Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

To: *USO Canteen; archy; Alamo-Girl; Angelwood; AntiJen; abner; at bay; A Navy Vet; ...
Welcome to the USO Canteen FReeper Style. Thank you all so much for your very special and wonderful support of our troops and their families. And thank you for welcoming home our Veterans .

3 posted on 07/15/2002 3:05:41 AM PDT by Snow Bunny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies ]

To: SAMWolf; blackie; 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub; HiJinx; kneezles; MeeknMing; Mr_Magoo; 4TheFlag; ...
The Pledge of Allegiance I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.

World War II Army Nurse

The display includes original uniforms, field equipment, medical equipment, and personal items, all housed in an original World War II wall tent of the type used for quarters by many army nurses.

A view of left interior view showing (left to right) a cot with sleeping bag, the M1943 OD service blouse for nurses and WAC officers, an issue manual on X-ray techniques and equipment, a fountain pen, a writing book, glasses, a "Returning to Civilian Life" booklet, a copy of the Stars and Stripes newspaper, a July 1942 issue of National Geographic magazine, a small sized 48 star US flag, a women's M1943 field jacket with Red Cross brassard, an M1 helmet with an M1941 "jeep" cap, bar of soap, and mess kit inside the helmet.

4 posted on 07/15/2002 3:09:23 AM PDT by Snow Bunny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny
Good morning Bunny.

7 posted on 07/15/2002 3:12:18 AM PDT by Aeronaut
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny
Good Morning, Snow!
16 posted on 07/15/2002 4:01:26 AM PDT by Pippin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny

Today's classic warship, USS Saint Louis (CL-49)

Saint Louis class
Displacement: 10,000 t.
Length: 608’4”
Beam: 61’8”
Draft: 19’10”
Speed: 33 k.
Complement: 888
Armament: 15 6”; 8 5”; 16 1.1”; 12 20mm; 1 depth charge track
Commissioned on 19 May 1939.
Foundered on 24 August 1980 off South Africa

The USS ST. LOUIS (CL-49) was laid down on 10 December 1936 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; launched on 15 April 1938; sponsored by Miss Nancy Lee Morrill, and commissioned on 19 May 1939, Capt. Charles H. Morrison in command.

Fitted out and based at Norfolk, ST. LOUIS completed shakedown on 6 October, then commenced Neutrality Patrol operations which, during the next 11 months, took her from the West Indies into the North Atlantic. On 3 September 1940, she put to sea with an inspection board embarked to evaluate possible sites, from Newfoundland to British Guiana, for naval and air bases to be gained in exchange for destroyers transferred to the British government. She returned to Norfolk on 27 October and, on 9 November, sailed for the Pacific.

Transiting the Panama Canal five days later, ST. LOUIS reached Pearl Harbor on 12 December. She participated in fleet maneuvers and conducted patrols during the winter of 1940 and 41; then steamed to California for an overhaul at Mare Island. She returned to Pearl Harbor on 20 June and resumed operations in Hawaiian waters.

Two months later, she sailed west with other cruisers of the Battle Force, patrolled between Wake, Midway, and Guam, then, proceeded to Manila, whence she returned to Hawaii at the end of September. On the 28th of that month, she entered the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard for upkeep; and, on 7 December, she was moored to the pier in Southeast Lock.

That Sunday morning at 0756, Japanese planes were sighted by observers on board ST. LOUIS. Within minutes, the ship was at general quarters, and her operable antiaircraft guns were manned and firing on the attackers. By 0806, preparations for getting underway had begun. At about 0820, one of the cruiser's gun crews shot down its first enemy torpedo plane. By 0900, two more enemy aircraft had joined the first. At 0931, ST. LOUIS moved away from the pier and headed for South Channel and the open sea. Fifteen minutes later, her 6-inch guns, whose power leads had been disconnected, were in full operating order.

As the cruiser moved into the channel entrance, she became the target of a midget submarine. The enemy's torpedoes, however, exploded on striking a shoal less than 200 yards from the ship. Destroyers then pounded the bottom with depth charges and ST. LOUIS continued out to sea where she joined in the search for the Japanese fleet. After failing to locate the enemy strike force, the hunters returned to Pearl Harbor on 10 December, and ST. LOUIS turned to escorting transports carrying casualties to San Francisco and troops to Hawaii.

On 6 January 1942, she departed San Francisco with Task Force (TF) 17, centered on carrier YORKTOWN (CV-5) and escorted the ships transporting the Marine Expeditionary Force to Samoa to reinforce defenses there. Between 20 and 24 January, the YORKTOWN group covered the offloading at Pago Pago, then moved to conduct air strikes in the Marshalls and the Gilberts before returning to Pearl Harbor on 7 February.

Upon her return to Pearl Harbor, ST. LOUIS resumed escort duty with Hawaii-California convoys. In the spring, after a trip to the New Hebrides, she escorted SS PRESIDENT COOLIDGE, which was carrying President Quezon of the Philippines to the west coast, arriving at San Francisco on 8 May. The following day, she was again bound for Pearl Harbor. There, she switched to a reinforcement group carrying Marine aircraft and personnel to Midway in anticipation of Japanese efforts to take that key outpost. On the 25th, she delivered her charges to their mid-ocean destination, then moved north as a unit of TF 8 to reinforce Aleutian defenses.

On 31 May, ST. LOUIS arrived at Kodiak, refueled, and got underway to patrol south of the Alaskan Peninsula. Through July, she continued the patrols ranging westward to intercept enemy shipping. On 3 August, she headed for Kiska for her first shore bombardment mission. Four days later, she shelled that enemy-held island, then retired, returning to Kodiak on the 11th.

After that mission, the cruiser continued patrols in the Aleutian area and covered the Allied occupation of Adak. On 25 October, she proceeded via Dutch Harbor to California for an overhaul at Mare Island.

On 4 December, she departed San Francisco with transports bound for New Caledonia. She shepherded the convoy into its Noumean anchorage on the 21st, then shifted to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, whence she proceeded into the Solomons. She commenced operations there in January 1943 with bombardments of Japanese air facilities at Munda and Kolombangara and, during the next five months, repeated those raids and patrolled the "Slot" in the Central Solomons in an effort to halt the "Tokyo Express"--reinforcement and supply shipping that sought, almost nightly, to bolster Japanese garrisons.

Shortly after midnight on 4-5 July, she participated in the bombardment of Vila and Bairoko Harbor, New Georgia. Her division, Cruiser Division 9 (CruDiv 9) and its screen, Destroyer Squadron 21 (DesRon 21), then retired back toward Tulagi to replenish as troops were landed at Rice Anchorage. Early on the morning of the 6th, however, the cruiser-destroyer force located and engaged ten enemy destroyers headed for Vila with reinforcements embarked. In the ensuing Battle of Kula Gulf, HELENA (CL-50) and two enemy ships were sunk.

Six nights later, the force, TF 18, reinforced by DesRon 12, moved back up the "Slot" from Tulagi and soon after 0100 on the 13th, engaged an enemy force of one light cruiser, JINTSU, and five destroyers in the Battle of Kolombangara. During the battle, which raged for over an hour, JINTSU and GWIN (DD-433) were sunk and HONOLULU (CL-48), ST. LOUIS and New Zealand light cruiser LEANDER were damaged. ST. LOUIS took a torpedo which hit well forward and twisted her bow, but caused no serious casualties.

She returned to Tulagi on the afternoon of the 13th. From there, she moved on to Espiritu Santo for temporary repairs; then steamed east, to Mare Island, to complete the work. In mid-November, she returned to the Solomons and, from the 20th to the 25th, covered marines fighting for Bougainville. In December, she returned to that island to shell troop concentrations and, in January 1944, shifted southward to bombard enemy installations in the Shortland Islands. Thence, she moved back to Bougainville to cover the landing of reinforcements at Cape Torokina. On 10 January, she headed back to Florida Island. In February, she again moved northwest, this time into the extreme northern Solomons and the Bismarcks. On the 13th, she arrived in the area between Buka and St. George Channel to support landing operations in the Green Islands off New Ireland.

At 1855 on the 14th, six Vals were sighted approaching ST. LOUIS's group. Crossing astern of the ships, the enemy planes went out to the southeast, turned, and reapproached. Only five remained in the formation which split into two groups. Two of the planes closed ST. LOUIS.

The first plane dropped three bombs, all near misses. The second released three more. One scored on the light cruiser, the other two were near misses just off the port quarter. The bomb which hit ST. LOUIS penetrated the 40 millimeter clipping room near the number 6 mount and exploded in the midship living compartment. Twenty-three died and 20 were wounded, 10 seriously. A fire which had started in the clipping room was extinguished. Both of her planes were rendered inoperable and her ventilation system was damaged. Communication with the after engine room ceased, and the cruiser slowed to 18 knots. On the 15th, she survived another air attack and was then ordered back to Purvis Bay.

Repairs were completed by the end of the month and in March, ST. LOUIS resumed operations with her division. Through May, she remained in the Solomons. Then, on 4 June, she moved north to the Marshalls whence, on the 10th, she sailed for the Marianas in TF 52, the Saipan assault force. Four days later, she cruised off southern Saipan. On the 15th, she shelled the Charan Kanoa area; retired as the landings took place, then moved back to provide call fire support and to shell targets of opportunity. On the 16th, she proceeded south and bombarded the Asan beach area of Guam. She then returned to Saipan and, on the 17th, shifted to an area north of that island where she remained through the Battle of the Philippine Sea. On the 22d, she returned to Saipan and, after screening the refueling group for two days, proceeded to the Marshalls.

On 14 July, ST. LOUIS again headed for the Marianas. The next day, she damaged her number 3 propeller and lost 39 feet of the tail shaft. Nevertheless, two days later, she arrived off Guam as scheduled; and, during the afternoon, covered underwater demolition teams working the proposed landing beaches. Pre-invasion shore bombardment followed; and, after the landings on the 21st, she provided support fire and call fire. On the 29th, ST. LOUIS departed the Marianas for Pearl Harbor, whence she was routed on to California for overhaul. In mid-October, she steamed back to Hawaii, trained until the end of the month, then moved on across the Pacific, via Ulithi and Kossol Roads, to the Philippines, arriving in Leyte Gulf on 16 November.

During the next 10 days, she patrolled in the gulf and in Surigao Strait, adding her batteries to the antiaircraft guns protecting shipping in the area. Shortly before noon on the 27th, a formation of 12 to 14 enemy planes attacked the cruiser's formation. ST. LOUIS was unscathed in the brief battle. A request was made for CAP cover, but Japanese planes continued to command the air. At 1130, another 10 enemy planes filled the space vacated by the first flight and broke into three attack groups of four, four, and two. At 1138, a Val, hit and aflame, made a suicide dive on ST. LOUIS from the port quarter and exploded with its bomb on impact. Fires broke out in the cruiser's hangar area and spaces. All crew members of 20 millimeter guns 7 through 10 were killed or wounded.

At 1139, a second burning enemy plane headed at her on the port beam. Flank speed was rung up and the rudder was put hard right. The plane passed over number 4 turret and crashed 100 yards out.

At 1146, there was still no CAP cover over the cruiser's formation, and, at 1151, two more enemy planes, both burning, attacked ST. LOUIS. The first was splashed off the port quarter; the second drove in from starboard and crashed almost on board on the port side. A 20-foot section of armor belt was lost and numerous holes were torn in her hull. By 1152, the ship had taken on a list to port. At 1210, another suicide-minded Japanese pilot closed ST. LOUIS. He was stopped 400 yards astern. Ten minutes later, enemy torpedo planes moved in to attack. ST. LOUIS, warned by a PT boat, barely avoided contact with a lethal package dropped by one of the planes.

By 1236, the cruiser was back on an even keel. Thirty minutes later, all major fires were out; and salvage work had been started. Medical work was well under way: 15 were dead, 1 was missing, 21 were seriously wounded, 22 had sustained minor injuries. On the 28th, ST. LOUIS's seriously injured were transferred; and, on the 30th, she put into San Pedro Bay for temporary repairs which allowed her to reach California toward the end of December.

On 1 March 1945, ST. LOUIS departed California and, at mid-month, she joined the fast carrier force at Ulithi. By the end of the month, she had participated in strikes against the southern Japanese home islands, then moved south to the Ryukyus to join TF 54, bombarded Okinawa, and guarded minesweepers and underwater demolition teams clearing channels to the assault beaches. On the 31st, she put into Kerama Retto to replenish, then returned to the larger island to support the forces landed on the Hagushi beaches on 1 April.

Five days later, the cruiser covered minesweepers off Iwo Jima, then resumed fire support and antiaircraft duties off Okinawa. On 18 May, she departed Hagushi for a brief respite at Leyte; and, in mid-June, she resumed support operations off Okinawa. On 25 July, she shifted to TF 95, and on the 28th, she supported air strikes against Japanese installations on the Asiatic mainland. Sweeps of the East China Sea followed; and, in early August, she anchored in Buckner Bay, where she remained through the end of hostilities on 15 August.

Postwar duties kept the cruiser in the Far East for another two and one-half months. In late August, while in the Philippines, she was assigned to TF 73, the Yangtze River Patrol Force. During September, as other ships joined the force, she was at Buckner Bay, and, in October, she moved on to Shanghai. In mid-October, she helped to lift Chinese Army units to Formosa, then she joined the "Magic Carpet" fleet to carry veterans back to the United States.

ST. LOUIS completed her first "Magic Carpet" run at San Francisco on 9 November, and by mid-January 1946, made two more runs, both to islands in the Central and Southwest Pacific. In early February, she sailed for the east coast and arrived at Philadelphia for inactivation on the 25th. She was decommissioned on 20 June and berthed at League Island with the 16th (Inactive) Fleet through the decade. Early in the 1950's, she was designated for transfer to the government of Brazil. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1951, and, on the 29th, she was commissioned in the Brazilian Navy as TAMANDARE.

ST. LOUIS (CL-49) earned eleven battle stars during World War II.

[TAMANDARE (C-12) was stricken from the Brazilian Navy in 1976. Sold to breakers four years later, she foundered 24 August 1980 off South Africa while under tow to Taiwan.

39 posted on 07/15/2002 4:45:08 AM PDT by aomagrat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny; All; SAMWolf; 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub; tomkow6; coteblanche; COB1; JohnHuang2; ...
Thank you Bunny for posting these wonderful letters.

Hope you all have a great day. See you later.

Monday Mail Call

Mail call means our troops are near,
When they are happy, down or blue
They know how to write us here
At the USO Canteen we're waiting for you.

It doesn't matter where you are
It doesn't matter when
Anytime you need someone to talk to,
We are here to be your friend.

If you need someone to play a song,
To post a graphic or to say I care
If you need a shoulder to cry on,
Know that the Canteen is always there.

Mail call is a window to your soul
but if the weight gets to be too much
Take a look at the Canteeners heart
You'll find good friends with the right touch.

United we stand to our country defend,
Through the good times and the bad
You're never alone; the Canteen is your friend
So until next mail call… oh, what a time we had.

49 posted on 07/15/2002 5:31:40 AM PDT by Victoria Delsoul
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny; SAMWolf; SassyMom; DoughtyOne; 4TheFlag; MeeknMing; 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub; ...
Good morning all!!

Since it's been a couple of weeks since I gave an update on Eric, and some of you have been asking how he's doing, I thought I'd fill you in on some of the things he's been up to.

First of all, he is still loving boot camp! He called us last night, and was so excited because they had done their final PT evaluation, and he scored 2nd in his entire Platoon, so was chosen as a Squad Leader!! He will have 15 men under him in his squad. He was also given a medal for Bayonet marksmanship last week.........I can just picture him running through the woods thrusting a bayonetted rifle at targets! He must have had a blast doing that!

On Friday they were put in a gas chamber with masks on, told to take them off, which he said was horrible (no surprise there), and then answer a question before they were allowed to leave the room. I won't give details, but he said he was coughing like crazy, and that there was something flowing out of every orifice in his head when he got outside! Then he said it was 'fun.''s where I insert the basic fact of life that boys are different from girls. :o)

He's really looking forward to the next two weeks which will be spent entirely on the firing range. He'll fire live ammo for the first time and learn to use a hand grenade (extra prayers for that, please!!)

He's missing home and freedom quite a bit, and told his older sister in a letter that he would be more than happy to 'run any errand Mom and Dad asked him to' right now.......and I'd love to have him home to do just that! But in spite of his being a bit homesick, he said that he knows he 'is where God wants him to be'

He also told us on the phone that one of the young men he's been witnessing to bought a Bible at the PX, and wants Eric to start a Bible study with him!
Praise the Lord!

I'd like to thank all of you for praying for Eric, for the young men he's sharing the Gospel with, and for us! I had a good long cry after we talked with him last night, and I miss him so badly it hurts, but it is so thrilling to know that he is so happy being where he is, and to be so very proud that he is willingly serving this fabulous country of ours!!

54 posted on 07/15/2002 5:40:36 AM PDT by ohioWfan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny
Howdy, Ms. Bunny and I hope yer havin' a wunnerful mornin'. Could I trouble you fer a cup o' java? Of course, please make mine black...

"We'll Know Sweet Justice"
(To be sung to R.E.M.'s "Green Grow the Rushes")

The Twin Tower's fallen...blood's on Slick's hands!!
Slick couldda stopped the Taliban...
Reading polls, Bill chose to snooze...
How could he lose?! Press hides the news.

Lib'rals Hate building, ain't Envy grand?!
The Truth's been whitewashed...Gotta fight Left's Evil Band!!
Slick's gonna go down...gotta go down!!

We know El Rushbo knows...
We know John Ashcroft knows...
We know that Dubyuh knows...
Blind Justice, make Prison Slick's home!!

Fight fer yer FReedom...ain't another way!!
Guilty associates, True Justice requires Clinton's Crimes be shown!!
Guilty Lib'ral HO's!!!

Ignore the RINOs...word is they're not too brave.
They're lasses that hide from conflict...they waste the air that they breathe...
Good Patriots lead again!!!

We know Rush Limbaugh knows...
We know George Dubyuh knows...
FReepers show the Country how...
Sweet Justice Bless our Righteous Home!!

FReegards...MUD it or not, Justice for the Guilty in the previous Administration will be an underlying theme in the November '02 Elections, so the GOP oughtta get itself out front of the Parade!!

11 posted on 2/13/02 11:10 PM Eastern by Mudboy Slim

67 posted on 07/15/2002 6:25:44 AM PDT by Mudboy Slim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: MistyCA; Beep; Snow Bunny; AntiJen; SpookBrat
My serious biking began in Manhattan Beach,CA so I know what you described yesterday,Misty. I have the (tighter) black shorts,shoes,helmet,gloves,pocketsinback shirt. My neighbor had raced with the Santa Monica Club and his teammate had a shop. I still have the 35 yr oldshorts with replaced chamois crotch. I got ticketed for not stopping and not riding in the gutter. But I have good arguments. I was never rude,however. Beep,I have a Mtn bike which is easier on the back and butt. But I love the lighter feel of my Italvega and since they repaved my road which may last 2 years I get out to hear it hum. Jen, Your bike will warm up those muscles if you start slow. I always wear a helmet to protect my other brain.Brat..Walking and swimming are two better ways to warm up and strengthen the back. Sitting weakens the abs and the back so we must work these muscles daily and together. I'll FReepmail you later. Also write Jen,Spooky.
89 posted on 07/15/2002 7:02:15 AM PDT by larryjohnson
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny; AntiJen; SK1 Thurman; MistyCA; 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub; whoever; Aquamarine; All
Good Morning, everyone! It's been a while, and I'm working the night shift today(ONLY today, hopefully) and figured I'd stop in to say hello. Mrs. Cut sends her greetings as well. Since we've been having a lovely Summer here and we're only blocks from the beach, we've been enjoying Margaritaville. Hope everyone's allright.

91 posted on 07/15/2002 7:04:12 AM PDT by Long Cut
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny
Monday Mail Call...Bump !!

Support Our Troops !!

Lest We Forget !!

Freedom Is Worth Fighting For !!

Molon Labe !!
137 posted on 07/15/2002 8:34:54 AM PDT by blackie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny; Victoria Delsoul; ClaraSuzanne; COB1; All
Beautiful, touching letters! Thank You to all of you for writing these very special letters.




155 posted on 07/15/2002 8:55:00 AM PDT by deadhead
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny; All
Heaven in time of war: 6,700 ribeyes

A place to take our business,ping.

440 posted on 07/15/2002 5:23:50 PM PDT by mdittmar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Snow Bunny; All
Good Evening All....
Sorry I havent been around the last couple of days, but Ive been working on my days off LOL......Tonkin and Sam, I am now in training for the bad boyz..and Ms. DelSoul...Im in love..LOL
456 posted on 07/15/2002 5:37:48 PM PDT by For_God_and_Country
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson