Skip to comments.
Obama Budget Raises Taxes on Small Employers, Savers, Families
| Ryan Ellis
Posted on 02/15/2012 11:02:04 AM PST by 92nina
President Obama released his FY 2013 budget [Monday] morning. By his own numbers, his budget raises net taxes over the next decade by $1.56 trillion (Table S-9, page 225). As a percentage of the economy, tax revenues would rise all the way to 20.1% of GDP in 2022, far higher than the historical tax revenue average of 18.3% of GDP (Table S-1, page 205).
Here are some of the tax lowlights:
- All 20 of the new or higher taxes in Obamacare are assumed to take place. That means that there will be a 3.8 percentage point surtax on investment income. It means that there will be excise taxes imposed on those unwilling to comply with the individual or employer mandates. That means that health insurance plans will face new taxes that will be passed along as premiums. The list goes on and on.
- The tax rate at which the majority of small employer profits face taxation will rise. Under the Obama budget, the top marginal income tax rate (at which a majority of small employer profits will face taxation) will rise from 35% today to 39.6% in 2013.
- The capital gains rate will rise from 15% today to 23.8% next year. That's because the Obama budget assumes the pre-2001 capital gains rate of 20% for investors earning more than $250,000 per year. On top of this, the Obamcare surtax on investment will raise this rate to 23.8%. Separately, capital gains earned as "carried interest" will be taxed at ordinary income tax rates.
- The dividends rate will raise from 15% today to 43.4% next year. The Obama budget proposes taxing dividends for investors making more than $250,000 per year at ordinary income tax rates, which will rise to a top rate of 39.6% under the budget. In addition, the Obamacare surtax on investors will combine to nearly triple the tax rate on dividends in just one year.
- The real tax rate on capital gains and dividends is actually even higher than this. Since taxes on dividends and capital gains are a cascaded double taxation on savings, the rate is actually far higher than this. Before being taxed to investors as capital gains and dividends, the money first faced taxation as corporate profits. The U.S. has the highest corporate income tax rate in the developed world at 35%. When factoring this in, the Obama budget is actually proposing a capital gains tax rate of 50.5% and a dividends rate of 63.2%. That would leave U.S. employers and savers at a severe competitive disadvantage.
- The death tax will rise from 35% today to 45% next year. The Obama budget calls for the top rate on estates (the death tax) to rise from 35% today to 45% in 2013. In addition, more and more families will face this tax. The budget calls for cutting the death tax "standard deduction" from $5 million ($10 million for couples) in place today to $3.5 million next year. Thousands more families will have to visit the undertaker and their tax accountant on the same day.
- Taxes raised on larger employers by $147 billion, pushing capital and jobs overseas. The budget moves toward a full double-taxation of profits on U.S. companies doing business overseas. Not only would these companies have to pay tax in the country they earned the money in--they would have to pay tax again if they wanted to bring that money back to the U.S. As a result, companies will have no incentive to bring back money to America to invest in plant and equipment, create jobs, fund pensions, or pay shareholders.
- Taxes raised on families who consume energy by at least $100 billion over the decade. A whole series of tax increases on oil and gas companies, coal, and other producers of oil are proposed in this budget. Companies don't pay taxes--people do. These higher taxes will be passed along to families in the form of higher energy bills, skinnier 401(k) balances, and lower wages.
Read more: http://www.atr.org/obama-budget-raises-taxes-small-employers-a6727#ixzz1mTfGck7e
TOPICS: Business/Economy; Government; Politics; Reference
KEYWORDS: 2012; 2012election; bho44; bhofascism; bhosocialism; corruption; deception; democrats; donttreadonme; elections; fraud; hopeychangey; liberalism; lping; nobama2012; nohopenochange; obama; obamacare; obamatruthfile; redistribution; socialism; socialistdemocrats; spreadthewealth; stealthewealth; taxcheatparty; taxes
Obama, at all costs, to feed the Admin.
Take this article and others I found to the fight to the Libs on their own turf; put the Left on the defensive at Digg and at Reddit and in Stumbleupon and Delicious
posted on 02/15/2012 11:02:17 AM PST
posted on 02/15/2012 11:29:16 AM PST
I guess the free ride is over, but instead of stopping the bus, the fairs are going through the roof.
posted on 02/15/2012 11:31:17 AM PST
(A nation cannot stand in the absence of religious principle.)
posted on 02/15/2012 11:31:22 AM PST
It never stops with the obumunist and his gang of treasonous communist lemmings.
posted on 02/15/2012 11:38:07 AM PST
by GlockThe Vote
(The Obama Adminstration: 2nd wave of attacks on America after 9/11)
After 17 years they finally regulated me out of business a year and half ago. Over time they just keep adding another layer of fees, licensing criteria, regulations and disclosure minutia etc. etc. It finally just overwhelms you. I know so many people who have just given up and closed up shop. Nothing is going to change anytime soon.
posted on 02/15/2012 11:47:25 AM PST
by Georgia Girl 2
(The only purpose of a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should never have dropped.)
Click The Pic To Donate
Support Activist Free Republic
posted on 02/15/2012 11:49:50 AM PST
by DJ MacWoW
(America! The wolves are here! What will you do?)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson