Skip to comments.Wonton Safety Risks Were Nearly Recipe for Disaster at ‘Deathtrap’ Chinese Restaurant
Posted on 01/09/2014 1:20:25 PM PST by nickcarraway
Safety bosses who shut down a deathtrap Chinese restaurant were spoilt for choice on a menu of misdemeanours that could have blown up an entire neighbourhood.
Leaking gas pipes, botched electrical wiring and fire doors that had been screwed shut were among the flagrant safety breaches found at the eatery.
Describing the China House as a ticking timebomb, the experts said the faults could have caused an explosion that would have flattened streets and shut down the West Coast mainline.
They accused husband and wife owners Wen Qiang Cai and Yun Qin Weng of putting profit before safety as they revoked the diners licence.
During an inspection at the building police also found the couple were using a bottled gas to cook meals, connected from the gas supply by leaky washing machine hoses.
The electricity meter had also been illegally tampered with and there was no escape route for staff and diners at the two-storey restaurant.
Police also reported suspicions that the restaurant which boasts five karaoke rooms was being used as a brothel and lap dancing club.
Fire safety officer Michael Walker said: These premises were so dangerous that if a fire had started people could have lost their lives. The West Coast mainline is 200 yards away and the impact on the line could have cost millions of pounds to repair.
The couple of Chorley, Lancashire, claim they have addressed the issues. They have been given 21 days to appeal against the order to close down.
I’ll have the boom and broccoli to go please...
You didn’t deliberately mis-spell the first word of the headline. I checked, LOL.
Not to mention the soup ...
The landord was Sum Ting Wong?
ahhhh.....ye old airliner report...best and most brilliant gag ever...
So long as no one calls me a racist (I’m part Chinese).
They were “Weng”ing it!
Sum Ting Wong PING?
Who got custody of all the dogs and cats?
You no wolly, we no let no lasis joke in dis folum.
OK, So they had safety violations —— Big deal!
How was the food? Was the cat in the kettle? Like at the Peking Moon where I eat everyday at Noon?
This shows you what nonsense regulation is to start with. Did the restaurant just open recently? Why didn’t the electric company monitor the power consumption and act to protect its interests? What did prior inspections report?
Wonton disregard of health and safety regulations
“I said not to mention ‘the soup’!”
:: fire doors that had been screwed shut ::
Did you ever think when you eat Chinese, It ain't pork or chicken but a fat siamese Yet the food tastes great so you don't complain But that's not chicken in your chicken chow mein Seems to me I ordered sweet and sour pork But Garfield's on my fork He's purring here on my fork
There's a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon The place that I eat every day at noon They can feed you cat and you'll never know Once they wrap it up in dough, boy, They fry it real crisp in dough
Chow Lin asks if I wanted more, As he was dialling up his buddy at the old pet store I said not today, I lost my appetite, There's two cats in my belly and they want to fight I was sucking on a Rolaids and a Tums or two When I swear I heard it mew, boy And that is when I knew
There's a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon I think I got to stop eating there at noon They say that it's beef or fish or pork But it's purring there on my fork There's a hair ball on my fork
Sounds as if the couple had found and “renovated” one of FU MANCHU’S many opium dens!
No rap dance for you!
Best to get to go order.
Or wanton WonTon?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.