Skip to comments.Looks like the Sequester Is Going to Happen (Update from Federal Worker)
Posted on 02/27/2013 7:26:14 PM PST by ducttape45
Elections have consequences.
I won't say what military base I work at,but today my office was briefed about the impending sequestration. There were a few interesting points to come out of the meeting.
1. You have to take at least 8 hours a week LWOP (leave without pay). You cannot use sick or annual leave on those days off. You cannot take more then 30 hours a week because then you'd be able to apply for unemployment and the federal government is ensuring we can't utilize that avenue to supplement our income. So they take us but prevent us from taking from them. Smart.....
2. No more credit time, comp time, or overtime. If, in the performance of your job you're responsible for monitoring contractors, those contractors have to leave or you leave them unsupervised. Just imagine the legal entanglements that are soon to arise.
3. We have to take 176 hours, or 22 days, off with no pay (which we will NOT get back for all you who have been saying otherwise) between April 25 and September 22. If the sequester lasts longer and we end up taking more than 30 days of sequester then mandatory RIFs will take place and people will start losing their jobs.
That's the news as I have it now. I'll post more as it comes available. I'm going to bed, I can hardly keep my eyes open but I had to post this for all to see.
S E Q U E S T E R
We should SEQUESTER each and every representative /sarcasm and cut their pay, their medical, their retirement, their staff, their travel, their face-time, their lobbyists, their contributors, their benefits, etc., etc.
S E Q U E S T E R
DEFUND socialist collectives, foreign and domestic. BIG GOVERNMENT IS CRONY SOCIALISM.
DEPOPULATE socialists from the body politic.
Socialism Is Legal Plunder - Frederic Bastiat 1801-1850
So much more...here...
Everything about socialism is sham and affectation. - 23.11 Ch23; Evil
So much more...here...
Some proof of a fraction of the damage caused by socialists...
Its much easier to...
live - free - republic
Things are tough all over. Would you prefer to lose your job, pension, and healthcare like the coal miners are? 24 million out of work, not LWOP (leave without pay). Of course this sucks, however many more have suffered far worse because of the government.
Hang in there! And, wow; just wow. What a fr*ck*n mess we are in...
I think there is at least 85 billion in waste to be found in a 3.7 Trillion budget.
Rome is burning! We all need to wake up! We need to stop the crazy spending.
Thanks for posting, ducttape45. Important information BUMP!
Wow, thanks for the post.
The same folks who went golfing with Tiger Woods in Florida and skiing in Aspen over Presidents day weekend are the ones responsible for this hardship.
I'm selling black-market marshmallows and hot-dogs. Get yer hot dogs! Pointy sticks extra.
Things are going to get a whole lot worse for people drawing a federal paycheck. They have to if we ever intend to see the private sector thrive again.
You’ve still got a job woth good benefits. Look on the bright side.
Has anyone asked what funding cuts will take place at NPR, PBS, NEA, etc? Will the NEA be cutting back on any art funding? What about cuts to Michelle’s dress designers, gardening staff, or 90 assistants? How about POTUS’s golf caddy? Will the President save taxpayer money by enrolling his girls in public schools?
Would it be better if they just laid you off 100%? That happens more often in the private sector than furloughs. I’ve done the furlough thing and it sucked, but it was temporary and I’m still here.
Best of luck to you. I mean that sincerely.
Thanks for the update.
We are all in for a rough ride.
Things are going to get a whole lot worse for people drawing a federal paycheck.
Make that a federal check—period. You could eliminate the total federal civil work force ($800B) and the budget deficit is forecasted to be larger next year ($1.2B). This isn’t going to be fixed with furloughs.
You can always quit and find another job, right?
Frankly, I can’t drum up any sympathy for “government employees” at this point.
Your hours wouldn’t be cut if you were “essential”, and if you are not “essential”, why are you employed by the government?
Uncle Sugar ran out of money. Talk amongst yourselves.
WRT your points:
1. Here’s a way to stick it to the “man” - find a part time private sector job and show him who’s the smart one now!
2. What if the contractors are, gulp, full grown adults and maybe don’t need supervision all week - oh the horrors! If they’re not full grown adults then, unlike GS, they can be fired. If their “supervisor” doesn’t like their perfomrance and still does not act, whose the one at fault?
3. I’ve got some names in mind for the RIF if you need them....
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Agreed. Got laid off in 08 and been scrapping ever since while watching my relatives and friends who work for the feds doing great, getting significant raises, taking tons of vacation I never got in private sector and generally not doing much work. People here can hate me but I have zero sympathy for the fed employees. They are getting just a tiny tiny sample of what the rest of us have endured the past 4 years.
Sequester Foreign Aid!
I doubt it'll work that way. Usually, employees have to cover for each others' absence and they rotate the days they are off with other employees, so it's only a 3-day weekend when your day falls on a Monday or Friday. Somebody else gets the three-day weekend when you have to take off Tuesday. Otherwise, the whole office shuts down when everybody takes off on the same day. Some companies prefer to do that.
It depends. Count on the government to do this in a way that will maximize disruption and confusion. And especially anger at Republicans for causing it.