Skip to comments.Banning Gun Sales to People on No-Fly List May Not Be Constitutional, Experts Say (Capt Obvious)
Posted on 12/11/2015 6:46:15 PM PST by Red in Blue PA
On Thursday, Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy announced plans to issue an executive order barring anyone listed on federal terrorist watch lists from purchasing a gun in the state. But while the idea of âno fly, no gunâ has found growing support following the mass shooting in San Bernardino last week, including that of President Obama, experts say such a policy may be unconstitutional.
The problem lies with the terrorist watch lists themselves, which are both secret and routinely updated without the typical due process given to those who are accused of breaking the law, such as court proceedings. Without a trial, the government can add anyone to watch lists who it believes may be a threat to national securityâand exactly how the government defines such a threat isnât even public knowledge.
âThe government doesnât release its criteria,â says Elizabeth Goitein, co-director of the Liberty & National Security Program at New York Universityâs Brennan Center for Justice. âItâs really a black box.â
(Excerpt) Read more at time.com ...
Well, duh, there is no due process.
Due process is such an antiquated notion.....
You know it, and I know it, but does the Supreme Court know it?
But don’t ask the In’t’l Man of Mystery if maybe he should be on a No-fly list.
There are, however, practical difficulties. Anyone who is on this list, and actually is an Islamic terrorist, is not very likely to bring a lawsuit....although you never know with these guys.
Maybe us peasants should create a secret "no-public office" list, which will be comprised of people who We The People think "may be a threat to our Natural Rights".
Dannel Malloy looks like a good candidate for the list.
It is amazing that even leftist Time Magazine knows it.
“Konnecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy is such a jackass, it’s embarrassing. To jackasses.
Un-frakin’-believable. Did this moron not know this was unconstitutional, and what’s more, illegal (18 US Code section 242, Deprivation of rights under color of law)?
Since when has that stopped the totalitarians in Washington, D.C.?
This even gives the totalitarians the opportunity to put everyone on the “No Fly List”.
I made that point hours ago. It really is Captain Obvious territory.
If the no-fly list is going to be used for the no gun buy list, a lot more people won’t be flying. The temptation to make a great big list will be too great for the POS dictator.
Democrats just discovered for the first time that the Constution exists after Trumps moslem speech. Except for tge Second A.endment. They haven’t come to the due process part yet.
FOIA request for the ‘no-fly’ list along with any determining criteria for people to be added to the list, and the official methods to appeal the appearance and ‘correct’ errors that may appear.
That is why this will never actually go into effect, as there’s few courts in the US who would deny such a request, and no courts of appeal which will uphold the government’s denial of releasing the list as it is being used to specifically determine who can and can’t exercise a basic right.
Corrupt Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy never let anything as trivial as the law or the Constitution get in his way.
So, where in the Connecticut Constitution does it say that the Governor can issue a diktat and it becomes “the law”?
May? May be?
He’s just learning it from his hero Obie.
He has done a lot more in that area than he has on gun control.
0bama blocked investigations of anyone Islamic. The San Bernardino attack was not an intelligence failure it was a policy success of stopping investigations of terrorists in their tracks and deleting the case files.
One of my favorite activities lately is to ask people who support using the No Rights List to deny gun purchases whether they think terrorists should be picking our leaders.
All of a sudden, the idea that an Attorney General could swing Florida’s electoral votes simply by declaring a few hundred people to be officially scary occurs to them.
URGENT ALERT - YOUR ACTION NEEDED
GUN CONFISCATION LEGISLATION INTRODUCED IN ILLINOIS
MOST ANTI-GUN BILL EVER
Earlier today, hardcore antigun extremists in the Illinois House introduced HB4359 which would require you to surrender your FOID card and firearms if your name ever appears on the government’s “NO FLY LIST.” Obama and the gun grabbers would like you to believe that people on this list are too dangerous to own guns. If one accepts that simplistic view, then HB4359 might make sense to them. However, the thinking person will have a lot of serious questions about the no-fly list.
NO-FLY LIST Q&A:
1. Q: How does a person get on the No-Fly List? A: That’s a secret.
2. Q: Who adds names to the No-Fly List? A: Bureaucrats and political appointees.
3. Q: By whose authority are names added to the No-Fly List? A: That’s a secret.
4. Q: Can a person’s name be placed on the No-Fly List for political reasons? A: That’s a secret.
5. Q: Does a person have to be convicted of a crime to be on the No-Fly List? A: No.
6. Q: Is a person whose name is on the No-Fly List given the opportunity to face their accuser(s)? A: No.
7. Q: Does a person’s name remain on the list forever? A: Probably.
8. Q: How many names were on the No-Fly List when Obama took office? A: 50,000.
9. Q: How many names are on the No-Fly List today? A: 750,000.
10. Q: Is the No-Fly List a dangerous affront to liberty? A: Yes.
WHO ARE THE LEGISLATORS RESPONSIBLE FOR HB4359?
1. Rep. Greg Harris (217) 782-3835
2. Rep. Lou Lang (217) 782-1252
3. Rep. Deborah Conroy (217) 782-8158
4. Rep. Litesa Wallace (217) 782-3167
5. Rep. Emanuel Welch (217) 782-8120
6. Rep. Christian Mitchell (217) 782-2023
7. Rep. Jaime Andrade, Jr. (217) 782-8117
8. Rep. Martin Moylan (217) 782-8007
9. Rep. Cynthia Soto (217) 782-0150
10. Rep. Mary Flowers (217) 782-4207
11. Rep. Anna Moeller (217) 782-8020
12. Rep. Kathleen Willis (217) 782-3374
13. Rep. John D’Amico (217) 782-8198
14. Rep. Sonya Harper (217) 782-5971
15. Rep. Camille Lilly (217) 782-6400
WHAT DOES HB4359 MEAN TO YOU?
IF THIS BILL PASSES AND YOU EVER END UPON THE NO-FLY LIST:
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO PROTECT YOUR GUN RIGHTS:
1. Call each of the Representatives listed above and politely tell the person who answers the phone that you do not support HB4359 and its attack on the 2nd and 5th Amendments.
2. Call your State Representative and politely tell them that you would like them to vote against HB4359. If you do not know who your state representative is, then click this link at the Illinois State Board of Elections:
3. Pass this Alert on to all your friends and family, ask them to make calls too.
4. Post this Alert on any Internet blogs and Social Media sites to which you may belong.
WE ARE HERE TO DEFEND YOU
Rest assured that the ISRA will be keeping on top of developments in this situation. visit our web site: http://www.isra.org
- - -
The ISRA is the state’s leading advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership. For more than a century, the ISRA has represented the interests of millions of lawful Illinois firearm owners. # # #
Follow the ISRA on Twitter and Facebook.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.