Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Chinese workers build 15-story hotel in just six days
Yahoo! News ^ | November 12, 2010 | Brett Michael Dykes

Posted on 11/12/2010 1:01:04 PM PST by Attention Surplus Disorder

As the United States and China battle over the finer points of currency manipulation at the G-20 summit, American negotiators may want to take note of this startling testimonial to the productivity of Chinese workers: A construction crew in the south-central Chinese city of Changsha has completed a 15-story hotel in just six days. If nothing else, this remarkable achievement will stoke further complaints from American economic pundits that China's economy is far more accomplished than ours in tending to such basics as construction.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: fast
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-57 next last

1 posted on 11/12/2010 1:01:06 PM PST by Attention Surplus Disorder
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Attention Surplus Disorder

Yeah, like I’d want to stay in a 15-story hotel built that quickly. One good sneeze could bring it down.

2 posted on 11/12/2010 1:03:06 PM PST by dirtboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Amazing what you can accomplish without labor unions and environmentalists.

3 posted on 11/12/2010 1:03:13 PM PST by Question Liberal Authority (Worst. Post-Racial. And Post-Partisan. Agent Of Hope And Change. EVER.)

See! See!

See how much you can get done when you don't have union goons and city hall bureaucrats to deal with?

4 posted on 11/12/2010 1:03:36 PM PST by E. Pluribus Unum (The people who hate Sarah Palin hate her because they know that her Presidency is inevitable.)

How soon before its’laying on its’side?

5 posted on 11/12/2010 1:04:20 PM PST by Dr. Ursus

"Goooooooooooood morning Changsha!"

6 posted on 11/12/2010 1:05:02 PM PST by ClearCase_guy

Note that it was a pre-fab steel structure, and the site was already fully prepared and all materials were in position.

Regardless, it DOES point out - China has been able to take the most useful aspects of modern technology and productivity, and apply it to manufacturing without the union/bureaucratic/regulatory/tort/ BS that we in the USA add to it.

7 posted on 11/12/2010 1:05:17 PM PST by PGR88

To: dirtboy

Hotel "Timberrrrrrrr!"

8 posted on 11/12/2010 1:05:54 PM PST by Lonesome in Massachussets (Go Packers!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Is this anything like Dear Leader scoring 11 holes in one the first time he played golf?

“I’m so roanree...Fore!”

9 posted on 11/12/2010 1:06:15 PM PST by RexBeach

I would have paid good money to watch this

10 posted on 11/12/2010 1:06:15 PM PST by Mr. K (physically unable to see typos until I click 'post')

ANYTHING is possible with an unlimited supply of slave labor.

—Petersburg, Russia
—Great Wall of China
—Roman Aquaducts
—Egyptian Pyramids
—etc. etc. etc.

11 posted on 11/12/2010 1:07:02 PM PST by WayneS (Respect the 2nd Amendment; Repeal the 16th)

1 billion slaves helps.

12 posted on 11/12/2010 1:07:26 PM PST by avacado

There’s no way I’d stay in that hotel. I understand they don’t have the unions and environmentalists but that’s just a little too fast for a 15-story building.

13 posted on 11/12/2010 1:07:51 PM PST by Sister_T ("Calling ILLEGAL aliens "immigrants" is like calling shoplifters 'customers'!"-UCFRoadWarrior ><>)

I hope they got to rest on the seventh day.

14 posted on 11/12/2010 1:08:26 PM PST by Dr. Sivana (There is no salvation in politics)

To: ClearCase_guy

You could never do that in this country. The Unions would not let anyone work that hard or long. This would take at least 4 years in this country.

15 posted on 11/12/2010 1:09:47 PM PST by BooBoo1000 (What will be the contribution of my life>> 'As for me and my family we will serve the Lord")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

This isn’t all that impressive. There’s a business leadership video out there called “The Two Hour House” where people in San Diego actually built an entire house in less than two hours. Of course it was preceeded by months of planning, extensive pre-fabrication, and a team of hundreds that had planned and practiced ahead of time. But it shows how almost anything can be accomplished if the prep work is comprehensive enough.

16 posted on 11/12/2010 1:10:44 PM PST by Non-Sequitur

No city restrictions. Maybe no building codes?
No lawsuits, inspectors and so forth.

17 posted on 11/12/2010 1:10:46 PM PST by A CA Guy ( God Bless America, God bless and keep safe our fighting men and women.)

No Structural Engineering nor building inspections, either?

18 posted on 11/12/2010 1:10:46 PM PST by Rio (I'm no troll-hunter, but)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

28-day breaks?

What the heck are those?

;-)

19 posted on 11/12/2010 1:11:05 PM PST by WayneS (Respect the 2nd Amendment; Repeal the 16th)

“Chinese workers build 15-story hotel in just six days “

Sure they weren’t Amish?

20 posted on 11/12/2010 1:12:01 PM PST by Castigar

To: BooBoo1000
Years ago, my Mother -- very Liberal (marched against Vietnam, etc.) -- got fed up with a small bridge that was being rebuilt near our town. One day she erupted with: "It took us less time to win WWII than it's taking them to rebuild that stupid little bridge!!"

That was about 30 years ago. Things have not improved.

21 posted on 11/12/2010 1:13:02 PM PST by ClearCase_guy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Pure unadulterated tripe.

22 posted on 11/12/2010 1:14:29 PM PST by hgro (Jerry Riversdun)

To: Castigar

An Amish hotel wouldn’t have electricity, no a/c, hot water heaters, elevators. I wouldn’t want to stay in this Chinese hotel or an Amish hotel either!

23 posted on 11/12/2010 1:14:43 PM PST by Ditter (/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

And here we are almost 10 years after 9/11.

24 posted on 11/12/2010 1:15:04 PM PST by dfwgator (Texas Rangers -Thanks for a great season.)

News flash: they can also build warships, aircraft, and missiles really quickly (and cheaply).

They may not be as good as ours — yet — but they definitely have the capability to overwhelm with sheer numbers.

Defeating the Japanese in WWII was a foregone conclusion, once the first shot was fired; the Japanese could not match our industrial output and the more sophisticated Japanese (e.g. Adm. Yamamoto, educated in the US).

Fast forward seventy years. It’s the Chinese with the industrial might. They can replace war materiel as fast as nearly anyone can destroy it. Personnel too.

Very sobering, if you ask me.

25 posted on 11/12/2010 1:15:09 PM PST by Nervous Tick (Trust in God, but row away from the rocks!)

Empire State Building took one year and 45 days or 410 days.
Completed ahead of schedule.
102 floors.
7,000,000 man-hours.
3,400 workers at one time.
Five workers were killed: one worker was struck by a truck; a second fell down an elevator shaft; a third was hit by a hoist; a fourth was in a blast area; and a fifth fell off a scaffold.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/1930s/a/empirefacts.htm

26 posted on 11/12/2010 1:17:38 PM PST by fight_truth_decay

To: Dr. Ursus
How soon before its’laying on its’side?

I wouldn't be so sure.

China has more standing buildings over 500 years old than we have built in the last 20 years.

They can get things done because they do not have as many unionists and bureaucrats standing by for their share. Imagine that...this country has surpassed even that communist state in the number of bureaucrats feeding at the trough.

27 posted on 11/12/2010 1:18:10 PM PST by eleni121 (http://www.serfes.org/orthodox/memoryof.htm)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Lonesome in Massachussets

I saw that appt building in shanghai last year just after it fell around mid june

28 posted on 11/12/2010 1:19:18 PM PST by BubbaJunebug
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Yet it has taken the United States, 9 years and counting to build something at ground zero.

29 posted on 11/12/2010 1:19:18 PM PST by cpprfld (Who said accountants are boring?)

To: Nervous Tick
China is a perfect example of why you want to have a strong nuclear capability, and a strong anti-missile capability. You do NOT want to get into a long war of attrition with these guys -- they will win. Avoiding war is a real good idea, but if war has to start, don't beat around the bush -- 20 or 30 nukes in senstive places and I think the war would be over.

Scary to think about, but it's why we have these things.

30 posted on 11/12/2010 1:20:54 PM PST by ClearCase_guy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

15-story hotel in just six days

Have to admire that stunt.

31 posted on 11/12/2010 1:21:31 PM PST by frithguild (The Democrat Party Brand - Big Government protecting Entrenched Interests from Competition)

And the first 6.8 magnitude shaker will bring it down in seconds. Maybe.

Key to our defeat of the Japanese was the fact that we had damage control systems and training in place. They found out that you can't martyr your way to victory. The leadership uses martyrs to their advancement.

32 posted on 11/12/2010 1:22:01 PM PST by cicero2k

To: Tijeras_Slim

Impressive, but will it stand up to a Chinese fire drill?

33 posted on 11/12/2010 1:22:27 PM PST by Constitution Day

To: ClearCase_guy

>> it’s why we have these things.

It’s not enough to have them — you also have to have the will to use them.

Agree 100% on the anti-missile capability comment. You want a good “shovel ready” stimulus program that would actually create good jobs? Pour Federal dollars into a anti-missile R&D program. Money VERY well spent.

34 posted on 11/12/2010 1:24:42 PM PST by Nervous Tick (Trust in God, but row away from the rocks!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: A CA Guy

Actually, I have seen the national building code for much of China. It’s quite formidable mostly due to worries about earthquakes and typhoons. However, that doesn’t preclude some corrupt official from overlooking the code. The government response, however, is a pretty speedy trial and execution.

35 posted on 11/12/2010 1:24:49 PM PST by 12Gauge687 (Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

It’s probably constructed from garbage.

36 posted on 11/12/2010 1:25:25 PM PST by kamikaze2000 (You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make him think.)

They can replace war materiel as fast as nearly anyone can destroy it.

Your argument was true 60 years ago. It is not longer steel. It is silicon, information management and precision destruction. They are way behind that curve.

37 posted on 11/12/2010 1:27:32 PM PST by frithguild (The Democrat Party Brand - Big Government protecting Entrenched Interests from Competition)

To: cpprfld
Yet it has taken the United States, 9 years and counting to build something at ground zero.

There's no market for extremely tall tower office space.

That said, something can and should be built there as an attraction, a monument and also commercially viable space.

A mosque within a mile would ruin the site.

38 posted on 11/12/2010 1:27:59 PM PST by cicero2k
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: 12Gauge687

High rises don’t go up in a week without trying to set some record with both massive coordination and less regular restrictions IMO.

39 posted on 11/12/2010 1:27:59 PM PST by A CA Guy ( God Bless America, God bless and keep safe our fighting men and women.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

Damn!....how’d they get away with pouring just a 1 foot footer?

40 posted on 11/12/2010 1:29:27 PM PST by Gaffer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Gaffer

From other photographs, you can see that they pulled up some pretty deep pilings, though, clearly, not enough and not deep enough. I knew a guy who was working construction of the first “skyscraper” in Cheasepeake, VA. The soil there is quite soft. They had to drive in a big number of piles until the strike of the hammer resulted in less than some specified motion, which I forget. The site was directly opposite town hall, and the mayor had done something to piss him off, so he always made sure to drive as many strikes as possible when the mayor was in the building.

The building in the photograph was build on soft soil and apparently building inspectors had been paid off, because the pilings were nowhere within shouting distance of local code. One side of the building quickly settled a lot faster than the other (what’s Chinese for “Oh shit!”) and, as they say in Shanghai, disaster ensued.

41 posted on 11/12/2010 1:40:29 PM PST by Lonesome in Massachussets (Go Packers!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

One of the liberty ships took four days to build from keel laid to launch. Think we could do that today?

42 posted on 11/12/2010 1:43:47 PM PST by antiRepublicrat

To: cpprfld

>>Yet it has taken the United States, 9 years and counting to build something at ground zero.<<

Actually, that is incorrect. It is missing two words, and in that word is the MAIN problem in the US.

Here it is, with the needed words:

Yet it has taken the United States, 9 years and counting to START TO build something at ground zero.

43 posted on 11/12/2010 1:43:47 PM PST by RobRoy (The US Today: Revelation 18:4)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: dirtboy

It’s actually quite impressive and “level 9 earthquake resistant” whatever that means. I would like to know if they used Chinese drywall.

44 posted on 11/12/2010 1:47:18 PM PST by Former Proud Canadian (How do I change my screen name now that we have the most conservative government in the world?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Former Proud Canadian
It’s actually quite impressive and “level 9 earthquake resistant” whatever that means. I would like to know if they used Chinese drywall.

Level 9 means the 15 stories will only pancake down to 9 stories after the quake.
45 posted on 11/12/2010 1:48:53 PM PST by aruanan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

If you take a closer look what you call pilings, even though appearing to be solid are not longer than 6 feet or so. Either that or every one of them snapped at that length or they just gave up and didn't drive far enough - not even close!.

One or two of the tubes protruding are hollow. Pilings usually are much longer, to bedrock if there is bedrock...I wouldn't call these pilings by any stretch of the imagination.

46 posted on 11/12/2010 1:53:34 PM PST by Gaffer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

Time release movie - amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0DSihggio&feature=player_embedded

47 posted on 11/12/2010 1:55:38 PM PST by frithguild (The Democrat Party Brand - Big Government protecting Entrenched Interests from Competition)

The whole thing with pilings is that they are driven deep enough that the friction exerted on all surfaces is greater than the load that they support, if there is no bedrock. The float in the substrate and you better hope you dont get much water on them if they are wood.

48 posted on 11/12/2010 2:00:18 PM PST by frithguild (The Democrat Party Brand - Big Government protecting Entrenched Interests from Competition)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

What’s the deal with that building anyway? Built on land fill or something? Piers don’t seem to have done the trick.

49 posted on 11/12/2010 2:12:17 PM PST by smokingfrog (Because you don't live near a bakery doesn't mean you have to go without cheesecake.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

They may have driven a tube down and back filled it with concrete. Whatever they did, I won’t copy them. There was a thread on the building at the time. The builder bypassed local code, bribed the inspectors. IIRC, the building collapsed before it was even finished. The Chinese are inveterate gamblers, the builder was probably cutting corners for decades. I think he may have a found a limit.

50 posted on 11/12/2010 2:29:19 PM PST by Lonesome in Massachussets (Go Packers!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-57 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson