Skip to comments.One sickened by McDonald's fumes dies
Posted on 09/08/2011 9:14:04 AM PDT by rawhide
A hospital official says one person who was sickened by fumes at a McDonald's restaurant in Pooler has died.
Memorial University Medical Center spokesman Michael Notrica confirmed the death Thursday but said he could not provide any details about the person.
Authorities said 10 people were taken to the hospital Wednesday after firefighters found two customers unconscious inside a restaurant bathroom and others struggling to breathe. Notrica said eight were treated and released and two were admitted for treatment.
Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons earlier said one of the customers found unconscious was in critical condition, but it was not clear whether that was the person who died.
The restaurant was evacuated but a statement later issued by McDonald's said the restaurant had reopened after authorities deemed it safe.
Wrong mixture of common cleaning supplies produced chlorine gas?
Fumes at McDonald's leave 2 unconscious, sicken 9
Nine people were taken to a hospital after firefighters found two customers unconscious inside a bathroom and others struggling to breathe at a McDonald's restaurant outside Savannah, authorities said.
One of the customers who was found unconscious in the restroom was listed in critical condition Wednesday afternoon at Memorial Medical Center in Savannah, Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons said.
Simmons said the firefighters who first arrived smelled an unusual odor, and the restaurant was evacuated. He said people were complaining of difficulty breathing.
At least 20 people, including three Pooler firefighters who responded to the restaurant, were decontaminated by a hazardous materials team as a precaution, Simmons said.
Officials suspect cleaning chemicals in the restroom are to blame, but a specific cause had not been determined, Simmons said.
The restaurant is near I-95 and U.S. 80 in Pooler. The town is about 10 miles west of downtown Savannah.
A McDonald's representative at the company's Illinois headquarters was trying to obtain further information about the incident.
We peons will never know.
Bleach, ammonia, acids.
Mixing two common household/bathroom cleansers WILL generate poisonous gas;we had a new janitor nearly kill himself that way.And the management of an upscale restaraunt removed and banned one of those from their stores,because if only one of the two are used,either is perfectly safe.Mixing the two is disastrous.
Michael Moore farted?
Hope it wasn’t the special sauce.
Odd, this normally happens in the restroom at home a few hours after you've eaten there.
There are other similar reports out there. Too early to tell with this story, it could be an accident, I certainly hope it is.
Chlorine gas from chemicals is rather obnoxious and these people seem to have been taken unaware.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning maybe?
An 80-year-old Florida woman died Thursday after falling victim to fumes at a McDonald's restaurant in Pooler, Ga., the Associated Press reports. Anne Felton and her husband were customers at the restaurant, from which 10 people were taken to a hospital.
Where is Pooler?
Whaddaya think's in the burgers?
Location near a port. Someone testing a shipment? If this is not an accident, a real problem is traveling away from this region. Hope there is a handle on what happened quick.
Custodian poured bleach on top of Drano? Phosgene is a bitch!
Please don't say that - this McD's is just a couple of miles from my office and I eat there often.
Another Pooler McD's story... my sister, who lives in Pooler, had her son's bike stolen and she found it chained to a bike rack at that McDonalds. She asked the cops what to do and they said "it's your bike, take it back".
I went inside, found the manager behind the counter and loudly told him that one of his employees was a thief, I was taking the bike, and if he or anyone else had a problem with that they should bring it outside.
Went outside, fired up my generator and cut the lock off with my skil saw. Nobody said a word.
Hope this is a cleaning accident and nothing more...
Haven’t eaten at a McD’s in years. If they brought back the Big Mac For $1 special they used to have (what...10yrs ago?), I’d head there on foot right now.
Bleach and lye --> chlorine gas?
Another link for this incident ... http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/08/2396439/woman-sickened-by-fumes-at-ga.html
Simmons said the firefighters who first arrived smelled an unusual odor,
Odor? Then it definitely was not carbon monoxide.
Good point! You win the “Mr. Monk Award” of the year!
I don’t even understand why the firemen were there to begin with.
Didn’t say anything about someone calling them, or seeing something wrong, etc. It’s almost as if firemen were just there for lunch.
There does appear to be much missing in the reports. Unknown after unknown. Autopsy will provide some information. MHO ... that autopsy should be double time.
When I worked at McD there were at least 4 occasions when guys accidentally mixed bleach and ammonia. None of them wound up doing more damage than giving the person in question a viscous headache, but they all did it in large rooms too. It would be easy to do on accident and walk away, like to clean a toilet (dump them in the toilet and let them get some soak). It’s a tempting mixture for the uninformed cleaner, they both have very desirable cleaning properties, generally the 2 best cleaners in the building. And you don’t generally have the brightest and best working in fast food.
Couldn’t be, there were survivors.
Same situation where I used to work: cleanser (containing bleach) was still on the custodial supplies stock list, but ammonia had been dropped.
We had a good custodian who bought his own ammonia.
Your right on....I have heard of people mixing 2 different chemicals to clean toilets and died from the gas’s released. Got to be careful with glues also...I do crafts and accidently used two different glue’s and you could see the chemical reaction that floated up into to the air...never made that mistake again...
That’s Taco Bell!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.