Skip to comments.First Health Care, Next the Food Supply
Posted on 11/17/2010 2:09:17 AM PST by Scanian
Just because the duck is lame doesn't mean it can't still do terrible damage to American freedom. Our new Congress, especially the new House, isn't yet seated, and this current Congress can still wreak terrible havoc on our rights if not stopped.
Case in point: Senate Bill 510, believed to be coming to the floor Wednesday, November 17 (pending). This is the food safety version of ObamaCare. Reading the thing will make your head hurt for all its cognitive dissonance. Trying to winnow out its complexity and hidden empowerments is stultifying.
Introduced by Dick Durbin of Illinois, the bill has moved through the usual phases of amalgamation and deal-making. The monstrosity advancing to the floor on Wednesday is not so much "food safety" as it is the decadence of the rights of small farmers, hobbyist food producers, garden-variety farmers markets, and your average small producer of foodstuffs. Under the rubric of safety, this Senate proposes a bill that establishes such new and sweeping powers over how you and I produce and consume foodstuffs that even the Pew Charitable Trusts are calling S510 a clear and present danger. National Health Freedom says,
"It is a dangerously broad regulatory bill giving extensive discretionary power to the FDA over the entire food supply chain without proper checks and balances to avoid abuse of power;
"It would impose one-size-fits-all-regulations on thousands of small and mid-sized farmers, small-scale local farms and food producers, and would drastically burden, to extinction, basic natural and organic food suppliers, thus endangering the lives of Americans who depend on local wholesome foods..."
(Excerpt) Read more at americanthinker.com ...
Time to hit the phones again and let our senators think about such freedom-hating legislation.
Dick Durbin sponsored it---need I say more?
It’s part of the control. They will control EVERYTHING. It’s been happening but they’re really pushing fast since their puppit arrived. Bush gave them a little but not what they wanted. This is why he was attacked night.
“puppit” would be puppet.
“night” and day.
If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.
What are Republican thinking? Seven out of twelve co-sponsors are Republicans.
SB 510 - The Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010
Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Lamar Alexander [R-TN]
Jeff Bingaman [D-NM]
Richard Burr [R-NC]
Roland Burris [D-IL]
Saxby Chambliss [R-GA]
Christopher Dodd [D-CT]
Michael Enzi [R-WY]
Kirsten Gillibrand [D-NY]
Judd Gregg [R-NH]
Thomas Harkin [D-IA]
Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
John Isakson [R-GA]
What are they thinking?
This should be of great interest to the Weekly Gardeners Ping list.
This is a dangerous Bill Folks! And they May be voting on this today!
We are heading full speed to a horrible Police State. All the “Kook” predictors are being proved correct. At this point I believe the Kooks more than the government.
Look at how well the destruction of the airline industry occurred. The passengers will simply say NO.
Unemployment will skyrocket just as the industry was beginning to recover from the great depression and here we are with new rules and regs that make flying a nightmare few will willingly endure.
Thank you for the ping.... BTTT!!!!
That's all I need to know.
Looks like I really didn’t need to say more.
Don’t you love Turban with that eternal, phony expression on his face?
Hands off my damn food, politicians...wonder just WHO wrote this particular bill? We KNOW it wasn’t anyone in Congress...
I’d guess Tides....or Apollo.
Turban is a good stooge for them.
Gonna be mighty hard to kill this monster with so many pubbies supporting it.
Let’s see if they learned anything since the election....and if McConnell can show some leadership over a serious matter.
Should at least be tabled until January.
anything they try to get in will hopefully be voided when the new crew comes in Jan
thanks for ping
Chambliss and Isakson? What are they thinking?
4. It imposes Codex Alimentarius on the US, a global system of control over food. It allows the United Nations (UN), World Health Organization (WHO), UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and the WTO to take control of every food on earth and remove access to natural food supplements. Its bizarre history and its expected impact in limiting access to adequate nutrition (while mandating GM food, GM animals, pesticides, hormones, irradiation of food, etc.) threatens all safe and organic food and health itself, since the world knows now it needs vitamins to survive, not just to treat illnesses.
5. It would remove the right to clean, store and thus own seed in the US, putting control of seeds in the hands of Monsanto and other multinationals, threatening US security. See Seeds How to criminalize them, for more details.
6. It includes NAIS, an animal traceability program that threatens all small farmers and ranchers raising animals. The UN is participating through the WHO, FAO, WTO, and World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) in allowing mass slaughter of even heritage breeds of animals and without proof of disease. Biodiversity in farm animals is being wiped out to substitute genetically engineered animals on which corporations hold patents. Animal diseases can be falsely declared. S 510 includes the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), despite its corrupt involvement in the H1N1 scandal, which is now said to have been concocted by the corporations.
7. It extends a failed and destructive HACCP to all food, thus threatening to do to all local food production and farming what HACCP did to meat production put it in corporate hands and worsen food safety.
8. It deconstructs what is left of the American economy. It takes agriculture and food, which are the cornerstone of all economies, out of the hands of the citizenry, and puts them under the total control of multinational corporations influencing the UN, WHO, FAO and WTO, with HHS, and CDC, acting as agents, with Homeland Security as the enforcer. The chance to rebuild the economy based on farming, ranching, gardens, food production, natural health, and all the jobs, tools and connected occupations would be eliminated.
9. It would allow the government to mandate antibiotics, hormones, slaughterhouse waste, pesticides and GMOs. This would industrialize every farm in the US, eliminate local organic farming, greatly increase global warming from increased use of oil-based products and long-distance delivery of foods, and make food even more unsafe. The five items listed the Five Pillars of Food Safety are precisely the items in the food supply which are the primary source of its danger.
10. It uses food crimes as the entry into police state power and control. The bill postpones defining all the regulations to be imposed; postpones defining crimes to be punished, postpones defining penalties to be applied. It removes fundamental constitutional protections from all citizens in the country, making them subject to a corporate tribunal with unlimited power and penalties, and without judicial review. It is (similar to C-6 in Canada) the end of Rule of Law in the US.
If this passes, I will break it. I will never comply. As a celiac, with roughly half of my kids also being celiacs, we grow a small amount for ourselves. Ever price gluten-free food? It isn’t cheap. We don’t grow much, just a bit to help us. And I will not bow to the Nannies. My kids are too important for that. Let ‘em try to pick me up for celery without a license. I mean that without hyperbole or blather.
Don’t these people ever stop?
Am I going to have to buy a commuter book of train tickets to Washington DC so I can spend time each week in front of the Capitol Building?
Like previously mentioned, why do we let people who have been fired back on the job? This makes no sense.
Self reliance ping!
I think we were all expecting some Sneaky Pete crap from the ‘Rats before Jan 1.
So far, no card check, no amnesty (just Zer0 talking with some Hispanic “leaders” and Dingy Harry making some noise),
and no climate bills.
No Bush tax cut resolution either.
To me, the food bill was the limit. “El colmo” if you know some Spanish lingo.
Good test for McConnell...this ought to let us know if he has the backbone for the job.
...and people actually vote FOR these control freaks..?
I don’t think we’re allowed to criticize priggish moralists on FR. Looks like a very good book though.
No influence from ADM?
They can have my vegetables when they pry them from my cold dead hands!
That’s what I was just wondering. WTH?
The alternative is voting for even bigger control freaks.
el colmo - the height
We need to jam the lines and raise hell about this, like TODAY!!
Let’s get Limbaugh and Beck on the the case...they ought to be hot to trot about something like this.
We sent the Memo on 11/2, apparently they did not read it.
And commonly used to mean “the straw that broke the camel’s back” and this thng really is for some of us.
They’re thinking “Conagra” and “Archer Daniel Midlands” wants me to vote for this bill, I’m afraid.
More crap.....thanks for the ping
Must see new TV show——— Apocalypse PA on History Channel
This guy with his family has built a wood chip powered truck. An alcohol still and made his own ammunition. Bought some goats too.
Quinn just said that they are going to attach the earmark moratorium to this Food Safety bill.
So if Republicans vote against the bill, they will be accused of hypocrisy on the earmarks thing.
I presume this has yet to go to the House?
Then they need to vote no and revisit earmarks in January, right?
Also, they have tried that rider trick before and the public caught onto the scam.
People pay a helluva lot more attention now than they used to...the tricks need to be brought out into the open and there will be heavy blowback.
They will wait until we are out Christmas shopping to do the balance of dirty work...hoping that we are not paying attention.
Under S.B. 510s House counterpart bill, H.R. 2749 (Section 133b, Authority to Prohibit or Restrict the Movement of Food), sponsored by Congressman Dingell, the Secretary of Health and Human Services will have the power to prohibit all movement of all food within a geographic area.
12 posted on Wed Nov 17 06:38:33 2010 by Java4Jay
. . .
And I think this is the House vote:
. . .
But it still has to go back to the House for reconciliation, right? And can it be stopped there?
I’ve sent this to Rush and Drudge. We need to bombard them with this info. I’ll be calling my senator’s offices this morning. I’ll be damned if ANYONE is going to mess with my vegetable garden. ON MY PROPERTY. Liberty and property are so intertwined - we mustn’t allow them to go any further.
Thanks for the ping RD.
This is disgusting! >:-(
Moreover, there is no doubt in my mind that Rush’s staff lurks here. Maybe Rush himself, if he has the time.
And there are other hosts who do the same.
We can get them foaming at the mouth about this if we play it right.
Never forget that most government employees can barely control their own BM’s let alone “control” our private activities.
There are just too many of us and not enough of them. What they want is the Capability and the Legal Right to do it-—so they can take aim selectively at individuals and groups that they don’t like.
You can see such bias in the Justice Dept.
The trick has to be stalling it for 6 1/2 weeks.
Making a big enough stink might do it.
This is exactly the kind of stealthy crap that has made Congress so hated by the public and cost the Dems 60+ seats.
ACTION ALERT ping!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.