Skip to comments.New Evidence that Childhood Family Factors Influence Sexual Orientation
Posted on 12/19/2006 9:45:14 PM PST by freedomdefender
COPENHAGEN, November 29, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A major study published last month in the prestigious peer-reviewed journal, Archives of Sexual Behavior, provides striking new evidence for the influence of childhood family factors on sexual-orientation development.
The study used a population-based sample of 2,000,355 native-born Danes between the ages of 18 and 49. Denmark -- a country noted for its tolerance of a wide variety of alternative lifestyles, including homosexual partnerships -- was the first country to legalize gay marriage. The researchers assessed detailed marriage records for all Danish-born men and women marrying a same-sex partner from the years 1989 through 2001.
With access to the "virtually complete registry coverage of the entire Danish population," the study sample therefore lacked the problematic selection bias that has plagued many previous studies on sexual orientation.
Parental Influences on Sexual Orientation Development
The authors conclude: "Our study provides population-based, prospective evidence that childhood family experiences are important determinants of heterosexual and homosexual marriage decisions in adulthood."
Assuming that people who marry heterosexually are almost always heterosexual -- especially in a country where homosexuality carries little stigma, and gay marriage is legal -- and people who marry homosexually can be presumed to be homosexual, the study's findings offer intriguing evidence about family factors separating homosexual from heterosexual persons.
The following are findings from this new data:
- Men who marry homosexually are more likely to have been raised in a family with unstable parental relationships -- particularly, absent or unknown fathers and divorced parents.
- Findings on women who marry homosexually were less pronounced, but were still associated with a childhood marked by a broken family. The rates of same-sex marriage "were elevated among women who experienced maternal death during adolescence, women with short duration of parental marriage, and women with long duration of mother-absent cohabitation with father."
- Men and women with "unknown fathers" were significantly less likely to marry a person of the opposite sex than were their peers with known fathers.
- Men who experienced parental death during childhood or adolescence "had significantly lower heterosexual marriage rates than peers whose parents were both alive on their 18th birthday. The younger the age of the father's death, the lower was the likelihood of heterosexual marriage."
- "The shorter the duration of parental marriage, the higher was the likelihood of homosexual marriage...homosexual marriage rates were 36% and 26% higher among men and women, respectively, who experienced parental divorce after less than six years of marriage, than among peers whose parents remained married for all 18 years of childhood and adolescence."
- "Men whose parents divorced before their 6th birthday were 39% more likely to marry homosexually than peers from intact parental marriages."
- "Men whose cohabitation with both parents ended before age 18 years had significantly (55% -76%) higher rates of homosexual marriage than men who cohabited with both parents until 18 years."
- The mother's age was directly linked to the likelihood of homosexual marriage among men -- the older the mother, the more likely her son was to marry another man. Also, "only children" were more likely to be homosexual.
- Persons born in large cities were significantly more likely to marry a same-sex partner -- suggesting that cultural factors might also affect the development of sexual orientation.
"Whatever ingredients determine a person's sexual preferences and marital choices," conclude the study's authors, "our population-based study shows that parental interactions are important."
Reference:"Childhood Family Correlates of Heterosexual and Homosexual Marriages: A National Cohort Study of Two Million Danes," by Morten Frisch and Anders Hviid, Archives of Sexual Behavior Oct 13, 2006
Oh, the irony.
This report pretty well backs up the idea that the best adjusted folks come from a loving home with a father and mother.
But the queers want to promote families with two mommies or two daddies. What a great way to "grow" their population.
Expand on that...
Rock Hudson was considered a "dreamboat".
Rock and roll was ushered out in favor of Calypso (which made stars out of angry agitator Harry Belafonte and Calypso Louis Fahrakhan), heroin junkie beop jazz musicians, communist folkie music (Pete Seegar et al), and gay poster idols like Tab Hunter.
Elvis and Jerry Lee may have married them young but they did get married and were heterosexual.
Yoda is female. And doesn't wear panties.
Trust me, you don't want to see the pics.
So would being a member of the Baptist Church. Then again with all the Baptists I know in therapy trying to figure out the insanity of their parents, I guess it's a MD by default.
Wow, rich, successful, brainy? What's wrong with that.
Reminds me of something I heard once, I believe it had been written on the wall in a women's room: "My mother made me a lesbian", and underneath it was "If I give her the wool, will she make me one, too?"
Wow, talk about having old age creeping up on you. LOL! I think you need to find someone a little younger and more hip.
Oh, but they are phobes and bigots.
I think it's almost an Oedipus problem that certain mothers have. They want to keep their boys forever, and they can't stand the thought of him with a future woman. So they "fem" them up so they won't be too attractive... always dependent on others.
At least Elvis started out "normal". Not sure why the glam-thing happened in his later years.
Too many pills.
A rational society would classify it as a fetish, like feet or leather. So long as the affected person did not suffer or harm others, it would not be classified as a disorder. Instead of this rational approach, however, we've chosen to swing from one extreme to the other -- now homosexuality is an "identity," like Jim McGreevy the "gay American." Had we been more rational, that would've been as remarkable as Joe Schmoe the "foot-sniffing American," Hans Kent, the "American Who Likes to Wear Women's Underwear But Only in the Bedroom," or James Hammel, "the American Who Prefers Blondes."
Sounds like "crazy talk" to me.
I've often heard that the type of men who "marry young" do so because sexually undeveloped girls look like boys. Mr. Lewis divorced Myra when she was 26, mature but not yet at her sexual peak. Most women who spent intimate time with Elvis say he wasn't sexually interested in them, except for sometimes their feet and toes.
Homosexual Agenda Ping
Click FreeRepublic homosexual agenda keyword search for a list of all related articles.
Add keywords homosexual agenda to flag FR articles to this ping list.
Kermit is a woman too? Oh God, what have I done to please you so?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.