Skip to comments.Two New Navy Ships
Posted on 03/04/2008 9:15:54 AM PST by Gopher Broke
Two New Navy Ships
USS RONALD REAGAN (CVN 76)
Seeing it next to the Arizona Memorial really puts its size into perspective... ENORMOUS.
When the Bridge pipes "Man the Rail" there is a lot of rail to man on this monster: shoulder to shoulder, around 4.5 acres. Her displacement is about 100,000 tons with full complement.
Top speed exceeds 30 knots, powered by two nuclear reactors that can operate for more than 20 years without refueling.
1. Expected to operate in the fleet for about 50 years.
2. Carries over 80 combat aircraft.
3. Three arresting cables can stop a 28-ton aircraft going 150 miles per hour in less than 400 feet.
1. Towers 20 stories above the waterline.
2. 1092 feet long; nearly as long as the Empire State Building is tall.
3. Flight deck covers 4.5 acres.
4. 4 bronze propellers, each 21 feet across, weighing 66,200 pounds.
5. 2 rudders, each 29 by 22 feet and weighing 50 tons.
6. 4 high speed aircraft elevators, each over 4,000 square feet.
1. Home to about 6,000 Navy personnel.
2. Carries enough food and supplies to operate for 90 days.
3. 18,150 meals served daily.
4. Distillation plants provide 400,000 gallons of fresh water from sea water daily, enough for 2000 homes.
5. Nearly 30,000 light fixtures and 1,325 miles of cable and wiring, 1,400 telephones.
6. 14,000 pillowcases and 28,000 sheets.
7. Costs the Navy approximately $250,000 per day for pier side operation.
8. Costs the Navy approximately $25 million per day for underway operations (Sailors' salaries included).
US Navy Welcomes the USS Bill Clinton
Sunday, July 2nd, 2007, Vancouver, BC, headed for Seattle, WA, the US Navy welcomed the latest member of its fleet today.
The USS William Jefferson Clinton (CVS 1) set sail today from its home port of Vancouver , BC.
The ship is the first of its kind in the Navy and is a standing legacy to President Bill Clinton "for his foresight in military budget cuts" and his conduct while president.
The ship is constructed nearly, entirely, from recycled aluminum and is completely, greenly, solar powered with a top speed of 5 knots.
It boasts an arsenal comprised of one (unarmed) F14 Tomcat or one (unarmed) F18 Hornet aircraft of which neither can be launched or catapulted from the 100 foot flight deck; but, they form a very menacing presence.
As a standing order there are no firearms allowed on board.
The 20 person crew is completely diversified, including members of all races, creeds, sex, and sexual orientation.
This crew, like the crew aboard the USS Jimmy Carter, is specially trained to avoid conflicts and appease any and all enemies of the United States at all costs!
An onboard Type One DNC Universal Translator can send out messages of apology in any language to anyone who may find America offensive. The number of apologies are limitless and though some may sound hollow and disingenuous, the Navy advises all apologies will sound very sincere.
The ship's purpose is not defined so much as a unit of national defense, but instead in times of conflict, the USS Clinton has orders to seek refuge in Canada .
The ship may be positioned near the Democratic National Party Headquarters for photo ops.
It will be a sad day if any line ship is named after that loser.
As part of a diversity recruiting program, all servicing of the USS William Jefferson Clinton will be performed by interns.
ping for viewing after work...
Believe me, the real USS Jimmy Carter (SSN23) is scarily agressive.
Did you know Clinton got his middle name, not from Thomas Jefferson, but from Jefferson Davis?
Thanks. Emailing to my liberal collegues.
So with only three cross deck pendants (arresting wires), does the savy Naval Aviator still want to catch a three wire?
Carolyn, how does the USS Barak Hussein Obama Sound?
God bless America, her people and our awesome US Armed Forces!
I served on the first two Nimitz-class aircraft carriers (as well as the JFK). AWESOME doesn’t even begin to describe these ships. there used to be a poster out (can’t find it now) showing a bow shot of one of these carriers with the caption: “90,000 Tons of Diplomacy”.
If a ship had to be named after Carter, a submarine, IMHO, was the best choice. By their very nature, no one ever hears about or sees a sub, unless the ship screws up dramatically. Also take into account that Jimmah was a submariner and one of Adm. Rickover’s “boys”.
“The USS William Jefferson Clinton (CVS 1) set sail today from its home port of Vancouver , BC. “
CVS is reserved for anti-submarine carriers. This poor excuse of a ship - aptly named for a sorry excuse of a President - should more likely be classified an AAGS (Anti American Garbage Scow.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.