Skip to comments.Election Certified in Violation of Agency Rules
Posted on 01/18/2005 2:47:33 PM PST by swilhelm73
It's not only common sense that dictates you can't certify an election unless the number of ballots matches the number of voters. There is even a Secretary of State agency rule that mandates as much. Somehow the election was certified even though it's pretty clear that King County didn't even come close to reconciling their ballot and voter numbers. The following "emergency rule" was issued on August 24, 2004:
WAC 434-253-204 Precinct or poll site ballot reconciliation -- Precinct count optical scan and direct recording devices. Poll site ballots shall be reconciled in the following manner:
(1) Each precinct or poll site ballot counter shall print out results immediately following the closing of the polls. A copy of the results will be posted at the poll site or otherwise made available for public inspection.
(2) The total of votes cast from each counter shall be reconciled with the number of signatures in the poll book(s) prior to transporting to the counting center. The total number of ballots reported on the results printout should equal the number of signatures in the poll book(s). Discrepancies shall be reported and explained by the Inspector.
(3) In a sealed container, the data pack/chip of each ballot counter shall be transported to the counting center with each results printout.
(4) The number of ballots issued should equal the number of ballots counted plus any ballots not counted. Ballots not counted may include, but not be limited to: Provisional ballots, ballots referred to the canvassing board, ballots to be enhanced or duplicated, ballots with write-in votes, any out-sorted ballots, spoiled ballots.
(5) Any discrepancies must be investigated. At a minimum, the following areas must be checked until the discrepancy is resolved:
(a) Check the accuracy of the ballot accountability form.
(b) Recount the signatures in the poll book.
(c) Ballot counter/direct recording device results.
(d) Check the spoiled ballots.
(e) Check the provisional ballots.
(f) Count the ballot stubs.
(g) Check the poll site supplies for ballots.
(h) Manually count the number of ballots.
(i) Call the poll workers.
(6) All steps to reconcile each precinct shall be documented, including any discrepancies that cannot be resolved. Reconciliation of all precincts shall be completed and presented to the county canvassing board before the election may be certified.
For whatever reason, King County determined it was unnecessary to comply with this agency rule. But it did everything possible to comply with the agency rule allowing everybody and their dog to register at the county administration building.
hat tip: Bob Williams of the Evergreen Freedom Foundation and the Croker Sack blog
Thanks for posting this article. I understand Stefan Sharkansky was on Fox's News with Brit Hume the other night. I don't get cable so didn't get to see it.
The Washington State message board is very active and is keeping up with all thats going on.
First Court hearing that Dino Rossi brought is this Thursday in Chelan County.
The clown that certified the election was a Republican.
The clown was a RINO
A clown who will now have to switch parties, and run as the Rat he has always been.
I was always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that recent comment regarding Katherine Harris crossed the line...
I think he's a democrat who had an (R) next to his name of the ballot.
I for one will NEVER vote for him again.
What a miscarriage of justice. Unbelievable. Welcome to the new world order.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.