Skip to comments.Smoking Bans Burn Buisness (In Delaware)
Posted on 12/15/2002 3:37:30 PM PST by qam1Edited on 05/07/2004 6:01:25 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]
As Delaware's indoor smoking ban enters its third week, most establishments appear to be observing the law - even though opposition is growing among some tavern and restaurant owners who complain they are losing business.
People were smoking in only two of 33 bars and restaurants visited by News Journal reporters last week. Many tavern owners and patrons said they are obeying the law while organizing to try to overturn or amend it when the General Assembly returns in January. Several owners said they think they have lost 20 percent to 50 percent of their business since the ban went into effect on Nov. 27.
(Excerpt) Read more at delawareonline.com ...
"It may take awhile for the nonsmokers to discover," that Delaware establishments are smoke-free."
If that wasn't so tragic that would be funny.
Of course everybody knows Delaware is smoke free. That is why you are losing money stupid.
These politicans will go on believing this nonsense forever. They are mistakenly basing it on the fact that 25% of people are smokers and 75% are not and polls done by the antismoking nazis show that a majority of nonsmokers "SAY" the will go out more if bans are put in place.
The flaws in that are
1) They assume because 75% don't smoke that means that 75% of peoiple feel the same way about cigarettes as the antismoker Nazis that are in their face lobbying them do. Not true, Most nonsmokers don't care about smoking. Even if they dislike smoking that doesn't mean they are currently changing anything they do to avoid it. An analogy is me personally I don't like SUVs but I am not driving less because there are SUVs on the road. The same is true with most nonsmokers. Most are not going out any less because there is smoking in bars & Resturants.
2) In fact the Opposite is happening as the bans cause smokers to flee to surrounding areas their non-smokeing freinds are joining them and in many cases they are even arranging there get togethers (like weddings & parties)in places that accomendate their smoking friends. Using myself again me and bunch of friends smokers and non-smokers this summer were going down to NYC for a trip but because of the smoking ban we are going up to Montreal instead. Not one of the nonsmokers protested this descision, They also think the ban is a stupid idea.
3) The polls are coming from the Antismoking Nazis themslves so they are obviously biased.
4) The polls are flawed because What people SAY they are going to do is often very different from what they actually end up doing. Another analogy is if you were to take a poll before New Years asking what resolutions people are planning on you would find 60%-80% would say they are going to lose weight. So would those poll numbers justify banning junk food because most people SAY they want to lose weight. Of course not and the same is true with smoking bans. Sure when asked they may say they will go out more just like they say they will lose weight but in reality they don't. That is why these bans are failing big time , The people who said they would go out more simply aren't.
5) What exactly does "Go out more" mean anyhow? It's a vague question with a vague meaning. The fact is most people don't go to bars & resturants on a regular basis anyhow. So If they call some 50 year old mother of 3 who only goes out 1 or twice a year and she responses "Yes I would go out more" what does that mean she will go out 3 times a year instead of 2? Well sorry she doesn't replace the buisness lost to someone who goes out more often.
6) OK, Some antismoking Nazis might go out more often but I am sorry if someone is that Prissy about second hand smoke they are not the type that will stay out late at night at a bar or resturant. These are the type of people that go to a resturant and only order a salad and bottle water and leave a dollar tip and then are home in bed by 8:30.
I have delt with these antismoking nazis and they the most misable, unfunloving people in the world, They are not hanging out in bars because people are having fun there and they hate that.
Dallas is in trouble, money-wise, and what do they do - vote a smoking ban.
I would like to have seen smokers get together, buy media time and announce they would not spend a nickle in Dallas during Christmas. If they would have just taken their business to other towns without the restrictive laws, it would have made a difference. Unfortunately, Americans do not fight back. WE just sit and take it, anything the want to dish out.
I beg to differ! I quit smoking over a month ago after smoking for 40 years. Cold turkey! PEOPLE should not be allowed to smoke in any public place. I see someone smoking on the streets and I lecture them, telling them of the evils of smoking. I.......... wait a minute, I think there is some law that requires me to say these crazy things since I quit. Somebody slap me!
But the only power the American has is his purchasing power - his pocketbook -and we refuse to use it.
You said it exactly right!
From my original post "Somebody slap me!" Damn it that's humor!
Now I agree a business SHOULD have the right to control his own business. I hope more smoking establishments are opened across the borders to draw business away from the Nazi states.
I was about to go two steps further till I caught your sarcasm........ :)
The only smoke free places I know of certainly aren't much fun. Those that I have frequented were inhabited by a couple people adjacent to me who were obviously in need of showers and deodorant. So tell me, what am I to do? Body odor offends me so I think we are in need of a BO Bill which requires such offenders be prohibited from any public/private establishment. You with me on this one or are you the typical smoke-nazi hypocrite?