Skip to comments.Iranian Alert - August 22, 2006 - What is Iran planning for Tuesday, August 22nd?
Posted on 08/22/2006 9:54:55 AM PDT by DoctorZIn
Top News Story
What is Iran planning for Tuesday, August 22nd?
- ABC News reported that many are concerned with Iran's promise to respond August 22nd to the UN's nuclear offer. August 22nd marks a holy day on the Islamic calendar that is the day of reckoning for Shiites. Islamic expert Robert Spencer said: "The only thing we can know is that the date was not chosen by accident."
- Daveed Gartenstein-Ross, Counterterrorismblog saw a possible connection between North Korea's possible nuclear test and Iran's self imposed nuclear deadline of August 22nd.
- Yahoo News reported that Iran has turned away U.N. inspectors wanting to examine its underground nuclear site in an apparent violation of the Nonproliferation Treaty.
- Adnkronos International reported that just hours before Iran is due to give world powers its response to a package of incentives aimed at persuading the country to give up its nuclear activities, new centrifuges have been installed at the Natanz uranium enrichment facility.
- CNN News reported that Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Monday the Islamic Republic had decided to press ahead with its pursuit of nuclear energy.
Here are a few significant reports that explain why so many are concerned about August 22nd.
- Robert Spencer, FrontPageMagazine.com: Iran's Day of Terror?
- Bernard Lewis, The Wall Street Journal: August 22nd.
- Patrick Poole, FrontPageMagazine.com: Ahmadinejad’s Apocalyptic Faith.
Many Iranians are convinced that regime wants the nuclear bomb.
- Spiegel Online reported that while the Iranian government appears set to reject the European incentive package on Tuesday. Most Iranians themselves don't know what to think. But many believe that the regime wants the nuclear bomb.
What worries many is Iran is once again exporting its "Islamic Revolution."
- Tariq Alhomayed, Asharq Alawsat argued that what we are witnessing today is not a by-product of the issue of Iran's nuclear activities, but rather something more important: Iran’s resumption of exporting the "Islamic revolution."
Arabs gather to counter Iran's effort to win the hearts and minds of the Lebanese.
- Haaretz reported that Arab League foreign ministers convened for an emergency meeting in Cairo to discuss a plan to create a fund to rebuild Lebanon. Arabs want to counter the flood of money that is believed to be coming from Iran to Hezbollah to finance reconstruction projects.
Here are a few other news items you may have missed.
- The New York Times reported that Venezuela's recent engagement of Iran has become a defining element in its effort to build an alliance to curb American influence in developing countries.
- John R. Thomson, National Review Online wondered when will the United States and its allies to take action against a founding member of the Axis of Evil?
- Reuters reported that Iran's government has urged the judiciary to clamp down on newspapers which spread "lies." (Nothing new here).
there are only 3-4 hours left on the 22nd for them.
The foiled airline bombers may have been their "surprise" and now they don't have another plan.............
It's only 9:15pm there........
porn or singing?
Guess the Mahdi had a little problem crawling out of his well... having no food sent down to you for a thousand years might make climbing a little difficult.
On some days I might agree, but I'm just not feeling it today. It is the US that doesn't have the stomach. We can't even take prisoners and ask them questions. We can't hurt anyone's feelings. Even Israel is now unable to defend itself. Hezbollah and its allies in the left have the momentum. Any reaction to any provocation in the near term will be undermined before it can be useful.
It's going to be a tough time. Things are going to get far, far worse before the will to fight returns to the West. Probably too late.
Thankfully, Apocalypalooza 2006 is going down without a bang.
That 12th Imam crap is just a joke to freak out all the infidels. This guy and his mullah bosses are just buying time. They turn away U.N. inspectors. They are working on WMD. Does this all sound like a replay?
As I have been saying, this date was solely for the purpose of focusing world attention on Iran as an Islamic religious authority. There was no surprise to wait for - the message was conveyed simply by the date itself, an Islamic holy day.
1) explode a device, and kill people....2) imply that that you will explode a device and kill people....3)announce that you have a killing deviceIsn't Islam wonderful? Don't they just lift your heart with inspiration? What a joy they are! What a wonderful group of people to be sharing the planet with!
My theory is that they wanted to choose their own date rather than have it set for them. They did not want to appear to be responding to any deadline set by someone else, they want to control the agenda. The Islamic holy day was a logical choice for the reasons you state.
Agree. You wont tell us what to do - we will tell you kinda thing. Islamic day gives it extra punch to their masses.
It's 5:00 on the east coast, which means it's midnight in Iran (I think it's 7 hours difference). It's already tomorrow, and they didn't do anything.