Skip to comments.The Tears of Clowns (A bummed MSNBC)
Posted on 09/05/2008 3:21:45 AM PDT by nickcarraway
If you watched MSNBC on mute Wednesday night after Sarah Palins speech, it looked like the top story was that a hurricane swept through the North Pole and killed Santa Claus, so crestfallen were the networks stars. It was the same with the sound up. Keith Olbermanns first words after the applause in the Xcel Center finally died down were, That appears to be the end of it. He sounded relieved.
The same man who literally couldnt find anything wrong with Barack Obamas speech in Denver last week calling it spellbinding, fully realized and tough found that the best he could say of Palins speech was, People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
Chris Matthews, who gets thrills up his leg when Obama speaks, sounded shell-shocked. Well, I have to say that I was completely surprised by what I saw, he said, without an ounce of enthusiasm. She is a torpedo aimed directly at the ship of Barack and Michelle Obama. Thats what she is. Shes an alternative to them. This is not an alternative to Hillary. This is a cultural alternative to Obama and his proposed First Lady. This is a very direct cultural shot.
After hed had a moment to compose himself, Olbermann tried to come up with a better reaction. Of the speech, he said there was some condescension in there towards Obama. Condescension is an interesting word. Heres a woman who was belittled for being a small-town mayor by a guy who described small-town people as clinging to their guns and religion because theyre bitter. And yet, when she hits him back, shes the condescending one.
It wasnt just MSNBCs anchors who were struggling to respond. On the floor of the convention center, a visibly depressed Andrea Mitchell interviewed a beaming Rudy Giuliani about Palins speech. Some context: Last week, reporting from among the Democratic delegates at Invesco Field, Mitchell relayed the reaction of the delegates to some of Obamas best lines, literally shouting, Whooee! Whooee! into the camera.
But there would be no sharing in the Republican delegates joy over Palins speech for Mitchell. Instead, after her interview with Rudy was over (sample question: And you dont think shes vulnerable on the size and scale of her executive experience and the brevity of her political experience?), she stared dead-eyed into the camera and said, The war has begun.
Some might say the war actually began when the media decided to aggressively pursue every smear against Palin the left-wing blogosphere could think up. First, they questioned the maternity of Palins son, Trig, after a left-wing blog accused Palin of faking the pregnancy to cover for her daughter, Bristol. This forced the campaign to make a very private matter Bristols real pregnancy public. (Bristols pregnancy predates Trigs birth by two months, proving shes not his mother.)
The latest smear is an attempt to paint Palin as an anti-Semite. Two weeks ago, the executive director of a group called Jews for Jesus spoke at Palins church. Her pastor says she was in church that day. The guest speaker made some controversial comments and insinuated that the conflict in the Middle East is attributable to Gods judgment of unbelief. So, just to be clear: This was a guest speaker, not a man that Palin sought out, befriended, and received spiritual guidance from for over 20 years.
Nevertheless, the newest addition to MSNBCs prime-time line-up, Air America radio host Rachel Maddow, was quick to imbue this story with grave portent Wednesday night after Palins speech. Was she sitting in the pew in her church in Wasilla two weeks ago when a speaker said that the Israelis deserves terrorist attacks because Jews are unbelievers in Christ? Maddow said. I mean, there are tough questions shes going to have to answer.
Maybe so. Maybe someday, the medias campaign to bury Sarah Palin will yield something more substantial than the smears and innuendo weve seen so far. Maybe somewhere, a left-wing blogger is closely inspecting a JPEG that will sink McCains campaign. But there is no joy in MSNBC-ville mighty Sarah has struck back.
I’m starting to think that MSNBC’s audience is made up of MSNBC employees, who then go on-air and talk about what they’ve just seen.
Is Chrissie talking about Biden???
TV VIEWERS FOR PALIN, 10 PM ET
Everytime I see that scumbag Olbermann on a Football broadcast I change the channel until he’s gone.
I can testify to this. Immediately after this interview my phone rang and it was a good friend of mine who asked me if he was imagining it or was Mitchell about to start crying during her interview with Giuliani? Palin has stunned the liberals and you can expect them to double down on their vicious attacks on her. However as seen by everyone, this woman is anything but a shrinking Violet and in fact seems to actually grow in the face of the attacks on her.
On CNN, a visibly shaken and speechless Wolf Blitzer suddenly developed a craving for country music and requested an immediate camera with audio cut to the band playing on stage saying let’s listen to this country music... this is some we haven’t heard. I figured he needed time to get over the shock and get his new talking points from DNC as Palin’s homerun changed the previously dictated script. I haven’t seen him so near the verge of tears since Bush got the winning electoral votes for the 2nd term.
“the newest addition to MSNBCs prime-time line-up, Air America radio host Rachel Maddow,”
..... I suppose we can next expect Bill Ayers to get hired as a color commentator.
This householding watched on CSPAN.
Chrissie wants to have B. Hussein’s baby.
Good point - after belittling Saracuda's position as Mayor and even mispronouncing it so the end sounded "silly", Obama and his campaign have the gall to bitch about her explaining that a Mayor differs from an "organizer" in that a Mayor has responsibilities, because that "demeans Barry's work in the community".
Not even See B.S. could contain the damage Sarah Palin did to the good ship make believe. They have it flat even at 42 which means 16 undecideds. The undecideds aren’t. Most of them are probably bradley effect voters.
I liked Brit Hume. After reading a canned response from the Obama campaign, he looked at the camera and said well maybe they’ll have something more original to say after they have had time to think about it.
I won't watch pre-game or half time show until he is off the show it's called choice.
Yup! Real warriors rise up when the battle gets hot.
I watched Matthews on TV yesterday. He said nothing but nice things about Sarah and got in a few jabs at Olberman.
He also stated that he believed she could be President one day.
YES SHE CAN
GO SARAH GO SARAH GO SARAH
That “country music” was Gretchen Wilson - singing the National Anthem.
Guess it WAS some(thing) HE hasn't heard.
Here is the YouTube clip of Mitchell’s interview w/Giuliani. She obviously isn’t a happy camper. LOL!
Hey Keith! You can only dream of ratings like O'Reilly!
"Keith! You're a LOOOOOSER!!! "
MSNBC bias from last night
Maddox keep her on the minor league circut she has not been before the national press
ODonnel well have to see if it was too sharp in terms of tone
Brokaw [Just read all the Democrat critical talking points on Palin from a sheet of paper, hes bitter in tone]
Brokaw I was struck by the attacks on the media
Brokaw they dont do that by accident [yep Tom Its because they love America]
ODonnel at times this was sarcastic
Mitchell (to Rudy)shes going after the very people you represent
Mitchell is she vulnerable on the size and scale and brevity of her experience
Mitchell the game is on Keith, the war has begun
Olberman is that the right tone
Olberman did the expected dynamics of the Vice Presidential Debate change[like dealing with reality? Keith?]
Olberman Bristol Palin holding her brother Trig
Maddox thats what the PTA Mom stuff is about
Maddox shes got to be likable enough to overshadow that
Mitchell Do you think the Republican should really go after Democrats
Mitchell how do you compare Palin against Obama [because Biden can’t come close?]
Mitchell Sarah Palin comes with no (bla-bla-bla) experience
Curry Bristol holding the baby
Curry Bristol is there, so is her boyfriend [just had to include red meat for MSNBC employees like Shivers Matthews]
Brokaw (on Romney) he has been a member of the eastern capitol [little jealous fella?]
Brokaw alls fair in love and war and at political conventions[coming from an MSNBC employee, we know who Toms in the tank with, Obama]
MSNBC Olberman now trying to insult Sarah Palin on her geographical travel, most likely she hasnt done a lot, but it dont matter Keith, Americans Love Sarah, and are getting wiser to you
Ron Allen [the guy Newt scrambled last night] only been out of the country I think once[Obviously doesnt know facts, but the bias shows. Who ya in the tank for? Ron?]
Buchanan will it send a tingle up your leg
Matthews I always report (what I feel in the hall)paraphrased
Matthews without casting any moral judgment on this
Matthews dig up stuff on the people who would rule this nation[Your finally going to tell us about Obama?]
Matthews some good reporter does that job[MSNBC has yet to hire one of those]
Unknown round table MSNBC staff seated next to Buchanan wouldnt pass the smell test [obviously shaken][found out it was Rachel Maddox]
MSNBC Rachel Maddox was about to go on about abortion, but I think they cut her short on purpose
Mitchell speech modified from some unknown VP pick(?), made less masculine
Brokaw controversial choice
Matthews Gov Palin as David, us as Goliath
Maddox(last nite) the word ‘Bush’ was not spoken(by any of the speakers)
MSNBC guest Congressmen Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) we know what Obamas judgment on these issues, hes been asked questions on the campaign trail
Von Holland We didnt hear from them last nite on the economy
Von Holland Barak has talked about his vision for the last 18 months
Von Holland McCain rushed to judgment(on VP pick)[good, we got a winner with that rushed judgment]
Matthews no one doubts Palin is a political rookie [Shivers Goliath Matthews]
Maddox is still trying to make a big deal out of vetting[and she is even meaner tonite]
ODonnel admission well she has had a little experience as an executive
[Challenge for Olberman]
[Olberman reads a statement about the personal attacks on the Palin Family]
Olberman there no one I can think of that said anything like that
I can, just last nite your buddy, Shivers Goliath Matthews, Olberman- go back and check your MSNBC show last night at just prior to this time stamp, Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:14:32 PM:
To: Mr. Binnacle
Oh God, MSNBC, now Shivers Matthews cant get over attacking the Palin Family, cant win on Ideas, Shivers?
2,660 posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:14:32 PM by Son House
Andrea Mitchell's face got even longer than usual.
You can dish it out, but you can't take it, eh, Tom?
“I liked Brit Hume. After reading a canned response from the Obama campaign, he looked at the camera and said well maybe theyll have something more original to say after they have had time to think about it.”
I caught that too. It’s why he’s the best anchorman on televison.
MSN has become such a joke. Maybe that’s why almost no one is watching. Drudge says nearly 3 times as many people have watched Fox during the convention. I suspect only angry lefties, like the scum who interrupted McCain, are the ones watching.
Ping for later.
There is no shortage of leftists. Underestimating the number of them would be a mistake. Besides being comprised of loonie-lefties, MSNBC merely caters to that audience. MSNBC is an excellent bellwether for "progressive" reaction, lies, half-truths, and lines of argument.
I watched the same network after Sarah Palin's speech, just for that reason. Andrea Mitchell looked like she was on depressants - Nora O'Donnell was at first enthused by the speech, but soon picked up the contact "anti-buzz" from her peers in the network, that she needed to find ways to criticize.
That video of Mitchell is priceless!
Rachel, before you speak you must remove Hillary’s pubic hairs from your mouth, otherwise we just can’t understand your guttural utterances!
Thanks for this information.
Keith Olbermann-Rachel Maddow’s bitch!
I just HATE it went folks do that!
16. Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt?
17. And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert?
18. And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed ?
19. So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.
2. God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don't you know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah--how he appealed to God against Israel:
3. "Lord, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars; I am the only one left, and they are trying to kill me" ?
4. And what was God's answer to him? "I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal."
5. So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace.
6. And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
7. What then? What Israel sought so earnestly it did not obtain, but the elect did. The others were hardened,
8. as it is written: "God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes so that they could not see and ears so that they could not hear, to this very day."
9. And David says: "May their table become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them.
10. May their eyes be darkened so they cannot see, and their backs be bent forever."
11. Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious.
12. But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their fullness bring!
13. I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I make much of my ministry
14. in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.
15. For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?
16. If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.
17. If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root,
18. do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.
19. You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in."
20. Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid.
21. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.
22. Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.
23. And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.
24. After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!
25. I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in.
26. And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.
Or GLOW!! ;^)
You could tell that the Republican closing of the gender gap addled her brain as she spoke these words, "Mayor Rudith Giul...."
I’m with the YouTube poster that said she was on a ton of Valuim.
That’s not depression, that’s medication. Valuim or Xanax, she was swallowing them like M&Ms.
I worked Psych, I know the look and she has it, big time.
(Bookmarked for posterity.)
I bet I can find that!
"The game is on: the war has begun."
1. Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:
2. "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?
3. Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me.
Everyone is searching for a tape of AM at the Dem convention.
I saw that, too. And he delivered it with a great deadpan look. Classic Hume.
"Decision process of hiring her is shocking"
"This has been greeted with such shock."
"It's becoming less possible by the hour that Palin will be John McCain's nominee by the end of the week"
To sum up what Maddow said: The RNC "has a very short time frame" in which to get rid of her before she accepts the nomination.
She could have that look from seeing AL “Buck Nked” every
Olbermann is the DU’s hero. And that’s who he plays to.
I’ve stopped watching the football broadcasts until he’s off. Rush Limbaugh is unacceptable, but Olbermann is? Who the heck thinks they’re running this country?
“like the scum who interrupted McCain, are the ones watching.”
Can’t those loathesome people shut up for twenty minutes? They are so full of themselves, they think they are more important than McCain’s speech. We know your opinions, lefties, now stuff a rag in it.
Probably the only way she could stomach being amongst so many right-wing Republicans.......
Those quotes in post #21 were from Wednesday
I’ll wager Andrea Mitchell’s in grief counseling now.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.