Skip to comments.Why Conservatives Should Continue to Oppose Romney after the Nomination (Please provide input)
Posted on 04/10/2012 9:55:58 AM PDT by xzins
The basic reason Romney should be opposed by conservatives is that Romney is not a conservative. More specifically, Romney is the author of the $50 abortion, the originator of the gay marriage license, and the founder of big government-forced health care.
Those 3 are a mix of social and fiscal issues. The conclusion is that Romney is neither a fiscal conservative nor a social conservative. His tenure as governor of Massachusetts proves that point.
Now, as Romney is touted as the “etch-a-sketch” candidate who will shortly begin his tack to the left, principled conservatives will do well to begin listing their reasons for not ever supporting Mitt Romney for anything other than Citizen Mitt.
1. Abortion: Romney is the author of the $50 abortion.
2. Gay Marriage: Romney signed legislation requiring the issuing of gay marriage licenses. Romney has tried to “moderate” his position by becoming pro-gay union....big deal. He once told gay operatives that he was the gay lobby's best hope for getting their agenda into the republican party. (Look at that, too, in terms of abortion and judicial selections.)
3. RomneyCare: Sadly, Mitt thinks it's just fine to have state governments force you to buy health insurance. I suppose he finds the power to do that in the US Constitution. Oh...I remember...the place where the Constitution says “states can force the people to buy things they don't want to buy and enter into contracts they don't want to enter into.”
4. Give notice to the GOP-Establishment: It probably is very wise to shove down their throat what they are trying to shove down ours. They are not the masters of the conservative universe. Allowing them to think they are will simply encourage more of the same in the future. I'm sure the romney-bots and the romney-enablers will want their say about Romney opponents handing the election to Obama, but the manipulation by the GOP-E is what will lead to that.
5. Romney's “Scorched Earth” Campaign: Romney has divided conservatives and seriously weakened voter turnout. His strategy, liberal that he is, was to run ads via his SuperPac pigeonholing the conservative purity of his opponents. That kind of outrageous hypocrisy deserves punishment and not reward.
6. Conservative Resignation to supporting Romney appears to be surrender of conservative principle. The results of that could be far-reaching. It could mean that the republican movement is totally abandoned to the liberal establishment.
7. Judicial Appointments: "Liberty Counsel Action Vice President Matt Barber said Romneys appointments were constitutional living document poster children.
Many of Romneys appointments were not only liberal, not only Democrats, but were radical counter-constitutionalists. How on earth can we expect that, as president, he would be any different? Barber asked rhetorically."
8. Other reasons "Conservatives Should Continue to Oppose Romney after the Nomination" are welcome. Please post them below.
That would be doing just what the left would want you to do! I will gladly vote for Romney against Obama. Romney was far from what I wanted but he will be the nominee and so be it. We have to deal with the cards we are dealt unless anyone has a better suggestion?
I’m on your side.
I’ll oppose Romney all the way to the general election if he is the candidate.
I’m not voting for the Crypto-Communist, or his 2nd Cousin, the lying, left-wing, Progressive Liberal Mitt Romney.
Romney is it....hold your nose, close your eyes,hum to your self...but in the end WE NEED TO GET THE DICTATOR OUT OF OFFICE....
some of you pray for everything....why can't we just get rid of bamey and then pray for Romney?....
Oh, great. Then we can support Obama instead and get a 5th and 6th Communist appointed to the Supreme Court, at which point the entire Constitution is deader than a doornail, and all personal liberty is a thing of the past. Can anyone say National Progressive Fascism?
Absolutely agree. Anyone, including Romney, is better than Obama!!!
He can be pressured to appoint conservative justices, at least there is that chance.
Obama will destroy this country. Period.
If you think we can survive four more years of Obama, you are truly an idiot.
And if you and people like you sit home, that is what will happen. And it will be on you. Personally, people like you make me sick.
No. Get him elected, then oppose him. We’re clearly going to have to send some men to the house and senate that will lead from there. Mitt will do what he’s told, if we have the numbers. And after that, we will OWN the republican party.
Amen, SoCon. I’m sick of the “hold-my-nose” vote. Never again.
Romney is not now and never has been a conservative.
Why Conservatives Should Commit Suicide by I M. Adumbass
Foreword by I P. Freely.
In a less dangerous time we could afford to be a little more stubborn.
Fact is, I have a problem with ALL of the candidates, however I am not so stubborn that I will sit this one out.
The man currently leading our country wants to destroy Christians and white people, it’s that simple.
Obama vs. Pol Pot or Joseph Stalin would be a tough decision. Obama vs. Romney is not. It is like a choice between your child getting incurable cancer or a bad cold.
That’s right keep doing that and you guarantee another Obama term...this means disaster for the US.
Conservatives need to do two things:
1) Do EVERYTHING they can to elect conservatives to the House and Senate
2) Do EVERYTHING they can to make sure Obama is a one term president
Someday we will all be dead.
Is that fact any reason to hasten that day, for all of us?
There is absolutely no evidence to indicate that the Conservative movement will EVER be united, behind anyone.
Look at the nasty attacks between the Gingrich and Santorum camps, right here on FR!
I prefer to prolong my “life” as I know it, as long as possible.
I do not wish the quick SUICIDE of Obama!
We're all over Free Republic, a CONSERVATIVE site.
The real question is "What are you doing here?"
If the GOP takes the Senate and maintains the House and Romney is president, the Senate and House will move quickly on left leaning legislation because that’s what Romney will want. If Obama is president and the Senate and House are GOP then the GOP will put up some meek token opposition. If Romney wins and the Senate and House are Dim, Romney will do a lot of reach out and we’ll get more progressive crap too.
U sound like you will get what you deserve.
and when they came for me....
nice way to pull the trigger of the gun pointed at your head