Free Republic 1st Quarter Fundraising Target: $88,000 Receipts & Pledges to-date: $81,615
Woo hoo!! And now less than $6.4k to go!! Thank you all very much!!

Keyword: alnashiri

Brevity: Headers | « Text »
  • Ex CIA chief John Brennan to Trump: ‘America will Triumph over You’

    03/17/2018 10:33:34 AM PDT · by sam_whiskey · 194 replies
    USA Today ^ | 3-17-18 | Sean Rossman
    <p>The former director of the Central Intelligence Agency, in a venomous tweet Saturday, accused President Trump of political corruption and warned, "America will triumph over you."</p> <p>John Brennan's biting two-sentence statement came in response to a Friday evening tweet in which the president celebrated the ouster of FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe. "When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history," he wrote. "You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but will not destroy America... America will triumph over you."</p>
  • Supreme Court won't take case of alleged USS Cole mastermind

    10/16/2017 5:18:18 PM PDT · by Olog-hai · 6 replies
    Associated Press ^ | Oct 16, 2017 9:40 AM EDT
    The Supreme Court is leaving in place a decision that the alleged mastermind of the 2000 attack on the USS Cole that killed 17 U.S. sailors should face a trial by a military commission. The court on Monday declined to take up the case of Saudi national Abd al Rahim al-Nashiri. Al-Nashiri had sought to challenge the authority of a military commission in Guantánamo Bay hearing his case. But an appeals court ruled last year that al-Nashiri’s challenge would have to wait until after his trial. …
  • Appeals court refuses to halt trial in USS Cole attack

    08/30/2016 10:36:06 AM PDT · by Olog-hai · 16 replies
    Associated Press ^ | Aug 30, 2016 1:03 PM EDT | Sam Hananel
    A federal appeals court on Tuesday refused to halt the military commission trial of a Saudi national charged with orchestrating the 2000 attack on the USS Cole that killed 17 U.S. sailors. The 2-1 ruling said that Abd al Rahim al-Nashiri can’t challenge the commission’s authority to hear his case until after the proceeding has run its course. Al-Nashiri argued that military commissions only have authority over offenses that take place during an armed conflict. He said his actions were not war crimes because the U.S. was not officially at war with al-Qaida at the time of the attack. But...
  • Obama's Bloody Yemen Disaster

    01/23/2015 5:34:10 AM PST · by Kaslin · 16 replies ^ | January 23, 2015 | Michelle Malkin
    When President Obama declares something a "success story," you know it has "TOTAL FAILURE" embedded in its DNA. Four months ago, America's King Midas in Reverse crowed about the fruits of his triumphant foreign policy in jihad-infested Yemen. A "light footprint" approach to counterterrorism operations, he claimed, was the most effective path to stability. In addition, Obama has shoveled nearly $1 billion in American tax-subsidized foreign aid to Yemen. Four months later, Iran-backed Shia rebels seized a Yemeni presidential palace. The president and his entire cabinet tendered their resignations on Thursday, creating a vacuum that al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula...
  • 9th Circuit Affirms Military Comm. Has Authority over Gitmo Terrorist

    12/26/2013 1:41:08 PM PST · by jazusamo · 7 replies
    Judicial Watch ^ | December 26, 2013
    The leftist human rights groups pushing for Guantanamo terrorists to be tried in the civilian legal system should take note that a famously liberal federal appeals court affirmed the Military Commission at Gitmo has jurisdiction in the case against an Al Qaeda operative who bombed a U.S. Navy ship in Yemen. The ruling, issued by the San Francisco-based 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, is a blow to the powerful leftwing organizations—including the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch—that have long fought to afford Islamic terrorists the same rights as American citizens. For years they have...
  • Hearing in Cole Attack Is Delayed Again, This Time by E-mail Security Issue (Al Nashiri)

    04/30/2013 7:00:06 AM PDT · by Eagle of Liberty · 6 replies
    The New York Times ^ | April 11, 2013 | CHARLIE SAVAGE
    Problems with defense lawyers’ e-mails and computer files prompted a military commission judge on Thursday to postpone a pretrial hearing that had been scheduled for next week in the case of a Guantánamo Bay detainee accused of helping [He is the accused MASTERMIND] to plot the 2000 bombing of the destroyer Cole. It was the latest delay to bog down the death-penalty case against the detainee, a Saudi named Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri. His last hearing, in February, was cut short when prosecutors asked that his mental health be evaluated, apparently to foreclose any future appeal based on the potential argument...
  • The Deadly Disgrace of Obama's Pro-Terrorist Lawyers

    10/12/2012 1:35:12 AM PDT · by Kaslin · 6 replies ^ | October 12, 2012 | Michelle Malik
    October 12 marks the 12th anniversary of the bombing of the USS Cole. The grim milestone comes as President Obama faces mounting questions about his administration's dereliction of duty during the murderous attack on our consulate in Benghazi, Libya. And it comes just a day after resurgent al-Qaida thugs pulled off the drive-by assassination of a top Yemeni security official who worked at the U.S. embassy in Sanaa. These are not "bumps in the road." These are gravesites on the blood-spattered path to surrender. Seventeen U.S. sailors died in the brutal suicide attack on the guided Navy missile destroyer as...
  • Vanishing files delay Guantanamo hearings in 9/11 case

    04/17/2013 7:36:31 PM PDT · by haffast · 4 replies
    Reuters ^ | 4-17-2013 | Jane Sutton
    MIAMI (Reuters) - Guantanamo war crimes prosecutions of five prisoners charged with plotting the September 11 hijacked planes attacks will be delayed by two months because of lost files caused by Pentagon computer problems, U.S. military officials said on Wednesday. A weeklong pretrial hearing had been set to begin on Monday in the death penalty case against Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the accused mastermind of the attacks, and four alleged co-conspirators. The judge overseeing the case postponed the hearing until June 17 at the request of defense lawyers who said three to four weeks' worth of their confidential work files had...
  • Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri Military Tribunal Arraignment (Gitmo)

    11/09/2011 4:00:06 PM PST · by jazusamo · 3 replies
    Judicial Watch ^ | November 9, 2011
    Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, Cuba -- November 9, 2011 Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri was escorted into a top security courtroom at Guantanamo Bay Naval Station Wednesday morning by an army of military officers. Clean shaven and with short-cropped hair, the al-Qaeda terrorist charged with orchestrating the 2000 attack on the Navy destroyer USS Cole chose to wear his white prison jump suit to the arraignment of his military tribunal. In fact, he told the judge through his Arabic interpreter that he “intended to show up” in his “prison uniform” though he knew of his right to wear civilian clothes. Al-Nashiri...
  • WikiLeaks: al-Qaeda leader put jihad before a sex life(took injections to kill his libido)

    04/26/2011 4:15:56 PM PDT · by TigerLikesRooster · 37 replies
    Telegraph ^ | 04/26/11 | Holly Watt
    WikiLeaks: al-Qaeda leader put jihad before a sex life One of the most senior members of al-Qaeda held at Guantánamo took injections “to promote impotence” to avoid being “distracted” by women, according to evidence uncovered by investigators. By Holly Watt 10:31PM BST 26 Apr 2011 Abd al-Rahim Hussein Muhammad Abdah al-Nashiri, a Saudi Arabian, was said to have reported directly to Osama bin Laden. His interrogators reported: “Detainee is so dedicated to jihad that he reportedly received injections to promote impotence and recommended the injections to others.” He received the injections “so more time could be spent on jihad –...
  • Military Documents Detail Life At Guantanamo (More Classified Documents Leaked)

    04/24/2011 7:12:34 PM PDT · by kristinn · 11 replies
    NPR ^ | Sunday, April 24, 2011 | Dina Temple-Raston, Tom Gjelten and Margot Williams
    Thousands of pages of previously secret military documents about detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison now put a name, a history and a face on hundreds of men in captivity there. The documents include details on 158 men on whom no information has ever been released. The hundreds of classified documents - marked "secret" and "noforn" meaning the information is not to be shared with representatives of other countries - are assessments, interviews and internal memos from the Pentagon's Joint Task Force at Guantanamo. The task force was supposed to determine who the detainees were, how they might be connected...
  • AP Exclusive: CIA whisked detainees from Gitmo

    08/10/2010 8:15:58 AM PDT · by Mikey_1962 · 23 replies · 5+ views
    AP ^ | 8-9-10 | AP
    Four of the nation's most highly valued terrorist prisoners were secretly moved to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in 2003, years earlier than has been disclosed, then were whisked back into overseas prisons before the Supreme Court could give them access to lawyers, The Associated Press has learned. The transfer allowed the U.S. to interrogate the detainees in CIA "black sites" for two more years without allowing them to speak with attorneys or human rights observers or challenge their detention in U.S. courts. Had they remained at the Guantanamo Bay prison for just three more months, they would have been afforded those...
  • Cole attack survivors angry at Obama

    10/12/2010 10:07:59 PM PDT · by Qbert · 43 replies
    Politico ^ | 10/12/2010 | Josh Gerstein
    The 10th anniversary of the bombing of the USS Cole on Tuesday conjured up painful memories for the families of the 17 Navy sailors who died in the terrorist attack, but it also revealed simmering anger at the Obama administration over the lack of concrete progress in bringing an alleged perpetrator to justice. In February 2009, less than three weeks after his inauguration, President Barack Obama held an emotional meeting with family members of victims of the Cole bombing and the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Families said the new president promised swift action yet pleaded for their patience so his...
  • Cole killer confusion

    08/28/2010 3:18:07 AM PDT · by Scanian · 9 replies
    NY Post ^ | August 28, 2010 | Editorial
    Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri is a man with blood on his hands. A year before 9/11, the Saudi al Qaeda operative masterminded the bombing of the guided-missile destroyer USS Cole, killing 17 sailors as the vessel refueled in the Yemeni port of Aden. A Guantanamo tribunal was ready to arraign him last year, but since the Obama administration took office, it's been a case of trial and error. No trial -- plenty of error. As the 10th anniversary of the Oct. 12, 2000, attack looms, the White House has inexplicably frozen the prosecution. The Justice Department said this week that "no...
  • Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    08/27/2010 6:16:50 AM PDT · by teddyballgame · 144 replies · 1+ views
    Washington Compost ^ | 8/27/10 | Peter Finn
    The Obama administration has shelved the planned prosecution of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged coordinator of the Oct. 2000 suicide attack on the USS Cole in Yemen, according to a court filing. The decision at least temporarily scuttles what was supposed to be the signature trial of a major al-Qaeda figure under a reformed system of military commissions. And it comes practically on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the attack, which killed 17 sailors and wounded dozens when a boat packed with explosives ripped a hole in the side of the warship in the port of Aden.
  • Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    08/27/2010 3:57:13 AM PDT · by afraidfortherepublic · 46 replies
    Washington Post ^ | 8-26-10 | Peter Finn
    The Obama administration has shelved the planned prosecution of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged coordinator of the Oct. 2000 suicide attack on the USS Cole in Yemen, according to a court filing. The decision at least temporarily scuttles what was supposed to be the signature trial of a major al-Qaeda figure under a reformed system of military commissions. And it comes practically on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the attack, which killed 17 sailors and wounded dozens when a boat packed with explosives ripped a hole in the side of the warship in the port of Aden. In...
  • U.S. Says Al-Qaida Hit Hard by Arrests (had leading role in 9/11 attacks)

    04/30/2003 4:55:26 PM PDT · by Wolfstar · 18 replies · 349+ views
    AP via Yahoo News | 4/30/03 | John J. Lumpkin
    WASHINGTON - Pakistani authorities have captured a man accused of playing a leading role in the Sept. 11 attacks and the bombing of an American warship in Yemen, a catch President Bush called a "major, significant find" in the war against the ailing al-Qaida network. Waleed bin Attash, also known as Tawfiq Attash or just Khallad, coordinated the activities of at least two of the hijackers who crashed into the Pentagon during the Sept. 11 attacks, U.S. counterterrorism officials said. He is also one of two figures described as masterminds of the bombing of the U.S. Navy destroyer on Oct....
  • DOD Announces Military Commissions Actions [al-Nashiri]

    11/21/2009 8:48:24 PM PST · by Cindy · 13 replies · 420+ views - Release No. 917-09 ^ | November 20, 2009 | n/a
    Note: The following text is a quote: IMMEDIATE RELEASE No. 917-09 November 20, 2009 DOD Announces Military Commissions Actions Today, prosecutors in the Office of Military Commissions announced they intend to ask the convening authority to refer new charges under the recently-enacted Military Commissions Act of 2009 against Abd al-Rahim Hussein Muhammed Abdu al-Nashiri, in connection with the bombing of the USS Cole in the port of Aden, Yemen, in October 2000. The bombing resulted in the deaths of 17 sailors and injuries to many more. This announcement follows the attorney general's determination on Nov. 13, 2009, that a military...
  • Remember The Cole

    02/06/2009 7:57:05 PM PST · by Kaslin · 19 replies · 1,358+ views
    IBD Editorials ^ | February 6, 2009
    War On Terror: Charges against the mastermind behind the bombing of the USS Cole are dismissed. He will be retried, but not by a military commission that would have given him the death penalty he deserves.Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell announced on Thursday that Susan Crawford, the convening authority for military tribunals at Guantanamo, has made the decision to withdraw charges against Abd al-Rahim Hussain Mohammed al-Nashiri. This is the Saudi man believed to be the architect of the bombing of the guided missile destroyer USS Cole, killing 17 American sailors, as it sat in the Yemeni port of Aden. The...
  • Blowing Smoke at Terrorists

    08/26/2009 3:07:55 PM PDT · by Species8472 · 11 replies · 929+ views
    CNS News ^ | August 26, 2009 | Terence P. Jeffrey
    Abd al Rahim al-Nashiri, according to the 9-11 commission report, was the mastermind of the Oct. 12, 2000, attack on the U.S.S. Cole that killed 17 U.S. sailors. Nashiri was also the target of an "unauthorized" CIA interrogation technique (that had not been legally vetted by the Justice Department) that is described in a May 7, 2004, CIA inspector general's report that was partially declassified by the Obama administration this week. CIA officers blew smoke in Nashiri's face, according to the report, and they used cigars. The IG's office described this smoke-blowing as one of several "unauthorized or undocumented techniques"...