Skip to comments.Man Fires Bullet With Hammer
Posted on 04/24/2009 7:15:08 PM PDT by John W
PLEASANT LAKE, Ind. (WANE) - George Fath moved to his mobile home in rural Steuben County two months ago. The previous owners left a lot of trash in the yard, so Fath was cleaning up Thursday afternoon. That's when he found a 22 caliber bullet in the yard. He didn't want his three young boys to get hurt from the bullet, so Fath decided to dispose of it.
"My hammer was outside so I took the bullet and put it on a rock and smacked it with the hammer," Fath said.
Fath wasn't expecting the bullet to fire.
"It went off and went into my belly and knocked me on my butt," Fath said.
Fath said he thought he was shot in the stomach. His wife called 911. According to the police report the bullet didn't actually hit Fath.
"Fath was not bleeding, and it did not appear that Fath was struck with the bullet. Fath suffered a minor abrasion to the area of his stomach," police records read.
But, Fath told NewsChannel 15 the bullet did go in his stomach and doctors removed it at the hospital.
"I smacked the bullet and fell down and blood came pouring out," Fath said. "I was hitting it to smash it. I didn't expect it to go bang."
Fath said he'll never hit a bullet with a hammer again.
"I wasn't thinking about it. It was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life. I suggest nobody do it," Fath said.
Police agree. Steuben County Sheriff Rick Lewis said no one should ever hit a bullet with anything.
"The round can go anywhere. It could hit the person striking it with a hammer, a neighbor, a child in the yard. There's just no controlling where the bullet will go," Lewis said.
A bullet doesn't have to be in a gun to fire.
"Anytime you get pressure [to the end of the bullet] to cause it to explode, it will fire," Lewis said.
If someone finds a bullet, don't throw it in the trash either.
"Call local law enforcement and we can take car of it," Lewis said.
Think I read a Darwin Award a few yrs. ago about a couple bubbas that did just that.
Cartridge got hot , went off and they wrecked on a bridge.
IIRC one of them had some testicular damage.
Did you ever drop an M-80 mud ball in a topless 55gal barrel of water?
For the record, I did not sustain testicular damage. But, the casing went through my beer can and into my LEG.
We put them under empty 5 gallon buckets to see how far they’d launch. It was actually pretty impressive.
No mud balls though, never saw or heard of that.
Slinkys work much better than butter knives.
That is soooo true. Dick (4 years) and I (8 years) were in his basement when he put one dart into a wall outlet. Nothing happened so he put a second one into the wall outlet. When nothing happened again, he placed a third across the first two. The spark must have been half a foot long and he blew out every circuit in the house. I don’t remember anything after that, but I was enough older that I should have known better and probably got in trouble too.
Ding ding ding we have a winner!
EricT was the first after 50 some odd responses to opine that the bullet went no-where!
It was the brass casing that probably flew somewhere.
Keep the goober away from electric outlets, as has already been advised........
What the hell kind of tenants were in those rental houses?
How stupid, why didn’t he just throw it away?
Love that pic. But it was made as a joke by someone wearing an ATF hat.
No, it just has to be in a CARTRIDGE (excepting muzzleloaders and cap'n ball revolvers). The CARTRIDGE will fire the BULLET if the PRIMER is struck, igniting the PROPELLANT CHARGE.
It's amazing how ignorant journalists are about firearms. They virtually NEVER get the facts right. Never!
The fun really started when we discovered that cherry bomb and m-80 fuses were water proof.
The drum became a round bottomed shell casing for a water bullet that stayed together until it fell back to earth.
Sometimes I wonder how cousins and I escaped death 50 years ago.
Did you know that a common toad can out jump a bull frog when you touch his tail with a jumper wire from an electric fence? And a cousin can jump even further when you give him a jumper wire with a break in the insulation?
When I was a kid, my dad had an anvil in the garage. I took a new roll of paper caps one day, put it on the anvil and smacked it as hard as I could with a hammer. I saw the spark, I smelt the gunpowder, but I didn’t hear a thing. I thought that was very strange. Then my mom burst into the garage and I could see her lips moving, but no words coming out. It took a few minutes for my hearing to return. She heard the roll of caps detonate from the kitchen and came running.
I hate to generalize, but if your front steps are made of aluminum, chances seem better than not that you are not a deep thinker. Ever watch COPS? It seems that the shallow end of the gene puddle congregates where the houses have wheels. Or maybe it’s just me.
If I had to divide the world into three types of people, I'd have to say:
Type I - Would never hit a bullet with a hammer.
Type II - Learns after the first time not to do it again.
Type III - Never learns.
At least this guy is not a Type III...
“When we were little...back in Stone Age...we had these long strips of red paper with dots of powder embedded in them, and when you hit them with a hammer, they made a real nice bang.
They were in strips because you fed them into toy guns...”
Yep, they were called cap pistols.
Some people can only learn certain lessons going down a very hard (and dumb) road.
Since then I've found about 5X that, and eyeball found a whole clip of .380 to boot (homey was gonna be WAY bummed when he got to the drive-by and realized he only had one in the chamber, if that...)
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”