Skip to comments.50 Things a Man Should Be Able To Do
Posted on 07/28/2010 5:41:48 PM PDT by Kimmers
50 Things a Man Should Be Able To Do Friday, July 23, 2010, 8:00 AM Joe Carter
[Note: Every Friday on First Thoughts we host a discussion about some aspect of pop culture. Todays theme is "Renaissance Man" lists. Have a suggestion for a topic? Send them to me at email@example.com.]
Every man does not need to know how to tie a bow tie. Lets get that clear up front. I dont know why it is on every Things a Man Should Know How to Do list but its simply not true. If you have a reason to wear a bow tie (e.g., youre going to prom, your name is George Will) then you can ask someone or you can look it up. Thats what Google and preppie college Republican exist.
But there are some things that every man should be able to do. Here are fifty. Not necessarily the fifty most important (though some are), just fifty things a man should be able to do if he wants to live a good life.
1. Forgive your parents They did the best they could . . . or they didnt. Either way, youre a man now so its time to move on.
2. Ask your parents to forgive youYou know what you did. They do too.
3. Change a diaper so that the baby is cleaner and you are no dirtier than when you started.
4. Perform CPR and the Heimlich maneuver.
5. Use a soldering iron to fix a loose connection.
6. Comfort a childIf you want to judge the character of a man, observe how he treats a child. He may not have any himselfhe may not even like kidsbut if he can provide them comfort when they are scared or hurting then he cant be all bad.
7. Cook one signature dish.
8. Calculate square footageWidth x length.
9. Innocently flirt with a woman at least twice your ageWithout causing offense or being disrespectful, of course.
10. Write three coherent, connected, and grammatically correct paragraphsIf its really necessary, you should be able to repeat the process well enough to add three more. Unless you have a job that requires extensive writing, thats probably all youll ever need to get by.
11. Navigate your way around an unfamiliar city without getting completely and utterly lost.
12. Differentiate between various types of mortgages and insurances and know which one is best for your situation.
13. Get a prostate exam without crying.
14. Know what a prostate is.
15. Make and follow a budget so that you can get out ofand stay out ofdebt.
16. Tell a spellbinding (though not necessarily true) story.
17. Survive in water for at least a few minutes without drowning 71 percent of the earths surface is covered by water. Youre bound to fall into it sometime.
18. Know the four lifesaving stepsstop the bleeding, start the breathing, protect the wound, treat for shock.
19. Give a great complimentTip: Be specific, be sincere.
20. Tell a joke that is (a) clean, and (b) funny.
21. Make a brief, informative speech in public without having an anxiety attack and/or using PowerPoint.
22. Type with more than two fingers.
23. Know how to use the mass transit system in any city within 100 miles of his home.
24. Use reference materials to find out any information that youll ever need to know.
25. Recite the Ten Commandments from memoryIf you remember them, its easier to follow them; if you follow them youll avoid about 90 percent of the self-inflicted damage that will screw up your life.
26. Carry on a conversation with someone who bores you to tears.
27. Recognize when you are boring someone to tears with your inane banter.
28. Make a plan for the first 24 hours after a zombie apocalypseSounds silly but youd be surprised how much you can learn about yourself by thinking through unlikely scenarios.
29. Perfectly cook scrambled eggs.
30. Push-start a car with a manual transmissionBy the way, as I learned in the summer of 1988, you cant push start a car with an automatic transmission. (I still dont know why I was stomping on the brake as if it were a clutch.)
31. Tell the difference between snark and wit.
32. Properly maintain your basic form of transportation, whether it be a car, bike, horse, feet, etc.
33. Grow foodeven if you never owned a vegetable garden, you need to understand the basic theory of how to grow food. When the zombie apocalypse happens, youre going to be hungry.
34. Make it through the rest of your life without saying the thirty-seventh dumbest sentence in the English language: I have to learn for myself.
35. Endure an insult with grace.
36. Wash a load of white clothes without turning everything pink.
37. Load, shoot, and clean a firearm.
38. Admit being wrong in a situation that will cost you dearly.
39. Physically protect your loved ones and be willing to risk life and limb if necessary to keep them safe.
40. Lead your family in prayer.
41. Cogently explain and defend your most fundamental beliefs, preferably without raising your voice.
42. Hug another man.
43. Take harsh criticism without being defensive.
44. Differentiate between love and lustand avoid the latter.
45. Recognize wisdom and know how to get it.
46. Help someone who is vomiting (without throwing up yourself).
47. Write a letter of recommendation.
48. Write a love letter.
49. Avoid the Three As That Ruin Your Life: Anger, Adultery, Apathy.
50. Be able to list at least 50 more things a man should be able to do.
CPR is best performed at the beach. People who are stretched out on the sand and are very still tend to jump right up after the first few tries. Amazing!
The Heimlich maneuver can be performed in any restaurant but be prepared for some angry diners unless they are actually choking since all of them tend to spit up up their food if squeezed hard enough.
Pedophile! You said you were 12.
How important are many of these skills outside the urban enviroment.
This list should be labeled;
Yes, I figured if I called my FRiends, they would man it up a bit, especially Salamander and Allegra.
after all this, you may get an opportunity to get a spot in a Progressive Insurance commercial with Flo...
My birthday is February 29 so I only have a birthday every 4 years.
#51 Know how to use jumper cables
The eyebrows, the hair, the moustache! That’s me! I do have a nicer fur coat though.
NOT!!!!!!! unless he's choking...this list was written by a women!
Not even your dad or elderly uncle? Sure ya would! :)
None of the above are alive, and I never hugged either. Men shake hands....
Show me your birth certificate.
No “list” necessary.
Sal “Hot For Herger” Amander
Same director who did Die Hard, huh?
You really think I bothered to read the credits?.....:))
I know how to back up a computer. Is this like that?
Love that movie. The way Banderas’s character learned Norse particularly sticks in my mind, but the whole thing was great.
Banderas was in that movie?
I reckon I didn’t notice him.
Innocently flirt with a woman at least twice your ageWithout causing offense or being disrespectful, of course.
.....unless I visit a cemetery.
Oh my, you poor, sad fool.
Note that I'm not criticizing people who don't have kids, especially if they don't like kids. But father hood a prison? That's a laugh. I have four kids, the oldest is 15 and being a dad is the best job going.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.