Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Offensive language in the dictionary
The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language ^ | 01/17/03 | Self

Posted on 01/17/2003 3:50:09 PM PST by fivetoes

I was doing some research on 'Disturbing the Peace' as it is defined by my city's municipal code. I wanted to get the exact definitions of the adjectives used to describe conduct to ensure that I was in compliance with the law when using my bullhorn.

It is unlawful for any person to disturb the peace and quiet of others by violent, tumultuous, offensive or obstreperous conduct. (Ord. 1988 § 2, 1981: prior code § 29.5)

So I went to Bartleby.com. Here Once there I used the dictionary and typed in the word offensive.

Being sometimes rational I half expected to get back a definition of 'offensive'. Instead what I received was every where the term 'offensive' appeared in the dictionary. It was not until definition #57 that the word offensive was the key word. Silly me, I thought that the term I wanted a definition for might be the first thing returned. I thought it was quite an extensive list of words that the dictionary indicates are 'offensive'. The missing terms were mostly related to football terminology like I formation, T formation and other offensive sports terminology.

The list seemed to go on and on. I finally stopped at 250 or so. I was afraid that every word I had ever used in my life was going to be offensive. If you are offended by this list, please do not get mad at me. I ran into it by accident. Just think, your children could be innocently looking up a word in the dictionary and be treated to such a list.

Some surprized me like #12. (I did not know my name was considere offensive) And I was not aware that if someone calls a white person #72 Mr. Charlie he is trying to offend. I must be living a sheltered life because I did not know that # 152) bogtrotter was offensive to those of Irish descent.

I guess the moral of all of this is that we can all be offended if we choose to be.

1) squaw. ....1. Offensive A Native American woman, especially a wife. 2. Offensive Slang A woman or wife. Massachusett squa, younger woman....

2) Jewess. ....Offensive A Jewish woman or girl. Like many other English nouns in which the suffix -ess is added to a gender-neutral word to indicate femaleness, the terms Jewess...

3) jig 2. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person. Probably shortening of jigaboo....

4) jigaboo. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person. Origin unknown....

5) dink 2. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a North Vietnamese soldier or guerrilla in the Vietnam War. Origin unknown....

6) Negress. ....Offensive A Black woman or girl. See Usage Note at Jewess....

7) blackamoor. ....Offensive A dark-skinned person, especially a person from northern Africa. black + -a-, of unknown origin + Moor....

8) coonass. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Cajun....

9) dike 2. ....Offensive Slang Variant of dyke2....

10) wetback. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Mexican, especially a laborer who crosses the U.S. border illegally. From the fact that the Rio Grande is a common..

11) Bantustan. ....Offensive Any of the former Black homelands in South Africa. From Bantu (on the model of Hindustan)....

12) Tom. ....Offensive An Uncle Tom....

13) Chinaman. ....Offensive A Chinese man....

14) Romanism. ....Offensive Roman Catholicism....

15) kike. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Jew. Origin unknown....

16) wop. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Italian birth or descent. Italian dialectal guappo, thug, from Spanish guapo, handsome, dashing, braggart,...

17) darkie. ....Offensive Variant of darky....

18) retard 2. ....Offensive Slang 1. Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person. 2. A person considered to be foolish or socially inept. Short for retarded....

19) yid. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Jew. Yiddish, from Middle High German jude. See Yiddish....

20) Muhammadanism. ....Offensive The religion of Muslims; Islam....

21) poof 2. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for an effeminate or homosexual male. Probably alteration of puff, braggart, homosexual man, from puff (influenced by poof1)....

22) nigger. ....Offensive Slang 1a. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person: You can only be destroyed by believing that you really are what the white world calls a nigger...

23) faggot 2. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man. Perhaps from faggot, variant of fagot, bundle, lump, old woman....

24) bimbette. ....Offensive Slang A woman considered as sexually provocative and mentally vacuous. bimbo + -ette....

25) shkotzim. ....Offensive Plural of shegetz....

26) ofay. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a white person. Possibly of West African origin. The commonly seen etymology of ofay-Pig Latin for foe-is of less interest...

27) redskin. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Native American....

28) Jap. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or descent....

29) bohunk. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person from east-central Europe, especially a laborer. Bo(hemian) + alteration of Hung(arian)....

30) blackie. ....Offensive Variant of blacky....

31) gringa. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a foreign woman in Latin America, especially an American or English woman. Spanish, feminine of gringo, gringo. See...

32) midget. ....1. Offensive An extremely small person who is otherwise normally proportioned. 2. A small or miniature version of something. 3. A class of small objects, as a class...

33) Chink. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for person of Chinese birth or descent. Probably alteration of Chinese....

34) spic. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Hispanic person. Alteration of obsolete spig, a Mexican, short for spiggoty, perhaps from an accented pronunciation...

35) gook 2. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of East Asian birth or descent. Perhaps alteration of earlier goo-goo, native inhabitant of the Philippines,...

36) mongolism. ....Offensive Down syndrome. From Mongolian, term used in a system of classification for mentally retarded people, devised around ethnic lines by John Langdon Haydon...

37) Prod. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Protestant....

38) crip. ....1. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person or animal that is partially disabled or unable to use a limb or limbs. 2. Slang Something that is easily...

39) madhouse. ....1. Offensive An institution for the mentally ill. 2. Informal A place of great disorder and confusion....

40) mick. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Irish birth or descent. Probably from the name Mick, nickname for Michael....

41) Boche. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a German. French, alteration of Alboche, blend of Allemand, German; see allemande, and French dialectal caboche, cabbage,...

42) fag 3. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man. Short for faggot2....

43) shiksa. ....Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a non-Jewish girl or woman. Yiddish shikse, feminine of shegetz, shegetz. See shegetz....

44) redneck. ....Offensive Slang 1. Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States. 2. A white person regarded...

45) Okie. ....1. Offensive Slang A migrant farm worker from the south-central United States, especially one seeking work in the West or Southwest during the 1930s and 1940s. 2....

46) bughouse. ....Offensive Slang An institution for the mentally ill. Insane; crazy. Probably from bug, enthusiast....

47) Romanist. ....1. Offensive One who professes Roman Catholicism. 2. A student of or authority on ancient Roman law, culture, and institutions....

48) Hymie. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Jew. Probably from Hymie, nickname for Hyman....

49) popery. ....Offensive The doctrines, practices, and rituals of the Roman Catholic Church....

50) spick. ....Offensive Slang Variant of spic....

51) Polack. ....1. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Polish birth or descent. 2. Obsolete A native of Poland; a Pole. Polish Polak. See pel-2 in Appendix...

52) JAP. ....Offensive Slang A Jewish-American girl or woman regarded as being pampered or overindulged. J(ewish) A(merican) P(rincess)....

53) Paddy. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person, especially a man, of Irish birth or descent. Nickname for Irish Gaelic Padraig, Patrick....

54) Moonie. ....Often Offensive A member of the Unification Church. After Sun Myung Moon....

55) fetor. ....An offensive odor; a stench. See synonyms at stench. Middle English fetoure, from Latin ftor, from ftre, to stink....

56) mephitis. ....1. An offensive smell; a stench. 2. A poisonous or foul-smelling gas emitted from the earth. Latin meftis, mephtis....

57) offensive. ....1. Disagreeable to the senses: an offensive odor. 2. Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront: an offensive gesture. 3a. Making an attack: The offensive...

58) Canuck. ....Often Offensive Slang A Canadian, especially a French Canadian. Probably alteration of Canadian....

59) retarded. ....1. Often Offensive Affected with mental retardation. 2. Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed....

60) retardate. ....Often Offensive A mentally retarded person....

61) Indian giver. ....Offensive One who gives something to another and then takes or demands the gift back....

62) funny farm. ....Offensive Slang A mental health facility or hospital....

63) white trash. ....Offensive Slang 1. Used as a disparaging term for a poor white person or poor white people. 2. Used as a disparaging term for a white person or white people perceived...

64) nut house. ....Offensive Slang An institution for the mentally ill....

65) Bible banger. ....Offensive A Bible thumper....

66) squaw man. ....Offensive A white or other non-Native American man having a Native American wife and usually living with her people....

67) Uncle Tom. ....Offensive A Black person who is regarded as being humiliatingly subservient or deferential to white people. After Uncle Tom, a character in Uncle Tom's Cabin, a novel...

68) Uncle Tomism. ....Offensive Deferential, subservient behavior and attitudes believed characteristic of an Uncle Tom: Some will seek status through renewed acquiescence and Uncle Tomism...

69) loony bin. ....Offensive Slang An institution for the mentally ill....

70) half-caste. ....Offensive A person of mixed racial descent. Of mixed racial descent....

71) yellow peril. ....Offensive Threatened expansion of Asian populations as magnified in the Western imagination....

72) indecent. ....1. Offensive to good taste; unseemly. 2. Offensive to public moral values; immodest. See synonyms at improper. in·decent·ly -ADVERB...

73) Mr. Charlie. ....Offensive Slang A white person or white people considered as a group. From the name Charlie, nickname for Charles....

74) Holy Roller. ....Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a member of any of various religious denominations in which spiritual fervor is expressed by shouts and violent body movements....

75) Bible thumper. ....Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a Christian, especially a fundamentalist or evangelical Christian, considered to be overly zealous in haranguing or censuring...

76) half-breed. ....Offensive A person of mixed racial descent, especially a person of Native American and white parentage. Half-blooded; hybrid. Used of animals....

77) bull dyke. ....Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian, especially one exhibiting behavior associated with stereotypically masculine traits....

78) coon. ....1. Informal A raccoon. 2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person. Short for raccoon....

79) bint. ....Chiefly British & Offensive A woman or girl. Arabic, daughter. See bn in Appendix II....

80) counterplay. ....A threat or offensive position in chess intended to counter an opponent's advantage in another part of the board....

81) wog. ....Chiefly British Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of color, especially a person from northern Africa or western or southern Asia. Probably short...

82) noisome. ....1. Offensive to the point of arousing disgust; foul: a noisome odor. 2. Harmful or dangerous: noisome fumes. Middle English noiesom : noie, harm (short for anoi,...

83) dyke 2. ....Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian. Origin unknown.dykey -ADJECTIVE...

84) Hinayana. ....Offensive Theravada Buddhism. Sanskrit Hnaynam, lesser vehicle (as contrasted with Mahynam, greater vehicle; see Mahayana) : hna-, inferior; see gh- in Appendix I...

85) indelicate. ....1. Offensive to established standards of propriety; improper. See synonyms at improper. 2. Marked by a lack of good taste; coarse. 3. Lacking in consideration for...

86) obscene. ....1. Offensive to accepted standards of decency or modesty. 2. Inciting lustful feelings; lewd. 3. Repulsive; disgusting: The way he writes about the disease that killed...

87) papist. ....Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a Roman Catholic. New Latin ppista, from Late Latin ppa. See pope.papist, pa·pistic (p-pistik) -ADJECTIVEpapist·ry -NOUN...

88) Romish. ....Offensive Of or relating to the Roman Catholic Church. Romish·ly -ADVERBRomish·ness -NOUN...

89) popish. ....Offensive Of or relating to the popes or the Roman Catholic Church. popish·ly -ADVERBpopish·ness -NOUN...

90) shylock. ....Offensive A ruthless moneylender; a loan shark. Inflected forms: shy·locked, shy·lock·ing, shy·locks To lend money at exorbitant interest rates. After Shylock, the...

91) flagrant. ....1. Conspicuously bad, offensive, or reprehensible: a flagrant miscarriage of justice; flagrant cases of wrongdoing at the highest levels of government. See Usage...

92) old maid. ....1. Offensive A woman who has remained single beyond the conventional age for marrying. 2. Informal A person regarded as being primly fastidious. 3. Games a. A card...

93) kraut. ....1. Sauerkraut. 2. often Kraut Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a German. German. See sauerkraut....

94) West Briton. ....Offensive A native Irishman or Irishwoman whose sympathies lie toward England: To say you'd write for a rag like that. I didn't think you were a West Briton (James...

102) feeble-minded. ....1. Offensive Deficient in intelligence. 2. Exhibiting a marked lack of intelligent consideration and forethought: feeble-minded excuses; a feeble-minded plan doomed..

115) gringo. ....Inflected forms: pl. grin·gos Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a foreigner in Latin America, especially an American or English person. Spanish, foreign,...

116) Muhammadan. ....1. Of or relating to Muhammad. 2. Offensive Of or relating to Islam; Muslim. Offensive A Muslim....

119) colored. ....1. Having color: colored tissue paper. 2. also Colored Often Offensive a. Of or belonging to a racial group not categorized as white. b. Black or African-American....

120) twat. ....1. Vulgar Slang The vulva. 2. Offensive & Vulgar Slang A woman or girl. Origin unknown....

122) hyphenated. ....1. Having a hyphen: a hyphenated adjective. 2. Often Offensive Of or relating to naturalized citizens or their descendants or culture. Naturalized immigrants to the...

123) coolie. ....Inflected forms: pl. coo·lies Offensive An unskilled Asian laborer. Hindi qul, laborer, perhaps ultimately from Kul, a tribe in Gujarat....

124) darky. ....Inflected forms: pl. dark·ies Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a Black person....

126) shock radio. ....Talk radio featuring derogatory or offensive remarks, vulgar language, and crude humor....

127) blacky. ....Inflected forms: pl. black·ies Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a Black person....

128) sheeny 2. ....Inflected forms: pl. shee·nies Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Jew. Origin unknown....

129) Abo. ....Inflected forms: pl. Ab·os Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for an Australian Aborigine....

133) poontang. ....1. Vulgar Slang Sexual intercourse with a woman. 2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a woman. Perhaps from French putain, prostitute, from Old French,...

135) ginzo. ....Inflected forms: pl. gin·zoes Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Italian birth or descent. Origin unknown....

136) homo 2. ....Inflected forms: pl. ho·mos Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a gay man or lesbian. Short for homosexual....

139) hunky 1. ....Inflected forms: pl. hun·kies Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person, especially a laborer, from east-central Europe. Probably shortening and alteration...

140) shegetz. ....Inflected forms: pl. shkotz·im (shkotsim) Offensive A non-Jewish boy or young man. Yiddish sheygets, from Hebrew seqe, blemish. See sq in Appendix II....

141) spaz. ....Inflected forms: pl. spazz·es Offensive Slang One who is considered clumsy or inept. Inflected forms: spazzed, spazz·ing, spazz·es To be clumsy or inept. Short for...

144) schizo. ....Inflected forms: pl. schiz·os Offensive Slang A schizophrenic person. schizo -ADJECTIVE...

145) Paki. ....Inflected forms: pl. Pak·is Chiefly British Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person from Pakistan or neighboring countries or for the descendant of...

146) Marrano. ....Inflected forms: pl. Mar·ra·nos Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a Converso. Spanish, pig, Marrano (from the Jewish prohibition against eating pork), probably...

147) booby hatch. ....1. Nautical A raised covering over a small hatchway. 2. Offensive Slang An institution for the mentally ill....

148) Russky. ....Inflected forms: pl. Rus·skies Offensive A Russian. Russian russkii, Russian, from Rus', Rus. See Rus.Russky -ADJECTIVE...

150) jew. ....Inflected forms: jewed, jew·ing, jews Offensive 1. To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down. 2. To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used...

152) bogtrotter. ....1. A person who lives in or frequents bogs. 2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Irish birth or descent....

153) mammy. ....Inflected forms: pl. mam·mies1. Mother. 2. Offensive A Black nursemaid, especially one formerly in the southern United States. From dialectal mam, variant of mama....

154) bitch. ....1. A female canine animal, especially a dog. 2. Offensive a. A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing. b. A lewd woman. c. A man considered to be weak or...

155) pickaninny. ....Inflected forms: pl. pick·a·nin·nies Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a young Black child. Possibly from Spanish pequeno, small + nino, child, or from Portuguese..

158) Negro. ....Inflected forms: pl. Ne·groes Often Offensive 1. A Black person. See Usage Note at black. 2. A member of the Negroid race. Not in scientific use. Spanish and Portuguese...

159) Asiatic. ....Asian: the Asiatic reaches of the Soviet Union; a tropical Asiatic plant. Often Offensive An Asian. As with Oriental, the use of Asiatic in referring to the peoples...

161) pommy. ....Inflected forms: pl. pom·mies Australian & New Zealand Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a British person, especially a recent immigrant. Shortening...

167) honky. ....Inflected forms: pl. hon·kies also hon·keys Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a white person. Possibly blend of Wolof honq, red, pink, of light complexion,.

169) schizy. ....Inflected forms: schiz·i·er, schiz·i·est Informal 1. Offensive Slang Schizophrenic or schizoid. 2. Slang Characterized by the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic...

171) lez. ....Inflected forms: pl. lez·zes or lez·zies Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian. Shortening and alteration of lesbian....

174) nancy. ....Inflected forms: pl. nan·cies also nanc·es Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for an effeminate man, especially a homosexual man. From the name Nancy....

175) goy. ....Inflected forms: pl. goy·im (goiim) or goys Offensive Used as a disparaging term for one who is not a Jew. Yiddish, from Hebrew goy, Jew ignorant of the Jewish religion,...

176) spook. ....1. Informal A ghost; a specter. 2. Slang A secret agent; a spy. 3. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person. Inflected forms: spooked, spook·ing,...

178) dago. ....Inflected forms: pl. da·gos or da·goes Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for an Italian, Spaniard, or Portuguese. Alteration of Spanish Diego, a given name,...

182) Geechee. ....Coastal South Carolina and Georgia 1a. The Gullah creole. b. A speaker of Gullah. 2. Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a person who speaks a nonstandard local...

183) runt. ....1. An undersized animal, especially the smallest animal of a litter. 2. Offensive A short person. Origin unknown.runti·ness -NOUNrunty -ADJECTIVE...

184) breeder. ....1. A person who breeds animals or plants. 2. An animal kept to produce offspring. 3. Offensive Slang A heterosexual person. 4. A source or cause: social injustice-a...

204) Kaffir. ....Inflected forms: pl. Kaffir or Kaf·firs also Kafir or Kaf·irs1. Offensive a. A Xhosa. b. often kaffir Used especially in southern Africa as a disparaging term for...

218) fairy. ....being in human form, depicted as clever, mischievous, and possessing magical powers. 2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man. Middle English...

238) queer. ....or character; suspicious. 4. Slang Fake; counterfeit. 5. Feeling slightly ill; queasy. 6. Offensive Slang Homosexual. 7. Usage Problem Of or relating to lesbians,..

241) greaser. ....one from a white working-class background who is much involved with motorcycles or cars. 3. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Latin American, especially.

243) pansy. ....having flowers with velvety petals of various colors. 2. A deep to strong violet. 3. Offensive Slang a. Used as a disparaging term for a man or boy who is considered...

255) vegetable. ....b. The edible part of such a plant. c. A member of the vegetable kingdom; a plant. 2. Offensive Slang One who is severely impaired mentally and physically, as by...

idiot NOUN: 1. A foolish or stupid person. 2. A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

TOPICS: Society
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 01/17/2003 3:50:09 PM PST by fivetoes
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: All

It's Time To Shut Little Tommy Up !

Donate Here By Secure Server

Or mail checks to
FreeRepublic , LLC
PO BOX 9771
FRESNO, CA 93794

or you can use

PayPal at Jimrob@psnw.com

STOP BY AND BUMP THE FUNDRAISER THREAD-
It is in the breaking news sidebar!

2 posted on 01/17/2003 3:51:48 PM PST by Support Free Republic (Your support keeps Free Republic going strong!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: fivetoes
The list seemed to go on and on. I finally stopped at 250 or so

ROFLMAO.... Move over Archie Bunker!   What a sad time we live in ... we have to redefine words!?  Aren't there other problems in the world that could use some fixing?  Sheesh.
3 posted on 01/17/2003 4:26:27 PM PST by GirlShortstop

To: fivetoes
Saving this as text in case it gets pulled.
4 posted on 01/20/2003 9:57:10 AM PST by weikel

To: weikel
Now why would this get pulled? It is nothing more than what is in the dictionary. ;-)
5 posted on 01/20/2003 3:41:28 PM PST by fivetoes (God Bless Our Troops!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson