Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

New Antibiotic Beats Superbugs At Their Own Game
ScienceDaily ^ | July 7, 2008

Posted on 07/07/2008 6:41:21 AM PDT by Soliton

Never before has an antibiotic been tested this way. "In the history of antibiotic development, an antibiotic arrives on the scene, and sooner or later resistant bacteria emerge," Tomasz says. "We sought to test in advance which would win this particular chess game: the new drug, or the bacteria that now cause human deaths."

Ceftobiprole won. "It just knocked out the cells 100 percent,"

(Excerpt) Read more at sciencedaily.com ...

TOPICS: Health/Medicine; Science
KEYWORDS: health; healthcare
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last
Everybody say "thank you scientists for using science to make our lives better!".
1 posted on 07/07/2008 6:41:21 AM PDT by Soliton
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Soliton

Well now let’s force the pharmaceutical companies to sell it for a nickel a dose because they make “obscene profits” and “we have a right to health care” < /sarcasm> Sarcasm tag needed for the Obama supporters and those who pray for Teddy Kennedy on this forum.

2 posted on 07/07/2008 6:47:33 AM PDT by from occupied ga (Your most dangerous enemy is your own government,)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Ohhhh but what about the poooor liddle bacterias?!? Don’t they have a right to exist in our eco-structure without being murdered by the genocidal scientists who think it’s ok to just wipe out bacteria without even ASKING them how they feel about it?

[ok, quit channeling enviromental-wacko-mystical-bug-hugging activist]

3 posted on 07/07/2008 6:48:24 AM PDT by mkjessup

I’ve had MRSA, it sent me to the ER.

THANK YOU SCIENTISTS!!!!!

4 posted on 07/07/2008 6:58:05 AM PDT by Rammer

To: from occupied ga

Saying a little prayer for the comfort of a dying man, whom you disagree with politically doesn’t make you a liberal. That you can’t seperate his policy from him just being a dying man makes me a little sad for you. I suppose you’ll be celebrating his death like libs did when Reagan died. Cheers to you.

5 posted on 07/07/2008 6:58:06 AM PDT by samson1097
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I don’t understand how scientists can be so smart about things like this and so stupid about evolution and global warming. It’s a bit of a mystery.

6 posted on 07/07/2008 7:00:33 AM PDT by vanishing liberty

Now, if doctors will just refrain from ever, ever prescribing any antibiotic, let alone this one that is effective against MRSA and the like, to willfully ignorant patients who insist upon an antibiotic for a virus, we’ll be getting somewhere. Additionally, doctors need to ensure that any correctly prescribed course of antibiotics is completed by following up and checking to see if the bacterial infection is indeed cleared up, rather than leaving bacteria that could form resistance to that particular antibiotic and possibly spread.

7 posted on 07/07/2008 7:03:52 AM PDT by RegulatorCountry

To: mkjessup

Bacteria have every bit as much right as us to live. Who are we to judge their culture?

8 posted on 07/07/2008 7:04:08 AM PDT by chickpundit (I will abide under the shadow of the Almighty.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: samson1097
That you can’t seperate his policy from him just being a dying man makes me a little sad for you.

Saying a little prayer for the comfort of a dying man

His policies aside, for his personal life that man will need all the prayers he can get and the best Gilli suit that money can buy to sneak through the Pearly Gates.

9 posted on 07/07/2008 7:09:47 AM PDT by Pontiac (Your message here.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: chickpundit
Bacteria have every bit as much right as us to live. Who are we to judge their culture?

Right on! Until we have lived in their petrie dishes, we are in no position to judge them!
10 posted on 07/07/2008 7:14:28 AM PDT by mkjessup
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: chickpundit; mikrofon; Charles Henrickson
Who are we to judge their culture?

That logic is ... strained.

11 posted on 07/07/2008 7:18:16 AM PDT by martin_fierro (A fungi to be with)

I would nominate this article as the most significant story of the current century.

12 posted on 07/07/2008 7:19:33 AM PDT by DManA

Bacterium is cute.

13 posted on 07/07/2008 7:19:34 AM PDT by martin_fierro (< |:)~)

Oh no good buddy I agree with you. I look at my enemies who have made it their life work to strip me of the freedoms that once made this country great and to tax me into poverty to support their liberal causes and say, "gosh, I hope they have a long and productive life at my expense so that they can keep voting for more taxes and more government control."

I really hope that people like Kennedy who would deny me my ability to use my life savings (those savings that they haven't already plundered to pay for other peoples' children, health care, housing, etc.) to purchase health care in my old age get the absolute best of everything at my expense. Like you, I say a little prayer just hoping that he will continue to destroy my freedom and confiscate my hard earned wealth. I say this because like you I think that once a person gets sick, then an entire lifetime of evil doing is immediately washed away and his illnes transforms him into a paragon to be treasured or at least given the absolute best of health care at again my expense.

And then I'll sanctimoniously lecture anyone who sees Kennedy as an amoral evil libertine who is one of the principal drivers behind the destruction of freedom and the rise of statism in America reminding them that he is (probably) dying and now he should be pitied and how sad it is for them not to see him as a wonderful human being.

14 posted on 07/07/2008 7:24:14 AM PDT by from occupied ga (Your most dangerous enemy is your own government,)

To: chickpundit

Live and let divide, I say.

15 posted on 07/07/2008 7:24:42 AM PDT by TADSLOS (The GOP death march to the gravesite is underway.)

To: Rammer

Me too. this is great news

16 posted on 07/07/2008 7:32:03 AM PDT by usmcobra (I sing Karaoke the way it was meant to be sung, drunk, badly and in Japanese)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Watch your mouth! Ronald Reagan never profiteered off the deaths of Americans, Ted Kennedy did: in Vietnam, Lebanon, Libya, terrorist attacks and abortion. Ted Kennedy was instrumental in supporting the death and murder of more than 50 million people, many of them Americans.

You have a sick sense of humanity to have a kindred soul with such a kind person and you comparison of Kennedy with Reagan is absolutely outrageous! Did you say your prayers for Pol Pot too?

17 posted on 07/07/2008 7:33:52 AM PDT by Justa (The media lied while Americans died.)

To: martin_fierro; Soliton; Charles Henrickson

Now if they could only find an effective agent against the fast-spreading RINOvirus....

18 posted on 07/07/2008 7:33:59 AM PDT by mikrofon (Remember Spirochete Agnew?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

What they need to do is come up with a Virus-cide that works.. So far bupkis..

19 posted on 07/07/2008 7:35:06 AM PDT by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole....)

To: vanishing liberty
I don’t understand how scientists can be so smart about things like this and so stupid about evolution and global warming. It’s a bit of a mystery. Because The scientists working for the drug companies are working for free enterprise. The Global Warming group are working for government grants.
20 posted on 07/07/2008 7:43:02 AM PDT by johnny reb
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: DManA

Seconded. I would rank finding cures for viruses, a working quantum computer, instantaneous information transfer, and oh, say FTL travel (wishful thinking) to upset this title in the future.

21 posted on 07/07/2008 7:45:57 AM PDT by EarthBound (Ex Deo,gratia. Ex astris,scientia (Who the hell do I vote for now?))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: RegulatorCountry

Bacteria will eventually beat this one also, if medical practice doesn’t change. Not to mention the mischief that will be caused by wiping out all the gut flora.

Interesting times ahead.

22 posted on 07/07/2008 7:47:40 AM PDT by js1138
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: mikrofon
Now if they could only find an effective agent against the fast-spreading RINOvirus

They have.

23 posted on 07/07/2008 7:52:29 AM PDT by from occupied ga (Your most dangerous enemy is your own government,)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: hosepipe

The problem is that a virus isn't really "alive" to kill, it's just bits of DNA that "reprogram" living cells to reproduce itself. So, we're stuck with trying to block them from entering cells, or trying to block replication once they're in cells.

24 posted on 07/07/2008 7:54:43 AM PDT by RegulatorCountry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Ohhhh but what about the poooor liddle bacterias?!? Don’t they have a right to exist in our eco-structure without being murdered by the genocidal scientists who think it’s ok to just wipe out bacteria without even ASKING them how they feel about it?

Sounds like something PETA would put out, doesn't it.

25 posted on 07/07/2008 7:54:50 AM PDT by scooter2 (The greatest threat to the security of the United States is the Democratic Party.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: js1138
Not to mention the mischief that will be caused by wiping out all the gut flora.

I've tried to avoid taking antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, because of this. I've had to eat live culture yogurt for weeks before, to get over the effects.

26 posted on 07/07/2008 7:57:00 AM PDT by RegulatorCountry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

I just recovered from eight months of the runs after a dose of antibiotics. This is tricky stuff. There are apparently ways to repopulate your gut, but they aren’t considerd unless you are nearly dead.

If Super-antibiotics become common, we’ll need to rethink all this.

27 posted on 07/07/2008 8:00:20 AM PDT by js1138
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: martin_fierro

I’ll take a Gram of whatever you are having.

28 posted on 07/07/2008 8:11:33 AM PDT by aft_lizard (One animal actually its eats its own brains to conserve energy, we call them liberals.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Bacteria will eventually beat this one also - not if it kill 100%

Not to mention the mischief that will be caused by wiping out all the gut flora.

Yea, I wonder exactly how broad this broad-spectrum antibiotic really is? Too broad, not too practical.

29 posted on 07/07/2008 8:11:59 AM PDT by DManA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: scooter2
Sounds like something PETA would put out, doesn't it.

Even as we speak, PETA is coordinating with BLF (Bacteria Liberation Front) strike teams who will be liberating the oppressed germs from their petrie dishes in that horrible torture center run by depraved scientists who care not one whit for the many bacterial families who will grieve the loss of their loved ones.
30 posted on 07/07/2008 8:12:50 AM PDT by mkjessup
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

not if it kill 100%

Maybe it does this in the lab, but I doubt it will hit this in the field.

31 posted on 07/07/2008 8:14:33 AM PDT by js1138
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

That’s absolutely funny. Thanks for the morning chuckle.

32 posted on 07/07/2008 8:15:00 AM PDT by scooter2 (The greatest threat to the security of the United States is the Democratic Party.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: usmcobra

So how did MRSA treat you?

I do a lot of grappling (Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and submission wrestling) and picked it up off the mats.

I had a little pimple thing next to my knee that was nothing. A week later my entire leg was swollen and red and an ER doc was cutting a hole in my leg to drain it running an IV of antibiotics. It was not a fun experience at all.

33 posted on 07/07/2008 8:18:36 AM PDT by Rammer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: Justa; samson1097
You have a sick sense of humanity to have a kindred soul with such a kind person and you comparison of Kennedy with Reagan is absolutely outrageous! Did you say your prayers for Pol Pot too?

As Christians we have been instructed by no less than Jesus Christ Himself that we should pray for those who persecute us, for those who do evil, for our enemies and adversaries, that all might obtain Salvation and Eternal Life.
34 posted on 07/07/2008 8:19:43 AM PDT by mkjessup
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: scooter2
That’s absolutely funny. Thanks for the morning chuckle.

My pleasure FRiend! I'll be here all week, try the veal! :))
35 posted on 07/07/2008 8:23:10 AM PDT by mkjessup
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

[ So, we're stuck with trying to block them from entering cells, or trying to block replication once they're in cells. ]

I don't believe "its hopeless" is a good tactic.. Since nothing has been found to combat them.. thats what it seems your saying.. How do PLANTS deal with viruses?.. Surely SOME plant has outwitted them?..

36 posted on 07/07/2008 8:32:20 AM PDT by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

I’m not saying that it’s hopeless. I’m just noting the particular challenge that creating an effective antiviral faces. It’s difficult to “kill” something that is not alive in any classical sense, until it coopts a cell in order to reproduce.

37 posted on 07/07/2008 8:40:16 AM PDT by RegulatorCountry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

Mine was similar only someone that shouldn't have been in my work area used my stuff to wipe down his open sores.

I thought I had gangrene, and had never heard of MRSA. I suppose that if I had waited any longer I would have ended up in a hospital.

38 posted on 07/07/2008 8:42:12 AM PDT by usmcobra (I sing Karaoke the way it was meant to be sung, drunk, badly and in Japanese)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: from occupied ga; samson1097

A Blessing For Ted Kennedy:

May God bless and keep the Senator... far away from us!

39 posted on 07/07/2008 8:57:11 AM PDT by Jeff Chandler (Tagline Removed by Moderator)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

It’s a cephalosporin and the bacteria will eventually get a handle on it as they have on others in its class. But for now...death to staph!

40 posted on 07/07/2008 8:59:58 AM PDT by heartwood

It is irresponsible for a doctor to prescribe an antibiotic without also prescribing a probiotic but they just won’t do it. I’ve had a couple of relatives near death because of doctors’ stupidity on this subject.

41 posted on 07/07/2008 9:07:04 AM PDT by Conservativegreatgrandma
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

Does Intravenous Vit C cure MRSA, as well as lots of other infections? It very well may. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GFRD,GFRD:2007-22,GFRD:en&q=intravenous+Vit+C%2c+MRSA

42 posted on 07/07/2008 9:09:54 AM PDT by Conservativegreatgrandma
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

I’ve had MRSA, it sent me to the ER. THANK YOU SCIENTISTS!!!!!

Amen brother!

43 posted on 07/07/2008 9:20:52 AM PDT by Soliton (Investigate, study, learn, then express an opinion)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: vanishing liberty
I don’t understand how scientists can be so smart about things like this and so stupid about evolution and global warming.

I know you don't, but that's okay. Science works. It always works. AGW and ID/creationism aren't science; they are religions. You seem like a thinking person. From now on instead of using science-based birth control, pray that pregnancy doesn't occur. Let us know how that works out for ya.

44 posted on 07/07/2008 9:26:01 AM PDT by Soliton (Investigate, study, learn, then express an opinion)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I would nominate this article as the most significant story of the current century.

I don't think everybody gets it. It is a shift in paragigm. We were on the defensive; now we are on the attack. It's pre 9/11 vs. post 9/11. Take the initiative and kill 'em where they live.

45 posted on 07/07/2008 9:29:17 AM PDT by Soliton (Investigate, study, learn, then express an opinion)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

You can't kill what isn't alive. We can destroy every virus we know, but you severely injure or kill the host. Believe in science and capitalism. They will find a way.

46 posted on 07/07/2008 9:32:30 AM PDT by Soliton (Investigate, study, learn, then express an opinion)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: heartwood
It’s a cephalosporin and the bacteria will eventually get a handle on it as they have on others in its class. But for now...death to staph!

The article isn't about the drug, but a new preemptive approach. When the bacteria evolve, we will already have the weapon ready to destroy them. Ultimately they will disapeear from the earth. Yea science!

47 posted on 07/07/2008 9:35:34 AM PDT by Soliton (Investigate, study, learn, then express an opinion)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

The plant strategy for dealing with disease is to cut off food and water to the effected area and let it die and grow around it. Not a viable strategy for an animal. That is like saying “My foot has a fungus” and the Dr. says “cut off your foot”.

48 posted on 07/07/2008 9:38:55 AM PDT by allmendream
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: RegulatorCountry; hosepipe
The problem is that a virus isn't really "alive" to kill, it's just bits of DNA that "reprogram" living cells to reproduce itself. So, we're stuck with trying to block them from entering cells, or trying to block replication once they're in cells.

I have given this quite a bit of thought.
If I understand virii correctly, they attach themselves to cells and then inject their DNA into the cells, which forces the cells to manufacture more of the virus.
If scientists could manufacture a "friendly" virus that would attach itself only to "evil" virii and inject their friendly DNA, then in theory evil virii could be wiped out.
Also, I know that virii can/will attach only to specific types of cells (or locations in the body), so it may be possible to manufacture friendly virii that seek out specific evil virii.

49 posted on 07/07/2008 10:14:49 AM PDT by Ignatz (And who DOESN'T enjoy the occasional swede??)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

Ultimately they will disappear from the earth.

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but if you aren't, I doubt it. and I doubt if it's desirable.

We are symbiotic with countless bacteria. A better approach in the long run would be to strengthen populations of harmless bacteria, ones that can keep the baddies in check.

50 posted on 07/07/2008 10:17:19 AM PDT by js1138
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson