Skip to comments.Liberal Writers Say Democrats Should 'Give Up' On Trying to Win Over White Republicans
Posted on 05/16/2018 9:13:44 AM PDT by ethom
Democrats should stop trying to win over white Republican voters, according to several prominent liberal writers.
That was the point of a column Washington Post writer Paul Waldman wrote on Tuesday, which liberal journalists approvingly circulated on social media, adding their agreement.
Waldman blamed Fox News and conservative media for the fact blue-collar Trump voters dont vote Democrat.
In the endless search for the magic key that Democrats can use to unlock the hearts of white people who vote Republican, the hot new candidate is respect,' Waldman snarked. If only they cast off their snooty liberal elitism and show respect to people who voted for [President] Donald Trump, Democrats can win them over and take back Congress and the White House.
The problem isnt Democrats, according to Waldman its that Trump voters are too uninformed to vote for Democrats.
The right has a gigantic media apparatus that is devoted to convincing people that liberals disrespect them, plus a political party whose leaders all understand that that idea is key to their political project and so join in the chorus at every opportunity, he argued.
Waldman advised Democrats to keep in mind that white Republicans are not going to vote for you anyway, and their votes are no more valuable or virtuous than the votes of any other American.
The Republican base seems too dumb to realize that even with Donald Trump rampaging through the White House, the establishment is doing just fine, if you define it as the economic elite that so skillfully works the system in Washington no matter how dysfunctional things get, he argued in an April 18 column. In fact, the establishment has never had it better.
Waldmans latest column dismissing Trump voters was a hit among liberal writers and pundits on social media.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailycaller.com ...
Actually it wasn’t Hillary... Democrats wrote off Coal back in the Clinton years....
Gore lost in 2000 because he lost WV... not because he lost FL....
2000 was the warning sign to dems that they were losing the working class white voter... but they ignored it.... and in 2008 and 2012 high minority turnouts made them further double down on the notion they didn’t need them.....
They were utterly wrong.
Now after nearly 30 years of purging the party of ANYONE at the national level who understands and relates to the working class voter, they have no chance to win them back, because they spent 20 years blaming them for every wrong in the world in order to pander to other groups for their vote.
2016 should not have been a surprise to ANYONE....
Didn’t Gore also lose Tennessee in 2000?
So they will replicate the Obama strategy of ignoring white blue-collar voters and going with a coalition of minorities, snooty elitists and Feminist whackos.
Worked for them twice.
He lost WV, KY,LA, AK, MO and TN that Clinton took in 96... The point being though, WV was as solid blue as you could get since the Reagan landslides... the others were not.
But the point being he only had to hold WV and he wins in 2000... even if he lost FL.... The fact a state that, with the exception of the Reagan landslides, had been reliably blue for more than a generation should have made the D’s realize they were marching leftward toward their doom.... but they chose to ignore it.
I don't know if they are right wing plants, but they are doing a good job of convincing white people that liberals disrespect them...
“Waldman advised Democrats to keep in mind that white Republicans are not going to vote for you anyway, and their votes are no more valuable or virtuous than the votes of any other American.
Ohhhh....they only seek virtuous votes. I didn’t know that - after all their years of voter fraud and race baiting minority communities...it’s VIRTUE they are after.
If whites are so bad and evil and stupid, then why does the entire freaking world want to move here?
White Republicans? How about Black, Red, Yellow, Brown, Republicans....?
Look genius, it isn’t that democrats can’t win us over, the fact of the matter is your ideas are not traditional American values that we love and hold dear — For instance:
2) Family (Mom & Dad)
3) Babies (even the unborn)
4) Military — We love the military and probably know someone serving or have served — We honor their service
5) Second Amendment — We value the fact that our founding fathers in their wisdom saw that this was as important as the 1st Amendment
6) Law enforcement — We love the police — Do bad things sometimes happen, yes, but we don’t burn our city down because of it
7) Freedom — We love the flag and we love the Star Spangled Banner
8) We don’t hate Gays, but you tell us every opportunity you get that we do — We aren’t going to sign up to be on their team, but we don’t hate them
9) We love the environment too — We will not submit to the group think that we are ruining it and flog ourselves
10) We are dreamers too — We just want our laws on immigration respected — At some point when every country that dumps their uneducated and unskilled on us we are just supposed to scoop them up — No
11) We don’t love paying taxes — We pay them, but we don’t love paying them — So when a candidate comes along and makes life better for us by letting us keep more or OUR money, we listen
So, what part of our platform fits in with your platform — Rhetorical question, NOTHING.
1) Democrats hate God
2) Prefer Gay marriage to traditional marriage
3) Support and defend infanticide at all costs
4) Mock and ridicule the military and use it as an ATM machine to fund welfare and illegals
5) Hate the Second Amendment
6) Hate the police
7) Believe in the freedom that government grants its subjects....
8) Gays — You ignore all the science and facts from the CDC (Infectious Diseases) that tells you exactly what that behavior leads to — But, its a voting block so you pander to it and encourage the behavior
9) Call everyone that doesn’t believe as you believe anti-science if we don’t bend our knees at the altar of flawed environmental science we are dumb and stupid and not evolved
10) Fully support illegal immigration because you only see uneducated voters standing in line waiting for a “free” government hand out — A hand out democrats are all too willing to give, of OUR money
11) See #10, you love our tax money and can’t get enough of it to pay off special interest groups with our money
They have been trying to win our hearts and minds? Who knew?
So their “I’m smarter than you, I know what is best for you so sit down, shut up” attitude was them being nice to us? Their constant insults, attacks on our deepest beliefs and our way of life, that was all meant to make us want to join them?
Their leading, encouraging, and financially facilitating protests that led to violence and physical attacks against conservatives- that was part of their plan to win us over?
The constant media lies from Democrat talking points undermining our leadership, accusing us of being stupid voters was them trying to get us to think more like them?
Even The Atlantic thought that Debbie Downer bringing Obamacare to the T-Day table was a little much.
I can’t find a comments section. By design?
I have absolutely no respect for any person who cast their vote for that criminal bitch Hillary Clinton. She is the most corrupt and unfit person to ever run for President. The men who voted for her should be ashamed of themselves. They are ridiculous.
They never have tried to “win over” normal people. They just want to take all their money.
We really love you, Paul Waldman, it’s just that we are shy.
They, the majority of journalists, have such conceit that it never occurs to them that they are irrelevant.
Nothing they say will “break through” common sense.
Yes, but they thought that Obama had cracked the code that would allow them to win elections without working class white people. They were almost right . . .
No kidding! Maybe I was playing hooky that day? Honestly - has there ever even been a single day when the left has tried sincere outreach to the right?
I don’t think so...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.