Skip to comments.The Truths We Dare Not Speak About Illegal Immigration
Posted on 07/31/2010 5:18:23 AM PDT by Kaslin
In the last 48 hours almost everything that can be said about illegal immigration has been said. But I am more interested in a few truths that are never quite spoken.
1) Why the Sense of Exemption? Why and how exactly do the supporters of illegal immigration justify massive disobedience of federal law? I suspect the answer is predicated in large part on the source of illegal immigration that if it were a question of a half-million entering illegal Rwandans or Balkan peoples each year, the issue would have remained strictly a matter of legality.
I posed a hypothetical once to a Mexican consular official in a public debate, framing the request by inquiring whether he thought there would be anything wrong, say, with freighters coming ashore on the California coast, and unloading 1-2,000 Chinese nationals on average each day few of whom would be legal, English-speaking, or with high-school diplomas.
He seemed shocked, outraged even more so, when I added that Chinese-language facilities would be soon mandated within public services, and a sort of Chinese cultural appreciation movement would be embedded within the schools to help encourage and invigorate illegal Chinese immigrants in their own personal odysseys within California.
My own puzzlement lasted mere seconds, since the consul quickly cited Mexicos historical affinity with, and indeed (emotional, linguistic, legal?) claims upon, the southwestern United States. Presto — here arose the unspoken assumption of the advocates of open borders (or at least of those who feel that illegal aliens should be exempt from federal immigration statutes): historical grievances have made enforcement of the law rather debatable, given that sovereignty, national borders, and the notion of a definable America altogether are problematic.
2) The Great Paradox. Also not mentioned is another contradiction that goes to the very heart of illegal immigration, multiculturalism, and assimilation: millions risk their lives to opt for a different paradigm (whether that is primarily economic, cultural, political, or social, as the particular case may be) that entails a sort of rejection of Mexico and acceptance of its antithesis in America.
In other words, millions (as in the case of immigration everywhere) are willing to cast aside cultural, linguistic, ethnic, familial, and tribal ties for something quite different across the border. That said, why then would not both immigrant and the host facilitate and amplify that choice by insisting on English, assimilation, and immersion within the mutually preferred host culture?
Americans are increasingly confused by the tone of the debate, in which self-appointed spokesmen for illegal aliens and indeed, on occasion, illegal aliens themselves seem so critical of policies embraced by 70% of the American populace of all classes and races that they so eagerly wish to join. In cases of the May Day parades, why would alien demonstrators appear so critical of the country (or at least its law) that they so desperately wish to stay in, and so fond and romantic about the country that they so desperately wish to leave? It all makes little or no sense, other than the emotional anger at the paradox of wanting to be in a lawful America without being lawful. Even if the Mexican flag is a symbol of ethnic solidarity, in the manner of the Italian flag for a few East Coast communities, it nevertheless conveys the message of romance for a nation that by all accounts has treated its own quite poorly. And when we get to the purported racialist charges against supporters of closed borders, it all becomes Orwellian, given that Mexicos ruling elite is as about as racist a government as one can imagine a Spanish heritage aristocracy glad to see its own indigenous peoples fleeing northward while charging their receptive host with racism.
3) The Distortions of Affirmative Action. I do not understand how mere transit across the border enables the illegal alien to plug into the industry of affirmative action. And, yes, that happens sometimes in the first, more often in the second generation. Someone born, raised, and living in Mexico can cross illegally into the U.S., have a child, and, ipso facto, that child is entitled to a sort of historical reparation or, perhaps, is seen as a beneficiary of diversity programs.
All this is predicated on the unspoken assumption that by virtue of Mexican ancestry the current alien has encountered more discrimination or adversity in a few years of the new millennium than say the Arab- or Punjabi- or Armenian-American immigrant of long duration. This is as absurd as it is an ignored consideration.
4) A Cultural Elite. We know roughly the politics of illegal immigration: the open borders libertarian and corporate right wanted access to cheap workers, with the ensuing social costs born by the state. In contrast, liberal Democratic interests favor the notion that millions of new constituents will need some public assistance, that hundreds of thousands of new federal and state employees will be needed to administer to them, and that both groups will record their thanks at the polls especially important in existing 50/50 state and federal congressional districts of the American southwest.
But left unsaid is that such overt politicking is matched in the cultural sphere. Take away a half-million person influx of illegal aliens of the Hispanic underclass, or take away a permanent group of largely Spanish-speaking, largely poor, and largely undereducated Mexican nationals, and within 30 years the vast majority of Mexican-Americans will assimilate in the pattern of other contemporary minority groups — and, in terms of education and compensation, achieve rough parity. Unfortunately, that would also mean that the argument for a Chicano-Latino Studies program (rather than, say, an Irish Studies program), for the self-identified Chicano journalist, or for any activist who sees his Hispanic heritage as essential rather than as incidental to his persona simply disappears. (We do not have a National Council of Das Volk; nor a self-identified wise Greek on the Supreme Court.)
In short, without the arrival of the illegal alien in massive numbers without education, capital, legality and English, the Hispanic activists and cultural elite have no reason to be, since soon there would be no disparity that can be blamed on oppression or racism and thus no need for self-appointed collective representation. La Raza would have no raza when a Hilda Lopez marries Larry Smith and their daughter Linda Lopez Smith marries Billy Otomo and so on.
5) Profiling. Of course, one can profile with some reasonable certainty who is illegal and who not. Do we believe that if 1 million French-speaking Canadians were invading New England, we would then be likely to suspect an African-American English-speaking citizen pulled over for speeding as an illegal alien? Ponder the current Border Patrol: it apparently profiles near the border any Mexican nationals who are spotted in the general vicinity (and who speak no English?), but yet at some magical spot 10, 20, or 30 miles from the border it mysteriously loses that ability or legal sanction?
If the Border Patrol can question those on the American side of the fence on reasonable grounds, then why cannot the policeman do so too a few miles distant? If not, the Mexican national, by reason of his stepping one foot on American soil, could say, Wait, I am just walking by the fence, breaking no law, and so how dare you inquire whether I am legal?
In fact, the Border Patrol makes millions of such inquiries yearly and in the vast majority of cases has developed logical criteria that are applicable as well a few miles inland. In passing, I note in a recent 7 day period (I counted), I produced an ID six times, once to gain admittance to a radio station, four times to validate a credit card usage, and once to check into a hotel. Were they profiling me as a credit risk, possible criminal, undesirable?
6. There is now no law. Reader, let us walk through the new immigration labyrinth: (a) the federal government has chosen not to enforce, or cannot enforce, immigration law, evident by the continual residence of over 12 million illegal aliens, and an annual influx of some 500,000 to 750,000 more; (b) neither the federal government nor states (nor the courts) can demand enforcement of an existing federal law; (c) those states that pass laws emulating federal immigration statutes will have their legislation either voided by the court or neutered by the federal government; (d) but those cities who pass sanctuary laws in direct violation of federal illegal immigration statutes will have their legislation either validated or ignored by both the court and the federal and state governments.
Conclusion? The federal government and federal courts prefer to ignore laws that violate their own, but void those that copy them.
We are in revolutionary times when the law is a malleable thing, its validity predicated only on its perceived social utility at any given moment.
* 83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens.
* 86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens.
* 75% of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles , Phoenix and Albuquerque are illegal aliens.
* 24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals
* 40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals
* 48.2% of all inmates in New Mexico detention centers are Mexican nationals
* 53% plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas are perpetrated by illegal aliens.
* 71% plus of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California were stolen by Illegal aliens or "transport coyotes".
* 47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are illegal aliens.
Open Borders Creates Severe Health Concerns: Illegal Immigration Brings Diseases to US
While political and verbal posturing shamelessly continues by Mr. Obama and associates
in the border saga, an on-going border war rages. Not only are brave law
enforcement professionals at risk by standing in the gap between illegal aliens, drug
thugs, escaped and released criminals, terrorists, mentally ill, and Americas well-being,
but an insidious health crisis is also flowing across the southern border of America.
Hospital Emergency Departments in border cities are having to battle with new strains of
antibiotic resistant infections, and diseases America basically eradicated many years ago;
diseases like: tuberculosis, pneumonias, staph, parasitic Chagas disease, and leprosy.
Some American cities have prided themselves in becoming sanctuary cities opening
their communities to any and all illegal aliens.
Chagas: A devastating parasite that was primarily relegated to Latin America; now prevalent in Los Angeles, California and spreading.
Cysticercosis: Latin America brainworm, and as The Wall Street Journal reported, In recent years, as the immigration population has spread
cysticercosis has cropped up in states that have never had to deal with it before, including Iowa, Ohio, Missouri and Oregon.
Necrotizing fasciitis: Basically a flesh-eating bacterium.
Leprosy: Difficult to believe, but health officials in Maryland, Florida, California,
Louisiana, Texas, New York City, Hawaii are having to battle this heinous disease.
Bedbugs: New strains which are resistant to fumigation.
The New York Times reported, bedbugs are spreading throughout New York City like a swarm of locusts even in top addresses on Park Avenue, Riverside Drive and Helmsley Park Lane.
These bugs are terrible, they hurt, they suck your blood, and they leave discoloration and soreness. They are spreading into hospitals!
Toxocara roundworm parasite: Can cause blindness and epilepsy.
This parasite is on a dramatic increase, and is being found in many playgrounds.
Multiple hospitals in Los Angeles are reporting rapid increases of seizures and other neurological events caused by tapeworms and related parasites.
More like Orwellian times
its validity predicated only on its perceived social utility at any given moment.
The Bolsheviks treated existing Russian laws the same way when they came to power - yet conservatives are condemned when they call Obama a Marxist. Go figure.
Best article I’ve read on the subject.
Fave line: “In cases of the May Day parades, why would alien demonstrators appear so critical of the country (or at least its law) that they so desperately wish to stay in, and so fond and romantic about the country that they so desperately wish to leave? “
This isn’t someone with a name ending in a vowel hoping Italy can win the World Cup. This is “gimme the cash and stuff the rest of it.” I suspect it’s no coincidence that their biggest supporters and enablers are leftists who ALREADY mock and insult the US on a daily basis.
The federal government’s stance on enforcement of the illegal alien law seems to be that if it cannot enforce it perfectly (100%), then it shouldn’t be enforced at all.
Will this soon be the same criterion for murder, rape and robbery etc?
Illegal immigrants are the Democrats’ useful idiots.
That is easy to figure. The MSM is part of the leftist power structure.
The Arizona decision (along with the failure to prosecute the Black Panther voting intimidation incident) will go down in history as the point at which the Rule of Law ceased to function in the United States. The Obama administration has decimated the Rule of Law.
they want to (or have already ) buit a country within the usa...The Mexican Nation...and they want it funded by the US government...they are entitled..Democrats said so..We are going third world faster than i expected..
Third world? How about fourth world?
In Berthold Brecht’s famous sarcasm, this is the American Socialist State ‘electing’ a new people.
You teabaggers and such are unfit to be citizens of the Glorious People’s Commonwealth and are being replaced by more suitable, and electorally appreciative, newcomers.
Have a great weekend!
Our laws and our popular sentiment say that there is no need to apologize, but since we are now a government of Men not Laws, there is an opportunity here to make it up to the Mexicans.
I’ve had debates with Mexicans on their loss of the American West as a result of their defeat in the war, however we did pay for it, albeit not much. The problem was in that vast expanse there were only about 75,000 Mexican nationals in that entire territory, no where near enough to secure it much less keep it in the event of a war or other problem (the American Indians didn’t want anything to do with the Mexicans controlling them either and were pretty much left alone). The Mexicans didn’t control their borders (sound familiar?), with so much infighting and problems going on in Mexico City for decades after their freedom from Spain. The continued expansion of European immigrants to the West exacerbated the problem and it was only a matter of time (sound familiar?). In the end the argument I have with Mexicans ends with “if Mexico still owned all that land and never lost it to America, would it have prospered despite the war or would it be just as poor, mismanaged, and corrupt as the rest of Mexico is today and the border jumpers would be plying their craft along a different line in the dirt?” They often get a blank expression on their face and then change the subject. They know I’m right; their resentment isn’t really over the land, it’s over the system that operates in their lost land (democracy, capitalism, minimal corruption, etc.) one that they haven’t figured out how to create in their own homeland. And their corrupt government, in order to stay in power, is happy to continue to instill hate in their citizens towards the U.S., while liberal idiots are happy to provide the victim label on these people to secure their votes. Sad, sad, sad.
6. There is now no law. Reader, let us walk through the new immigration labyrinth: (a) the federal government has chosen not to enforce, or cannot enforce, immigration law, evident by the continual residence of over 12 million illegal aliens, and an annual influx of some 500,000 to 750,000 more
I disagree with the above. Just assume the following...
Ten ships the size of the RMS QE2 leave Europe and head for the docks at NYC.
This would be approx 17,770 people in total as the QE 2 held 1,777 passengers. And then we assume that none of the people have 'papers', ICE knows they are coming 'without papers' (WOPs), and when they'll arrive in NYC.
- One is from Poland
- One id from Latvia
- One is from Estonia
- One is from Italy
- One is from France
- One is from Lithuania
- One is from Ireland
- One is from Spain
- One is from Denmark
- One is from Estonia
Now if anyone believes that ICE would not be there IN FORCE to great these 'WOPs', take them into custody then and there, and deport there white butts back to Europe pdq. Well, if so I have have a bridge to sell you.
The fact is that ICE and the US Gubmint are Racist. They don't want any White Europeans emigrating to the USA (illegally or Legally). But they DO WANT brown uneducated peons from Mexico and Central America because that type can be molded for their use. It's out and out reverse racism based on a semi-Slavery mentality: 'Now you be good Jorge and we'll leave you alone, give you food stamps and other goodies. Just work very cheap and shut up'.
What Dubya said about, 'The Soft Bigotry Of Low Expectations' doesn't just pertain to Blacks. And the comieRATS play that 'bigotry game', like Eric Clapton plays a guitar -- masterfully.
This is a pretty good article. The only thing I would add is that a large part of our Illegal Alien problem is that the supporters of Liberal Free Trade Globalism support Open Borders and mass immigration (even when economically not feasible or needed)
You will find that the majority of those who push Liberal Free Trade Globalism (NAFTA, CAFTA, Free Trade with Communist China, etc...) are the same ones who push Illegal Alien Amnesty....and, especialy among GOP Illegal Alien supporters....they are the ones who aggresively push Liberal Free Trade Globalism.
Generally...supporters of Free Trade are also supporters of Illegal Alienism and Illegal Alien Amnesty. The Free Trade mantra/myth also pushes the idea of Open Borders and mass immigration....even at the risk of catastrophic economic damage.
Ending Free Trade will end Illegal Alienism immediately...two conjoining economic theories and political beliefs that do not work
BINGO BINGO BINGO
“I suspect its no coincidence that their biggest supporters and enablers are leftists who ALREADY mock and insult the US on a daily basis.”
Where do poor people get thousands of dollars to immigrate?
BookMark for later viewing.
Enforcing immigration laws is anti-North American Union.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.