Skip to comments.
| Sept 6 2008
Posted on 09/06/2008 5:52:10 PM PDT by bahblahbah
Cripes, this has gotten ridiculous. Folks, look, lets just run through a list here. (Updated.)
- Yes, she is Governor of Alaska. No, shes not the Lieutenant Governor. No, shes not currently Mayor of Wasilla. Yes, she was Mayor of Wasilla, some years ago.
- Yes, there are people in Alaska who think shes too liberal.
- Yes, she did push for and approve the Wasilla Sports Center. Yes, it did cost a lot of money. (People keep saying $20 million, that article says $14.5 million, but then they also added a $1.2 million dollar food service/kitchen piece. This year, since Palin was out of office as Mayor.) Yes, the city went into debt to do it (how did you buy your house, bunkie?) and raised the city sales tax from 2 percent to 2.5 percent to pay for it. Yes, the city is paying it off early.
- Yes, she did want authority to have wolves culled from the air, because they were taking too many moose and caribou. Which people hunt for food in the back country in Alaska. No, she isnt shooting them herself. I mean, not that she couldnt, but Im sure she doesnt have time. (Thanks to bluemerlin in the comments.)
- No, the Downs baby (Trig) isnt Bristols kid, and no, the kid wasnt born with Downs because (a) Palin flew on an airplane (b) went home to have the baby after an amniotic leak (c) because he was the result of incest between Todd Palin and Bristol.
- No, Track (the kid who is leaving for Iraq) didnt join the NG because he was a drug addict. He may have joined the NG because he was tired of people saying his Mom was getting him into the good hockey leagues. (Yes, that one was original reporting. Ive got sources in Wasilla.)
- No, shes never been in any porn as far as anyone can find (and God knows I get enough google hits on those very topics.)
- No, no one seems to be able to even find swimsuit pictures of her from her beauty queen days; God knows I looked. The bikini pictures that are around are photoshopped, just like the Vogue cover I have up.
- No she wasnt a member of the (wild-eyed libertarian) Alaska independence Party, although her husband once was
- No, neither the (Canadian) National Post, nor Marc Armbinder at the Atlantic have troubled themselves to issue a correction. Yes, the New York Times did finally correct their story of September 1 on September 5. This was after Elizabeth Bumiller was quoted by Howard Kurtz as saying she was completely confident about the story. Yes, that was after the New York Timess source retracted the story. Yes, this should embarrass the Times, Bumiller, and Howard Kurtz. No, there have been no signs of embarrassment.
- No, she was never a Pat Buchanan supporter; even when Buchanan claims she was, she was on the board of Steve Forbesa campaign in Alaska.
- No, shes not anti-semitic. In fact, she has an Israeli flag in her office. (Contrary to popular belief, the usual Evangelical thinks Israel has a right to exist, granted by God.)
- No, shes doesnt believe that the Iraq War was directed by God. Yes, she did pray that proceeding with the war was Gods will. (Ever hear the phrase Not my will, but Thine, be done?)
- No, Buchanan doesnt support her now; in fact hes supporting Obama. (Buchanan did think her speech was amazing, but then so do 80 percent of the people who saw it.) Or maybe not. Buchanan sure doesnt like McCAin though.
- yes, she was pregnant when she got married
- No, so far theres no confirmation she had an affair while she was married, and theyve denied it pretty strongly. No, she wouldnt be the first Christian woman who got a little on the side, if it were true.
- No, she wasnt named as a co-respondent in a divorce; theres no evidence she had an affair with her husbands business partner. The partner tried to have his divorce records sealed because he was being harrassed by journalists who used them to get his phone number.
- Yes, barring
immaculate conception virgin birth (whatever), Bristol appears to have had sex with her fiancee. No, Bristol didnt receive only abstinence-only sex ed.
- Yes, I have it on reliable report that
Sarah Levis mom has been heard screaming Way to go Levi! at her future son-in-law son. No, it doesnt appear to have been when Bristol broke the news to her family. Note: I originally understood this story to be about Sarah, not Levis mom, in the context of hockey games. As such, its shouldnt be in a Sarah Palin Rumors story, but I like the story too much to delete it.
- yes, her 17 year old daughter is pregnant; no, the babys father is not an eighth grader; no, having sex at 16 is not statutory rape in Alaska
- yes, she did fire the public safety guy but he said in the Anchorage paper that, for the record, she never, and no one else in her administration ever, tried to make him fire her ex-brother-in-law
- and yes, the state trooper (her sisters ex-husband) she was worried about did: tase her 10 year old nephew; drive his state patrol car while drinking or drunk; did threaten to bring her down; and did threaten to murder her father and sister if they dared to get an attorney to help with the divorce.
- yes, the state trooper was suspended when he was put under a court protective order
- no, the trooper wasnt fired
- yes, she did fire the Wasilla Chief of Police as Mayor; yes, it was because he was lying to the City Council.
- Yes, she did try to cut her own salary as Mayor by $4000 a year; yes, she had voted against the $4000 a year raise while on the City Council.
- No, she didnt cut funding for unwed mothers; yes, she did increase it by only 354 percent instead of 454 percent, as part of a multi-year capital expenditures program. No, the Washington Post doesnt appear to have corrected their story. Even after this was pointed out in the comments on the story.
- No, she didnt cut special needs student funding; yes, she did raise it by only 175 percent.
- yes, she did try, clearly unsuccessfully, to get Bristol married off to her fiancee before the story came out
- yes, she did ask the librarian if some books could be withdrawn because of being offensive; no, they couldnt; yes she did threaten to fire the librarian a month later; no, that wasnt over the books thing but instead over administrative issues; no, the librarian wasnt fired either; yes, the librarian was a big supporter of one of her political opponents; yes, the librarian was also the girlfriend of the Chief of police mentioned above; no, this is not the first time in the history of civilization that someone has been threatened with being fired over a political dispute
- No the list of books she wanted to ban thats being passed around isnt real; among other things, it includes a number of books published after her time in office there.
- No, that hasnt actually deterred people from claiming it really is true even if the list isnt correct. For example:
This list might not in fact reflect the books Sarah Palin wanted banned. As more than one person in Comments has pointed out, some of them were not published when Palin was in office. It is my hope that the mainstream media will not let this story drop and that at some point an actual list will surface. The very thought of having someone who once advocated book-banning possibly occupying one of the highest offices of our land fills me with profound dread. It should fill you with dread too.
- No, I dont understand why a fake list is supposed to fill me with dread, either.
- no, it wasnt a shotgun wedding; Bristol and Levi been engaged for a good while according to his mother. It was either an accident or just an unconventional order.
shes an was an Assembly of God Holy Roller. No, she doesnt attend an AoG church now. Yes, she did leave the AoG because they were getting too weird for her.
- No, shes not anti-Mormon. No, not all AoG churches are anti-Mormon. (AoG is even more hard-core about allowing each pastor and congregation to make their own decisions than the Baptists are.) (Thanks to AnonAmom in the comments.)
- No, shes not from another planet. No, I havent actually heard that one yet, but you wait.
- yes, she apparently believes in some variant of Intelligent Design
- no, she didnt try to force the schools to teach it; she said if someone brought it up, it was an appropriate subject for debate.
- No, she doesnt believe in abstinence only education. Yes, she thinks abstinence is an effective way of preventing pregnancy. Duh. Yes, she believes kids should learn about condom use in schools.
- yes, she kills animals and eats them, and wears their skins
- yes, she was a beauty contest contestant
- yes, she was once a sportscaster
- yes, she has a college degree in Journalism, but I wont hold that against her, as she seems to have found honest work as well
- yes, she sometimes wears her hair up; no thats not a beehive
- yes, her husband is Not A White Person (hes a Yupik; an Eskimo but not an Inuit as my Inuit cousins have taken some pains to explain)
- yes, she has on occasion tried to get money from the federal government.
- yes, she did finally turn down the money for the bridge. Yes, that meant changing her mind about it.
- yes, she was vetted extensively, not just in three days Ive got links to press reports about people coming to Wassila on 29 May, and we had her on our Veepstakes at PJM from the first day we ran it.
- yes, she want to a bunch of colleges before getting a degree. No, thats not illegal. Yes, she seems to have made something of herself anyway.
- no, they didnt talk to a lot of the Rs power structure during the vetting; that probably has to do with the fact that she beat them in elections and sent a bunch of them to jail.
- Yes, Sarah Palins acceptance speech was written by a speechwriter. Duh. No, none of Obamas, McCains, nor Bidens speeches were impromptu off the cuff things either.
- Yes, she did put the Governors plane on eBay. No, thats not how it was finally sold. Yes, McCain did say it wrong. Bad McCain.
- No, Sarah Palin doesnt have such control of Alaskans that people are afraid to say bad things about her. (What, are you nuts? Look at this list.) No, I dont think its likely that she called Obama Sambo. (Good God, man, Im ten years older than her and I barely remember Little Black Sambo.) Yes, Im sure there are people who dont like her Ive talked with some myself.
- No, shes not a global warming denier, and when the crush dies down remind me to explain why the very phrasing global warming denier is anti-scientific, anti-intellectual, and a clear sign of a desire to impose your beliefs by coercion. But in the mean time, while I do believe that she has expressed some skepticism that warming is wholly human-caused, the existence of the Alaska Climate Change Sub-Cabinet and the Alaska Climate Change Strategy work demonstrate that shes considering the problem and has brought together people more expert than she to advise her.
TOPICS: News/Current Events; Politics/Elections; US: Alaska
KEYWORDS: mccainpalin; sarahpalin; smearcampaign
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-20, 21-31 next last
posted on 09/06/2008 6:03:08 PM PDT
posted on 09/06/2008 6:06:02 PM PDT
("Those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it")
posted on 09/06/2008 6:07:00 PM PDT
(A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well,.)
Is flip-flopping OK if it’s a conservative doing it?
posted on 09/06/2008 6:08:50 PM PDT
(Election year.....Who we gonna hate, in '08?)
THANK YOU for posting this!
posted on 09/06/2008 6:09:19 PM PDT
(Obama?Bye-den!|Iran Azadi|5yst3m 0wn3d-it's N0t Y0ur5 (SONY)|ObamasUnity=EinVolk,EinReich,EinFuhrer)
So we are now up to 55 smears on the list.
At this point there have been so many bogus anti Palin smears that they don’t really have much effect. In fact, if they do have an effect it is to make her appear the underdog and rally the masses to support her. You’d think someone working from the Sal Alinsky play book would realize this is a loosing strategy for him.
The good news is, we can now conveniently respond to anti Palin smears by simply siting the number from the list, such as: “That smear is just a repeat of #28 but referring to melanoma survivors.” Thanks for the post.
posted on 09/06/2008 6:10:03 PM PDT
(Illegal Immigration is not about the immigration. Gun control is not about the guns.)
Funny screen name, btw.
posted on 09/06/2008 6:10:08 PM PDT
Great post! Thanks for that.
posted on 09/06/2008 6:11:58 PM PDT
(The right pick!)
I’ll be using this... thank you!
posted on 09/06/2008 6:12:10 PM PDT
(Pray for our side!)
Is this how crazy it has gotten .
The OBama cultists and the Obama media are Insane.
posted on 09/06/2008 6:12:12 PM PDT
Excellent list of facts and debunked rumor.
Of further interest, the latest wild rumor being pushed at DU is about a waitress named “Lucille” at an unnamed restaurant overhearing Palin say about Obama beating Clinton in the Democratic primary: Sambo beat the bitch! and then supposedly laughing ruacously with whoever was supposed to be eating there. “Lucille” claims that Sambo is a common word for African Americans in Alaska.
posted on 09/06/2008 6:21:44 PM PDT
“No, no one seems to be able to even find swimsuit pictures of her from her beauty queen days; God knows I looked. The bikini pictures that are around are photoshopped, just like the Vogue cover I have up.”
Probably not much call in Alaska for swimsuits, much less bikinis.
"41. yes, she kills animals and eats them, and wears their skins"
As opposed to hiring someone else to do her killing and skinning for her, as most Americans do
posted on 09/06/2008 6:39:09 PM PDT
(W.W.J.B.D. - "What Would Jack Bauer Do?")
To counter all the rumors on the MSM - Maybe we should have a Palin Folklore website. Much like the folklore books about heroes of the Frontier and Old West that were so popular in the late 1800s. We could all use our creative skills to write flatering but untrue stories about Governor Sarah Palin in the Wilds of Alaska.
Killing a bear using only the heel of her high heel shoe.
Using her stockings to troll for fish from a canoe she carved from a tree her self.
Landing an Orca with a fly rod.
Any web-savvy people out there willing to give it a try? Could end up being a big hit.
Ping for later reference. This could be as much fun as “Skippy’s List” or the “Evil Overlord” list.
posted on 09/06/2008 6:45:48 PM PDT
("The crews of all submarines captured should be treated as pirates and hanged". Sir Arthur Wilson)
posted on 09/06/2008 6:48:49 PM PDT
posted on 09/06/2008 7:21:04 PM PDT
(There's no stoppin' the cretins from hoppin')
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-20, 21-31 next last
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson