Skip to comments.Facebook, Microsoft release information on government data requests
Posted on 06/15/2013 5:13:21 AM PDT by SE Mom
Ted Ullyot, Facebook's general counsel, said in a statement Friday that Facebook is only allowed to talk about total numbers and must give no specifics. But he said the permission it has received is still unprecedented, and the company was lobbying to reveal more.
"These requests run the gamut from things like a local sheriff trying to find a missing child, to a federal marshal tracking a fugitive, to a police department investigating an assault, to a national security official investigating a terrorist threat," Ullyot said.
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
It appears we have been deceived AGAIN.
Just think. Last week these same companies told us they’d never heard of such a thing.
And (mostly) unhackable. You can make Linux very, very secure. There is no “mothership” and no “back door”, unless you physically have the system.
The only exception to this is Linux variant “Android”. I despise Google for a number of reasons, but I despise them most for building a phishing expedition and government spying apparatus on top of a Linux kernel.
It would seem these spying programs are being used by law enforcement all across the country.
And Facebook’s Icon Zuckerberg is sponsoring millions and millions of dollars in DoppleConservative ads to instantiate amnesty for ILLEGAL ALIENS.
Let’s see.....ummmm lobby hard to get 50-100 million illegals and familial entourage here while simultaneously providing the plethora of personal data for real citizens here.
It’s akin to the Capos carting, burning, burying the bodies in WWIIs German death camps (to be soon rededicated as Obama’s AmeriKa Kamps).
It is hard to see from my viewpoint why on the earth anyone would be remotely associated or use Facebook.
I think we’re being spied on to prevent conservatives from ever having political power.
Screw them all. When defending the Constitution becomes a subversive act, I'm a subversive.
Of course your communications are under surveillance. You’re much more interesting than I am, and I know they’re gathering data on me.
Exactly! This has gotten out of control..just like drone technology.
Giving access to run of the mill law enforcement entities also helps to insulate the Feds and the WH. If they mix in their own requests with requests from various state agencies, it looks like the Feds are not requesting as much as they actually are.
Your sorely mistaken if you think using Linux will do you any good against government snooping and surveillance. It doesn’t matter what O/S you are using, your IP address and Internet provider can easily be traced.
That information can be stored indefinitely and can be available just for the asking.
If you use the internet, a land line, a cell phone, credit card, CB radio, etc ,etc. you can be tracked. PERIOD.
Couldn’t Facebook say how many State and local orders they’ve received? How can the Feds ban them from telling that?
Aren’t the Federal requests here used for prosecutions, so they must be done by the book? How many citizens are being spied on by the Feds without use of warrants?
He77 they can’t even get on the same page so they’re repeating the same lie! The talking point of the week isn’t even coordinated. Does Snowed have them scrambling?
Old one but remember this one?
Did Skype Give a Private Company Data on Teen WikiLeaks Supporter Without a Warrant?
By Ryan Gallagher
Posted Friday, Nov. 9, 2012, at 4:30 PM
> If you use the internet, a land line, a cell phone, credit
> card, CB radio, etc ,etc. you can be tracked. PERIOD.
Indeed, but you can minimize your exposure, and you can shield your content from the spooks.
Here are some simple steps anybody can take.
* Use cash whenever possible, especially for things like church or political giving and ammo and firearms. I understand that some political giving must be done with credit card, but limit these as much as possible. Cash is always better.
* Turn your cell phone off unless you absolutely need it. They cannot track your whereabouts if your cell phone is off. This is especially important if you have a “smart” phone, though with some of those, you may need to remove the battery if you can. I advise against using “smart” phones at all.
* If all you do with your computer is email, browse, write letters, and maintain a few spreadsheets, use Linux. For newbies, I can recommend Ubuntu and its variants, or perhaps CentOS.
* If you have applications that must run under Windows, like Video or Audio editing and recording (Cuebase, Camtasia, etc), use a separate computer that is not connected to the internet. You can transfer files with “sneakernet” (usb “thumb” drive). If you have the know-how, you could create a local subnet that has no visibility beyond your environment.
* If you cannot have two separate computers, most modern computers are fully capable of creating “Virtual Machines”. Use VirtualBox for Linux and create a Windows “guest” with limited or no internet access. Files can be transferred through “shared” disk folders. You can use your current Windows license, usually on a sticker somewhere on your computrer, to activate Windows on the guest.
* Only connect your computer to the internet when you need to get email or browse. All other times, either disable the network device or shut off your computer. In Linux you can easily do this from the command line.
* Do not use Google, Apple, or Microsoft applications. Most of them are phishing expeditions and have “back doors” for the spooks.
* If you have an Apple, you’re hosed, unless you can get it to work without an internet connection. Then you can make it your secondary computer, used only for applications that won’t run on Linux.
Oh, and very important ,.,
* STAY AWAY FROM “SOCIAL MEDIA”! Man, those things are REALLY bad. Stay away from YouTube, too. They’re owned by Google. Who knows how many hooks they have in there for the spooks.
You have provided some good advice. However, you can barely move these days without a camera watching your every move.
We have succumbed to the most surveilled society in the history of mankind. And there is no escaping it.
But we still can’t find out if Zer0 has a valid birth certificate? PATHETIC.