Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Call your congressional representative, support our troops
Self ^ | 10/04/01 | Self

Posted on 10/04/2001 4:09:25 AM PDT by Ispy4u

I have written my congressman Roscoe Bartlett (R) MD 6th congressional district to ask that he and others consider hazardous duty pay and tax free income for our service members during the current operation.

This is my letter:

Sir,

I am an U.S. Army Reservist and will very likely be called up to active duty to serve during the current crisis. I, along with many others in my same situation, am going to gladly and proudly serve our country in the coming months and maybe years. The sacrifices of reservists and guardsmen are certainly clear to you and the other members of congress.

There are many stories in the news about congressional and administration plans to forward an economic stimulus package. This is a necessary action to ensure the strength of our economy and the morale of the entire country during this time.

I submit to you an idea for consideration. In light of the large number of reservists and guardsmen being called to active duty, and the need for economic stimuli to help grow our economy, consider paying all service members on active duty hazardous duty pay, since the entire country is under threat of further attack. In addition consider paying all active duty members their compensation as if they were serving in a tax free zone. These propositions would allow service members, like myself, to lower the burden placed upon them through pay differences and allow the country to show appreciation to service members in every part of the globe for their sacrifices and service.

Thank you,

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
I'm certain there are those who will flame me for suggesting "special" pays for service members ,I'm prepared for that. I'm more certain that the majority of FReepers will support this idea. If you do, contact your congressional representatives today so this will be included with the economic stimulus legislation being considered now.
1 posted on 10/04/2001 4:09:25 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Ispy4u
bump for the Army
2 posted on 10/04/2001 4:18:16 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

bump for the Navy
3 posted on 10/04/2001 4:19:03 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

bump for the Air Force
4 posted on 10/04/2001 4:19:30 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

bump for the Marine Corps
5 posted on 10/04/2001 4:19:59 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

bump for the Coast Guard
6 posted on 10/04/2001 4:20:23 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Look at these numbers.

Currently an E-5 over 12 YOS
Basic Pay------2040/mo Taxable
BAH-----------1090/mo Non Taxable
BAS-----------200/mo (est)Non Taxable
TOTAL--------3330/mo Total income
----------------39960/yr Gross w/ 24,480 Taxable income
--------------- -3672/yr Income tax 15%
--------------- -1836/yr SS Payroll tax 7.5%
--------------- -1224/yr State Income tax 5% (est)
TOTAL--------33228/yr Net
-----------------2769/mo Net

With my suggestion an E-5 over 12 YOS
Basic Pay------2040/mo
BAH-----------1090/mo
BAS-----------200/mo
HF/ID---------150/mo
TOTAL--------3480/mo Total income
----------------41760/yr Gross

That's not near what I make now, but it's a lot closer than the current state of affairs. I'm certain there are thousands of reservists just like me.

7 posted on 10/04/2001 5:30:04 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I also called my congressmans office just now and left a message for him concerning the same issues listed here.

This is important to many, many service personnel. Don't let them down.

Call, email, snailmail.

8 posted on 10/04/2001 5:53:31 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Service members bump.
9 posted on 10/04/2001 6:17:58 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Bump for the Pentagon
10 posted on 10/04/2001 7:03:22 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Last bump
11 posted on 10/04/2001 8:13:14 AM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I'm certain there are those who will flame me for suggesting "special" pays for service members ,I'm prepared for that.

While I support a review of what constitutes "hazardous duty", I doubt that it merits across the board application to anybody in the service.

I am strongly opposed to the tax-free exemption, especially since I believe it will be ineffective as an economic stimulus. Our nation's trade policies negate any potential benefit due to the 'trickle down' effect. The money would only quickly dissipate from our economy as continung Trade Deficits.

12 posted on 10/04/2001 11:19:56 AM PDT by Willie Green

To: Willie Green
I must disagree.

The money given on the tax free status may not trickle down because most soldiers would only benefit around $150/mo. Although in cases such as mine it would be counteractive to the negative effect of my lower income.

The income tallys I posted earlier show what a difference the tax free can make between an E-5 now and after. It does not show that even with the additional income provided by the tax free status, my Net income is still lowered by more than $1000/mo. As it stands now my income will be hit for more than $2000/mo if I get called to active service. Multiply that by 50,000 or more and watch the economic effect.

13 posted on 10/04/2001 1:39:18 PM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Multiply that by 50,000 or more and watch the economic effect.

I guess it depends on whose economy you're trying to stimulate.

Perhaps Vietnam's? Vietnam Lauds Passage of Trade Pact

Or maybe China and Iraq's?

Corning to Close 3 Plants, Cut 1000 Jobs
Corning to Eliminate 1,000 Jobs
Corning May Cut 4,000 More Jobs
Corning (1/4 Billion) Invests In China (Closes US HiTech Plant, Sell-Out Of USA To Enemy Continues)
Iraq's Fiber Optic Missile C3I Network Back In Place - If Not Red China/Huawei,
China Still Aids Iraqi Missiles
US shift clears Iraq to buy French [and China] phone equipment

14 posted on 10/04/2001 1:43:33 PM PDT by Willie Green
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Willie Green
While I support a review of what constitutes "hazardous duty", I doubt that it merits across the board application to anybody in the service

I also must take issue with this statement. In any other war ever fought the Pentagon has never been considered a combat zone. After 9/11 it is obvious that for at least one day it was.

All military installations are possible terrorist targets and since blood has been drawn on our soil, it should constitute the Continental United States (CONUS) as a combat zone still occupied by threat forces.

15 posted on 10/04/2001 1:44:48 PM PDT by Ispy4u
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Thanks ,our military deserves so much more pay than they get.
16 posted on 10/06/2001 5:28:55 AM PDT by karebare

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson