Skip to comments.The Top 50 Excuses For Not Prepping
Posted on 05/21/2012 10:35:51 AM PDT by blam
The Top 50 Excuses For Not Prepping
With the way that things are heading in this country, it is not surprising that there are approximately 3 million preppers in the United States today. What is surprising is that there are not more people prepping. The economy is rapidly falling to pieces, the national debt is absolutely soaring, the earth is becoming increasingly unstable, a major war could erupt in the Middle East at any time and the fabric of our society is coming apart right in front of our eyes.
We have become incredibly dependent on technology and we have become incredibly dependent on our economic system. If a major natural disaster, a killer pandemic, an EMP attack or the imposition of martial law caused a significant transportation disruption, America would literally change overnight. We live during a time of tremendous global instability, and yet most people still see no need to start prepping at all. Most people just continue to have blind faith in our leaders and in our system. But what happens if our leaders fail us? What happens if our system collapses? What are they going to do then?
The number of preppers in the United States today is steadily increasing, but the vast majority of people out there still see no reason to start getting ready for "the end of the world as we know it". Most people just assume that things will always somehow get better or that they will somehow be immune to whatever calamities are heading our way. Most people always seem to have a "good excuse" for why they do not need to prepare.
The following are the top 50 excuses for not prepping....
1. "The U.S. Economy Is The Greatest Economy On The Planet - There Is No Way That It Could Ever Collapse"
2. "Once Barack Obama Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better"
3. "Once Mitt Romney Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better"
4. "When Things Get Really Bad The Government Will Take Care Of Us"
5. "When Disaster Strikes I Will Just Steal From Everyone Else That Has Been Busy Preparing"(ahem)
6. "The Rapture Will Be At Any Moment So I Don't Have To Worry About Prepping"
7. "The Economy Has Always Recovered After Every Recession In The Past And This Time Will Be No Different"
8. "The People That Are Running Things Are Very Highly Educated And They Know Exactly What They Are Doing"
9. "Wal-Mart Will Always Be There"
10. "Our Politicians Are Watching Out For Our Best Interests"
11. "The 2012 Apocalypse Is Almost Here And We Are All Doomed Anyway - So Why Even Try?"
12. "Preppers Do Not Have A Positive Mental Attitude"
13. "If An Economic Collapse Comes I Will Just Go On Welfare"
14. "There Are Some Things You Just Can't Prepare For"
15. "Prepping Is Too Expensive"
16. "We Are Not Like Other Countries - U.S. Cities Are Designed To Withstand Major Earthquakes"
17. "I Need To Save Up For Retirement Instead"
18. "The Stock Market Has Been Soaring So Why Worry?"
19. "I Don't Have Room To Store Anything"
20. "Prepping Is For Crazy People"
21. "I Don't Believe In Conspiracy Theories"
22. "All The Food I Store Is Going To Go Bad"
23. "I Would Rather Spend My Time Watching American Idol"
24. "All The People Who Freaked Out About Y2K Look Really Foolish Now, Don't They?"
25. "I Don't Want To Look Like Those Idiots On 'Doomsday Preppers'"
26. "An EMP Attack Could Never Happen"
27. "There Will Never Be A Nationwide Transportation Disruption In The United States"
28. "Instead Of Being So Paranoid, I Would Rather Just Enjoy Life"
29. "If Society Falls Apart I Wouldn't Want To Continue To Live Anyway"
30. "There Will Never Be Another World War"
31. "I'm Too Lazy To Grow A Garden"
32. "If You Assume The Worst Is Going To Happen Then You Don't Believe In America"
33. "Deficits Don't Matter"
34. "I'll Always Be Able To Get A Job In My Field"
35. "If There Is A Financial Collapse All Of My Debts Will Be Wiped Out So I Might As Well Live It Up Now"
36. "If Things Hit The Fan I Will Just Go Move In With My Relatives Who Have Been Busy Prepping"
37. "Those That Believe That There Will Be Massive Riots In American Cities Someday Are Just Being Delusional"
38. "My Spouse Would Think That I Have Finally Lost It"
39. "I Don't Know Where To Start"
40. "I'll Just Deal With Problems As They Arrive"
41. "I Don't Have To Prepare For A Natural Disaster - That Is What FEMA Is For"
42. "We'll Never See Martial Law In The United States"
43. "I Don't Want To Scare My Children"
44. "Once I Get Rid Of All My Debt Then I Will Start Thinking About Prepping"
45. "My Relatives Already Think That I Am A Nut Job - I Don't Need To Make It Any Worse"
46. "If People At Work Find Out That I Am Prepping It Could Hurt My Career"
47. "If There Really Was A Good Reason To Prepare They Would Tell Us About It On The News"
48. "People Have Been Predicting Doom And Gloom For Years And It Hasn't Happened Yet"
49. "The United States Is The Greatest Nation On Earth - There Is No Way That It Could Collapse"
50. "I Don't Plan On Becoming A Card Carrying Member Of The Tin Foil Hat Brigade"
When my three month supply of meds is consumed, I will be on borrowed time. If my diabetes doesn’t get me, then my heart will. Although, I am in cardiac rehab now and hope to be in better physical shape before teotwawki. Mostly I hope I survive long enough that I can clear most of the pond scum from our immediate area so as to let my wife and kids get clear.
The answer for “that guy” is
you may be a bigger badass than any one of us,
but you’re not a bigger badass than all of us.
insert inherent “I’m not a doctor” disclaimer
I’ve heard some great results from people who had diabetes who have gone “paleo” in their diet.
Fat & meat & veggies - few to no carbs.
search on “paleo solution”
#6 - counting on it, but hedging my bets.
I’m going to live a better life, if times get tough, or even if they don’t.
Growing your own food is prepping, but it’s also living better.
We are moving frequently for the next few years so moving a lot of food would be a pain.-——
Freeze dried is kinda of expensive(not if you count per serving and the cost of energy to do it yourself, and you’re own energy to get the food processed, and vaccuum sealed in cans)
but anyway, freeze dried is very very lightweight, easy to move...
Need water source.
You must be a mechanic... :)
Have you looked into “minimal tillage” alternatives?
How about these comments
I’ve experimented with a little guerrilla farming with limited success. Hiding small patches of various veggies in the weeds.
My neighbor and I do a lot of co prepping. We figure that between his small garden tractor and plow, 3 tillers total, and his son, we can wipe out around 5 acres in a day.
No matter what your age or sex.
This one is a Troy-Bilt my other tiller is a Techumseh that my great grandfather bought new back around 1947.
I like the heavy old tillers. They can really eat some dirt.
” instead of serving with a military faction restoring our freedoms “
Show us one of those, and a lot of us will sign up...
Individuals fighting, or ad hoc local guerilla groups, against an organized military may seem romantic as hell, but without command & control, and logistics, it’s just retail suicide...
An AWFUL LOT of us would sign up.
There is an enormous “militia movement” just waiting to get started. All it would take is a patriotic, charismatic leader with military credentials and the game would be afoot!
Every cop in town couldn’t hold the line against a committed band of raiders. But every gun-owner in town could.
As to guerrillas, well, quite properly combatants not in uniform using the populace as cover need to not be extended an offer of quarter in most cases. Asininely abandoning that Hallmark principle of western civility is one of the blunders GWB made that caused the recent wars in the middle east to go so slowly and turn into the messes they have become.
On our own soil, we who serve will not have the luxury to be that stupid.
You go around endangering civilians here by cowardly performing strikes undetectable to those you face..and not only will I be willing to put you down myself (even with common foes) ... I will explain to your survivors why what you did was wrong and how your demise was a good thing.
A little less cowardice people. We are all going to die at some point anyway. Try to have at least a smidgen of honor.
Until the moment comes for them to depart, then it is "SAVE ME! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!".
It's the same mentality of the druggies, who say "It's MY body. I can do what I want with it!" and then call 911 when they get a bad hit.
Where’s the honor in allowing TSA to fondle and molest our Mothers, Wives, Daughters, all women for that matter as well as children everyday and not saying or doing a thing to stop it.
” All it would take is a patriotic, charismatic leader with military credentials and the game would be afoot! “
At risk of repeating myself - please show us one...
There’s no argument that we desperately need a John Adams, a Thomas Jefferson, a Thom Paine, a George Washington... But all we get is Romney and Gingrich and McConnell and Boehner... (sigh)
>>>>My favorite: “5. “When Disaster Strikes I Will Just Steal From Everyone Else That Has Been Busy Preparing”
>>Don’t these people understand that guns/ammo top most prepper lists?
Heck, most preppers already had guns and ammo. They’re just broadening their scope.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.