Skip to comments.My dog loved them, but BEWARE!!
Posted on 07/26/2005 10:38:04 PM PDT by djf
Just thought I'd share with Freepers a warning.
A few years back, I was able to get ahold of a whole bunch of CA valley wine grapes. I sat in the kitchen, and the mutt, of course who always gets a bit of what I'm eating tried one.
He loved it! So over the next few minutes or so, I ate a couple cups worth, and he must have had twenty or thirty.
Sadly, the hound will have to forego any more grapes. He didn't even get sick, but I find out on the tv tonight grapes and raisins are HIGHLY TOXIC to dogs, and there have been deaths from it.
Who knows? Maybe there is a way a dog can acquire immunity, because Max never suffered any ill effects.
So any hound lovers out there, be careful.
One time I shared my large box of raisins with my Sheltie and it cleaned him out really good... but no death or anything like that.
I heard a rumor that chocolate was toxic for dogs too. Never heard of the grape thing.
Thanks for the warning. I am always reading about foods that are "toxic" to dogs, you know, things mine eat all of the time with no problem! :-) But still, better to know.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, not a rumor.
The warning appears to be legitimate.
One time, I walked out of the room for a minute, and my poodle polished off my Poppycock.
our dogs keep eating the figs and peaches falling off the trees right now. Only thing that happens to them is it gives them gas. Somehow, the dogs don't really seem to care, though.
Mine does tend to like his veggies. He loves peas and corn.
Won't touch rhubarb or onions. I guess onions are also another thing that are pretty bad for dogs.
My wife says Salami is bad for dogs and also chocolate...
Frankly I think all cats should be fed chocolate. IMHO
The trick is to ferment the grapes first and then feed them to him that way.
He'll enjoy them a lot more, too.
Semi sweet chocolate chips made my Sheltie very sick. He was a real chocoholic and got the odd M&M or two, but he got in a grocery bag and found the dark chips. The dark chocolate is MUCH worse than milk.
I had a long haired chihuahua/Pom mix who ate M&M's every day of his life. Lived to be almost 19. Go figure.
No chocolate is probably best, but that dark kind is the worst.
Never knew about grapes and raisins. Good to know for future reference. Thanks!
Pffft. Cats and dogs are both wonderful creatures.
Hey my dad gave my late dog beer LOL!
My cousin had a corgi/hound mix who was a true party hound. He loved to go around, after parties, and finish all the drinks. That dog was hysterical when he was drunk! We took his pic amid a pile of party debris and wine bottles. A real character-lived a long time too!
When I was a kid, my Lab absolutely loved marshmallows.
Everyone needs a good bender once in a while!!
My dogs, George and Kramer, chewed the cover off an old Springsteen album, then they peed on the record. They had no ill effects. (Not from the album cover; from all the treats I gave them.)
Also, sighthounds are extremely sensitive to hops and can be poisoned by them.
[hops are the plant used to brew beer]
The miserable things grow wild here and it's a constant battle to eradciate them.