Skip to comments.Talking Points for Freepers Re: Swift Boat Veterans for Truth - www.SwiftVets.com
Posted on 08/11/2004 10:35:19 PM PDT by The Shrew
We know that the Dems are planning to continue to politically attack the president. They are using their 527's to spend in excess of $400 million dollars to attack the President. They are also vigorously attacking the SwiftVets using Legal Terrorism
This is the Big Time, Freepers. This is the time when WE must step up and support. This is not yet the march in the streets we did in Florida and outside of Dick Cheney's house in 2000. This is a battle where the mainstream media are taking their marching orders directly from the DNC. They are going to crush this story; they are attacking the SwiftVets and their supporters.
Death threats, intimidation, email viruses and Denial-of-Service attacks against the Vets and their site are just the tip of the iceberg. It is going to get worse. Remember the Clinton Slime Machine? Therrrrrrre back!
Here is a summary of the attacks from James Hirsen ofThe Left Coast Reports
1. New Attack on Swift Boat Veterans
Top dog Democrats such as DNC ringleader Terry McAuliffe and Sen. Tom Harkin have publicly embraced Michael Moore's factually challenged waste of celluloid.
John Kerry recently used Moore-generated scenes to smear the president.
But curiously, when more than 200 decorated veterans created a one-minute TV spot expressing their views on the Dem candidate's war record, McAuliffe, DNC and buds squealed for the White House to declare war on these "partisan liars."
Sources indicate that a character assassination campaign is planned against Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, timed for the release of the book "Unfit for Command."
A preliminary counterattack has already begun. It is taking the form of an e-mail campaign titled "Swift Boat Vets are Dishonest, Dishonorable, Unpatriotic Liars," and comes from a group that calls itself the "Patriotic Veterans for Truth."
David Brock's Web site asks, "Who is Jerome Corsi, co-author of Swift Boat Vets attack book?" as it slimes Corsi with cherry-picked quotes that are taken out of context.
The Left Coast Report says, once again, the libs' slogan appears to be, 'Don't let the facts get in the way of attacks.'
Here is a thread focusing on Talking Points. I like Bob J's effort and want to link it to reemphasize that this Freeper Effort is about what we say and write to the media - not what the SwiftVets say and write to the media. Theirs is First Hand experience. They talk with a different legal level of authority than we - or Lanny Davis - speaks. Our mission here is to develop Freeper Answers for Letters to the Editor and talking points for Radio Talk Shows and other call in shows.
If you do nothing else, write or say "I support the Swift Boat Veterans. They have paid for their right to speak out on their experience in Vietnam with their service and their blood. They have every much a right to speak about their experience in Vietnam and with John Kerry as Senator Kerry does."
It is important to not overstate your case. I urge every Freeper to read the websites SwiftVets.com and WinterSoldier.com It is vitally important that we KNOW and understand the facts of this case. If you don't know - don't pretend that you know. Just state: "I support the Swift Boat Vets at SwiftVets.com" That is much better than stating something that is false or not current and then having your incorrect fact detract from your support.
What is all the fuss about? John O'Neill and Dr. Jerome Corsi have written a book titled: "Unfit for Command". Unfit for Command
This book details John Kerry's contemporaries in Vietnam and their experiences that relate to Kerry and his four and a half month service in Vietnam. It is a well researched personal testimony.
Consider these talking points:
1. The Swift Boat Veteran's have earned the right to tell their story.
2. John Kerry featured these same veteran's in his campaign literature even after 11 of them asked him to stop.
3. These men served close enough to John Kerry when he was using their photo for the last year in his campaign to describe his "Band of Brothers". Why is it now they were too far away to notice what he did?
4. John O'Neill - the primary author of "Unfit for Command" is giving any proceeds of royalties for his share of the book to Navy Relief.
5. These boats served in close proximity to one another - perhaps 5 - 25 yards. The enlisted men berthed, ate, slept and worked in close proximity. The officers worked, berthed, ate and slept in the same quarters. They knew John Kerry as well as anyone. It is his conduct out of the boats as well as his combat conduct that these men testify to. How he took his orders, how he carried out his orders, how he dealt with his peers and then how he commanded the men who served on his boat. These are all valid questions to ask a candidate for the office of Commander in Chief.
6. One member of the Swift Boat Veteran's served on Kerry's boat - Steve Gardner. "My name is Steve Gardner. I served in 1966 and 1967 on my first tour of duty in Vietnam on Swift boats, and I did my second tour in '68 and '69, involved with John Kerry in the last 2 1/2 months of my tour. The John Kerry that I know is not the John Kerry that everybody else is portraying. I served alongside him and behind him, five feet away from him in a gun tub, and watched as he made indecisive moves with our boat, put our boats in jeopardy, put our crews in jeopardy... if a man like that can't handle that 6-man crew boat, how can you expect him to be our Commander-in-Chief?" --Steven Gardner
7. How can a "seared" memory be a mistaken recollection? It's not. It's a lie. It was a lie in 1986, it was a lie in 1992. It's a lie today. Both the intial searing and the current recollection. Ergo - John Kerry is a liar.Kerry "Corrects Record," "Seared" Memory of Christmas in Cambodia Now "Mistaken Recollection" (Thanks to Egon)
8.Main anti-swift tactic now seems to be Corsi comments. Response? "Jesse Jackson called New York 'hymietown'. Does that invalidate the civil rights movement?" by Truecons. Sadly, a Freeper is the one who released this info to the other side. Let's hope this is the end of this. (Not Truecons.) Dr. Corsi is a Harvard trained historian. His qualifications are impeccable and this is a further example of the left attacking the messenger.
I'm not pretending to be an expert - if you have other suggestions, threads, links, etc. please post them here. We have lots and lots of "Guests" these days - demonstrate for them Internet Grassroots activism at its best!
I finally!!!!!! donated, online.
Other than that, I'll leave the suggestions to others and WILLINGLY follow their advice.
Thanks for the synopsis.
Doing what it takes to move our side toward the goalline!
His lie about Christmas 1968 was outed, then his handlers came up with "he was in Cambodia and just mixed up his dates."
This gives him an out by saying it was a secret mission, so he can't turn over his complete records.
Well, I'm hoping that others will read this and finally get off their duffs like I did. I'm SO ANGRY at the left for smearing these fine men.
This isn't political to these men. This is about the truth of their experience and the truth will out!
Letters to the Editor of your local paper is one of the best way to get the work out. People that vote, read the letters to the Editor.
This gives him an out by saying it was a secret mission, so he can't turn over his complete records.
But that's a lie too isn't it?
The American People are smart enough to figure this out. We just have to challenge the left, than I believe that they will be more flagrant in their lies and expose themselves for the liars they are! Just like in your excellent example!
An interpretation which has been offered of Kerry's Silver Star would, if accurate, illustrate this principle perfectly. A boat (not Kerry's) hits a mine; Kerry panics and hits the throttle, dumping on of his people off his boat. Some of the other boats think there's fire from shore and start shooting. Kerry, realizing there's no shooting from shore, goes back to retrieve the man who fell off his boat.
The man who fell off the boat would have heard all the shooting from the other boats and would have believed that their group was under attack. From his perception, Kerry would have been very brave to have returned to the firefight to retrieve him. It would certainly be more charitable for him to think that Kerry had acted quickly to save his boat and then acted bravely to save him, than to believe that the only reason he landed in the water in the first place was that Kerry panicked.
I don't know if that's how events actually transpired, but the guy who was in the water almost certainly doesn't either.
On Corsi, I would prefer saying that it was "satire", similar to that used by Al Franken or Michael Moore. The fact that he can write serious prose shows the versatility of his work.
Additionally, I would point out that Corsi is NOT one of the Vets. He merely helped them find their voice.
Go Swift Vets!
Christmas in Cambodia = A mistruth maintained by Kerry about his military service every single day for the last 30 years, until just today. How many more mistruths is Kerry still maintaining?
This is a really excellent point! Where are the freeper bloggers and writers?
Additional talking point: Howard Dean says George W Bush is more comfortable burning books than reading them. But there are zero examples of Bush burning books, even though hundreds of anti-Bush books have been published in the past 4 years. On the other hand, the Democrats would gladly destroy every single copy of this book and pretend it never existed.
You I think the coming smear job on the Swift Boat Vets is going to hurt Kerry more then the Swift Boat Vet ads.
The American public will see and hear hundreds of vets have attacked Kerry for lying and misusing them in his ads, then they'll see and hear the likes of Mike Moore go after them, all while Kerry says publicly his service means no one can criticize him...