Skip to comments.
There is no truth in the news and no news in the truth.
Planck's Constant Blog ^
| September 28, 2007
| Bernie (the other one)
Posted on 02/17/2018 7:43:39 AM PST by Voption
My father told me that one of the running jokes throughout most of the Soviet dominion over Russia was this assessment of the two newspapers by the non-Communist citizenry: "There is no Pravda in Izvestia, and there is no Izvestia in Pravda" or in English "There is no truth in News, and there is no news in Truth." But this was said carefully and to people who would not report you to the Central Committee."
(Excerpt) Read more at plancksconstant.org ...
TOPICS: Government; History; Politics
KEYWORDS: fakemedia; izvestia; lies; pravda
What can I add? There is no truth in the news and no news in the truth. (Welcome to Ameritopia.)
posted on 02/17/2018 7:43:40 AM PST
Today what are called “news outlets” are simply weapons used by each side of the political spectrum to intellectually clobber the other with in order to advance their agenda and promote their respective world views. In other words it’s all propaganda.
People on both sides will gravitate to and believe the outlets that serve their interest best.
It doesn’t mean that truth and facts have disappeared, it just means you it’s unlikely you will find them in the “news”.
posted on 02/17/2018 8:00:34 AM PST
Today what are called news outlets are simply weapons used by the democrats/communists to intellectually clobber Americans with in order to advance their agenda of communism/socialism and promote their evil world view of marxism/communism/socialism. In other words its all propaganda to advance socialism.
posted on 02/17/2018 8:16:15 AM PST
(The Federal reserve r leftists raising rates to hurt Trump.Fed kept rates at 0 for all of obama yrs)
Its interesting what you can learn from the experiences of other peoples and countries, and how they may apply to us.
posted on 02/17/2018 8:22:31 AM PST
To: aquila48; rurgan
Today what are called news outlets are simply weapons used by each side of the political spectrum to intellectually clobber the other with in order to advance their agenda and promote their respective world views. In other words its all propaganda.
A nice formulation of the pox on both sides formulation. There is however a different take which I support:
- Journalism is homogeneous because of the wire services in general, and the AP in particular. The wire services constitute a continuous virtual meeting of all major news outlets, and the result is what Adam Smith would have predicted. From Wealth of Nations (1776):
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. It is impossible indeed to prevent such meetings, by any law which either could be executed, or would be consistent with liberty and justice. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies; much less to render them necessary. -
- The way journalism is homogenized - the conspiracy against the public - is determined by the commercial interests common to all journalists their need (and desire) to attract attention:
- If it bleeds, it leads
- Man Bites Dog, not Dog Bites Man
- Always make your deadline, and
- Never denigrate the objectivity of a fellow journalist.
- Those rules make journalism negative and superficial about society, and also superficial about themselves.
- Since journalists claim objectivity while knowing that they are negative, journalists are cynical about society.
- Since any criticism of society provides a rationale for a there oughta be a law response (see, gun control), cynicism towards society corresponds to faith in, even naiveté towards, government.
- Cynicism towards society and naiveté towards government are the defining characteristics of socialism.
- The Democrat Party simply sails downwind of the pro-socialist tendency inherent in journalism. Republicans, flawed vessels that they are, are the publics only defense against socialist propaganda. Fox News - claiming to be fair and balanced yet defines itself as a news organization, and is flawed in that respect.
The ancient Greeks developed a formulation to describe this situation.
- 1542, earlier sophister (c.1380), from L. sophista, sophistes, from Gk. sophistes, from sophizesthai "to become wise or learned," from sophos "wise, clever," of unknown origin. Gk. sophistes came to mean "one who gives intellectual instruction for pay," and, contrasted with "philosopher," it became a term of contempt. Ancient sophists were famous for their clever, specious arguments.
- O.E. philosophe, from L. philosophus, from Gk. philosophos "philosopher," lit. "lover of wisdom," from philos "loving" + sophos "wise, a sage."
"Pythagoras was the first who called himself philosophos, instead of sophos, 'wise man,' since this latter term was suggestive of immodesty." [Klein]
Journalists and Democrat politicians correspond to Sophists of old. The only effective defense against sophistry is to be a philosopher in the original sense defined above f(rom an etymological dictionary). And the only prominent exponents of philosophy in that sense are talk radio hosts. Talk radio hosts are defined by:
- their open espousal of a point of view. They dont claim to be objective, or anything of the sort.
- their willingness to listen as well as talk - their credibility depends on their taking on opposing points of view.
- their rejection of ad hominem and other illegitimate argumentation.
posted on 02/17/2018 12:53:47 PM PST
(Presses can be 'associated,' or presses can be independent. Demand independent presses.)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson