Skip to comments.Here's what the Republican House must do on taxes right now, and what will happen if they don't
Posted on 12/06/2012 10:01:08 PM PST by sickoflibs
I still suggest that House Republicans extend those cuts under $250 K,
Declare that they saved the middle class and then take on the other issues that they might be able to win. AND NO DEAL WITH OBAMA.
Here is what House Republicans need to do RIGHT NOW (should of done 6 months ago) :
Stop negotiating with O because that is a waste of time, and no passing tax increase bills in house. Here is a step by step plan:
1) Pass the partial extension <$250K and send to Senate, if you like include another bill extending >$250K with it.
2) Get on TV and let voters know you (House Rs) saved (middle class) voters from a tax increase
3) Declare on TV the Obama crisis is over
4) Then daily Beg Obama (show for voters) ON TV to NOT raise taxes on job creators, tell voters you did everything your power to stop him from doing it and why it will be bad for this country.
Don't worry, Voters will automatically give Obama credit for raising those taxes even though they are automatic, he cant get out of that if the economy slows because that was his major campaign promise..
5) Let everything else go over the cliff. No restored spending, no stimulus, no nothing (the debt limit will be another tough fight I wont get into here) .
You made your tax bed Dems.
Republicans, Blame every problem for the next 4 years on those Obama tax increases.
Here's what the House holding back on those <=250K income extensions would bring,
In fact we know exactly how Norquists 's plan would play out from the FICA tax cut fiasco exactly a year ago
1) House Republicans listen to this guy and say ‘ taxes on the middle class will go up unless we get a full extension, for all that income above $250K too. We will not extend them without the others. We dont leave the job producers behind. We won the election.”
2) In January taxes go up (assuming it gets that far)
3) Obama gets on TV and Townhalls telling middle class voters that their taxes are going up because Republicans once again are putting ‘the rich’ ahead of them.
4) MSM hounds Republicans asking them if they are happy they ‘raised taxes’ on the middle class
5) House Republicans get flooded in a tidal wave of angry emails and phone calls from those who voted for them.
They try to go home for a visit and there are angly mobs around their house with signs
“I am sorry I voted for you. You raised my taxes you lying #%%$$”, many are white and 50 + obviously not ACORN.
6) The stock Market tanks
7) House Republicans even the most ‘conservative’ go to Bohner and say “WE made a big mistake. We need to cut those taxes (under$250K income) and put this behind us. My voters want to kill me” just as they did with last years FICA.
8) The House quietly passes the extension in secret just as they did FICA last February.
9) Obama signs it declaring that the Rs finally saw reason
10) The stock market recovers some just because the panic is over sand no one knows that the resulting Obama tax increases hurt the stock market because they think house Rs crashed it and O saved it.
11) Obama gets credit for saving the economy. AGAIN.
12) House Republicans dont challenge O again for the next two years. So the Republican party melts down in civil war. Dems bayonette the R wounded.
13) In 2014 election Reid and Pelosi get back the same numbers they got in 2009.
14) January 2015 Congess passes a bill making Obama King. (no more filibuster to stop it) Republicans blame voter fraud.
Or does anyone think middle class voters will act any differently than they did a year ago on FICA with that coming tax increase?
Get on the offense.
Wery well thought out and totally true.
The problem is you presuppose that the Republicans don’t want the tax increase. That is the one flaw in your logic. I submit that if they didn’t want the things Obama does, they would have stopped him 4 years ago via their constitutional power of the purse.
Why aren’t they offensive. This would really work well. Damnit, bunch of idiots, they probably won’t.
Johnnie will do whatever O wants, and punish anyone
who tries to fight him on it
Oops...”2” years ago following the 10 ascension to power.
Six tax rates, ranging from 10% to 35%, have been in place since 2003, the Bush tax rates:
Tax rates will revert automatically to the following pre-2003 levels unless new legislation is passed:
Extending the Bush tax rates is not the way to go, its just the way the Democrats have framed the argument. Nor is the way to go allowing the rates to revert.
Republicans should pass brand new rates:
Only the highest rate would remain the same as the current level. All other rates would be reduced below their current levels.
Lets see how eager Obama and the Democrats really are to cry about helping the middle class during an economic recovery while demanding that the rich pay their fair share.
Final note. Once the House votes on and passes the new rates in my post #7, they should adjourn for Christmas and go home.
I am pretty sure the House will extend the <=$250K rates and send to Senate by the end of the year, and nothing else. They have no choice.
But until they get off this kick of acting as if passing middle class tax cuts is the same as raising taxes(Norquist terminology) , then will be defendants.
And Bohner helping O raise taxes to lessen the effect of the automatic tax increases is stupid. But he knew that proposal would be rejected.
No. Pass a new bill. A permanent reduction in taxes for all of those making less than $250K. Why a new bill? We want to get rid of EIC. The poor should pay their fair share.
No debt limit increase ever. Shut the mother down!
How about this, pass a bill that cuts taxes on everyone under 250k TO ZERO.
THATS RIGHT CUT THEM TO ZERO.
Passing the under 250K is a must. The problem with your theory after that is the polling and the business community. First you want to obstruct again. The polling shows by 60-30 not negotiating it will be the republicans fault. Second problem is the business community does not want that either. Go against them and lose funding.
What I am about to say will not be popular but I hope it makes sense. The republican brand is damaged. We just got beat pretty good. We lost two senate seats when everyone a year ago thought it was a forgone conclusion we would take the senate over. The conservatives are in fighting with the establishment republicans breaking Reagan’s rule. We have to get past this show the country we can negotiate and begin working to restore our brand or I fear we may not see the White House for a long time. We of course are not going to get anywhere near what we want. We have to start looking long term not just this deal. Just an opinion.
What power would that be?
Four years ago, the Democrats held both houses. San Fran Nan was Speaker. GWB was a lame duck. The Won was cruisin'. He was going to stop the rise of the oceans and heal the planet, don't you recall?
The House should pass the bill they would have passed if Romney had won. Let Harry Reid keep the Senate from voting on it. Let Obama veto it, if he doesn't. The sheeple need to eat their election. Go over the cliff. And let's see what happens in 2014.
Do you know what debt is?
It’s just disgusting to sit here on the RINO deathwatch.
You just know, after all is said and postured, that these clueless jerks are going to do the WRONG thing.
Tax (reform?) legislation without (real) spending reform is a fool’s game that plays into the hands of the (mentally deranged) libs/progressives/socialists.
IF you couple your tax rate proposal with a budget bill that cuts ALL spending to 2000 levels, and a bill establishing zero-based budgeting as the ‘official’ US Federal budgeting process...then trumpet these items on every news feed, twitter feed, and constituent newsletter, loud and long; then, you might have something starting.
It all starts with every one of us arm twisting our elected reps to get on-board with the demands of this harsh reality.
I dont want anything like that passed under Obama anyway but Bohner and CO are determined to make a deal if not now the next two years. Anything O signs will likely be another poison pill.
RE :”IF you couple your tax rate proposal with a budget bill that cuts ALL spending to 2000 levels, and a bill establishing zero-based budgeting as the official US Federal budgeting process...then trumpet these items on every news feed, twitter feed, and constituent newsletter, loud and long; then, you might have something starting.
Except Rs already tried demanding spending cuts for the FICA (SS) tax cuts extension a year ago and got crushed by O (and their own voters).
The problem is that Republicans have an almost religious belief (peaked under GWB) that tax cuts are free(especially their's LOL) , at least they claimed it passionately so they could get tax cuts WHILE increasing spending.
Believe ME I argued that this was not true even in vanities here and I got tons of grief for dissing that Golden Calf, many times using Keysnian stimulus arguments for the FREE tax cuts yet .
So when they demand paying for the lower tax cuts Dems nail them for ‘putting the rich ahead of you’ because one set is free and the other isnt.
Bohner + CO wants future entitlement cuts not onesthe next two years.
House Republicans are already planning on extending the tax cuts <=$250 in separate bill and sending it to the Senate this year as I suggest, and I bet little else with it. They know they need this behind them.
And any Republicans voting against it will have a tough time winning in 2014. they will be putting a gun to their own heads.
I would say that the Romney campaign theme of ‘Rich guys like me are way more important than you voters” campaign (’you voters are moochers’ ) didnt work very well. Now O dictates his terms for Rs surrender in those 'negotiation talks'. This is what stupidity buys.
If Republicans double down on disaster and try to use the middle class tax cuts as hostages to force O to approve of those upper income tax cuts then that WOULD be R party suicide, and they would NEVER be able to hold to it anyway, it would just result in yet another humilating cave as with FICA last year. So they wont do it. Screw Norquist.
Send two tax cut bills bills to the Senate if you like. Problem solved.
The only sensible approach is to pass a bill that gives Obama the tax rates he wants, but also repeals the Affordable Care Act. Pass a new version of the same bill every day and make a big show of having the clerk or Sargent at Arms carry the bill over to the Senate. Make Obama and the Senate dems defend the idea that Obamacare is more important than tax cuts.