Skip to comments.Over 80 Bishops Say Abortion/Life Issues Defining Issues of Election
Posted on 10/27/2008 10:29:15 PM PDT by MountainLoop
WASHINGTON, October 27, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) A comprehensive list compiled by InsideCatholic.com reveals that more than 80 U.S. bishops have proclaimed abortion and the life issues to be the defining issues in the upcoming election, including 22 bishops who signed on to a joint statement by the New York bishops, and another 10 bishops who signed on to a Pennsylvania joint statement.
Just three days ago, LifeSiteNews.com reported that popular Catholic writer and blogger Rocco Palmo had calculated that approximately 50 bishops have proclaimed abortion and the life issues to be the defining issues in the election; but according to InsideCatholic the number is significantly greater than that.
Increasingly, and with increasing urgency, the shepherds of the U.S. Church are encouraging their flock to see the gift of life as the most important election issue even in the midst of a war and a struggling economy. As the New York bishops write, "The inalienable right to life of every innocent human person outweighs other concerns where Catholics may use prudential judgment, such as how best to meet the needs of the poor or to increase access to health care for all."
Many of the bishops have also observed that abortion is not the only violation against the right to life that voters must consider, but have urged Catholics to consider the candidate's positions on euthanasia, embryonic stem cell research, and other violations against the human embryo.
(Excerpt) Read more at lifesitenews.com ...
That is interesting. In our chruch bulletin our priest put a notice about some flyers that someone had put on car windsheilds. I don’t know what was said and he didn’t share that in his statement which bascially said that the choice of President is personal to each individual...this coming from a Catholic Priest. I would have thought he would have said something about the abortion issue. So wonder where he stands? Oh and did I mention our new parish priest is black? He is so who knows who he is leaning for in this election.
We need to show this to our Catholic friends.
InsideCatholic.com's list of bishops proclaiming abortion as the main election issue:
(Note that numbers 58 and 59 encompass 22 and 10 bishops respectively, who are included in joint statements issued by the bishops of New York and Pennsylvania)
1. Archbishop Charles Chaput of Denver
2. Bishop James Conley, auxiliary of Denver
3. Archbishop Donald Wuerl of Washington, D.C.
4. Justin Cardinal Rigali of Philadelphia, chairman of the Committee on Pro-Life Activities
5. Bishop William Lori of Bridgeport, chairman of the Committee on Doctrine
6. Edward Cardinal Egan of New York
7. Bishop Samuel Aquila of Fargo
8. Bishop David Zubik of Pittsburgh
9. Bishop Michael Sheridan of Colorado Springs
10. Archbishop Jose Gomez of San Antonio
11. Bishop Oscar Cantu, auxiliary of San Antonio
12. Bishop William Murphy of Rockville
13. Bishop Edward Slattery of Tulsa
14. Bishop Kevin Farrell of Dallas
15. Bishop Gregory Aymond of Austin
16. Sean Cardinal O'Malley of Boston
17. Bishop Thomas Wenski of Orlando
18. Archbishop John Nienstedt of Saint Paul/Minneapolis
19. Francis Cardinal George of Chicago, President of the USCCB
20. Bishop Robert Vasa of Baker
21. Bishop Jerome Listecki of La Crosse
22. Bishop Richard Lennon of Cleveland
23. Bishop Ralph Nickless of Sioux City
24. Archbishop George Niederauer of San Francisco
25. Bishop Glen Provost of Lake Charles, LA
26. Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio of Brooklyn
27. Bishop Joseph F. Martino of Scranton
28. Archbishop Raymond Burke, Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura
30. Bishop Peter J. Jugis of Charlotte
31. Bishop Michael F. Burbidge of Raleigh
32. Archbishop Joseph Naumann of Kansas City, KS
33. Bishop Robert Finn of Kansas City-St. Joseph, MO
34. Bishop Robert C. Morlino of Madison, WS
35. Bishop Ronald Gilmore of Dodge City, KS
36. Bishop Paul Coakley of Salina, KS
37. Bishop Michael Jackels of Wichita
38. Bishop Gerald M. Barbarito of Palm Beach
39. Bishop Kevin W. Vann of Fort Worth
40. Bishop Rene H. Gracida, retired, of Corpus Christi
41. Daniel Cardinal DiNardo of Houston
42. Bishop Paul S. Loverde of Arlington
43. Bishop Francis X. DiLorenzo of Richmond
44. Bishop William Murphy of Rockville Center
45. Bishop Robert McManus of Worcester
46. Bishop Arthur Serratelli of Patterson
47. Bishop Robert Herrmann of St. Louis
48. Archbishop Edwin O'Brien of Baltimore
49. Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted of Phoenix
50. Bishop Thomas D. Doran of Rockford
51. Bishop Joseph A. Galante of Camden
52. Bishop Robert J. Baker of Birmingham
53. Archbishop Alexander J. Brunett of Seattle
54. Bishop J. Peter Sartain of Joliet
55. Bishop John M. Smith of Trenton
56. Bishop Earl Boyea of Lansing
57. Bishop Leonard R. Blair of Toledo
58. Joint Statement by the bishops of New York State (22 bishops)
59. Joint Statement by the bishops of Pennsylvania (10 bishops)
**We need to show this to our Catholic friends.**
And priests, if they are not obeying their Bishops!
Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see the Archbishop of New Orleans on the list.
Don't have to, thank goodness.
Send a note to Deal Hudson at this address/page to add him to the list.
Of course mine's on the list. He and Bishop Kevin Vann are the ones that penned the recent letter that's been getting so much attention.
Our Lady of the Lake.
Oops, should be: our Monsignor read the letter.
Where is Archbishop Wilton Gregory of Atlanta?
Yep! My Bishop, McManus, is on the list!
Faith sharing bump.
Inspirational bump for this thread.
Bishops and priests in Los Angeles don’t speak up for Life because they will alienate the liberals (cafeteria Catholics). I am going to help some other parishioners get the word out in front of church next weekend.
"Greetings: Here's a site by Walter Kmiec, a pro-life Catholic lawyer who served as legal counsel to Reagan and George H.W. Bush. The site has abortion reduction facts, Obama's plans related to abortion reduction, and books/articles related to socio-economic and legal policies that reduce the incidence of abortion in society. He makes his argument for supporting Obama without challenging current official Roman Catholic teaching on abortion and without dismissing abortion reduction efforts as unimportant in comparison to other more pressing moral concerns facing our country.
“Billionaire investor George Soros is bankrolling liberal Catholic groups that support abortion.
An investigation by the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights finds that George Soros’ Open Society Institute gave Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good $50,000 in 2005 and $100,000 in 2006. Catholic League president Bill Donohue suspects that Soros may also be funding the group Catholics United, an organization with which Catholics in Alliance has a formal relationship. Donahue contends both groups are “in the pocket of the Democratic Party” and are trying to sell Catholics the notion that they can be opponents of abortion and not seek to overturn Roe v. Wade if they support minimum wage and more welfare benefits.”
Let us know what you find out!!
That is wonderful of you to do that. Blessings!
Kmiec is a Catholic in Name Only CINO — just like I bet he is a dimocrat.
Don’t bother with him, other than praying for his soul, because right now he’s heading in a downward spiral.
Billionaire leftist [Soros] funds liberal Catholics
George Soros Funding Catholic "groups" making Obama Seem Pro-life on Abortion
Catholic League claims Catholic political groups are financed by George Soros
Soros Funds Catholic Groups Making Obama Seem Pro-Life Catholic League Alleges that George Soros Funds 'Catholic Left'
I’m not involved with anyone. I’m quite the heathen. I oppose abortion and I was interested to see an old friend, a priest, try to justify Obama’s position on abortion as moral.
Is there some info on this Kmiec I can use as a comback if the priest replies to my e-mail?
I’m surprised I don’t see Archbishop Meyer from Newark NJ on the list. I could have sworn he made a good pro-life statement. I’ll have to do some digging...
Thanks very much for the ping and post, Salvation.
Hang on here................
Little Murders [Bishop Chaput Slams Obama on Abortion & Blasts Kmiec for Misleading Catholics]
OPINION: Doug Kmiecs Can a Catholic Support Him? Asks the Wrong Question
OPINION: Doug Kmiecs Book, the Nature of Freedom and a 'good' Conscience
Douglas Kmiec Defends Barack Obama's Vote Against Abortion-Infanticide Bill
Editorial: Disagreeing with Doug Kmiec One More Time
DOUG KMIEC: Catholic Reasons for Hope in the General Election
Opinion: Doug Kmiec on McCain v. Obama at Saddleback
I know why my Archbishop, Mahoney, is not on the list. He’s light in the loafers. He does put up a cheery, designer Christmas tree at his “cathedral”, however. God bless the bishops who are willing to speak out and guide their flocks. In California, we are in a spiritual desert with no one to guide us. May God hold our California church leadership accountable for being weak, fearful, tepid, and anti-family.
I am so tired of seeing a wimpy little man on the altar whose homily is full of platitudes. What kind of example is that to little boys with vocations? Who would want to grow up to be a priest, if that was the only type of priest they saw?
Sorry, just fed up today... They should all be vocal that Catholics must vote for our viable, pro-life candidate.
**They should all be vocal that Catholics must vote for our viable, pro-life candidate.**
I thought of this today also when I posted it. Why aren’t all 197 (I think) bishops on this list?
Most Reverend Edward W. Clark
Our Lady of the Angels Pastoral
5835 W. Slauson Avenue
Culver City, CA 90230
Most Reverend Thomas J. Curry
Santa Barbara Pastoral Region
3240 Calle Pinon
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Most Reverend Alexander Salazar
San Pedro Pastoral Region
3555 St. Pancratius Place
Lakewood, Ca 90712-1416
Most Reverend Oscar A. Solis
3424 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90010-2241
Most Reverend Gerald E. Wilkerson
P.O. Box 7608
Mission Hills, CA 91346-7608
Most Reverend Gabino Zavala
San Gabriel Pastoral Region
16009 East Cypress Avenue
Irwindale, CA 91706-2122
Most Reverend Juan A. Arzube
Former Auxiliary Bishop of Los Angeles
Most Reverend Joseph M. Sartoris
Former Auxiliary Bishop of Los Angeles
Most Reverend John J. Ward
Former Auxiliary Bishop of Los Angeles
Thank you so much!
Kind of frustrating!!!!!!!!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.