Skip to comments.Americans Manufacturing, Keeping and Bearing Arms
Posted on 09/26/2013 12:09:35 PM PDT by bunkerhill7
Americans Manufacturing, Keeping and Bearing Arms & the Sons of Liberty from the 18th Century British records: [Montresor`s Journals]=
"The Montresor Journals", Volume 14 By John Montrésor, James Gabriel Montrésor
"Allicock, Head of the Sons of Liberty, is the son of a mulattoe woman..." p 368
1766 "'29th Seventeen hundred of The Levelers [Sons of Liberty] with firearms are collected at Poughkeepie." p376
1766 "11th A considerable mob asssembled on the Common, consisting of 2 or 3000 Sons of Liberty..the Tree of Liberty...when the mob drew instantly out of their pockets a case of pistols each."
Even Tories had the right to bear arms in 1777= 1777 April "11th the Country people daily escaping thro the Rebels and coming in with their arms." p421
1777 Sept. "24th Weather delightful. 4 or 5 shots exchanged between our [British] forging parties and the rebels about 9 this morning. Early this morning our pickets in the fear fired at some straggling rebels. This township of Norrington is very rebellious. All the manufactures about this country seem to consist of Powder, Ball, Shot, firearms and swords. The army halted this day."
1777 Nov. "6th ...Quarter Master General received orders to fix our Quarters near this city, intended for 10,000 men. Gun powder found lodged in Chimneys of this city by the rebels." [Philadelphia] p.474
(Excerpt) Read more at books.google.com ...
Gideon Scull was born at Great Egg Harbor, April 27,1756. He died at Sculltown, Salem County, New Jersey on April 20, 1825. In early manhood he sold his share of the paternal estate at Great Egg Harbor, New Jersey to his brother, Mark Scull. Gideon removed to what was then known as Lockerton, originally named from the descendants of the early Swedish clergyman Lars Karlsson Lock. The settlement was located at the head of navigation on Oldman's Creek, eighteen miles from its mouth, and on the line of Gloucester County. Here he became its leading merchant and was succeeded by his son in 1825. He owned a line of packet boats which operated between Sculltown and Philadelphia. He also built a blacksmith shop which was rented to various smiths, and the old forge was many years a land mark. In honor of the Scull family, prominent citizens and large property holders, the town was called Sculltown for about 60 years before changing to the present day name of Auburn.
Gideon Scull and his family were members of Pilesgrove Monthly Meeting of Friends, and his wife Sarah James Scull was a recommended minister in the Society. In the division in Pilesgrove Meeting, 1827-1828, the Orthodox branch was weaker than that of the Hicksites and the old house of worship was fromally transferred to the stronger group. Gideon Scull gave the land on which was erected the unpretentious frame meeting house still standing at Woodstown, on Union Street near Elm, with reversion of the land to his descendants should the meeting house be no longer used for worship by the Orthodox branch of the Society.
He married, at Salem Meeting, April 29, 1784, Sarah James, born August 24 1759; died April 20, 1836; buried in Meetinghouse graveyard at Woodstown, New Jersey; daughter of James James and his wife Abigail Lawrence. The children of this marriage became influential in different walks of life. Several of the sons made their mark as successful business men.
What caliber of men our forefathers and what wimps we are in comparison.
Yes. It was about much more than a tea tax. There’s much more, too (property rights, kidnappings, etc.).
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.