Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Dangerous Times in NYC - A Personal Experience
Vanity

Posted on 11/06/2001 10:29:07 AM PST by Fujiwara

So I'm going home last night on the NYC subway (#1 Train Uptown Broadway Local) when a large (280-300 lbs)agitated, African American man boards the train. The man is wearing a Palestianian head-dress (picture Arafat's typical head piece).

He begins loudly talking to himself aboout how he is going "to have to kill some one". Frightened passengers begin to move away - suddenly he launches an unprovoked barrage of punches against a seated passenger.

Several other passengers momentarily subdue the bad guy - train pulls into the station - bad guy attempts to non-chalantly leave the the train and the station.

So I follow him while talking to 911 on my cell phone. Police arrive quickly, bad guy resists, ends up with a face full of pepper spray - but is subdued quickly and efficiently by NY's Finest.

So the police begin to empty this guys pockets on the street. They find: a copy of the Koran, a book called "Wives of the Prophet", prayer beads, etc. Then they check his waistband where they find A LOADED 9 MILLIMETER HANDGUN, with one in the pipe, gun has no safety.

Later I learn the guy has adopted a musilim AKA, was talking repeatedly about going to Afghanistan to kill people, better yet - he is a convicted murderer so he can be taken at his word.

So what's the point? Do I think this guy is a member of al queda ? No, not even they would want an idiot like this. Do I think he went out last night looking to kill someone for no reason other than craziness and religious zealotry? YES, I do - I saw that in his eyes and his behaviour.

Worse still, I think there are many, many more like him. If I had any doubts that the enemy is among us those doubts are now long gone. Yours should be too.

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-100 next last

1 posted on 11/06/2001 10:29:08 AM PST by Fujiwara
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Fujiwara
Thanks for sharing, glad that you are OK.
2 posted on 11/06/2001 10:31:29 AM PST by Rodney King
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Sounds like his mind went over the edge. Glad there were no serious injuries.
3 posted on 11/06/2001 10:31:32 AM PST by Fred Mertz

Alert Carolyn McCarthy. Obviously more gun laws are necessary. < /sarcasm >
4 posted on 11/06/2001 10:31:53 AM PST by denydenydeny

This man ment no harm. Islam is a peaceful religion. The President told us so.
5 posted on 11/06/2001 10:34:14 AM PST by aomagrat

Too bad it is next to impossible for NYC citizens to legally carry a firearm for self protection.
6 posted on 11/06/2001 10:34:28 AM PST by 2banana

Hey, I thought John Rocker convinced everyone that you can't talk bad about the people on the NYC subway.
7 posted on 11/06/2001 10:34:36 AM PST by Dog Gone

Reminds me of the crazies who have been attacking bus drivers.
8 posted on 11/06/2001 10:35:06 AM PST by scan59

Shame on you! Self-defense is never an answer to violence! And I'll bet you violated this poor man's civil rights, too!

-- John Rosenthal, President, Handgun Control, Inc.

9 posted on 11/06/2001 10:35:07 AM PST by pabianice

suddenly he launches an unprovoked barrage of punches against a seated passenger...
Several other passengers momentarily subdue the bad guy - train pulls into the station - bad guy attempts to non-chalantly leave the the train and the station.

This is the difference between PRE and POST 9/11. My guess is that before, most other strap hangers would NOT have entered the fracas, preferring to 'not get involved'. Now they undersatnd that all of them could be targets, so they are acting in self-defense even if the original attack is not aimed at them! This is really good news!

10 posted on 11/06/2001 10:36:27 AM PST by SuziQ

To: denydenydeny
A LOADED 9 MILLIMETER HANDGUN, with one in the pipe, gun has no safety.

Are you sure this was NYC? I thought guns were illegal. Too bad Bernie Goetz wasn't on that train--he could have saved the prison bureau a lot of money.
11 posted on 11/06/2001 10:36:32 AM PST by ConservativeNJdad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I would suggest it is time for NYC residents to demand the right to defend themselves.

Stay well - Stay safe - Stay armed - Yorktown

12 posted on 11/06/2001 10:36:52 AM PST by harpseal

Thank you for having the courage to see that this guy was arrested. It must have been a very scary experience for you, seeing as how you aren't allowed to carry your own weapon for self-protection.
13 posted on 11/06/2001 10:37:34 AM PST by basil

This is the way it "used to be".

Prepare yourself for post-Giuliani New York City

14 posted on 11/06/2001 10:38:02 AM PST by Incorrigible

I used to live on the Upper West Side; my son goes to school there now. Thanks for doing your civic duty and not letting this fiend "get away with it." Other West Siders owe you a debt of gratitude.
15 posted on 11/06/2001 10:38:08 AM PST by Map Kernow

To: pabianice
Geesh...I guess after waiting for 6 months to get his handgun permit from NYS he was a bit peeved. Another example of how the federal and especially NYS gun laws DO NOT protect people.
16 posted on 11/06/2001 10:38:32 AM PST by BobWNY
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: SuziQ
Good point. Was also gratified that many people stayed around to give contact info to the police, offered to be witnesses,etc.
17 posted on 11/06/2001 10:40:04 AM PST by Fujiwara
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

Sounds like this man needs some .223 therapy! In mass doses!

19 posted on 11/06/2001 10:44:06 AM PST by Colt .45

Buy a really big gun and practice, practice, practice...
20 posted on 11/06/2001 10:46:04 AM PST by Jethro Tull
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-100 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson