Skip to comments.Glenn Beck: Media ignores Alaska's fiscal success during economic crisis
Posted on 02/18/2009 9:38:48 PM PST by smokingfrog
GLENN: Can anybody see that this stuff doesn't work? I mean, do we need to look past California? Can we stop and just look at California for a second? The entire state is near a shutdown. Lawmakers now can't come to an agreement on how to patch the gigantic hole in the budget. They are one short, one vote short to pass the budget. The state is poised to start laying off as many as 20,000 government workers. So you have some concept, the hole is so big, if they fired all employees, all state employees, they would only have half of what they need. If they shut down all prisons, that's only an extra 25%. They would still be 25% short.
But what I don't understand is how come California doesn't use Obamanomics? I mean, I really don't understand how come California just doesn't spend more. If they would just spend more, they could create more jobs.
How is this being portrayed in the media? Quote: Ideological Republicans won't adapt and are blocking progress. Arnold Schwarzenegger is a Republican and he helped negotiate this budget. Ideological Republicans won't help it pass. Of course in reality they're just saying, you know, the Republicans, "We can't cure our obesity by another year at Pizza Hut. Maybe we should hit Saladworks. Let's give that a whirl."
Well, there are some cuts in the budget, $15 billion worth, not insignificant. If you haven't believed me before when I say this is a crisis that is growing out of control, what else do you think would get Californians to cut their budget by $15 billion?
(Excerpt) Read more at glennbeck.com ...
Uh, yeah — that was my point. Money is fungible. It doesn’t matter if the cash that goes into a system comes from military payroll or welfare checks or the private sector.
However, you could make the argument and say, I don’t mind paying military salaries, but I dislike paying welfare folks to sit around and do nothing. That road leads you down a bad path to — I don’t mind building prisons, but hate building schools, etc. etc. etc.
Arnold OK’d BILLIONS in EMbryonic Stem Cell Research.....God will NOT be MOCKED.....Goodbye Calif.
They ‘ignore’ a LOT of stuff that fails to fit their template.
I think it’s McAllen. It was on the local Fox morning show a few weeks ago.
That said, in terms of raw employment growth between December 2007 and December 2008, here are the top 15 major metropolitan areas, and the only ones in the Department of Labor stats to show net job growth. Please take a look at who’s in the top 10 and where they are.
1. Houston, up 57,300 jobs
2. Dallas-Fort Worth, up 43,300 jobs
3. San Antonio, up 14,900 jobs
4. Washington, up 11,800 jobs
5. Austin, up 9,600 jobs
6. Virginia Beach-Norfolk, up 7,700 jobs
7. New Orleans, up 6,600 jobs
8. Oklahoma City, up 5,800 jobs
9. El Paso, up 5,300 jobs
10. Baton Rouge, up 4,000 jobs
11. Durham, N.C., up 1,700 jobs
12. Omaha, up 600 jobs
13. Greensboro, up 500 jobs
14. Tulsa, up 400 jobs
15. Raleigh, up 200 jobs
15. Seattle, up 200 jobs
Take out the above average Defense element and you will find that this is not true any more.
Take out the above average Defense element and you’ll find those states in a desperate situation.
Are you accusing God of cooking California’s books?
Makes you wish for his old style pillar of salt, locusts and plague days.
I heard one of the panel who vetoed it say that drilling would dissuade going for the green or some such.
I hate that CA does the stupidest crap in the world and now wants us to bail them out so they can do more. They are freaking incredible.
Crist is trying to lead us there in FL.
Doesn’t California have large oil/gas reserves just off shore? If so, and they had the balls to drill for it, it would help their current fiscal problems.
But it’s not about the money...isn’t it.
Beck has Gerald Celente on his radio show now.
I suspect the other problem is that parents send their kids to liberal urban schools. Liberals don't have enough kids to spread so they warp the minds of the children of others who willingly hand their kids over to them.
I’ve been hearing about the terrible economy in the early ‘80s and mid-’70s and told my husband I don’t recall it being bad. At the time I was living in Alaska, and the economy was fine. If you had a pulse, you could make a better-than-decent living. There’s an independent streak in the people there, and they keep on keepin’ on, able to ignore much of the crap in D.C.
I think it was this.
He just saved a load on his car insurance by switching to GEICO.
While driving along Highway 98 I can not help but notice that offshore drilling stops at the Alabama - Florida state line.
That is one of the reasons I will spend my tourist dollars in Alabama and not Florida next month.
Florida should have been drilling offshore for oil long before Crist, it makes for better fishing.
So that we’re all clear: California receives more in TOTAL military/defense (and other) federal funding than Alaska, but Alaska receives more federal funding PER CAPITA. Alaska relies much more heavily on federal funding, for everything from jobs to education, compared with CA.
I can’t find a neat little chart breaking it all down for us. But, if we want to look at non-defense spending, consider, for example, that Alaska receives far more per pupil in federal education spending than any other state:
“Federal contributions ranged from $2,181 per student in Alaska to $627 in Nevada” (2006):
And here’s a chart showing federal education spending in Alaska back in 2004, too:
States like CA pay more money into Washington than they receive in return because that’s where the higher income earners live. But, notice, they also receive less in federal spending per person for something like education.
The rest of us shouldn’t have to bail out any other state. CA politicians created the mess in CA. But, states like Alaska, which people tend to believe are “self-sufficient”, are the ones receiving more in federal funds, even for things that aren’t military/defense spending. Taxpayers in states like CA have been the ones whose income is being redistributed to other states.
Man.....you didn’t get what I meant then.......geesh....
I largely agree with your post, except:
“The rest of us shouldnt have to bail out any other state.”
As far as I’m concerned, we’re still “...one nation under God.”
You say that government created some inventions. So what if true? The free market doesn't need any inventions from government as the number of inventions and technology advancement is accelerating at an almost exponential rate in private industries like the computer industry. Now I see many government grants being given to global warming studies. that is your pure science? No that is fake science. So government doesn't work even there.
Computers will so powerful that they will become self aware and more intelligent than humans in a few decades, the singularity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity . So you want government to accelerate technological growth LOL. ( Not that government ever could improve technology or science as most of what they do is set science back by creating fake science like global warming).
Furthermore the trillions spend on government and the cost to freedom and to private investment those trillions that went to government are not worth it at all. You are a socialist/liberal and you should read Friedman's “Free to Choose” to see why government can never work.
These are just some of the dangers of letting government do anything besides national security, courts, police and border control and the inventions you say government created do not offset the cost and threat of socialism:
1. Government/socialism is not the solution to our problems but that government is the problem, yes even the beloved government schools are the problem (beloved education).
2. if the government keeps growing and owning more then Americans will lose their freedom and the U.S. will become a totalitarian state like the Soviet Union where we will all be like slaves. Socialism is slavery because a person is not allowed to own property or to keep the fruits of his labor. Therefore socialism is evil, morally wrong, takes away individual rights, and destroys a country economically.
2.Only Free market capitalism can give us productivity, and middle class living standards.Socialism doesn't work as it didn't in the Soviet Union. See Milton Friedman's book “ Free to Choose” to see why free market capitalism works but government /socialism doesn't work.
3.Any government program is like a metathesizing cancer tumor that always grows and never shrinks that causes harm to our freedom and prosperity by taking capital from productive free market investments
5. liberals/Democrats have created this huge government by the passing of laws for over a hundred years when the liberals had a pure monopoly on the Media ( there was no conservative talk radio or Internet and only William F. Buckley appeared after decades of total Democrat control of the media).
6. the right needs a strategy to roll back many of these leftist/Democrat government programs.
7. The Right has to write down the details of this strategy of how to dismantle these Marxist projects like the government schools, Medicaid,SSI, medicare, The EPA, FCC, FEC, HHS, etc. . For example identify and target which government programs must be dismantled first . Then Identify which laws must be repealed to roll back the government agency or program.
8. Lay out a plan to deport illegals( more Marxist voters) and close the border.
Here I'll start it off, My plan for Saving America and freedom:
1. Dismantle the EPA. Repeal all environmental laws.
2. Get rid of the government Schools and Dept of Education as they are unconstitutional.
3.Do away with the FCC, FEC and all laws like the Mccain-Feingold law that empower these agencies.
4. Get rid of the IRS and the income tax by repealing the 16th Amendment. On further thought,this should be priority number 1 as this takes away the Marxists funding for these programs and cripples most of the government programs as they will lack funds.
5.Deport all Illegals , build an electric fence and close the border.
6. Repeal the 17th Amendment (Give power back to the States).
7. Eliminate all welfare programs, SSI, HHS, HUD , Etc.
8. Remove all taxes, and regulations on private businesses and the free market ( separation of State and economy).
your plan is to grow government more. Read Hayek’s works, Milton Friedman's work, Adam Smith, Ayn Rand to see the threat that government poses.