road!
Yes, you are.
And you can do me a favor; link this thread to the Louisiana FR message board, will you?
And stay safe!
Be sure to check in as you can; we'll be taking roll after the storm!
Best of luck.
OK, link posted...your wish is my command ;-)
I hope they come over and sign up!
I'm near Wichita Falls at my Mother's - the current track is looking better for us on the sw side of Houston - sorry for those north.....
Glad Jaded made it, I was worried about her. Thanks for letting me know -- and enjoy all that chocolate!
I'm in Copper Lakes in NW Houston near Barker Cypress and 290.
My husband and I will be riding out the storm here, much to the dismay of my family in Oklahoma.
God be with you all.
Well I bugged out at 9pm Wed. I'm in Ft. Worth staying with a friend.
Wish you would consider going up to Pearland at least.
You've got folks praying for you, so you're not alone!
American72 here in Spring Branch signing in. Were going to evacuate, but no way to get out with all the traffic. My dad, BnBlFlag, mom, brother, sis-in-law and kids made it to our house from Chambers County, where they were under mandatory evacuation orders. Lots of people in my small house! We'll be praying this thing turns, weakens, or passes quickly and we're not without AC for days on end!!
I am in Lake Charles, LA but I made it to my sister's in Lafayette. We are keeping an eye on the weather to see if we need to take 49 north.
I am located in Lubbock. I live in a small efficiency; that and the lease rules prevent me from extending my hospitality. However, if you are going to be here, please let me know if I can assist in any way. Run errands, etc. I'll be happy to do so.
South of Baton Rouge, west bank- checking in......again..
Looks like we did the right thing based upon the current projected land fall.... You can never know for sure with these things until the final come ashore....
Anyway good luck to all and stay safe. Looks like the Houston area may have dodged a bullet this time or at least will be much better than originally thought.
We're tentatively heading east to Lake Charles, but that's subject to change as we get more detailed information throughout the day.
Does this mean that Rita is bypassing Houston. Any idea what the projected path is?
Thanks for the info. Stay safe.
I was up in your area a few weeks ago. Didn't spend anytime just dropped off a couple of vehicles and did the reverse thing.
Wow, what an awesome idea. My MIL is stuck in Nolanville, just south of Waco, and is heading to a shelter. She's leaving her little dog in the trailer. I'll pass this along so she'll feel better about it.
I live in SW Houston, but have moved to a friend's house in the NW area. Due to my work situation, I was unable to evacuate early enough to get out of town. It took 5 hours to drive the 22 miles to get here.
My brother and sister-in law left Houston at 4:30am this morning and arrived at their destination at Lake Placid in Seguin around 7:00pm -over 14 hours to cover approx 180 miles.
My other brother has been traveling all day from Houston to Lake Placid and as of several hours ago, he was still over 100 miles from Seguin.
This thread is too dang long for me to sift through and look for folks in the Killeen/Nolanville area who might be able to help me contact my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and nephew when this is over. They live in mobile homes in Nolanville and are stuck. By Wednesday it was too late to get out - no motels for 600 miles and worried about running out of gas if they just got in the car and started driving.
They are going to a shelter but we (in Utah) are of course worried sick and know that we may lose touch with them for a few days. My husband (4mer Liberal)is a ham operarator and is working on making area contacts, as well as something called Echolink which I'm not clear about. I think it's a ham link using the computer. I know he's talked all over the world on it.
So if anyone lives in that area, and especially if you operate a ham radio, please reply.
And best of luck to all of you staying in Texas. I am praying for all of you.
I am also in Copper Lakes, staying at a friends house.
Thanks for Dr Neil's update. Please let me know if anything changes. Where are you now? I will be checking in when I can. Right now the projected path shows the eye going over our home in south Liberty county. I am trying to accept the idea that it may not quite all be there when we go home. You know, when you expect the worst, anything less than the worst will be good. I have my pictures, important papers, and computer with me. Oh yeah, brought the bills too. Should have left them.
As it is, we didn't evacuate far enough. 70 mph sustained winds expected here in Alexandria tomorrow night.
God help us all.
You said "here in Alexandria" -- did you evacuate to a hotel or home in this area?
We came through Leesville around 4 am this morning on way to Alexandria. Could'a used a cup of coffee about then - where were you? :o)
I did see tonight that Leesville is not looking good. What are you going to do - hunker down or leave? Take care my friend.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.